TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest The Last Free Voice

Okay, on RoH's 2YA show Lovey (the annoucer) compares an Injury to the hand to Jim Duggan in Midsouth and a ringpost. What's the story?

Man, that was phrased horribly, but it's the best I can do while still half asleep. Sorry.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Your best plan of action is to ask the Mid South board at kayfabememories.com We have very few people old enough here who could answer this.

Was it ever explained why Jeff Jarrett attacked Owen Hart during his entrance in the 1998 Rumble? I remember watching it on PPV, and I was confused. I can only remember them having a few matches after the Rumble.

Okay, on RoH's 2YA show Lovey (the annoucer) compares an Injury to the hand to Jim Duggan in Midsouth and a ringpost. What's the story?

Man, that was phrased horribly, but it's the best I can do while still half asleep. Sorry.

From the man himself:

"Back in my Mid South days in Houston, I was working with One Man Gang and he ran my head into the ring post. There was a bolt sticking out of the post and I hit it, almost fracturing my skull and was out for over a month. Many joint injures that kept me out longer but that was the most dangerous."

Was it ever explained why Jeff Jarrett attacked Owen Hart during his entrance in the 1998 Rumble? I remember watching it on PPV, and I was confused. I can only remember them having a few matches after the Rumble.

I think maybe it was implied he was working on behalf of Triple H. Not sure though.

When did they stop airing first run matches on Superstars?

There was that one time (March 1998 IIRC) where the taped Raw went long, so they showed the Headbangers-Rock 'n' Roll Express NWA World Tag Team Title match on the following week's Superstars. One of the Bangers won by DQ and as a result got five minutes with Jim Cornette...but because he'd been KOd, Cornette dropped an elbow and got a quick victory.

That might have been April and Headbangers vs. Midnight Express now that I think of it, because the Raw in question involved Steve Austin doing a sit-in that lasted two segments.

That might have been April and Headbangers vs. Midnight Express now that I think of it, because the Raw in question involved Steve Austin doing a sit-in that lasted two segments.

Wasn't the sit-in in response to Vince calling Tyson the toughest man in the world ... or whatever it was ... and Austin took offense to it? So that would have been pre WrestleMania.

IIRC, the last 'Feature Match' on SuperStars was Wildman Marc Mero vs. Undertaker.

I was just watching that match yesterday, coincidentally.

I think there may have been one more show prior to Final Four featuring (I think) Vader vs Stone Cold in the feature match. Bret was doing commentary, all of a sudden, the lights went out, and when they came back on, Taker was standing behind him. He attacked Bret, and it turned into a 4-way brawl between all the participants of the Final Four match.

Wasn't the sit-in in response to Vince calling Tyson the toughest man in the world ... or whatever it was ... and Austin took offense to it? So that would have been pre WrestleMania.

I'm almost sure it was pre-WrestleMania, but I can't remember what the sit-in was for for the life of me.

Wasn't the sit-in in response to Vince calling Tyson the toughest man in the world ... or whatever it was ... and Austin took offense to it?

I'm almost sure it was pre-WrestleMania, but I can't remember what the sit-in was for for the life of me.

Austin's sit-in was indeed because he was pissed McMahon called Tyson "the baddest man on the planet." A bunch of WWF officials came out to reason with Austin but he wanted McMahon. Eventually Vince came out, and Austin ripped off a piece of his coat. It's a DVD extra in the Best of Raw vol. 1 & 2 DVD. And yes, you guys are right, it was pre-WM.

Here's another question (forgive me if it's already been asked): I've read Jim Cornette returned briefly to WCW in early 1993 with the original Heavenly Bodies. What was the deal with that? I know Bill Watts was involved somehow, and it lead to the Rock 'n' Roll Express wrestling at Superbrawl III, but where was it going, if anywhere? Watts got canned shortly thereafter.

Not sure the exact reasons why they did it (I'm sure Cornette mentioned it in his 8-hour shoot interview that I haven't heard in a while), but it wasn't supposed to go any further than that.

Basically, WCW had shown footage of The Rock 'n' Roll Express defeating The Heavenly Bodies for the SMW Tag Team Title and advertising that the champs would be at Superbrawl. By the time they showed the footage, the Bodies had already regained the titles, so they came onto WCW Saturday Night and yelled at Watts for showing the footage, which led to an impromptu match with the R'n'R. The Bodies soon replaced the Wrecking Crew at SuperBrawl.

The problem is that Cornette's tirade against Watts was heavily edited since it badmouthed the way WCW was being run...even though that was the entire point of the segment. Watts actually resigned about three weeks before the PPV.

In 96, on WCW Saturday Night they did these vignettes of Chris Benoit and Woman going out on dates and stuff. One of them featured Benoit and Woman drinking wine at a restaurant with Woman taunting Kevin Sullivan. Now on TV they never said Woman was married to Sullivan, but in this vignette she was saying real insider stuff, like "I'm not taking this anymore Kevin, I'm a new woman" and "I know what you say to the boys in the bar after the show". I was not on the Net at the time, so I had no idea what she was talking about. In another one, Benoit and Woman are both drunk, stumbling around, laughing and heading up to a hotel room (implying they were going to go have sex). Again they were taunting Sullivan. What was the point of this? Because they were doing a storyline where Benoit and Woman were like suspicious of each other and constantly bickering, and then the next minute he's banging her? Can anyone explain?

Might not be an "old school" question, but what exactly does "JIP" mean during the review of a wrestling match? I see Scott Keith throw it around so frequently I want to hurt myself.

Guest Astro
In 96, on WCW Saturday Night they did these vignettes of Chris Benoit and Woman going out on dates and stuff. One of them featured Benoit and Woman drinking wine at a restaurant with Woman taunting Kevin Sullivan. Now on TV they never said Woman was married to Sullivan, but in this vignette she was saying real insider stuff, like "I'm not taking this anymore Kevin, I'm a new woman" and "I know what you say to the boys in the bar after the show". I was not on the Net at the time, so I had no idea what she was talking about. In another one, Benoit and Woman are both drunk, stumbling around, laughing and heading up to a hotel room (implying they were going to go have sex). Again they were taunting Sullivan. What was the point of this? Because they were doing a storyline where Benoit and Woman were like suspicious of each other and constantly bickering, and then the next minute he's banging her? Can anyone explain?

Woman had managed Sullivan-the rest of the progression I can't recall directly

Guest Astro
Might not be an "old school" question, but what exactly does "JIP" mean during the review of a wrestling match? I see Scott Keith throw it around so frequently I want to hurt myself.

joined in progress

I think they did imply Sullivan and Woman at least had a relationship beyond manager / wrestler but I doubt the word "married" was ever used.

Guest The Ultimate Fantasy

Hey right, unless it was asked before whatever happened toTaka Michinoku?

IIRC, they tried to re-sign Taka when his contract was up in late-01 or early-02, but he refused. I haven't been keeping tabs on him, but I reckon he's wrestling back in Japan.

Before it became a PPV in 1993, were any of the winners of the annual king of the Ring tournament acknowleded on TV? I know they had Harley Race, Haku, Jim Duggan and Randy Savge as Kings on TV but they all won it off the each other, not in the tournament (i think).

Guest drdrainoscott

While they did win it off each other, I'm pretty sure that all of them won the KOTR at some point. At least I'm pretty sure Race, Haku and Duggan did.

I could be totally off though...

Before it became a PPV in 1993, were any of the winners of the annual king of the Ring tournament acknowleded on TV? I know they had Harley Race, Haku, Jim Duggan and Randy Savge as Kings on TV but they all won it off the each other, not in the tournament (i think).

The KOTR was never mentioned by name but Race's win was was resulted in him being named 'King'. They said he won some tournament but didn't say where, when, or who he beat.

Muraco (85), Race (86), Savage (87), Dibiase (88), Santana (89), and Bret (91) were the previous winners.

I know the four hearts signify his children, but does anyone know what the skull/wings/heart combination on the front of Bret's tights means/stands for? If anything?

The KOTR was never mentioned by name but Race's win was was resulted in him being named 'King'. They said he won some tournament but didn't say where, when, or who he beat.

Muraco (85), Race (86), Savage (87), Dibiase (88), Santana (89), and Bret (91) were the previous winners.

The tourney was mentioned by name on the Jan. 1987 edition of SNME.

Ventura: "He won every King of the Ring tournament we've ever had."

Vince: "Yeah, but there were only two of them."

Ventura: "How many do you need?"

Of course, they ignored Muraco's 1985 win with that exchange, but the tourney was mentioned.

Ventura: "He won every King of the Ring tournament we've ever had."

Vince: "Yeah, but there were only two of them."

Ventura: "How many do you need?"

Of course, they ignored Muraco's 1985 win with that exchange, but the tourney was mentioned.

Wow, I had never heard that.

Ventura:  "He won every King of the Ring tournament we've ever had."

Vince:  "Yeah, but there were only two of them."

Ventura:  "How many do you need?"

Wow, I had never heard that.

I'd say check your Hall of Fame DVD, but since they put the wrong JYD-Race match on it...

But I believe the exchange is before the Race-JYD match starts.

I think maybe it was implied he was working on behalf of Triple H. Not sure though.

I bought one of those cheap, thirty minute highlight tapes from Toys R Us years ago. One of the matches is Owen versus Jeff for whatever NWA title JJ had. Owen puts him in the Sharpshooter, but Cornette causes a DQ. I always assumed this match was pre-Royal Rumble and that Jarrett was just pissed at Owen for almost beating him.