TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Why was Waylon Mercy's (Dan Spivey) WWF stint so short? I always thought he had a very interesting gimmick where he'd think and act like a face but in the ring he'd snap and be a heel.

He got injured. I think he had a bad back before even becomign Waylon Mercy and it was only a matter of time.

I seem to recall he was injured in a match with Kevin Nash..

Why was Waylon Mercy's (Dan Spivey) WWF stint so short? I always thought he had a very interesting gimmick where he'd think and act like a face but in the ring he'd snap and be a heel.

He got injured. I think he had a bad back before even becomign Waylon Mercy and it was only a matter of time.

Not sure about that. It's possible, but I'm pretty sure Spivey had some pre-existing injury when he came to WWF, and they were hoping he could just work through it. His character didn't really call for him to be a high impact type of worker.

One thing I was thinking about the other day...I remember an episode of RAW, probably in '97, where I believe Davey Boy and Owen were wrestling the Headbangers. After the match, Jim Cornette came out and introduced his new team...the Headhunters (though he didn't name them). They attacked and laid out the Headbangers. The next week, the event wasn't mentioned and completely forgotten. What happened here?

It was exactly as you mentioned. I have no idea what the hell happened to them.

Not sure about that. It's possible, but I'm pretty sure Spivey had some pre-existing injury when he came to WWF, and they were hoping he could just work through it. His character didn't really call for him to be a high impact type of worker.

I've not seen the interview, but:

"Why did he leave the WWE and exactly how did he get injured working with Kevin Nash?"

http://www.rfvideo.com/browseproducts/Shoo...Dan-Spivey.HTML

Think it was a power-bomb that aggravated a pre-existing back injury.

I saw the match in question (Nash vs Spivey) on Youtube and yea,that powerbomb looked like it did irrepairable damage to his career. Such a shame.

Also, anyone remember when they would replay PPV matches in their entirety on Raw and Superstars? I remember they did this for the December '95 PPV and replayed Bret/Bulldog, Taker/Mabel and HHH/Godwin. Any reason why they did this and why they never did it again afterwards?

Here's one -

Why did the WWE(F) used to tape a lot of their studio programs in Baltimore during the 80's? Did they not have the production facilities in Connecticut during the time?

1. When RVD debuted he was a heel in 2001 right? Did he turn face during the storyline with Austin? Or was he all heel until after the invasion ended? Or was he, heel, face, heel and then face for good?

They turned him briefly face during his semi-feud with Austin during the power struggle within the Alliance while Austin still had to contend with Angle. After the No Mercy PPV though (that RVD mainevented in a triple threat match against both Austin and Angle for the title), RVD and Austin acted like their little feud never happened. RVD was still "heel" until the Alliance ended and was then a face afterwards without an actual turn or kayfabe reason.

After just watching Survivor Series 03 and the beginning of the following night's Raw, here's a question. Bischoff granted each member of his team a favor for winning at the PPV. Jericho saved Trish from Kane in 2004, Christian got Lita her job back, and Scott Steiner got a Tag title shot for himself and Test. What did Orton and Mark Henry ask for? I'm inclined to think Henry just wasted it on a title match that he lost, and Orton got the IC Title shot against RVD at Armageddon, but I can't remember for sure.

After just watching Survivor Series 03 and the beginning of the following night's Raw, here's a question. Bischoff granted each member of his team a favor for winning at the PPV. Jericho saved Trish from Kane in 2004, Christian got Lita her job back, and Scott Steiner got a Tag title shot for himself and Test. What did Orton and Mark Henry ask for? I'm inclined to think Henry just wasted it on a title match that he lost, and Orton got the IC Title shot against RVD at Armageddon, but I can't remember for sure.

Edit: Actually, he got Long to be GM for the night, didn't he?

Does anybody have a copy of the Sting/Chris Benoit Match from Nitro on 9.20.99????

Also Does anybody have copies of all the nitros and thunders from 1999?

No, now quit asking.

So I'm watching some of the first Nitros and i'm wondering:

1. Who's idea was it to put Mongo in the booth? He was god awful. Was this just because Vince had him in the booth for that one Raw?

2. Speaking of Vince, I know it's ok to poke fun at your opponents but god damn Bischoff did it every 5 minutes. When was the first time Vince Acknowledged WCW on commentary?

3. Did Bischoff take over WCW in 1993 after Watts left or was there someone else?

The first 2 hour Raw in February 97, Vince and JR kept saying "we're not like some other guys that will advertise one thing and not deliver". That's the first (almost) mention I'm aware of (they called it the first in the Monday Night War episode I saw the episode on).

1. Who's idea was it to put Mongo in the booth? He was god awful. Was this just because Vince had him in the booth for that one Raw?

2. Speaking of Vince, I know it's ok to poke fun at your opponents but god damn Bischoff did it every 5 minutes. When was the first time Vince Acknowledged WCW on commentary?

3. Did Bischoff take over WCW in 1993 after Watts left or was there someone else?

Bischoff took over directly after Watts left.

If I recall correctly, the WWE rarely mentioned WCW by name on their shows. I remember the first "ECW Invasion" show where Heyman was doing commentary with Lawler and McMahon. Lawler called the BWO a blatant rip-off, and Heyman challenged him to say "What are we ripping off"? McMahon said something along the lines of "Don't confuse the BWO with the clothing line NWO."

WWE almost never acknowledges other promotions on television unless they're in direct cooperation.

That reminds me of when the Nation of Domination was first appearing in WWF, Jim Ross made a comment about "This group has seen a lot of success in the Memphis area", in reference to their appearances in the USWA. Beyond that, I don't think the WWF really ever acknowledged their cooperation with Lawler's group.

WWE almost never acknowledges other promotions on television unless they're in direct cooperation.

That reminds me of when the Nation of Domination was first appearing in WWF, Jim Ross made a comment about "This group has seen a lot of success in the Memphis area", in reference to their appearances in the USWA. Beyond that, I don't think the WWF really ever acknowledged their cooperation with Lawler's group.

I do remember Doug Gilbert appearing in the 1996 Royal Rumble as a result of winning a USWA battle royal of some sort. Otherwise I wouldn't be sure if I heard something from WWE itself or PWI.

Eric Bischoff's idea, and it was mostly because he'd been on Raw once.

Mongo ranks up there as one of the very worst announcers of all time.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Was there any reason Ric Flair had Bobby Heenan and Perfect with him in the 92? Why would the best talker in wrestling history need two managers?

The only reason I could think of was to given the new heel more heel heat.

The idea was that Flair was spreading a lot of money around. They weren't managers, if you recall. Perfect was his "Executive Consultant" and Heenan was his "Financial Advisor."

I think the thing with Heenan was basically just a way for WWF to introduce Flair before he could actually appear on TV. IIRC, Heenan's involvement with Flair phased out fairly quickly. Perfect basically acted as his manager to add heel heat, especially since at least some WWF fans probably weren't that familiar with Flair.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I think the thing with Heenan was basically just a way for WWF to introduce Flair before he could actually appear on TV. IIRC, Heenan's involvement with Flair phased out fairly quickly. Perfect basically acted as his manager to add heel heat, especially since at least some WWF fans probably weren't that familiar with Flair.

Totally unintentional, but it also worked out nicely when Perfect turned face after Ultimate Warrior was removed from the "Ultimate Maniacs" tag team with Randy Savage. I guess this was the second time he was let go from the company.

They were going to face Ric Flair and Razor Ramon at, I believe, Survivor Series. I think everybody knows the story from there, with Savage asking Perfect to be his partner, Heenan says Perfect can't do it and that if he (Heenan) has to listen to Flair then so does Perfect.

Kind of made them both seem like slaves to Flair, which was usually the other way around with Heenan (though you had other rebellions, like when he sold Hercules' contract to Ted DiBiase or when he berated Andre at Wrestlemania after the Colossal Connection lost the tag belts back to Demolition).

How did Ted DiBiase come to manage the Steiners in WCW?

Wasn't it during the "Outsiders run Steiners off the road" angle and he just left the NWO in disgust?

How did Ted DiBiase come to manage the Steiners in WCW?

Wasn't it during the "Outsiders run Steiners off the road" angle and he just left the NWO in disgust?

Unless that happened again, no. They recently showed this angle on 24/7 and Ted seemed cool with it.