TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Where was Paul Orndorff from 1988-1990, and was he a regular wrestler then?

I believe he had a heated feud with Dr. Death Steve Williams in one of the smaller feds during that timeframe.

I believe you're referring to Herb Abram's UWF.

Did Savage ever have any televised matches against The Undertaker or Mr. Perfect?

I have yet to come across a Savage / Perfect match, let alone one that was televised.

Savage / Taker had matches when Savage was subbing for Warrior in 91 but those didn't air.

Guest fanofcoils

What was with the Beverly Brothers outfits and music? What exactly was their gimmick?

In '91 the Nasty Boys had only started on televison about a week before. I think somebody who was supposed to be in dropped out and they had one empty slot and I assume they just gave it to Knobbs. They didn't announce on TV prior to the event that only Brian Knobbs would be in the Rumble.

I'm not sure about '92.

Not too old school, but how exactly do they not kill people in a Buried Alive Match? I've always though that there's like a framework with a 'grave' hole and a hidden chamber, then the structure is covered with/filled in with dirt. Is that accurate?

Also, any idea how much those things cost to do per match?

Does anyone know where I can find a listing of ECW theme songs?

Guest Ransome
Does anyone know where I can find a listing of ECW theme songs?

Here's most (not all) of them: http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/p...ecw/ecwmusc.htm

On the subject of Buried Alive matches......I was watching Buried Alive '96 the other day, and does anyone know what was the deal with Shawn Michaels? He was world champ at the time, yet not even included on the pay per view. It's not like he was injured, cause he's listed as having a dark match against Goldust. (For the record, he also comes out at one point in street attire to commentate the Sid-Vader match). Was there any particular reason the WWF champion didn't wrestle at all on a pay per view?

Knobs was one of the handful of guys who was too injured to compete in 92.

I read somewhere that he was stabbed multiple times shortly before the event.

As for 91, Andre the Giant and Honky Tonk Man were both announced to be in the Rumble originally, but Andre was injured in Japan and Honky quit right at the end of 1990. Brian Knobs and I believe Shane Douglas took their places.

This has probably been answered before on here...but why have Diesel beat Backlund for the title in seven seconds on a house show (an MSG one, I guess) instead of doing in at the Rumble or on a RAW?

A few more questions:

-Why did Rude go over Warrior at Wrestlemania 5? Did they not see Warrior as a big star of the future quite yet?

-When did Jake Roberts debut in the WWF? How? Wasn't he a heel right off the bat? When/how did he turn babyface?

-When Savage jobbed the IC title to Steamboat at Wrestlemania 3, were they already planning a big babyface push for him? How did Savage turn babyface and form the Megapowers with Hogan?

-I've heard that when Savage won the title at WM4 it was already planned that Hogan/Savage would main event WM5, is that true? How did Savage draw as champ?

-Is it true Mr. Perfect was originally booked to win the 1990 Royal Rumble? Was he about to get a major push and Hogan denied it or something?

-How come Wrestlemania 2 is never talked about? Doing a big show in three major cities like that has to be quite a success, right? Is it just because of the lackluster card and the fact WM3 was so epic?

-Was there ever a plan to do a Hogan/Warrior rematch at Wrestlemania 7?

-What was the storyline reason for Hogan not wanting to wrestle Flair at Wrestlemania 8, but instead in a non title match against Sid? Wouldn't he want to go after the title? And wouldn't have made more sense to do Hogan/Flair, Savage/Jake, and Sid/Taker?

-When did Jake Roberts debut in the WWF? How? Wasn't he a heel right off the bat? When/how did he turn babyface?

Early '86, he was a heel for about a year. He turned face when Honky Tonk Man hit him with a guitar to set up WM3.

-Was there ever a plan to do a Hogan/Warrior rematch at Wrestlemania 7?

Yes, the plan was for a rematch one year later where Hogan would get his win back. Vince decided to expliot the Gulf War instead and had Hogan beat Sgt. Slaughter

How did Savage turn babyface and form the Megapowers with Hogan?

Honky Tonk Man said he was the greatest I-C champ of all time and Savage objected. Macho became the defacto face in the feud.

In Oct. '87 Savage faced Honky Tonk Man for the I-C title on Saturday Night's Main Event. After Jimmy Hart had gotten knocked out, the Hart Foundation took him to the back and came back and stayed in Honky's corner. They constantly interfered and got Honky dq'ed. Afterwords they ganged up on Randy and held him so Honky could hit him with the guitar, Elizabeth ran in and begged Honky to show mercy and Honky shoved out of the way. Elizabeth runs to the back, with Vince (on commentary) selling it like she's running for her saftey. A minute later she comes back with Hogan who runs in and cleans house. Hogan and Savage shook hands and the Mega-Powers were born, although they would really do anything again until WM4.

What was the storyline reason for Hogan not wanting to wrestle Flair at Wrestlemania 8, but instead in a non title match against Sid? Wouldn't he want to go after the title? And wouldn't have made more sense to do Hogan/Flair, Savage/Jake, and Sid/Taker?

Due to the steroid scandal it was decided that Hogan was going on hiatis after WM 8. Since he wasn't going to be at house shows or on tv for the fociable future, he couldn't win the title from Flair and he wasn't going to let Flair beat him, so the Flair match wasn't an option.

I've heard that Sid got promised the WM main event as incentive to jump the year before and they never had any intention of going with Hogan-Flair as the main event.

In the storyline, Sid walked out on Hogan in a tag team match because he was jelous that Hogan had gotten the title shot over him. Afterwords they announced that Hogan said wanted a match with Sid more than the title match.

Slick was always their manager. Perhaps you're thinking of the Powers of Pain in 1990?

If that's the case, Mean Gene simply announced that Mr. Fuji had sold The Warlord's contract to Slick and The Barbarian's contract to Bobby Heenan.

Guest Astro

Here's 3 Random tidbits....

1> Micheal Hayes once shat his pants on live TV in Memphis (1979) and actually went to the locker room and changed then came out and finished the match (Dave Meltz confirms this)

2> Anyone know who wrestled the most times in a single night? I've read that Mr. Wrestling had like 9 matches on XMas night in 1969, anyone confirm or beat that?

3> Anyone know why Gene Kiniski told the NWA to "shove it" at the 1968 NWA Board meetings.... Gene wanted to lose the World title....but why?

This has probably been answered before on here...but why have Diesel beat Backlund for the title in seven seconds on a house show (an MSG one, I guess) instead of doing in at the Rumble or on a RAW?

When they do a title change at a house show, it's usually done to increase house show attendance across the board.

People are more likely to go to a show if they think they are going to witness history being made.

but Andre was injured in Japan

I think that was kayfabed. At that point in his life, I don't think Andre could take a bump out of the ring and that was the reason why he was pulled.

Guest fanofcoils

That was Meltzered actually (in his Wrestling Observer) so it was real life not kayfabe.

I think that was kayfabed. At that point in his life, I don't think Andre could take a bump out of the ring and that was the reason why he was pulled.

Andre had wrestled in Japan in December 1990, which I think was his last match ever. I have no idea if he was actually injured in that match or not though.

Andre had wrestled in Japan in December 1990, which I think was his last match ever. I have no idea if he was actually injured in that match or not though.

I believe Andre continued to "wrestle" until December 1992. Most of the bouts were in Japan and all were tag team contests, where Andre spent the majority of the match in the corner.

I have him down for a battle royal in Long Island in May 1991. I'm inclined to believe he never actually got in the ring, however.

At IYH in December 1995, who was Ted Dibiase's evil Santa Claus?

Guest drdrainoscott
Andre was about 6'10. Big Show is about 6'10 or 6'11.

I'm almost positive Big Show is in fact over 7'0"" legit

I finally got a chance to go through this thread over the course of a long duty day... The post about Benoit and Woman several pages back got me thinking a great deal about relationships in wrestling. For example, I remember back before WM XX, when somebody asked in the WWE folder whether or not there was any potential for Jericho to have secretly been dating Trish, a question which was promptly shot down (and ridiculed all around). Personally, however, while I didn't actually believe that anything was going between them, to me, it wasn't even remotely the most unlikely thing that ever could have happened... especially considering some of the relationships in wrestling past. Just a couple off the top of my head include:

- Nancy Sullivan (Woman) leaving Kevin Sullivan to be with Chris Benoit.

- Jeanie Adams (Lady Blossom) leaving Chris Adams to be with Steve Austin.

- Triple H leaving Joanie Laurer (Chyna) to be with Stephanie McMahon.

With all that in mind, I actually have quite a few relationship questions:

1 - Sherri Martel was aligned with a number of men, including: Honky Tonk Man (as Peggy Sue... or so I read), Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Shawn Michaels, and Colonel Robert Parker, among others. Did she ever have an off-camera relationship with anyone in the business? If so, did she ever date anyone that she was managing at the time?

2- I'm reasonably certain that Dustin and Terri Runnels were married when they came to the WWF as Goldust and Marlena in '95. Did they get married before or after the York Foundation?

2a - Dustin quit/was fired from the WWF in early '99, if I remember correctly, while Terri alligned herself with Val Venis, and later went on to form PMS with Jacqueline. Were she and Dustin divorced before or after this happened?

3 - I've read rumors that there is/was heat between Jeff Jarrett and Steve Austin over Debra McMichael. Did she ever actually date Jarrett after she left Steve McMichael, or were they just close?

4 - Did Woman actually leave Kevin Sullivan for Benoit while that storyline was happening, or was it after the fact?

4a - I seem to remember, in the aftermath of the aforementioned angle, Kevin Sullivan alligning himself with Jacqueline (I don't remember whether or not she actually called herself Jacqueline in WCW), and subsequently cutting a slightly "out-there" promo where, at one point, he appeared to be talking to his daughter, saying something like "I didn't raise you that way." Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and if so, has that promo ever been transcribed anywhere? And was the relationship between Sullivan and Jacqueline purely kayfabe?

5 - I have a match on my PC from the "King of the Hill" Tounament at the Rosemont, in '85, where Randy Savage wrestled Dynamite Kid (this was before Savage was pushed to any significant degree). Before the start of the match, Elizabeth gives Savage a peck on the cheek; this struck me as noteworthy because, to the best of my knowledge, the next time Randy and Elizabeth shared a kiss on-camera was at the Match Made in Heaven in '91, despite being married IRL that entire span of time. Were they ever caught kissing on camera at any other point between '85 and '91?

6 - Speaking of Elizabeth, how soon after her divorce from Savage did she get involved with Lex Luger? And, have Savage and Luger ever confronted each other since her death?

7 - Back to the subject of PDA, I remember when Triple H won the World Title from Mankind the night after Summerslam; immediately after the pinfall, Chyna rushed into the ring to embrace Hunter and give him a kiss (the camera only just barely caught it live, and I don't even know whether or not it was edited out in any replay). Did Hunter and Chyna ever have any other PDA on-camera, and did the WWF even acknowledge them on-camera as having a relationship?

8 - Bob Holly allegedly left his wife to be with Cathy Dingman (BB). Did they ever get married?

9 - How long have Tammy Sytch and Chris Candido been together? Has any other couple in wrestling, that is still together, been together longer?