TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I apologize if these questions have been asked before.

Was anyone other than Vince McMahon going to be the higher power?

Was the Survivor Series egg always supposed to be the Gobbley Gooker?

Here is the Virgil story.

The Million Dollar Belt was worth, in storyline, One Million Dollars.

This is explained in either PWI or WWF Magazine when Virgil's win is highlighted, with the quote, "Now I'm the Million Dollar Common Man!"

As far the Mustafa/Sheik thing goes, I remember in a WWF Magazine special edition on Hogan in 1993, they acknowledged thatn they were the same guy.

About the Million Dollar Belt: It could change hands on DQ or countout, right? Then how did Virgil not win the belt at WM7?

Oddly enough they were both originally supposed to be Owen Hart.

Wrong on both counts. The GG was always going to be Hector Guerrero, and the person who would turn out to be the Higher Power wasn't decided upon until almost the last minute. They didn't have anyone in mind when they came up with the gimmick in the first place. Mick Foley and, for some insane reason, Steve Austin were considered for the role, with Foley turning it down because he felt it would make no sense for him to turn. They only went with Vince because they had no one else they felt could fit the role, even though it didn't entirely make sense for Vince to be the Higher Power anyway.

As far the Mustafa/Sheik thing goes, I remember in a WWF Magazine special edition on Hogan in 1993, they acknowledged thatn they were the same guy.

About the Million Dollar Belt: It could change hands on DQ or countout, right? Then how did Virgil not win the belt at WM7?

The belt wasn't on the line at WM 7.

At WM 6 against Jake they said the belt could change on a DQ or countout.

At Summerslam '91 they mentioned that DiBiase had it put in the contract that the belt only could change on a pin or submission.

Guest HTQ's Personal Bitch

Wrong on both counts. The GG was always going to be Hector Guerrero, and the person who would turn out to be the Higher Power wasn't decided upon until almost the last minute. They didn't have anyone in mind when they came up with the gimmick in the first place. Mick Foley and, for some insane reason, Steve Austin were considered for the role, with Foley turning it down because he felt it would make no sense for him to turn. They only went with Vince because they had no one else they felt could fit the role, even though it didn't entirely make sense for Vince to be the Higher Power anyway.

You answered one of the questions incorrectly.

"Was the Survivor Series egg always supposed to be the Gobbley Gooker?"

Never is it asked if Hector was always supposed to be the Gooker. It was asked if the Gooker was always supposed to be in the egg. If you had said "yes" as an answer, you would've had a point. You talk too much though.

So the Blue Blazer, who went from a legendary feud with Steve Blackman to another memorable feud with the Godfather, was going to be the #1 heel in the company.

I was about to say that it doesn't make any sense at all ... but then again we are talking about Russo.

You answered one of the questions incorrectly.

"Was the Survivor Series egg always supposed to be the Gobbley Gooker?"

Never is it asked if Hector was always supposed to be the Gooker. It was asked if the Gooker was always supposed to be in the egg. If you had said "yes" as an answer, you would've had a point. You talk too much though.

So I misread a question. Big deal.

You talk too much though.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

Meltzer was talking about the Gooker on WOL last night... apparently Terry Funk thought Hector Guerrero was going to become a huge star out of that whole deal.

Yeah, I just heard that. Hilarious.

What led to Edge getting an IC title shot at Jeff Jarrett at Fully Loaded in 1999? I know Edge won the title at a house show before the PPV, but him getting an IC title shot then seems kind of random and I don't remember him feuding with Jarrett or anything leading up to it.

What led to Edge getting an IC title shot at Jeff Jarrett at Fully Loaded in 1999? I know Edge won the title at a house show before the PPV, but him getting an IC title shot then seems kind of random and I don't remember him feuding with Jarrett or anything leading up to it.

Ken Shamrock was meant to wrestle Jarrett, but missed his flight, because, IIRC, it was delayed.

Ken Shamrock was meant to wrestle Jarrett, but missed his flight, because, IIRC, it was delayed.

But Edge was still booked for the PPV title shot...how did that come about? Or was it just pure randomness in the booking?

But Edge was still booked for the PPV title shot...how did that come about? Or was it just pure randomness in the booking?

Edge was going to get the title shot anyway. And, because he was going to lose anyway as well, it made sense to put him in in Shamrock's place. He was going to lose to Jarrett at the PPV anyway, so they could afford to have him win the IC Title to make up for Shamrock not being there.

I think he's asking WHY the bookers put him in that PPV IC Title match in the first place, when he was just a midcard tag wrestler and not slated for any sort of singles push.

I think he's asking WHY the bookers put him in that PPV IC Title match in the first place, when he was just a midcard tag wrestler and not slated for any sort of singles push.

I'm guessing it was down to them being intent on pushing a slew of new guys, one of which was Edge.

Guest jm29195

Edge says in his book, that Terry Taylor, who was at ringside for the houseshow match, noticed the crowd reaction and just decided to have Edge announced as IC champ as a spur of the moment sort of thing....

So the Blue Blazer, who went from a legendary feud with Steve Blackman to another memorable feud with the Godfather, was going to be the #1 heel in the company.

Owen Hart was someone from Austin's past, afterall, and Austin "looked like he had seen a ghost" when he saw the face of the higher power...

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Who played the Super Destroyers in WCW Circa 96ish.

I'm fighting off a rumor that Warlord was under one of the masks.

---------------

---------------

Do you mean the Super Assassins, who were squashed by Luger and Sting ?

If you do, they were Warlord and Barbarian under hoods.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Oh so it was Warlord, well now I feel foolish. i knew he still wrestled off/on, but I didn't think it was to that extent.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

This is most likely the wrong forum for this question but can anyone explain to me why Sgt. Slaughter's AWA name was Super Destroyer Mark II.

I can understand all of it but the "Mark" part.

Owen Hart was someone from Austin's past, afterall, and Austin "looked like he had seen a ghost" when he saw the face of the higher power...

By the time Austin saw the Higher Power (a week before everyone else did), Owen was already a ghost.

---------------

Do you mean the Super Assassins, who were squashed by Luger and Sting ?

If you do, they were Warlord and Barbarian under hoods.

Any reason why they were under hoods? Not sure if Barbarian already debuted or not at the time of the Destroyers' pairing. One would think that the "Powers of Pain" still had some name value even if they were just there to be jobbed out.

By the time Austin saw the Higher Power (a week before everyone else did), Owen was already a ghost.

Kind of my point, chump.

I was watching Halloween Havoc 95 the other day. Can someone explain who came up with the idea to have Giant fall off the roof and then come out to wrestle Hogan without and selling of the fall or not being.. you know... dead? And why they thought it was a good idea?This was one of the stupidest angles I've ever seen and I've watched a ton of wrestling. I can't fathom how anybody, even on copious amounts of drugs would think this would do anything besides insult the fans and make Bobby Heenan (who sold the hell out of the thing) look really stupid. That and the premise to get them on the roof was really fucking dumb as well. A Sumo Monster truck contest wasn't exactly great TV. But the comentary was funny with them putting over how well Hogan was doing despite not having any experience with it.

The whole show basically sucked, aside from Flair turning on Sting and reforming the Horsemen which was awesome and had people litterally jumping up and down.