Jump to content

cabbageboy

Members
  • Posts

    8833
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by cabbageboy

  1. I actually don't think Unforgiven 2002 ended RVD's potential in the title scene at all...if anything that show itself SHOULD have led to rematches given the screwy Flair heel turn. At the time I wasn't enormously upset about it because I thought (logically) that "RVD will now trash Flair at the next PPV, then get a rematch at Survivor Series." Given the recent shoot nature of Raw why not let RVD do some shoot style promos a la his Barely Legal one? Cena's shelf life as a face is going to prove limited I think (SS against Jericho was the first rumblings of fans turning against Cena) and RVD is really the only other guy on Raw who could get a consistently good face reaction.
  2. The NL Wildcard is going to likely be someone I either hate or don't care about. I kinda wanted the Nationals to win it, but they are fading. So it is down to the Phillies (bland team I care nothing about), the Marlins (team I hate), Astros (team I really hate), and the Mets (team I wish would go away). Why is everyone (especially ESPN) pimping the Marlins? They haven't shown much in terms of consistency all year...they might have a couple of great games with shutouts, then the next day give up 10 runs. The absolute worst scenario I can think of in the NL playoffs is for the Marlins to get the wild card and have Willis, Beckett, etc. get hot vs. the Cardinals.
  3. I think that there could be some serious money in an RVD/HHH feud, if both guys were willing to play ball. It always blew my mind that they never did anything with the events in the Elimination Chamber where RVD damn near killed HHH, I suppose because RVD was a face and HHH a heel. The main problem is that it would inevitably call for HHH to job at some point and I doubt he'd do it. But just imagine them showing footage of RVD radio interviews where he shoots all over HHH, saying basically that he's an asshole and the "least likely guy to be found at RVD's pool." A part of me thinks that Van Dam has been working with those comments...they remind me too much of his ECW prodigy chats where he'd stay semi in character and just trash everyone in hilarious fashion.
  4. Hell, Kennedy was awesome on OVW tonight. In the screen time he had he made fun of Dean Hill's profane outburst last week, explained his name change, denied being aligned with Johnny Jeter, pimped Daniel Puder, then actually was plotting with Jeter, and then hit on Maria.
  5. Eh, if they were going to do that sort of feud why not sign Ron Killings? At least he is experienced at these race baiting angles. Him feuding with Cena is a natural anyway. Van Dam's mic skills in WWE aren't a big problem...it is the character he is playing. They took him WAY too much in the laid back direction. See, the brilliance of his ECW promos lied in him being so confident in his ability, like "Jerry, the people know I beat you...YOU know I beat you" and all that. Even with this watered down character RVD has had quite a few gold moments on the mic in WWE. How about the hilarious bits with Austin ("I've never heard your watch")? Or the "Is there a dressing room big enough for my star persona?" Or the hilarious promo with Kane where he said "Kane can do the chokeslam, then I'll do the rolling thunder, the Van Daminator, the Van Terminator, the 5 Star Frogsplash, and Kane can do...the chokeslam!" Besides, there are other ways to convey a guy's personality. How about a sitdown interview with JR? How about broadcasting some of this wild shoot stuff he does on the radio?
  6. Dama, speaking of Texas what do you think of Vince Young? Personally I think Michigan made him look way better than he really is...either that or he improved 10x from that OU fiasco last year. It's really hard to compare college football programs all time because there's no legit national title and sometimes teams don't play each other. Whereas when you consider college basketball the discussion is a lot easier.
  7. Maybe they should have been called X-Force instead? As far as worst stable ever, I dunno. I'd say the Cabinet is just about as bad and even got pushed. I'd also say the Right to Censor is as bad or worse. That gimmick killed the career of virtually anyone associated with it. Bull Buchanan got released, Godfather got released, Val and Stevie became Heat level jobbers, Ivory is now released I think.
  8. Could they really have done much worse without Shawn? Hell if anything they would have just been forced to push the same guys that they ended up pushing except doing it 2 years earlier. It's like hearing about the best player on a losing team who wants a new contract: "We can finish last without you."
  9. You guys are looking at this too hard. The main problem Cena has is that his character simply isn't babyface material. Let's face it, how many people really like a wigger street punk? I mean really, he's the sort of guy in HS you'd want to beat the shit out of. This made him an effective heel, but I knew once he turned face it would get watered down. It wasn't that noticeable on Smackdown because he wrestled guys nobody could possibly like: JBL, Carlito, Dupree, Suzuki, etc. In other words he didn't really feud with much of anyone with credibility among wrestling fans. Now he's on Raw and feuding with some guys who are longtime favorites, like Jericho and Angle...guys who are seen as having paid a lot more dues than Cena (although in Angle's case this might not be true, given his immediate push). I agree with deinly about the RVD thing, it'll be interesting how his responses compare with Cena. Regardless of how RVD is booked there are fans that are fiercely loyal to him....if he's booked at all decent he could be the most popular guy on Raw.
  10. I guess the crowd should have tossed eggs at the British Bulldogs when Ozzy was in their corner at WM 2. Seriously, what is this controversy with the British flag? I mean the British are one of our closest allies. I don't get why anyone has a problem with it. If Dickenson was doing something disrespectful with the Union Jack then I can see Ozzy taking offense (as a fellow Englishman), but I haven't heard that. I'm certainly more of a Sabbath fan than Maiden, but I don't like hearing about stuff like this at all.
  11. Tennessee doesn't really strike me as an all time amazing program, but more of a really solid SEC team. I don't think of them any better than Florida really, or Georgia, and old school Bama is easily better all time. Has Tenn. won a national title besides the one in 1998?
  12. I don't think the Tazz and Rhyno things were ever official different gimmicks or whatever, just something lame Vince thought up. I think Taz was changed to avoid potential lawsuits due to the cartoon character and Rhino was changed just to be lame. What was that rumor about Angle being the guy that knocked up Dawn Marie? Was that remotely true? And yes, the blurring stuff is awful. I think it makes the shows unwatchable personally.
  13. I think the problem was that Albert was just about the most anti charismatic wresler I've ever seen. Just a guy who kills a crowd with his very appearance, disgusting body hair, and plethora of body piercings. He wasn't necessarily inept but just the sort of guy who defined piss break.
  14. Yeah Austin was busy squashing Owen at Series 97, and we all know what Bret was doing. 1. Austin/Bret from WM 13. This match really made Austin. The S. Series 96 match was more about Bret's return and having "trouble with a mediocre guy like Austin" (this is what Vince Russo said on Livewire). 2. Austin/Dude Love, Over the Edge. I remember everyone at my friend Ian's house practically jumping around the livingroom for this. 3. Austin/Rock, WM 17. Awesome match but I can't rate it higher due to it essentially killing Austin's drawing power with the heel turn. 4. Austin/HBK from WM 14. This one put Austin on top, and was a great comeuppance for Shawn. 5. Austin/Benoit from Smackdown. Mostly just a great match, finish is a bit weak though. Some matches I don't think hold up with time. The SS 01 Angle match is mostly cool in a "kick out of the finisher" kind of way, which is a bit artificial. The HHH 3 Stages match was great then but doesn't really hold up with time (watch this on the HHH DVD and you see how repetitive his "great" matches really are). And the Bret S. Series 96 match? Good match, but they could do that same match anytime they felt like it with that amount of time.
  15. Okay here's how it should go down unless they are retarded beyond belief: Batista over JBL with the botched OJ run in I mentioned. This leads JBL to fire Jordan as Chief of Staff due to his recent ineptitude. Eddie over Rey...finally! Eddie needs a dominant win here if he's going to be #1 contender (is this a #1 contender match?). MNM over New LOD. This one is obvious.
  16. Saying the name twice is an old school announcer type deal. I'd imagine he'll reduce this gimmick with time and do regular promos. I'm not saying it needs to be like WCW under Russo where everyone was cutting prematch promos, but having him do it would be fun.
  17. Yeah I have seen Ken Kennedy/Anderson on OVW and he was hilarious with this same schtick (the ring announcing especially). I nominate Kennedy for the new Chief of Staff. But would a Bush caricature like JBL want a guy named Kennedy working for him?
  18. I couldn't help but think Mr. Kennedy could be a great Chief of Staff once JBL finally fires Jordan for being inept. Anyone else think that in the SS rematch 2 weeks from now that's what will happen? As in OJ does a fucked up run in and costs JBL the match, and that's the final straw. I've seen Ken Anderson/Kennedy on OVW and he did most of this same act, right down to the hilarious double mention of names ("Puder...Puder"). The false toss into the crowd was a new one I have to admit, and his finisher was great.
  19. Given the way the White Sox have played of late, I don't think they get passed the first round. It'll be like 2000 for them all over. I can't help but think the Angels might win the AL. Everyone else is just all over the place, they might take it by default.
  20. Alro, another one for your Cincy hating dollar: The 1996 regional final loss to Mississippi St. at Rupp. I swear on TV it seemed like Cincy had a contingent but everyone else turned on them and actually cheered Miss St. who has just BEATEN UK in the SEC tourney final.
  21. I'm pretty sure Bret was supposed to get some sort of cheap DQ or whatever so he could avoid "never wrestling in the US again" stip. Basically all of those other factors had a hand in it too. Due to the backstage fight and it just not being the right time for such a rematch they just said the hell with it.
  22. All we need is Rollerjam on after Smackdown on Friday night. I think they should have desperately tried to get Cyrus for this angle. "Excuse me!!!" All I ask is that if Lesnar does return on this show that he flat out not cost Batista the title against JBL. Next week is a lame duck show but after that I want them to go in some sort of different direction...anything please.
  23. Yeah I mean if you look at Michaels in 1989 for instance he was getting the shit kicked out of him by huge dudes like Bossman and Akeem. Those guys were huge, the Rockers had no real chance. 6 years later Shawn hadn't really put on too much more muscle really, but now we're supposed to believe he can beat those same type guys? The one Shawn vs. Big dude feud that made sense was the UT feud. At least there they made no pretense Shawn could actually beat UT, so there were massive run ins from Kane...but for the most part Shawn got the shit beat out of him there. I think it was in Foley's book where he said things in wrestling need to seem somewhat feasible in real life. As in if Ken Shamrock said "I'm going to break your ankle" that is feasible. But if someone says "I'm going to rip your head off and shit down your throat" that isn't feasible. I think that was the main problem I always had with Michaels, even more than his politics: He simply couldn't feasibly do the stuff he did.
  24. Bret's hiatus in 1996 post WM hurt the WWF I think. There could have been rematches that might have drawn better. This argument is dubious however since for example Hogan could have faced that same heel roster at his peak and drawn great. Michaels lacked a certain...credibility that Bret had. I remember at school it was like everyone knew Shawn was winning at WM and was resigned to it, not happy about it. Sorta like "Yeah can you believe they're going to give the title to him?" I also question him going against guys like Diesel, Vader, and Sid to build his rep as a giant killer. Let's face it, there is simply nothing Shawn can do to credibly defeat such huge men...him beating those guys merely reinforces the notion of wrestling being fake. That "Good Friends" match with Nash produced the following rant from a HS classmate of mine: "Yeah that match was bullshit. Diesel kicked Michaels' ass the whole time, then bam one superkick and he just pins him. It was lame." Bear in mind this gets ****3/4 in the Keith rant, so it's a highly regarded match...thing is casual fans simply never bought into Shawn as credibly being able to defeat such foes. Bret never had this problem with casual fans....even the dumbest fan could tell Bret had a gameplan against a huge dude like Nash, to take him to the mat and ground him, work on the leg or back, etc. What was Shawn's M.O.? Get his ass kicked most of the match, oversell, do a theatrical kip up (thus no selling the entire match), hit a superkick, and win. The idea of "This is so fake" should never enter someone's head during a major match. One guy should believably be able to beat another in a fight, or else it's not credible to the audience. There is simply no way Shawn Michaels could beat Vader in a fight, so when he does in a booked wrestling match it only sets a glaring example that "This stuff is fake."
  25. I dunno, the SS 93 with Yoko/Luger was such a sour spot to me personally due to the cheap finish that I never remembered anything else about the match or show. In fact put that on the show with a booking crutch that I absolutely loathe (namely the Lawler/Bret finish with the overturned DQ decision) and that show isn't real high on my list of favorites. I was stunned to read the Keith rant and see such high marks for the matches, since I have a hazy memory of that show sucking. Of course Yokozuna used his fatness well....EVERY fat fuck does that. Hell, King Kong Bundy could squash people with sheer fatness. I have not seen those Bret matches mentioned, or if I rented those tapes I obviously don't recall now. The two WM matches with Bret both suck so it's not like I'd go out of my way to find more. So the guy had a few matches where Bret carried the hell out of him....the other 95% of his WWF work still sucks. The three worst title runs ever in my view are Yokozuna in 1993-94, Diesel in 1995, and JBL recently. Note in every case it was a guy getting the belt for an obscene amount of time without remotely deserving such a run.
×
×
  • Create New...