DrVenkman PhD
Members-
Posts
9713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD
-
Glad to see their doing (almost) the same angle Noble did with Billy and Torrie with Chuck and Michelle now. Michael Hayes promos are always a good time.
-
How exactly is Scott Hall no-showing a PPV a SHOCKING event? I thought it was dumb to book him or Nash to wrestle in a PPV main event in the first place. TNA Rep, how are you defending TNA making paying costumers watch Impact to find out the status of their briefcases? If you already answered, sorry, but there's a lot of TL;DR going on in this thread.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Apparently nothing won the PYBO for this month (well, I'm sure something did, but the changed the page without putting up the results). PYBO for January is the May 17, 1993 Raw (Razor vs Kid, Michaels vs Jannetty), the MSG '97 Raw (Cactus vs HHH, Austin/McMahon segment), and the December 29, 2003 Raw (HHH vs HBK). Not that I care since Cogeco probably won't get it anyway, but I suggest the 1993 Raw. Though if I weren't picking up the Shawn DVD, I'd really consider the 2003 Raw. The 1997 one will be shown sometime in 2008 anyway. And hey, looks like I read WWE's mind on doing a Raw-based theme... though I wish they just showed at least two of those Raw's in TV Classics anyway. -
I got lucky and won the MITB on the first try. I used the trick I did last year to win all of the Legend challenges - turned all of the AI sliders to zero - but the match was still such a bitch last year and still the same this year. The case meter actually seems to drop about 3x slower than it did last year. But, the match is won, and I never, ever need to do it again. On that note, I'm wondering if I ever needed to in the first place. I was awarded Hall of Famer status with 3 or so challenges still open (Hardys TLC, GM of the Year, and raising a made up stables attribute level to max and beating DX). It's a bit weird how the default WWE Attitude champion is Ric Flair and the default WCW champion is Steve Austin. I think that should be reversed.
-
I think it's funny that they've decided to use Peter Griffin of all people to advertise the sandwich AND have him say something like that "Take that, Jared!" at the end of the ad. Are they trying to get away from their health concious image?
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
The drive home from Joe Louis Arena after the SD/ECW taping in October was actually very nice for this very reason... so much of the crowd took off before / during ECW. -
WWE General Discussion - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to Hunter's Torn Quad's topic in The WWE Folder
Bah, they just C&P'd that from Meltzer's update yesterday. I checked for that on WWE.com and it sounded like it still said Punk had to wrestle them on the TV show, but there was a quick mention in the Power 25 about choosing them for Armageddon. I figure Punk retains somehow either way. Remember when he was supposed to drop it back to Morrison almost immediately after John's suspension ended? -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
"ECW Network Debut 8/27/99 – A look back at the momentous network television debut of ECW. Tazz and Joey Styles recap the event and tell the behind-the-scenes story of how things didn’t go exactly as planned. Highlights include Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn for the ECW TV title and Tazz vs. Rhyno for the ECW World Championship". And yeah, zio here has a point. The WWE.com description says it's 15 Shorties of people making their first "big impression" on Raw, not necessarily their debut. On that note, if it IS Raw debuts, it would actually be Batista, protege of Ric Flair, squashing Justin Credible that would be shown. The Deacon was a SmackDown exclusive gimmick. Re: Blurring of the "Superstars of Wrestling" banners. It's been mentioned a few times (but I'm not coming up with any source to quote right now) that there is a trademark issue with the term "Superstars of Wrestling", which is why the show eventually became "WWF Superstars". Sadly when I asked this question to Meltzer a year ago (because when 24/7 aired the Christmas 89 Primetime, they did one of those picture in picture interviews and the screen background was a completely anachronistic "Superstars" logo with the new generation style logo) he answered me in the letters section of WO.com instead of a personal reply. The searchable archives on that site are, for all intents and purposes, non-existent, so I'll have to search for it. Speaking of things normally blurred, I find it a bit amusing that it's a-ok to have a shirt that says "WW F'n F" as seen on ECW. The extra F makes all the difference (seriously... it's like how they can say "WWWF"). Edit: Found it. "There was a lawsuit many years ago by George Cannon who claimed the name Superstars of Wrestling, so for legal reasons, it was changed to WWF Superstars". -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
WWE.com updated the 24/7 page. They haven't announced the PYBO winner yet but next month's theme is "Biggest Bangs and Dazzling Debuts". Highlights: Legends: Strongbow HOF piece, Legends roundtable about The Territories. Big Ones: Rumble 88, Bash at the Beach 94. TV Classics: First episode of Raw, "Black Saturday" episode of World Championship Wrestling, and the debut of ECW on TNN. Shorties: 15 Raw debuts hosted by Santino including Batista, Triple H, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Mankind and The Hardy Boys. I like the sound of it. -
As far as encounters in the Fed: November 10, 1987 - Vancouver: WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, & Jim Duggan defeated King Kong Bundy, Rick Rude, & King Harley Race. December 26, 1987 - New Haven, CT: Randy Savage fought Rick Rude to a 20-minute time-limit draw. And then finally almost a year later (12/12/88) at a Phoenix house show - WWF World Champion Randy Savage pinned Rick Rude, then a few more shows around this time. Doubt any were taped.
-
Well, that's how I knew I didn't do it, because I went back to that screen. It sounds like Joey Styles says "WWF" when he talks about Kenny's role in the Spirit Squad.
-
A better feature would be a retrospective, but I could see them slapping the anniversary show on disc 1. That still leaves some room on disc 1 and 2 other discs of extra matches that I'd like to know about.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
That was actually a nice little match. It's always weird to see a match from a time prior to someone establishing their finisher - in this case, Carlito doing what would become his finisher in 2006 about 30 seconds into this match. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Man you get your updates early, even more considering the West Coast time difference. -
I wasn't even paying enough attention to catch that. The one with Foley is being marketed as an "autographed card" included with the DVD. So, putting 2 and 2 together, the card probably has everyone's autograph on it but for obvious reasons getting a copy of Foley's was easier than a copy of Bret's.
-
WWE General Discussion - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to Hunter's Torn Quad's topic in The WWE Folder
I was thinking about that today while playing SVR - with Jericho, HHH, HBK, and Flair all back on Raw as faces since Lashley's injury and Kennedy's heel push stuck in neutral (barring the results of how this HBK feud goes), what's Lashley going to do? All those faces can't all feud with Orton at the same time, either. Someone is going to have to go heel or Lashley will have to go to SmackDown. -
It would be nice if WWE.com said more than "Raw is amazing! Buy this DVD to commemorate 15 years of it!".
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
When I read that description this morning, I thought "Oh crap... HHH's gift is TNT" and future lame things like that would follow. I also assumed it was a mistake, which obviously it was. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Kinda funny how this "Shortie" is longer than half of the programs in TV Classics. -
That was a great GTS set-up and delivery.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Shouldn't the Miz match be Miz vs. Puder in a Dixe Dogfight? I guess he wasn't under official WWE contract during that time period so this would technically be correct. Edge vs Eddie Guerrero = good times. -
The show opening without the WWE Signature opening is a bit strange.
-
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
Right, and I own all of those already from their original releases... except 1999, but who cares about that show? That said, I have a crazy interest in seeing that awful show again. -
WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
I pretty much think the day to day thing should be done every month to give us several Shorties but I'm pretty sure it's a Christmas present type deal. Since I'm getting the Rumble Anthology (well, the two volumes making up the part of the Anthology I don't own already) for Christmas, I'd be pretty bummed if their Big Ones and Shorties were Rumble based (I'm not looking forward to this March either). Last year's Tag Team theme was pretty great, but I missed a lot of it due to programming errors / me being out of town. -
So, I was awarded GM of the Year one year and eventually reached 100% on the "GM of the Year" meter, but neither of these seemed to do jack for giving me the Hall of Fame achievement. What the Hell?