DrVenkman PhD
Members-
Posts
9713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD
-
Yeah, the problems with the insert have been documented (Eddie AND Chavo are called Guerrera, Halloween Havoc is called Halloween House). I don't know if the actual production of the DVD suffers from this problem though, haven't made it that far yet (right when I got to watching the DVD, I ended up buying SVR 08).
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
I noticed yesterday WWE.com did update their weekly schedule (with no clues for the Shorties) but still isn't telling us what's on tap next month. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but you'd think the perfect theme for January would be celebrating Raw's 15th Anniversary. Throw a few classic Raws in TV Classics, Shorties can be 10 classic Raw bouts, etc. -
Yeah I figured there was probably some sort of trigger action involved.
-
I think I'm going to change my mind on this whole new run mechanic now that I realize, barring me doing something wrong, everyone only has one running attack now. Giving a tag team one of the King entrances makes it all worth it though. MVP walking down to the ring in a robe and crown while Elijah Burke struts is stuff = good times.
-
All I can think about when I hear about this is Milhouse's "Watchmen Babies: V for Vacation" DVD from The Simpsons.
-
It's not like he wasn't in good shape when he was stinking up the ring in the 90s... but I'm a Sid mark, so hooray! Another topic I was thinking of over in the Video Games folder (in relation to SVR 08) is why people don't seem to like Justin Roberts. I love the way he enthusiastically announces names.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Well, Stacy's music has to be dubbed over which causes that crowd issue. I know around this time they seemed to be having DVD rights issues over Booker's theme, but I thought he came out to the "Can You Dig It" theme from Originals at this show. Not sure why they'd need to dub that over with a new song and crowd noise. -
Watched a download on Friday, decided it was worth buying the DVD for. I enjoyed the commentary track on said DVD. The commentary on "A Terrifying Message from Al Gore" is really good too. I didn't necessarily find this hilariously funny, but it was a really interesting story and I thought it played out great.
-
It's very annoying how they take the time to have Styles and JBL record new commentary... then just hand them the same lines as everyone else. Good Lord was it awful to hear Joey repeat Michael Cole's usual line of "it's the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT business!" as a response to Tazz chiding you for taunting. That was kind of made up for when later in the match, Tazz said the seemingly random shoot-ish comment "When I was a wrestler, or as they say in THIS company, in-ring performer...". That amused me. Justin Roberts did some damn fine recording for ring introductions, further making me not understand why everyone on the net hates him. In answer to my own question from earlier, they apparently did fix the tag team name intro problem from 07. Not sure how it would work for new stables, but for the pre-made ones (or at least Rated RKO), you get "total combined weight", both names, and the team name.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
I usually just FF through it to look for clips of what to expect where we're not quite sure what to expect (like the Shorties). It was a much more revealing show between the time period that WWE.com removed their monthly schedule (side note: it only took them two weeks to give up on doing timely updates of their new weekly schedule. Oh well) and I knew that Sunflower site existed. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Yep. You also have the Dixie Dogfight between Miz and Puder, Big Show vs. Team Angle II, and Kurt Angle vs. Santa Claus. -
Who is the theatre audience booing and cheering and yelling at when they watch wrestling there? It's just getting caught up in an audience of more than you and your friends.
-
Ha, yeah, the You-Rain-Gee. That was weird.
-
That's a typo, I noticed that too and wondered about it. If you watched Raw on Monday, Kennedy showed the DVD and revealed all 3 discs.
-
The real baffler is the booking of Sabu in 2006. Yeah, I get that he was involved in the same drug pull-over situation RVD was, but it just seemed so odd to see someone go from coming so close to winning the World Title at ONS, getting a PPV bout with John Cena, and being built up as the one man Big Show couldn't beat get soundly beaten by Big Show every TV match they had after SummerSlam, have a piss poor performance at the Rumble, then be shown the door.
-
Commentary will never be as bad as it was in Just Bring It. I figured out of all the SD games, I would never touch it again and gave it away to EB. Now I'll never hear that disjointed commentary again. No one can defeat ..... DDT!
-
I haven't put a lot of time into the game but, though I found myself right confused having an Extreme Rules match between Punk and Nitro, I'm having fun with the new controls and styles... but I'm basing this "fun" on the idea I'm going to learn to accept them, much like I did with analog control and UCMs last year. It was neat to just randomly light a 2x4 on fire, I'll give it that. Using L1 to run is taking some getting used to, but holy crap, running is awesome this year! It's like... Ultimate Control Running or something. I just assumed it was standard running controls again this year but was happy to see you can literally run circles around your opponent. I also like not bashing buttons during a submission hold. I started doing 24/7 mode as a GM instead of a wrestler so I have no comments with the complaints there (though I've read some reviews saying it's better than last year, not worse, so I guess it's personal opinion). I'm having fun micromanaging ECW and failing at action movies with HHH (but having "big success" with Kelly Kelly) but I can see this getting old. One thing that is pissing me off is the training exercises. I never schedule them because the one time I did I failed all 3 and haven't clue one what I'm supposed to bother doing. I think it's funny that complaints about this series are often how it's stale and nothing is ever added or upgraded over the previous addition, but when things are added or changed it's a huge complaint too. Of course I'm just generalizing the real issue: bugs, glitches, and problems from previous additions NOT being corrected and left the same while the new things that are added are not liked. Apparently the Anaconda Vice is the Kenton Bomb, says Tazz... so that problem still exists. Do they still announce tag teams as one person too?
-
"But some people may not know if they have a normal TV or widescreen TV" And I thought I was ignorant to TV based technology...
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Armageddon 2004 is not a good show, but (according to my memory) Rey/RVD vs. Dupree/Kenzo was a good tag team match (seriously) and the 4 way main event was good too (of course people were mad 3 years ago that JBL was still champ). I think Funaki also wins the CW title on that show. Shorties spoilers: Watching the preview show, it appears that some of the 25 Shorties will include the always fun Patterson vs. Slaughter boot camp match, Rock vs Hogan, Hogan vs Bockwinkle (they actually showed a program graphic for this one, the rest I'm going off of 1 second clips), Savage vs. Steamboat, Steamboat vs. Flair (in the 1 second it was on screen, looked like the Wrestlewar match... makes sense as I believe that is HHH's favourite match). -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Should have known Rey vs Juvi was on that ECW show since I just watched it yesterday (though the DVD graphic said "November 1996" - I knew that was wrong so I checked the jacket, and it said February 96... might have even had the date (2nd or 4th). Diamondust: Sunflower never / rarely lists the Roundtable schedule. Much like Cogeco, I don't know if they even get them. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
WWE 24/7 Schedule breakdown for December 2007: Week 1 - November 28th - December 4th: Free Section: WWE 24/7 December Preview History of the WWE Championship Preview Holiday TNT Preview Tribute to the Troops Preview Legends: Hall of Fame Profile - Jesse "The Body" Ventura (5 weeks) East West Connection vs. The High Flyers (AWA - 1 week) Jesse Ventura vs. Ivan Putski (1 week) History of the WWE Championship - Part 1 (2 weeks). History of the WWE Championship - Part 2 (2 weeks). The Big Ones: Armageddon 2003: Kane vs. HHH vs. Bill Goldberg (World Heavyweight Championship), Randy Orton vs Rob Van Dam (Intercontinental Championship) (2 parts - 3 weeks). WWE Unforgiven 2007: John Cena vs. Randy Orton (WWE Championship) (2 weeks). TV Classics: ECW Hardcore TV - February 4, 1996: Don't know, but TRYING to find TV recaps revealed that Jericho made his debut at a live event 2 days prior to this. Will he be on the show? Tune in and fine out! (2 weeks). World Class Championship Wrestling (3 weeks) NWA Wrestling - January 18, 1986 (2 weeks) WWE Primetime Wrestling - August 17, 1987: Oliver Humperdink debuts! Powers and Roma vs. Hart Foundation (1 week). Shorties: Shorties are not following the normal format this month - there will be 25 different Shorties, a new one each day beginning December 1st. December 1st: Triple H's Gift (1 week). December 2nd: Val Venis' Gift (1 week). December 3rd: Chuck Palumbo's Gift (1 week). December 4th: Gene Okerlund's Gift (1 week). Week 2 - December 5th - December 11th: Legends: Jesse Ventura 6 Man Tag (2 weeks). Jesse Ventura vs. Bob Backlund (2 weeks). Big Ones: WWE Old School - Meadowlands - December 10, 1984: The commentary team of Gorilla Monsoon and Howard Finkel call the action of matches like Bobby "The Brain" Heenan vs S.D. Jones and Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd in a $15,000 Bodyslam match (2 weeks). TV Classics: Monday Night War - April 28, 1997: Nitro is only an hour due to the NBA Playoffs and features Syxx vs. Juventud Gurrera and The Giant & Lex Luger vs. The Amazing French Canadians. Raw features Owen Hart vs. Rocky Mavia for the IC title, LOD vs Furnas & Lafon, and The Undertaker vs. The British Bulldog (2 weeks). WWE TNT - March 14, 1986 (1 week). WWE Tribute to the Troops 2006 (starts on the 9th, lasts until January 1st): Undertaker vs Johnny Nitro, Shelton Benjamin vs. CM Punk, Carlito vs. Randy Orton. Shorties: December 5th: Mickie James' Gift (1 week). December 6th: The Coach's Gift(1 week). December 7th: CM Punk's Gift (1 week). December 8th: Shawn Michaels' Gift (1 week). December 9th: Michael Cole's Gift (1 week). December 10th: William Regal's Gift (1 week). December 11th: Jack Korpela's Gift (1 week). Week 3 - December 12th - December 18th: Legends: History of the WWE Championship Part 3 (2 weeks). History of the WWE Championship Part 4 (2 weeks). TV Classics: NWA Wrestling - January 25, 1986 (2 weeks). WWE Monday Night Raw - December 22, 1997: Christmas themed Raw featuring Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels for the European Championship and Steve Austin confronting Santa Claus (3 weeks). WWE Primetime Wrestling - December 21, 1992: Persumably Christmas themed and featuring a Round Table format (unless this format died before the show did), Matches include Papa Shango vs. Marty Jannetty and Skinner vs. Bob Backlund. Shorties: December 12th: Miz's Gift (1 week). December 13th: Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Gift (1 week). December 14th: Howard Finkel's Gift (1 week). December 15th: Ric Flair's Gift (1 week). December 16th: Maria's Gift (1 week). December 17th: Mark Henry's Gift (1 week). December 18th: Dean Malenko's Gift (expires January 1st). Week 4 - December 19th - December 25th: Legends: Jesse Ventura vs. Hulk Hogan (2 weeks). Jesse Ventura vs. Rocky Johnson (2 weeks). Big Ones: WCW Starrcade 1998: Features Cruiserweight Champion Billy Kidman defending his title in a Triangle Match against Juventud Guerrera and Rey Mysterio as well as the winner defending the title against Eddie Guerrero in the next match. Also, Nash vs. Goldberg for the WCW title. (2 weeks) WWE Old School - Madison Square Garden - December 26, 1987: As per the WWE.com preview, features Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude and Randy Savage vs. Honky Tonk Man for the IC title. Also features Sensational Sherri vs. Rockin Robin for the Ladies Title. TV Classics: Monday Night War - May 5, 1997: Raw features a revealing out of character interview with Dustin "Goldust" Runnels as well as a LOD vs Furnas & Lafon rematch, plus Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The British Bulldog. Nitro is once again 1 hour due to the NBA and features Syxx vs. Rey Mysterio. WWE TNT - Holiday Special. Shorties: December 19th: Tazz's Gift (expires January 1st). December 20th: Mr. Kennedy's Gift (expires January 1st). December 21st: Kenny Dykstra's Gift (expires January 1st). December 22nd: Pat Patterson's Gift (expires January 1st). December 23rd: Joey Styles' Gift (expires January 1st). December 24th: Tommy Dreamer's Gift (expires January 1st). December 25th: John Cena's Gift (expires January 1st). Week 5 - December 26th - January 1st: Legends: History of the WWE Championship Part 5 (2 weeks). History of the WWE Championship Part 6 (2 weeks). Big Ones: WWE No Mercy 2007: Not one, not two, but three WWE title matches! Who walked out of Chicago with the vacant title? TV Classics: NWA Wrestling - February 8, 1986 (2 weeks). --- I have a bad feeling this different format of adding content is going to confuse cable companies and result in too many technical difficulties. I am pretty pumped for the 25 gifts (assuming they are uploaded correctly by Cogeco) but we'll see. I'm looking forward to these Raws and the Christmas Primetime. One of the main reasons I didn't get the Championship DVD is that a lot of the matches I already had on DVD but it will be nice to have them collected on this program for me to watch on 24/7. I hope they keep the portion of the DVD I heard showed every title change they had footage for. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Must have JUST put it up, I checked before I posted and it wasn't there. I'll look it over and do my usual Weekly Updates schedule that everyone ignores and says "What's new this week?". Armageddon 2003? Weak. A 1992 PrimeTime Wrestling? Awesome! That would be one of the last episodes too. -
Still no full schedule but at least WWE.com does weekly updates now: I always am happy to see a WCW PPV in Big Ones even if I end up dissapointed. This "daily shortie" gimmick of favourite matches seems promising too. The 1997 Holiday Raw was shown last year and naturally was nowhere near as good as my memory of it as a teenager put it, but it was still a fun nostalgic trip. The Championship DVD is a nice treat to those of us without it (me) and a kick in the ass to those who bought it (alkeiper).
-
I have the Shawn DVD on the way, but it's now been put into the Christmas Present category (along with volumes 1+2 of the Rumble) and paid for by someone else, so I won't be seeing it for a month. In the meantime, I'm watching the Rey DVD. It seems well put together.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - November 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
What the hell, Austin vs. Mero at KOTR 96 is great.