TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Was Safeco sold out? At times it looks like the upper seats on the opposite side of the ramp are empty.

I think that it was. I have a question of my own- is anybody aware of a WrestleMania venue not selling out? The LA Coliseum doesn't count.

Did Lesnar miss any time due to his botched SSP?

Not much. He was back in the ring within a matter of a few weeks after being diagnosed with a concussion.

Was Hogan under contract from early 02 to mid 03 or did he get paid by the appearance?

I think both. He was exclusive to WWE but he wasn't paid to not work.

Thanks!

Also, how did Booker T. earn the title shot against HHH? The promo before the match shows him throwing Rock over the top rope as if it was a battle royal or something, but I know he didn't win the rumble.

How long was Rick Steiner a heel for in the 80's? Specifically around Starrcade 87 when he was in that 6 man tag match w/ Eddie Gilbert & ? against Sting & the Freebirds.

How did Dino Bravo die? Wasn't he shot during a robbery in his home or something?

Were they planning a Taker/Rhodes feud after Survivor 90? They fight through the walkway. I'm sure it was just a way to eliminate Taker w/out a pinfall, but I thought a feud would come of it.

Did Valentine & Beefcake ever have a real feud after their split? That would've been a good one for a SNME.

2. Bravo was allegedly murdered by members of the mafia. Most believe his murder was related to his alleged role in illegal cigarette smuggling in Canada after his retirement.

3. I've always wondered about that bit. I guess I could see it pointing towards a future feud but Dusty was on his way out in November '90 and was resigned mostly to jobbing to DiBiase or Savage. I've always wondered why they just didn't have him job cleanly.

4. I could have swore that Beefcake and Valentine had a house show feud after WrestleMania III but it looks like they only fought a few times in the Summer of '87. Beefcake mostly faced Johnny V in house shows while Greg Valentine and Dino Bravo fought The Rougheaus. They did

I have a question of my own- is anybody aware of a WrestleMania venue not selling out? The LA Coliseum doesn't count.

Off the top of my head,

WM II - LA and Chicago didn't sell out

WM VII

WMVIII

WM XI

I'd wager that IV and XIII may have been a little short as well.

How did Dino Bravo die? Wasn't he shot during a robbery in his home or something?

Bravo was involved in illegal cigarette smuggling; it is, or was, a very lucrative business. As I understand it, an operation that Bravo was part of went wrong, and a large shipment for cigarettes were confiscated, by the RCMP. This obviously upset a lot of dangerous people, and Bravo apparently fell foul of them. Evidence suggests that Bravo not only knew his killers but was comfortable being around them; there was no sign of forced entry, and Bravo was killed while sitting down and watching hockey on TV. Nobody has been charged in the crime, and likely never will be.

I remember reading rumors in the fall of '01 that Kurt Angle was seriously contemplating leaving the WWF to compete in the '04 Olympics. What ever became of this? Obviously it didn't happen but how serious was he?

I remember reading rumors in the fall of '01 that Kurt Angle was seriously contemplating leaving the WWF to compete in the '04 Olympics. What ever became of this? Obviously it didn't happen but how serious was he?

He was very serious. Then he went and trained with the wrestlers who were competing to be on the Olympic squad, and realized how far behind he was.

Bravo was involved in illegal cigarette smuggling; it is, or was, a very lucrative business. As I understand it, an operation that Bravo was part of went wrong, and a large shipment for cigarettes were confiscated, by the RCMP. This obviously upset a lot of dangerous people, and Bravo apparently fell foul of them. Evidence suggests that Bravo not only knew his killers but was comfortable being around them; there was no sign of forced entry, and Bravo was killed while sitting down and watching hockey on TV. Nobody has been charged in the crime, and likely never will be.

As macabre as this must sound, the only details I knew of Dino's death:

1) It was from the mob, regarding cigarettes.

2) I recall hearing that he was shot 12 times in the head, the bullets forming a circle in his skull.

Did Rey Mysterio originally go by Rey Mysterio Jr.?

Did Mysterio & Michaels ever fight? I think I remember a match on Raw a few years ago.

Also, what was the deal with Big Show coming down during the Angle/Rock match @ NWO 01? He chokeslammed everyone & left & IIRC it didn't lead to a feud with either one.

While we're on the subject of that match.....was that a semi-botched finish? After the first Rock Bottom Angle suppossedly kicks out, but I don't see any kick out & then the Rock just hits the Rock bottom & pins. Looks like Hebner might've messed up.

Did Rey Mysterio originally go by Rey Mysterio Jr.?

Did Mysterio & Michaels ever fight? I think I remember a match on Raw a few years ago.

Also, what was the deal with Big Show coming down during the Angle/Rock match @ NWO 01? He chokeslammed everyone & left & IIRC it didn't lead to a feud with either one.

While we're on the subject of that match.....was that a semi-botched finish? After the first Rock Bottom Angle suppossedly kicks out, but I don't see any kick out & then the Rock just hits the Rock bottom & pins. Looks like Hebner might've messed up.

1. He used the Rey Jr. name until his uncle (who he took his name after) gave it to him.

2. They had a match on the Eddie Tribute supercard 11/13/05 (I forget which program it aired on).

3. Big Show was on a roll upon returning in '01, and I suppose that they had something big in mind, but it just never materialized. Don't know about the finish. I'll have to go back and look some time.

1.) He was Rey Mysterio Jr. in WCW. Then the Jr. was dropped upon coming to WWE. (Same with Chavo Guerrero)

2.) I believe their only singles encounter was on the RAW IS EDDIE tribute show. They did face off again briefly a few later at SSeres 05 in the RAW Vs. SD main event.

3.) I think it was just Big Show just wanting to make an impact plus he didn't like either of them. And yeah, it was Hebner messing up the finish, the first Rock Bottom was supposed to be the finish. Angle talked about it in his "It's true!" book.

1.) He was Rey Mysterio Jr. in WCW. Then the Jr. was dropped upon coming to WWE. (Same with Chavo Guerrero)

Am I right in thinking this is all because Vince McMahon hated being called Vince Jr? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Anyone ever see on the old Hart Foundation video while Mean Gene was walking through the office women kept running around screaming & the chick that was showing him around acted like it wasn't happening? It was a really odd segment & I never really got it.

Besides Andre, who were the other machines?

How did they get involved with Heenan's group? Were they a tag team beforehand or were they specifically brought in to feud with Heenan?

Beacuse IIRC, they were never heard from again after the Heenan feud ended.

Super Machine (Bill Eadie)

Big Machine (Blackjack Mulligan)

Giant Machine (Andre the Giant)

Crusher Machine (The Crusher)

Hulk Machine (Hulk Hogan)

Animal Machine (George Steele)

Piper Machine (Roddy Piper)

Super and Big were the regular Machines, I think. The rest were just the guys in question under masks, very thinly disguised. At least I know Hulk Machine was, that's the only other Machine I've actually seen.

Was there any real reason why the Big Show wrestled in jeans over his trunks in 2002-2003?

Either trying to hide his extra weight or changing up his look, I'd guess.

Anyone remember a match between Mr.Fuji and Bobby Heenan, in 1991 or 1992 i think? I tought it was at a MSG show, but i'm not too sure. I saw that in a PWI at the time, but i can't find that match in old house shows results.

That match happened at Nassau Coliseum in August 1991, Brody.

WWF @ Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum - August 2, 1991 (15,000)

Paul Roma defeated Greg Valentine

The Berzerker defeated Jim Powers

Bobby Heenan pinned Mr. Fuji

Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules

Jimmy Snuka defeated Demolition Smash

The Beverly Brothers defeated the Bushwhackers via disqualification

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned the Warlord

IRS & Ted Dibiase defeated Bret Hart & Virgil when Dibiase pinned Virgil after Sensational Sherri interfered

That match happened at Nassau Coliseum in August 1991, Brody.

WWF @ Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum - August 2, 1991 (15,000)

Paul Roma defeated Greg Valentine

The Berzerker defeated Jim Powers

Bobby Heenan pinned Mr. Fuji

Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules

Jimmy Snuka defeated Demolition Smash

The Beverly Brothers defeated the Bushwhackers via disqualification

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned the Warlord

IRS & Ted Dibiase defeated Bret Hart & Virgil when Dibiase pinned Virgil after Sensational Sherri interfered

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Must have been a classic! :P

The Stars and Stripes Challenge thread raised this question. Did the Lex Luger-Yokozuna feud ever have a proper blowoff? After WrestleMania X, they just went into separate directions with Luger feuding with Mr. Perfect and Yokozuna forming that short lived tag team with Crush. Did WWF just realize nobody really cared about whether or not Lex would finally give Yokozuna his comeuppance and decided to abruptly end the feud? I just found it weird that they'd build up a feud for eight months and then just end it with no big final showdown.