TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Savage was the one constantly getting his ass kicked until he made the hot tag to Hogan to clean house. Plus, Hogan was the one that pretty much handed Savage the title in the 1st place. In kayfabe terms, Savage was by far the weak link.

See that was the angle that got me into wrestling, I just always sympathised with Macho, Liz would've been fine taken to the back, if Hogan was a real partner, he'd have tagged Randy out and let him go back, seeing as how she was Randy's woman.

Plus him in the back muttering "Randy didn't mean it" to Liz, as if there could've been confusion that it was anything other than an accident, just thought Hogan was a jerk.

I should note I'm watching the 2/89 main event at the moment, that's why it's in my mind.

Well, Hogan certainly came across like a jerk at TME, but keep an eye on how Bret Hart no sells Hogan's tirade at the end of the episode. While The Rockers and Neidhart are left shaken and stirred, Bret stays cool and calm while looking at Hogan as if to say, "What a douchebag".

I never remember them formally announcing it. In fact, I can remember watching the Coliseum Video (we didn't get PPV around my neck of the woods until 1993) and thinking, "Wow, that sure doesn't LOOK like 100,000 people". Yeah, I thought they were at the Coliseum still. Hey, I was 9 at the time. Give me a break.

I just thought of this one while doing my laundry: Was there any particular reason why the Warriors/Heenan Family match went on last at Survivor Series 89? With Hogan being the egomaniac champion and Vince wanting to promote the shit out of "No Holds Barred" and Zeus, it always seemed weird to me that the Hulkamaniacs/Million Dollar Team match went on in the middle of the show. At least that's how it was on video. It was followed by Piper's Team vs. Rude's team and then the Warriors/Heenan match.

Were they trying to test Warrior as a main event performer? I can remember in the video package at the start--where all the superstars say what they're thankful for--Warrior went on last during that too--Hogan went on first.

Well, Hogan certainly came across like a jerk at TME, but keep an eye on how Bret Hart no sells Hogan's tirade at the end of the episode. While The Rockers and Neidhart are left shaken and stirred, Bret stays cool and calm while looking at Hogan as if to say, "What a douchebag".

YES YES, I loved that part, Anvil and The Rockers cower at Hogan's anger while Bret's all, 'Hey pal, what's the big deal!'

I just thought of this one while doing my laundry: Was there any particular reason why the Warriors/Heenan Family match went on last at Survivor Series 89? With Hogan being the egomaniac champion and Vince wanting to promote the shit out of "No Holds Barred" and Zeus, it always seemed weird to me that the Hulkamaniacs/Million Dollar Team match went on in the middle of the show. At least that's how it was on video. It was followed by Piper's Team vs. Rude's team and then the Warriors/Heenan match.

Were they trying to test Warrior as a main event performer? I can remember in the video package at the start--where all the superstars say what they're thankful for--Warrior went on last during that too--Hogan went on first.

If you remember, Savage / Zeus did the post-match locker room attack on Hogan / Beefcake to build for the cage match. That couldn't have happened if Hogan went on last.

When did Stone Cold debut the Smoking Skull belt and when was the last time it was seen? The same question with the Rock's Brahma Bull belt.

Why was RVD never given a run with the ECW Heavyweight Championship?

He was supposed to beat Mike Awesome for the belt in 2000, but he broke his ankle a couple of weeks before the match was supposed to happen. By the time he got back, ECW was in its death throes.

Under what circumstances did The Patriot leave WWF? It seems like one day, he was in the midst of a feud with Bret Hart and The Hart Foundation and the next, he was gone. Was it injury? Was he just a casualty of a bygone era?

Injury. I think Del Wilkes retired after that and sold his gimmick to Tom Brandi (Salvatore Sincere), who I believe still wrestles as the Patriot on the indy scene.

Injury. I think Del Wilkes retired after that and sold his gimmick to Tom Brandi (Salvatore Sincere), who I believe still wrestles as the Patriot on the indy scene.

I think he retired because he tore a pec muscle during the Bret fued. This was a reoccurring injury for him, he'd torn it and had surgery to fix it several times. The doctors told him that his muscle had torn so many times that if he kept wrestling he'd just repeat the pattern of tearing it/surgery over and over.

I think he retired because he tore a pec muscle during the Bret fued. This was a reoccurring injury for him, he'd torn it and had surgery to fix it several times. The doctors told him that his muscle had torn so many times that if he kept wrestling he'd just repeat the pattern of tearing it/surgery over and over.

Triceps muscle. He tore it three times before finally retiring.

Guest whalewager.com

He was supposed to beat Mike Awesome for the belt in 2000, but he broke his ankle a couple of weeks before the match was supposed to happen. By the time he got back, ECW was in its death throes.

RVD held the TV Title for so long, many saw that belt as being more prestigious than then the ECW Title

That raises a couple of questions for me.

How long was the Cat in WWE? And did he ever wrestle a match or did he just commentate? Since I wasn't watching during that period, why was he with Vince in that clip

He was there for nearly a year. He had the Velocity announcing gig for a few months, then was supposed to wrestle full-time around the end of 2003, but he was released in early 2004 before he actually wrestled a match. His only televised wrestling appearance was at the 2004 Royal Rumble, where he was thrown out by Benoit and Orton after a dance sequence.

That clip was part of a mini-angle with Sable. Vince came down to "save" her from dancing with the Cat.

I miss Lamont. He was cool.

Not a question, but a kayfabe observation-

Who in the hell would support Hogan against Savage in the MegaPowers break-up, Savage was right to be pissed, on top of being abandoned during the tag match, he always wore tights when teaming with Hogan that said 'Mega-Powers' but Hogan didn't follow suit, and Savage came out to 'Real American' when teaming even though he's the champ, I mean the guy got no respect storyline wise from Hogan.

Man I must be bored today...

While I always agreed with you, you have to remember that after he glommed Hogan, Liz went to check on him and Savage said something along the lines of "I'll splatter you right on him."

Threatening Liz = instant heel.

Still, I know I was rooting for Savage as a 10-year-old mark

When did Stone Cold debut the Smoking Skull belt and when was the last time it was seen? The same question with the Rock's Brahma Bull belt.

Austin debuted the smoking skull belt I think at Fully Loaded 1998, Im pretty sure he had it the next night on raw (I have never seen the ppv) , but he definately had it before summerslam. Vince stole it after he ""lost" the title at Breakdown In Your House 1998. He got it back at Backlash 99 after Rock had stolen it. He lost it to taker at over the edge then regained it on RAW the night after King of The ring and the skull belt returned the next week. The last time it was seen? I believe Summerslam 99 when Austin lost the title to Mankind in a three way also with HHH. Next night on RAW Mick had the standard attitude era big eagle title, where he lost it to HHH for his first title regin and to end Micks 3rd and final reign. The skull belt hasnt been seen since. When austin won the title agin at wm 17, he had the regular belt and kept it during his heel run.

Here's one...a lot of people know about Killer Kahn's early '80s WWF run, and his big feud with Andre the Giant (I think he kayfabe broke Andre's ankle). However, when I first started really getting into WWF in the late 80's, I remember seeing Kahn on WWF Superstars beating the crap out of some jobber. I'd swear there was blood, but my memory as a youngster probably has just faded. Anyway, did Kahn do anything during this run or have any major feuds? I remember him spitting mist and being managed by Fuji, I think.

Here's one...a lot of people know about Killer Kahn's early '80s WWF run, and his big feud with Andre the Giant (I think he kayfabe broke Andre's ankle). However, when I first started really getting into WWF in the late 80's, I remember seeing Kahn on WWF Superstars beating the crap out of some jobber. I'd swear there was blood, but my memory as a youngster probably has just faded. Anyway, did Kahn do anything during this run or have any major feuds? I remember him spitting mist and being managed by Fuji, I think.

I remember a match with Hogan on Maple Leaf Wrestling where Hogan blocked the mist and rubbed it in Kahn's eyes before finishing with the usual.

She did take a nasty powerbomb from the Dudleys though.

How long was Mark Henry European Champion. I know he "accepted" the belt from Jeff Jarrett after defeating D'Lo Brown, but never knew how he lost the belt or how long his reign was.