TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Did Martel and Tito ever have a proper blowoff match around mid to late 89 when there was still the ex-partner anomosity between them? The Summerslam 89 six-man tag got me thinking of it and I couldn't remember a PPV singles match (sorry if there was one).

they were supposed to have a match at some ppv but it ended up being tito vs the warlord i believe. they said that martel had to cancel because he had to do a fashion show...haha i loved the model gimmick

Guest Boo_Bradley

SSlam 90

It was also supposed to have Tugboat in Hogan's corner, and Brutus vs Perfect

All scrapped for various reasons

Guest Boo_Bradley

Injured neck in Brawl 4 All

Wrestled sporacticly (sp?) in P. Rico since... (I think)

The 1991 KOTR tournament was changed so the winner got an Intercontinental title shot against Mr. Perfect at SummerSlam? Is this true?

The 1991 KOTR tournament was changed so the winner got an Intercontinental title shot against Mr. Perfect at SummerSlam? Is this true?

The KOTR took place 10 days after Summer Slam ... so probably not.

Why did the Headshrinkers face Yokozuna and Crush at king of The Ring 94? couldn't they have done a rematch with the Quebecers instead of wasting it on a monday night raw.

Why did the Headshrinkers face Yokozuna and Crush at king of The Ring 94? couldn't they have done a rematch with the Quebecers instead of wasting it on a monday night raw.

I'm guessing that they wanted to freshen up the Tag Team Division, so they put together the Yokozuna/Crush team to be credible contenders for the Headshrinkers' tag belts.

I also think that the Quebeckers were on their way out since I remember seeing them only a few times after they lost the belts.

Edited by El Gigante

Guest Boo_Bradley

Because Tag Champs vs Top Tier Upper Card Heels = $$$$$

I loved that match up when I was a kid!

Because Tag Champs vs Top Tier Upper Card Heels = $$$$$

Pretty much. They did have a blow off around this time though ... on Sunday Night Slam (televised maybe a week before KOTR?).

Right after the KOTR is when Jacques and Pierre did the angle in Montreal where Pierre and Johnny Polo double teamed Jacques - which led to the retirement match in October.

WWF @ Montreal, Quebec - Forum - June 25, 1994

WWF Tag Team Champions the Headshrinkers defeated the Quebecars when Jacques was rolled up from behind; the challengers played the babyfaces while the champions played the heels; after the match Johnny Polo and Pierre attacked Jacques

Jacques Rougeau Retirement Show - Montreal, Quebec - Montreal Forum - October 21, 1994

Jacques Rougeau pinned Pierre Oulette with a flying bodypress; Rougeau used Queen's "We are the Champions" as his theme song for the night

As I'm watching the 1985 match with Dusty Rhodes on the Ric Flair DVD set...

What was up with that softball sized lump under Dusty's right pec? I remember reading it was something like a tumor or something like that. Anyone remember what it was?

Is that the match where it takes 2 distractions to pin Crush or am I thinking of some other ppv?

Is that the match where it takes 2 distractions to pin Crush or am I thinking of some other ppv?

Yeah,luger had to distract crush twice because he kicked out of a pin he wasn't supposed to.

Guest Boo_Bradley

WWF World tag title match: The Headshrinkers v. Yokozuna & Crush. Three people in this match are related. Can you guess who? Hint: They're all grotesquely overweight. Each team has two managers -- Lou Albano and Afa on one side, Fuji and Cornette on the other. Everyone gets into a headbutting contest, which the heels lose. More kicking and punching to reinforce that the Headshrinkers have hard heads. Flag to the back from Fuji turns the tide. I never got the Headshrinker face turn. Or putting the WWF tag titles on them, for that matter. See, the Headshrinkers are from AMERICAN Samoa, so they're good people. Yoko tosses Fatu around for a while before Samu gets the hot tag and superkicks abound. Samu goes for the big splash, but Yoko gets rammed into the ringpost outside, causing him to fall off the top. Crush gets an ugly superplex and a legdrop as a result. But here comes Lex Luger to yell at Crush. Samu gets a rollup for two. I'm reasonably sure that was supposed to be the finish and Adams fucked up. So they kind of wander around for a bit, and Samu superkicks Crush for the real pin. DUD

Did Eddie Guerrero ever face The Big Show back in the ol' WCW or was No Mercy 2003 the first time they fought each other?

Did Eddie Guerrero ever face The Big Show back in the ol' WCW or was No Mercy 2003 the first time they fought each other?

No Mercy was their first televised match anywhere, from what I understand.

OK.

What was the reason for Big Bossman being Special referee for Bad News Brown vs Jake Roberts at summerslam 90?

No particular reason other than to generate more heat for the match.

Guest Boo_Bradley
Did Ricky Steamboat have any televised successful NWA Title defenses other than Clash VI?

He fought Flair,Butch Reed, Jack Victory at house shows....but to answer your question........ ask Kayfabe memories.....

Guest Boo_Bradley
What was the reason for Big Bossman being Special referee for Bad News Brown vs Jake Roberts at summerslam 90?

No particular reason other than to generate more heat for the match.

Bossman was quite over at that point, and they didn't have a fued lined up for whatever reason, so he aided Hogan and was made ref in the other bout because Bad News was bad ass and Roberts was heartless, and they'd tear one another up

Did Ricky Steamboat have any televised successful NWA Title defenses other than Clash VI?

He fought Flair,Butch Reed, Jack Victory at house shows....but to answer your question........ ask Kayfabe memories.....

He defended against Ron Simmons in a face vs face match on tv.

What was the reason for the Washington Screwjob at Starrcade 99?

I heard Russo hated Goldberg and did whatever in his power to prevent him from winning the title ever again, but I could be wrong.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Nah, Russo didn't hate Goldberg......yet (their falling out was later in the year, stemming from, amongst others, Goldbergs failed heel turn, working with Steiner, etc, etc)

The Washington Screwjob was just "creative" booking from Russo. It was a work to begin with

Since many people thought Russo had something to do with the Montreal Screwjob, he turned it into a storyline and gave Bret the win at Starrcade in similar fashion ... as payback, I guess you could say and to show that "the Powers that Be" (they were still working that angle at the time) supported Bret.

Then the next day on Nitro, I think I heard the word "Montreal" about 100 times. Bret doesn't want to win like that, rematch, nWo silver is born, etc.

This really has nothing to do with the topic we where just discussing but has anyone seen this from an old episode of WCW Wrestling from late 1991 where Terri Runnels was still the manager of the York Foundation and they where having problems and she told Terrence Taylor that she wanted to having a meeting later that night and he told her that he did not want to go to the meeting so she took a clip out of her and let her hair down and he was like I will be there and she was acting all sexy. It was very bizarre but my question is what was the point of this and where did they go with it?

Thanks.