TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

As far as encounters in the Fed:

November 10, 1987 - Vancouver: WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, & Jim Duggan defeated King Kong Bundy, Rick Rude, & King Harley Race.

December 26, 1987 - New Haven, CT: Randy Savage fought Rick Rude to a 20-minute time-limit draw.

And then finally almost a year later (12/12/88) at a Phoenix house show - WWF World Champion Randy Savage pinned Rick Rude, then a few more shows around this time. Doubt any were taped.

The Wrestling Gold dvd set has a Savage vs. Rude match from Memphis, if I'm not mistaken.

That's right I forgot to mention that. Though I doubt the match is anything special because from what I've heard Rude didn't get any good until his second or third year in the WWF.

Ok, I was thinking about Austin-Vince...

When Vince was revealed as the Higher Power, I seem to recall Eric Bischoff letting the cat out of the bag on Nitro. How did he know?

He didn't know, he guessed.

Guest the_last_rites
Ok, I was thinking about Austin-Vince...

When Vince was revealed as the Higher Power, I seem to recall Eric Bischoff letting the cat out of the bag on Nitro. How did he know?

He didn't know, he guessed.

Is that a fact or are you guessing there as well

Ugh, I remember a lot of people on the 'net seriously believing it was going to be Owen Hart.

It seemed like it was kind of obvious it was going to be McMahon when Austin was on Sunday Night Heat the night before the big reveal, and spouted something about "I'm not going to say who it is since the sum bitch isn't here anyway."

Ugh, I remember a lot of people on the 'net seriously believing it was going to be Owen Hart.

It seemed like it was kind of obvious it was going to be McMahon when Austin was on Sunday Night Heat the night before the big reveal, and spouted something about "I'm not going to say who it is since the sum bitch isn't here anyway."

I remember some thinking it was going to be Mike Tyson as well.

The funny thing about the Higher Power angle is that, as was the form for one of the writers at the time, it was started with no idea where to go with it. They only decided on Vince at almost literally the last minute, with other choices including Steve Austin and Mick Foley.

I know these have been asked before, but I keep forgetting and I forgot which thread they were in, but:

1.) When The Rock won the Royal Rumble in 2000, was his feet touching the floor supposed to happen or was it a legit accident that WWF made an angle out of?

2.) Was Andre The Giant undefeated in his WWF televised matches going into Wrestlemania III?

I know these have been asked before, but I keep forgetting and I forgot which thread they were in, but:

1.) When The Rock won the Royal Rumble in 2000, was his feet touching the floor supposed to happen or was it a legit accident that WWF made an angle out of?

2.) Was Andre The Giant undefeated in his WWF televised matches going into Wrestlemania III?

1) I assume that Rock's feet were not supposed to hit the floor, and they had to run with it afterwards

2) I recall Andre being "undefeated" to the casual WWF fan heading into Mania

I'm not sure if Andre had been defeated or not on WWF TV before. Of course, he got defeated every now and again in other territories. I know for a fact Jerry Lawler beat him at one point in Memphis in the late 70s/early 80s. And according to his wikipedia article, he lost cleanly to El Canek in Mexico in 1984 and in Japan to Antonio Inoki in 1986. I'm sure there have been others. I'm pretty sure though he hadn't gotten beaten by pinfall or submission in the WWF though.

I got a question of me own from a period where I wasn't watching.

When, how, and why did Bam Bam Bigelow turn face in '95? I'm assuming it had something to do with his loss at WrestleMania XI but I'm not quite sure. I missed a few weeks of RAW around that time and all of a sudden Bam Bam Bigelow went from being a semi-badass midcard heel to Diesel's buddy.

I forget the exact details, but yeah, it was because he got kicked out of the Million Dollar Corporation for his loss. Diesel was portrayed as LT's wrestling trainer and I think that somehow led to Diesel and Bam Bam teaming up.

Bam Bam was such a lame babyface. Maybe it was because his look just screamed monster heel but I just never bought him as a good guy even though his first run in '87-'88 was semi-successful.

Does anyone remember the songs that the Von Erich brothers used for entrance music? I seem to remember "Stranglehold" for Kevin and "Tom Sawyer" for Kerry, but am blanking on David and the rest.

Does anyone remember the songs that the Von Erich brothers used for entrance music? I seem to remember "Stranglehold" for Kevin and "Tom Sawyer" for Kerry, but am blanking on David and the rest.

David used "Texas, When I Die" by Tanya Tucker, which has the chorus:

"When I die I may not go to heaven

I don't know if they let cowboys in

If they don't just let me go to Texas, Boy!

Texas is as close as I've been."

Needless to say, it was a crowd favorite in World Class. Kerry came out to it when he beat Ric Flair in Texas Stadium at the David Von Erich Memorial Show.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Bam Bam was such a lame babyface. Maybe it was because his look just screamed monster heel but I just never bought him as a good guy even though his first run in '87-'88 was semi-successful.

He was over pretty well as a babyface in 1987, actually. Part of it is because I believe he did a program with Andre the Giant - I know he wrestled him on TV - and this was in that period where Andre was the monster heel of the century. He also did those cartwheels and was very, very agile for a big guy. I remember playing with him in WrestleMania for the NES and he had that cartwheel move. That game was awesome - Honky Tonk Man, Andre the Giant, Ted DiBiase, Bam Bam Bigelow... great characters in that game.

He was pretty over in '87 or '88 but I don't remember them doing that much with him outside of the angle at the beginning of his run where all the heel managers were bidding for his services only for him to pick Oliver Humperdink. Oh and he was the last guy eliminated on Hogan's team at the first Survivor Series and got to eliminate Bundy and OMG before getting squashed by Andre.

I don't think Bam Bam got to have a feud with Andre but looking at the History of WWE site, he did face him at MSG in June of '88.

Oh and moving from hosses to cruiserweights; whatever happened to the Amazing Red? And The SATs for that matter?

Actually it happened after Bam Bam got a title match with Diesel a couple weeks after Mania. I believe after the match Diesel made the save for Bam Bam when the Corporation beat him down.

yep thats what happened, I remember that vividly (and I was such a mark, I became a big BBB fan after that)

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
He was pretty over in '87 or '88 but I don't remember them doing that much with him outside of the angle at the beginning of his run where all the heel managers were bidding for his services only for him to pick Oliver Humperdink. Oh and he was the last guy eliminated on Hogan's team at the first Survivor Series and got to eliminate Bundy and OMG before getting squashed by Andre.

I don't think Bam Bam got to have a feud with Andre but looking at the History of WWE site, he did face him at MSG in June of '88.

Oh and moving from hosses to cruiserweights; whatever happened to the Amazing Red? And The SATs for that matter?

He also won a battle royal that was on TV. I think him, Cowboy Bob Orton, and Magnificent Don Muraco were the last 3 guys in the ring, and he ended up eliminating both of them at the same time. Maybe I'm wrong about the other two guys who were in the ring with him though.

So i'm watching a WWF Superstars before 97 and they had Pierroth Jr/Cibernetico vs Furnas/Lafon and Pierroth cuts a promo before and after the match. By the commentary, I can understand that he was talking about Mil Mascaras. Was there ever a match between Mascaras and Pierroth on TV. Was there any point to it besides getting AAA over before the Rumble?

How legitimate, if it all, was Vader's attack on Good Morning Kuwait, and his subsequent arrest?

Vader was told by the English speaking producer to 'ham it up' when the host asked the "Is wrestling fake?" question. He did, and apparently it went too far for the hosts liking, and he filed charges. In that respect, it started out as a work, but it turned very real, including the arrest and detainment.

Red is working as a custodian for the New York City public school system.

How legitimate, if it all, was Vader's attack on Good Morning Kuwait, and his subsequent arrest?

Vader was told by the English speaking producer to 'ham it up' when the host asked the "Is wrestling fake?" question. He did, and apparently it went too far for the hosts liking, and he filed charges. In that respect, it started out as a work, but it turned very real, including the arrest and detainment.

And as WWE 24/7 is now remidning me, it lead to Ken Shamrock cutting "incredible" promos where he called Vader a bully, then called out Mike Tyson for God knows what reason, citing he was a bully too.