TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

IIRC, Foley used the "Manson" name for most of his ten month run in Dallas...at least when he wasn't doing double duty as Zodiac II. He was also "Cactus Jack Manson" for the infamous Clash X match with Mil Mascaras.

He was also "Cactus Jack Manson" for the infamous Clash X match with Mil Mascaras.

That's probably the match in question I'm thinking off from the tape. I remember that match, purely for Mil's non-selling of a backbreaker, and Cornette's great commentary.

He was also "Cactus Jack Manson" for the infamous Clash X match with Mil Mascaras.

That's probably the match in question I'm thinking off from the tape. I remember that match, purely for Mil's non-selling of a backbreaker, and Cornette's great commentary.

"Oh no! Cactus Jack is dead!"

Guest Frank_Nabbit

2 questions:

1> Does anyone recall a cage match (I think it was Flair/Sting) where the Steiner's came out and tried to cut through the cage to save someone from a beatdown?

2> Can anyone give me the full line up of the 10 man Tag match that saw Nikita Koloff attack Sting?

It was something like Sting, El Gigante, etc vs Flair, Nikita, etc

And PN Newz replaced Sting after Nikita injured him.

Why exactly is that Clash X match "infamous"? I've never seen it, so clarification would be wonderful.

Basically, it's the one thing anybody remembers from Foley's first WCW run, and even Foley thinks it was probably his worst match.

Mil Mascaras was brought in solely to draw crowds to some of the towns on a tour of South Texas, including that Clash in Corpus Christi. But Mascaras basically refuses to look "bad" for anybody, especially a low midcarder for WCW. The match was horrible, with Mascaras taking the weakest looking backbreaker ever and Cactus heading to the apron for the big elbow. But by the time Cactus turns around, Mil's already in the ring. He dropkicks Foley, who does the Nestea plunge off the apron and bounces his head off the floor. Cornette sells the fall on commentary as if Cactus should be dead...and Cactus returning to the ring as if he's amazed Cactus isn't dead.

Basically, it's infamous because Mascaras refused to sell anything, so nobody remembers anything about it except Foley's fall, which still makes me cringe everytime I see it.

2> Can anyone give me the full line up of the 10 man Tag match that saw Nikita Koloff attack Sting?

It was something like Sting, El Gigante, etc vs Flair, Nikita, etc

And PN Newz replaced Sting after Nikita injured him.

I think it was actually an 8 man tag, I remember seeing it on WCW Classics a year ago.

Sting,Brian Pillman,El Gigante,Tommy Rich vs. Ric Flair,Nikita Koloff,Barry Windham,One Man Gang

Anyone care to explain what happened at Halloween Havoc 99 with the world title?

WCW World Champ Sting pined Hulk Hogan (0:03).

Bill Goldberg pinned Sting (3:08) to win the WCW World Title.

Hogan laid down for Sting and Sting made an open challenge which Goldberg accepted and won.

The night after it was revealed that Sting's Open Challenge was Non Title but he was stripped of the belt for attacking an official.

2 questions:

1> Does anyone recall a cage match (I think it was Flair/Sting) where the Steiner's came out and tried to cut through the cage to save someone from a beatdown?

I thin that would be the main event to Starrcade '90, where Flair was The Black Scorpion, and the Horseman and he beat up on Sting and Dick The Bruiser.

And the story behind the Sting-Hogan deal at HH '99 was one of those fake shoots, cooked up by Vince Russo and Hulk Hogan. The idea was that Hogan would 'go against' what he was meant to do, and lay down for Sting, literally. Hogan would then go off on one of his vacations, and come back later. Hogan did this a lot, whenever he saw this drawing power was waning; he'd pull an angle, leave, and then come back at the right time so as to pop a rating, and claim it was all down to him, and that him not being around was why ratings were down. Of course, he'd be the reason behind the bad numbers, because had long since grown stale, but Hogan could/would never admit this, hence the constant leaving and coming back.

Sting's open challenge, in the storyline of the fake shoot, was because he knew the promotion needed a big match for its main event, and so came to the rescue. Goldberg answering and winning was so they could do a Vern Gagne, and fake a title switch, and subsequently strip Goldberg of the World Title, and they could then hold that tournament for the World Title.

I read somewhere (maybe even here) that Bob Backlund's long run in the 1993 Royal Rumble was booked as a joke, and that everyone joked around about Backlund at the time because he was so weird, and didn't drink or do any drugs or anything like that. Is that true?

Also, why was Earthquake at Wrestlemania 10, squashing Adam Bomb? Was he still wrestling fulltime with them at that point? I don't remember him really doing much after Typhoon left to become the Shockmaster in WCW. :)

Oh, and one more thing. What happened to Mr. Hughes in 1993? Where did he disappear to?

I read somewhere (maybe even here) that Bob Backlund's long run in the 1993 Royal Rumble was booked as a joke, and that everyone joked around about Backlund at the time because he was so weird, and didn't drink or do any drugs or anything like that. Is that true?

Also, why was Earthquake at Wrestlemania 10, squashing Adam Bomb? Was he still wrestling fulltime with them at that point? I don't remember him really doing much after Typhoon left to become the Shockmaster in WCW. :)

Oh, and one more thing. What happened to Mr. Hughes in 1993? Where did he disappear to?

The first one is pretty much as you had it. He was booked to go long as a rib at his expense, because he had to sell being out of it for so long, after a chair shot. And, yes, he did get made fun of for not being into the drink and drugs scene.

Earthquake was still around, but didn't do much. Just after WM X, his main role seemed to be to put over Yokozuna on the road. He wasn't happy with the nature of the matches, which were virtual squash match wins for Yoko, and he also wasn't happy about having to do a series of 'Sumo' matches with Yoko either, and this led him to walking out. This obviously didn't sit too well, and 'Quake was buried upon his departure, which saw Typhoon brought in to take his place in the program with Yoko.

Mr Hughes left in 1993 over drug issues. WWF felt he had a problem, he didn't, and was fired/left. It was pretty abrupt, as he was being built up for a program with The Undertaker, which wound up no happening.

What was the story where Missy Hyatt was supposed to be in the crowd at WM 10 with "President Clinton" ? Why didn't she do the show? Would that have led to her to have a long term role? Or just a one shot deal?

What was the story where Missy Hyatt was supposed to be in the crowd at WM 10 with "President Clinton" ? Why didn't she do the show? Would that have led to her to have a long term role? Or just a one shot deal?

I don't believe Missy was ever going to appear at WM X. She's never mentioned in the various shoots she's done, and I never read or heard anything about it leading up to the event. Assuming this is true, then it certainly would have been a one-off affair.

Any idea why Badd Blood was released twice? Once as the given title and the other tape as Rampage 97? Is there any difference between the tapes besides the cover box and the title?

1) What was the storyline reason for the Giant joining the nWo in 1996 so soon after losing his title at Hog Wild to Hogan? Was a good explanation ever given? And how long did he last in the nWo before leaving again?

2) When did Bischoff join the nWo and what was the reason given?

Any idea why Badd Blood was released twice? Once as the given title and the other tape as Rampage 97? Is there any difference between the tapes besides the cover box and the title?

Rampage 97 is in SP while Badd Blood is in EP. I don't know why it was released twice but the same could be said for SummerSlam 1997.

Any idea why Badd Blood was released twice?  Once as the given title and the other tape as Rampage 97?  Is there any difference between the tapes besides the cover box and the title?

Rampage 97 is in SP while Badd Blood is in EP. I don't know why it was released twice but the same could be said for SummerSlam 1997.

I know SummerSlam was released in-house as well as by Coliseum Video, so I'd assume it was the same with Badd Blood.

1) What was the storyline reason for the Giant joining the nWo in 1996 so soon after losing his title at Hog Wild to Hogan? Was a good explanation ever given? And how long did he last in the nWo before leaving again?

Check the 9/2/96 Nitro for the full story, but I remember something about Hogan bringing Giant to his house and telling him WCW was just using him or something. The Nitro mentioned above has the storyline explanation.

2) When did Bischoff join the nWo and what was the reason given?

November 1996, and the reason was that after he was power bombed by Nash at GAB 96, he knew WCW was in trouble and he wanted to be on the winning team.

Guest Astro

I request a pic of paul orndorff from 2000 or above showing his arm completely messed up. (I saw the 3 sec clip on the Beniot DVD and now I'm intrigued)

If the planned Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels WM 13 rematch had happened who would Steve Austin have faced? I'm thinking British Bulldog(their feud ended just after Royal Rumble 97 and Shawn probably objected to the Hart match around this time causing the shuffle of the Wm card) but guys like Vader,Mankind and Undertaker are also possible.

Edit: I'm guessing that Austin stays heel and if Austin/Bulldog happened then owen turns helping Austin win.

Edited by deancoles411

In 1991, how did Mr Perfect go from being managed by Booby Heenan (WM7) to being managed by Coach (SummerSlam 91)? And how was Perfect introduced as Ric Flairs Executive Consultant?

In 1991, how did Mr Perfect go from being managed by Booby Heenan (WM7) to being managed by Coach (SummerSlam 91)? And how was Perfect introduced as Ric Flairs Executive Consultant?

Heenan retired from managing due to his bad neck, and introduced Coach (no not Jonathan Coachman!) on the Funeral Parlor one time. This was around May/June 91 or so

When did Nitro go from 2 to 3 hours?

There was a special 3 hour episode in it's 100th Episode(Luger won the Title that night) and I want to say they made it permanent in December 97/January 98.I do remember seeing more filler matches and longer angles at that time.

Looking through old NWA supercard results, I noticed that neither member of the R & R Express made an appearance from mid '88 to early '90. Were they not around or just victims of the general incompetence that was the NWA/WCW?

Looking through old NWA supercard results, I noticed that neither member of the R & R Express made an appearance from mid '88 to early '90. Were they not around or just victims of the general incompetence that was the NWA/WCW?

They weren't around.

They weren't really anywhere else for long stretches either. I remember a brief AWA and a brief run in Kansas City (and those might have been the first half of 1988, honestly) but they sorta disappeared for about 18 months or so.

Is it true that the whole Max Moon character was dumped right after Royal Rumble 1993 becasue Paul Diamond was fired for having an affair with Tatanka's wife?

Was there any feud between Diesel and King Mabel, or was it just presented as Mabel was the mandatory challenger for the belt?

What was up with King Kong Bundy's return to the WWF in 95? He seemed like he was going to get a huge push and possibly get a WWF title shot (I think Bret Hart was champion when he arrived) but he ended up just floating around the upper mid card feuding with Undertaker and then disapearing after only a couple months.

Is it true that the whole Max Moon character was dumped right after Royal Rumble 1993 becasue Paul Diamond was fired for having an affair with Tatanka's wife?

There was a rumor about Diamond and Tatanka's wife but I have no clue if that's legit and even if it is, I don't know if that would be reason enough to fire him. Diamond was suspended for drugs in late 91, I believe, so that probaby played more of a role in him leaving.

But he wasn't gone right after the Rumble. IIRC, he worked the European tour a month or so after the Rumble and put over guys like Skinner.