TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I have a question: I know Sherri played Honky Tonk Man's valet, Peggy Sue. But she was also Women's Champion at the time. How did WWF handle one person playing two roles at once?

They figured that no one would notice that Peggy Sue and Sherri were on and the same because of the wig, big sunglasses, clothing, and totally different mannerisms, I assume. And I;m sure most people didn't notice, I didn't until I knew it was she. I know that they didn't acknowledge that they were the same person on TV.

There was a picture of Sherri as Peggy Sue blowing a bubble in one of the WWF magazines from 1988. As a young mark I didn't want to believe it was her, but I knew deep down it was. This was a point where I was slowly realizing wrestling was worked. In the following years when Ricky Steamboat came back as the Dragon and Iron Sheik as Col. Mustafa and their past identities weren't identified, I knew something was up for sure

Does anyone know why Kane wasn't in the 1998 Royal Rumble? The only reason I can think of is that he would have had to have been eliminated, and they wanted him to look totally dominant going into WM against Taker.

Does anyone know why Kane wasn't in the 1998 Royal Rumble? The only reason I can think of is that he would have had to have been eliminated, and they wanted him to look totally dominant going into WM against Taker.

Exactly.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Taker being chokeslammed onto his parents coffins, now THAT's a clip I want to see in the Old School Match thread!

Guest Ice Classic V.2
Yeah, that and he did set his brother on fire prior to the match so he probably left the building to avoid being arrested or something.

That year the Rumble match was before the Championship match, actually.

Guest drdrainoscott

I could be wrong, but I don't think he had debuted in the ring yet. Wasn't his first match at Mania?

I could be wrong, but I don't think he had debuted in the ring yet. Wasn't his first match at Mania?

No, he beat Mankind at Survivor Series 1997 and beat Vader at No Way Out 1998, plus had other squashed I believe.

Watching Dsic 1 of the Flair DVD again today, I found something odd (I think I wondered this before but didn't bother questioning it)...

Flair vs Windham has a time limit of remaining TV Time

Windham might have won had time not ran out right before the ref counted 3. Tough break, Barry!

However, there seemed to be more than enough TV time left. Barry Windham had time to throw the belt down on Flair, Dusty and Tony had time to talk about the match they had just seen, and there was even a backstage interview post match! Did no one question this?

I think at the taping the match went an hour and they just cut it down.

I not sure what the legit time was, maybe they announced it as 30 or 45 minute time limit to the fans in the arena.

EDIT: Not really a question, but more of an observation.

RE: Piper/Hart, Wrestlemania VIII.

Remember how people accused Bret of blading at Wrestlemania VIII, since he publicly stated he was busted hardway to avoid a Flair-like incident?

Well, c'mon, Hart WAS busted hardway. Piper busts him open with a STIFF punch to the eyebrow (you can hear an audible "pop" from the ring).

Guest HTQ's Personal Bitch
Bret admitted on his first RF shoot that he bladed.

Yeah, I posted that in the last post, chump.

Guest bigm350

You said RF shoot? Could have fooled me, chump.

You said RF shoot? Could have fooled me, chump.

Where did you think I got the information? Did it come to me in a dream?

To clarify:

Bret Hart admitted on his first RF shoot that he bladed.

Here's the Gordy List questions, which I found on a search of the wrestlingclassics board.

1. Was he ever regarded as the best draw in the world? Was he ever regarded as the best draw in his country or his promotion?

2. Was he an international draw, national draw and/or regional draw?

3. How many years did he have as a top draw?

4. Was he ever regarded as the best worker in the world? Was he ever regarded as the best worker in his country or in his promotion?

5. Was he ever the best worker in his class (sex or weight)? Was he ever one of the top workers in his class?

6. How many years did he have as a top worker?

7. Was he a good worker before his prime? Was he a good worker after his prime?

8. Did he have a large body of excellent matches? Did he have a excellent matches against a variety of opponents?

9. Did he ever anchor his promotion(s)?

10. Was he effective when pushed at the top of cards?

11. Was he valuable to his promotion before his prime? Was he still valuable to his promotion after his prime?

12. Did he have an impact on a number of strong promotional runs?

13. Was he involved in a number of memorable rivalries, feuds or storylines?

14. Was he effective working on the mic, working storylines or working angles?

15. Did he play his role(s) effectively during his career?

16. What titles and tournaments did he win? What was the importance of the reigns?

17. Did he win many honors and awards?

18. Did he get mainstream exposure due to his wrestling fame? Did he get a heavily featured by the wrestling media?

19. Was he a top tag team wrestler?

20. Was he innovative?

21. Was he influential?

22. Did he make the people and workers around him better?

23. Did he do what was best for the promotion? Did he show a commitment to wrestling?

24. Is there any reason to believe that he was better or worse than he appeared?

Jason