TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

My guess would be to kill time. You've got two guys trying to work an hour out there, so taking a minute or two for the timekeeper to get taken out allows a breather without it seeming like you're allowing a breather.

My guess would be to kill time. You've got two guys trying to work an hour out there, so taking a minute or two for the timekeeper to get taken out allows a breather without it seeming like you're allowing a breather.

That seems right. Didn't they do a rest hold while everyone (including Vince and King) focused on the timekeeper? Interesting.

Yeah, that was basically just a distraction to kill time. Also kind of made the match seem more intense.

I was browsing WWE's title history section, and noticed they're trying to link the Women's Title with the original one Fabulous Moolah had (sort of). I always wondered...did Moolah really hold the title for three decades? If so, did she just rarely defend it, or was it just kind of "Well, there's really no other well known women to put it on?"

Its been debated that Moolah had actually lost and regained the title three times during her "legendary" 30 year title span before ultimately dropping it to Sensational Sherri.

Edit: So I watched Spring Stampede 1999, pretty good PPV actually from WCW from that time period, can you believe that? Anyway, so I'm watching the main event. Hogan gets carried out due to his knee injury suffered in the match, Ric Flair has Sting trapped in the Figure Four, Savage the guest referee then nails Flair with the Flying Elbowdrop out of nowhere to my surprise (I never seen the match) and helps Page win his first world title!

Why did Savage turn on Flair? Was this ever followed up on? Did they feud again?

Guest Ice Classic V.2

What was the deal with the Nick Patrick fast count at Starrcade 97? I've heard all kind of stories but what really went down.

Did Hogan pay off Patrick or did WCW just want Hogan/Sting 3?

Its been debated that Moolah had actually lost and regained the title three times during her "legendary" 30 year title span before ultimately dropping it to Sensational Sherri.

There's not much of a debate to it. It's fact.

New York City, NY

Madison Square Garden

July 23, 1984

The Brawl to End it All - aired live on MTV:

- Wendi Richter (w/ Cyndi Lauper) pinned WWF Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah (w/ Capt. Lou Albano) to win the title at 11:20 after lifting her right shoulder out of a bridged roll up; David Wolfe did guest commentary for the bout; after the bout, Moolah & Albano attacked the referee after hearing the decision

New York City, NY

Madison Square Garden

February 18, 1985

- Leilani Kai (w/ the Fabulous Moolah) pinned WWF Women's Champion Wendi Richter (w/ Cyndi Lauper & David Wolff) with a roll up to win the title at 11:49 after Moolah hit the champion with her purse as Richter was trying to help Lauper on the floor after she was attacked by Moolah

WrestleMania

New York City, NY

Madison Square Garden

March 31, 1985

- Wendi Richter (w/ Cyndi Lauper) pinned WWF Women's Champion Lelani Kai (w/ the Fabulous Moolah) to win the title

New York City, NY

Madison Square Garden

November 25, 1985

- Spider Lady pinned WWF Women's Champion Wendi Richter to win the title at 6:38 with a small package even though the champion kicked out after the 1-count; after the bout, Richter continued attacking the challenger, even pulling her mask off to reveal her as the Fabulous Moolah, not realizing the match had ended and - once she did - she refused to give up the championship belt; the finish, which Richter was unaware, came as a result of contract disputes with the champion (Richter's last match in the WWF)

Brisbane, Australia

Festival Hall

July 3, 1986

- Velvet McIntyre defeated WWF Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah to win the title

Sydney, Australia

Homebush Sports Center

July 9, 1986

- The Fabulous Moolah defeated WWF Women's Champion Velvet McIntyre to win the title

Houston, TX

Sam Houston Coliseum

July 24, 1987

- Sherri Martel pinned WWF Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah to win the title at 7:56 by blocking an attempted slam into the ring and reversing it into a cradle; after the match, Moolah knocked down referee Joey Marella for counting the pin before Sherri hit her in the back with the title belt - sending Moolah to the floor

As far as her run pre 1984, I'm fairly certain she traded the belt several times between the 50s and then, even if they were only 6-day runs like what Velvet enjoyed. There were several name female wrestlers at the time.

Why did Marty Jannetty disappear so soon after HBK superkicked him through the Barber Shop window? If I remember correctly, Jannetty was supposed to be in the 92 Royal Rumble. Was it drugs? An injury?

As I recall, it was a work. Marty was selling the Barber Shop injury.

According to Marty's shoot, he was placed under house arrest after a scuffle with a cop.

Why did Marty Jannetty disappear so soon after HBK superkicked him through the Barber Shop window? If I remember correctly, Jannetty was supposed to be in the 92 Royal Rumble. Was it drugs? An injury?

As I recall, it was a work. Marty was selling the Barber Shop injury.

According to Marty's shoot, he was placed under house arrest after a scuffle with a cop.

Some things never change.

There's not much of a debate to it. It's fact.

New York City, NY

Madison Square Garden

July 23, 1984

The Brawl to End it All - aired live on MTV:

- Wendi Richter (w/ Cyndi Lauper) pinned WWF Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah (w/ Capt. Lou Albano) to win the title at 11:20 after lifting her right shoulder out of a bridged roll up; David Wolfe did guest commentary for the bout; after the bout, Moolah & Albano attacked the referee after hearing the decision

Technically it's still a debate - because the 30 year reign that's referred to was before this - ending on July 23rd. that it changed after that is a different matter, just shows that she regained the belt

Did Andre The Giant have any solo or tag matches (I'm not counting any Giant Machine matches) between his return to the WWF after filming the Princess Bride and his match with Hulk at WrestleMania III?

Similar question, was Giant Gonzalez's match with The Undertaker at Summerslam 93, his last or did he wrestle a couple of matches as a face? I just thought the idea of Giant Gonzalez as a face was too bizarre for WWF fans to handle.

Guest jm29195

Here's a difficult question- who were the men used as 'jobbers' in the Kurt Angle submission invitational on the April 19th 2001 Smackdown- I saw brief highlights and was curious to know whether any had ever gone on to make something of themselves.....

Similar question, was Giant Gonzalez's match with The Undertaker at Summerslam 93, his last or did he wrestle a couple of matches as a face? I just thought the idea of Giant Gonzalez as a face was too bizarre for WWF fans to handle.

I know he was in the IC Battle Royal on Raw a month or so later. He was the 1st man out so it was hard to tell if he was even supposed to be working as a face or not.

Here's a difficult question- who were the men used as 'jobbers' in the Kurt Angle submission invitational on the April 19th 2001 Smackdown- I saw brief highlights and was curious to know whether any had ever gone on to make something of themselves.....

According to Obsessed with wrestling Kurt Angle wasnt even on that show:

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/resul...own/010419.html

Guest J0bber

I know he was in the IC Battle Royal on Raw a month or so later. He was the 1st man out so it was hard to tell if he was even supposed to be working as a face or not.

What also made this situation more confusing was I think the crowd popped loudly when he was elminated. I think he was supposed to be playing face, but it wasn't working.

Just out of curiosity, and not to sound like a tool, but what was so signifcant about that Invitational? Didn't he always just use a local indy wrestler?

Guest jm29195
QUOTE(TheInsane @ Jun 8 2006, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(jm29195 @ Jun 8 2006, 02:40 PM) *

Just out of curiosity, and not to sound like a tool, but what was so signifcant about that Invitational? Didn't he always just use a local indy wrestler?

This is an excerpt from CRZ's reviw of the April 19th 2001 Smackdown show, as foubnd on the TOA archives:

TONY CHIMEL announces: "The following is a five minute submission exhibition!" Here comes KING KURT ANGLE. Let Us Take You Back to Earlier Tonight, when Angle shoved Benoit through a table while Chioda's back was turned. As my friends from the DVDVR would say, Angle's got THE STICK: "People, I've been beating opponents my whole entire life - it's what I do. As the kids say, it's my 'thang.' And I've defeated many opponents by pinfall, and it's great, but sometimes it leaves me a little empty inside, because all I'm basically doing is pinning someone's shoulders to the mat for the count of three. But when I make someone submit, when I make him quit, and humiliate him to the point that he says 'please Kurt, please, the pain is insurmountable - I surrender to your Olympic wrath!' ...there's no better feeling in the world. And that is why I went to Commissioner Regal and demanded for Backlash, the ultimate submission match. Thirty minutes of pure torture for Chris Benoit. Oh, it's true - it's DAMN true. Thirty minutes of teaching Chris Benoit a little lesson about intensity, integrity, and intelligence. Thirty minutes that, if one man can make the other man submit, tap out the most...he wins. And that's why I'm gonna make Chris Benoit squeal OVER and OVER and OVER again...and I can tell by the cocked heads and the blank expressions out there that some of you aren't getting this (what a shocker). So I'll make it simple enough that even you can understand. Guys, come on out here! Now, these are three young locals, and they have agreed to face me in a little submission exhibition. And the rules are simple. I will place myself in the middle of the ring - and each of these young men will have the opportunity to make me submit. Good luck, guys! And Chris Benoit, I hope you're watching, because I want you to multiply this by fifty, and that's what you can look forward to at Backlash." The OvalTron already has a running clock, but maybe that's a mistake, since the bell rings now. Here's the first guy - Angle takes him down and puts on a headlock/armbar combo. The guy quickly taps. (0:13) Number two runs into a droptoehold - Angle with the front headlock - and a takedown while in the headlock - HE taps. (0:13) Extra kick in the gut for the guy. Guy number three goes for a waistlock - Angle with a fireman's carry takeover and immediately into an armbar (0:16) He tries again from behind - Angle throws him over his shoulder and goes to a jujigatame - and gets another one. (0:12) Second guy runs at him - Angle with a belly-to-belly throw - to a Dragon sleeper AND body scissors, wow. (0:15 ) Angle checks on him...helps him up...then kicks in the back of his leg and applies the anglelock, trying to break his ankle. (0:23) Referee "Blind" Tim White manages to get him to release, and he falls out of the ring. Neither of the two men remaining in the ring wants to try again - Angle actually drops down into the mount and dares them to come on. Clock on the OvalTron is down to 2:20. #3 takes a tentative stab at it - but Angle is quickly up, reversing the waistlock and rolling forward into a toehold takeover, and ANOTHER anglelock. (0:29) He's a little slower to let THIS one go. Angle down on all fours again for the last man - oops, his back is to the ramp, you know what THAT means. CHRIS BENOIT is out, tossing the last man and crossing his throat with his thumb. Benoit stands behind Angle, who looks back...and finds himself in the Crippler crossface! Angle taps (0:25) but I think Benoit is going to keep this thing on for the reaminder of the five minutes. FINALLY Benoit releases. Play his music! If I may channel Jim Ross for a moment...I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to this match.

I was just curious to know if in the 5 years since, any of the wrestlers featured had gone on to do anything- it was the first of Angle's invitational-styles segments and I didn't know if they had used OVW alumni instead- i.e. Anlge beating Haas or Cena in such a manner would be an interesting occurance....

Guest J0bber

This is a bit random, but did the Lex Express really stop in as many places as they said it did before Summerslam 1993? Where would the Lex Express actually go?

I know they took it to DC. They filmed those scenes in July 93, the day of my 2nd house show at the Cap Centre just outside DC. Luger ended up making the save for Bret against Yoko after that night's main event.

Just from watching the music video, they obviously took it to Manhattan. I think there also was a Mount Rushmore shot, IIRC.

Guest J0bber
I know they took it to DC. They filmed those scenes in July 93, the day of my 2nd house show at the Cap Centre just outside DC. Luger ended up making the save for Bret against Yoko after that night's main event.

Just from watching the music video, they obviously took it to Manhattan. I think there also was a Mount Rushmore shot, IIRC.

This is a pretty innovative way to try and get a babyface over. I guess I am one of the few when I say I didn't mind the Lex Express gimmick.

This is a pretty innovative way to try and get a babyface over. I guess I am one of the few when I say I didn't mind the Lex Express gimmick.

no not at all, I bought it as a 10 year old

I admit, I bought into Lex Luger hook, line, and sinker back then. I thought it was cool when he bodyslammed Yokozuna, just because it was someone new as the top babyface.

I quickly got sick of Stan Lane verbally blowing him during his matches, though.

Sting turned heel on Hogan at Fall Brawl 99, what was the real and kayfabe reason for it?

Sting turned heel on Hogan at Fall Brawl 99, what was the real and kayfabe reason for it?

You know, I don't ever remember them explaining it. That's probably one reason why it bombed so badly.

You know, I don't ever remember them explaining it. That's probably one reason why it bombed so badly.

well the tv version went something like this. Hogan had returned as a face in july to win the wcw title from Savage on nitro the night aftre savage won it at BATB. He still was Hollywood hogan. In August, Hogan came out in red and yellow for the Nitro main event of Hogan, Sitng, and Goldberg vs Nash,Rick Steiner, and Sid.

Hogan beat Nash in a "career" match at Road Wild 99. After this show Sting got a title shot at Hogan for FB. Lex Luger returned and tried to get Sting to be on his side and tried to convince him that hogan was lying to him about being his friend, even claiming Hogan was the mysterious "Hummer Driver" by showing a pic of Hogan next to a hummer. SO the buildup has kinda been "is hogan lying?" and it looks like Hogan is setting up sitng kinda. then at the show Luger hands stign a bat which he uses to beat HOgan, thereby turning heel.

Yea, it made no sense.

Not a question, but a kayfabe observation-

Who in the hell would support Hogan against Savage in the MegaPowers break-up, Savage was right to be pissed, on top of being abandoned during the tag match, he always wore tights when teaming with Hogan that said 'Mega-Powers' but Hogan didn't follow suit, and Savage came out to 'Real American' when teaming even though he's the champ, I mean the guy got no respect storyline wise from Hogan.

Man I must be bored today...