TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

That segment is from the Raw 2 weeks after Canadian Stampede and I have no idea what the point was. Sid hadn't been on TV in weeks at that point and I don't think he appeared again after that. I only know the date of this because I have a tape of the post Stampede Raw around here somewhere along with that opening segment from the Raw after it.

I know Patriot beat Bret on the Raw before SummerSlam but I don't know if that was his WWE ring debut. Either way I think he started after Canadian Stampede.

Didn't sid get injured and then they fired him? I think this was around that time but I'm not sure.

1) Who was the Kommandant? My buddy just watched the Truth Commission debut on 24/7, but I don't recall anyone ever managing them but Jackyl.

Follow-up: When did he debut? Was it with the two guys from Stern (Hank the Dwarf or whatever)? When did he take over for the Kommandant....Is it possible they're the same guy? Why did he leave the WWE? I guess it was on horrible terms, but I don't know the story there. It's too bad, as he's one of, if not outright, my favourite talkers ever.

Guest jotumare

1- how many title defenses did Bryan Danielson had while being ROH World Champ???

2- what's the deal with the Ganso Bomb, did Misawa botched and Dangerous K just drop him on his head for the sake of it or it was someting else???

Guest the_last_rites
1- how many title defenses did Bryan Danielson had while being ROH World Champ???

2- what's the deal with the Ganso Bomb, did Misawa botched and Dangerous K just drop him on his head for the sake of it or it was someting else???

Lets talk about 2. Theres a raging debate going on about how the Kawada Driver(Thats another name given to that spot ) is not at all like the original powerbomb or Ganso Bomb. As far as I am concerned they are one and the same. Answering your question though no it wasnt quite a botch. They actually improvised on a powerbomb that could have ended up being one. Kawada didnt have the strength to pull up Misawa(because of the arm injury he suffered earlier in that match) for the powerbomb, so in my eyes Misawa went for the huracanrana and Kawada improvised yet again. When Tiger Mask went for the huracanrana, Kawada didnt lean into it and just stood his ground thereby being in position for the Hangman's DDT and slammed him right down on the head. If you watch the beginning of the spot, you can see how much pain Kawada is in when he's trying to lift him up and halfway up Misawa seemed to have gotten the idea that Kawada cannot go about it and hence I think they went with the reversal of a reversal move with that spot, rather than screwing up the powerbomb. I think the one on Mutoh was premeditated though. P.S If you come up against a puro purist please dont call it a ganso bomb(even though the result of that famous Lou Thesz botch was something along the lines of being dropped on the head as well) call it either Kawada Driver or some shit like Kneeling Vertical Powerbomb/DDT, lest they go all Sasuke on your ass

That segment is from the Raw 2 weeks after Canadian Stampede and I have no idea what the point was. Sid hadn't been on TV in weeks at that point and I don't think he appeared again after that. I only know the date of this because I have a tape of the post Stampede Raw around here somewhere along with that opening segment from the Raw after it.

I know Patriot beat Bret on the Raw before SummerSlam but I don't know if that was his WWE ring debut. Either way I think he started after Canadian Stampede.

Patriot was one of the guys in the aforementioned segment. That was his RAW debut, in San Antonio, eight days after Canadian Stampede.

Has anyone ever been pinned by the figure-4 leglock?

Ric Flair beat Randy Savage for the WWF title in 1992 by pinning him in the figure-four.

Ric Flair defeated Eddie Guerrero at Hog Wild and Hollywood Hogan at Uncensored 1999 in the same manner as well.

When Austin threw the IC belt over the bridge did it:

Hurt the IC belt because he wouldn't job it

or

Did it just help build the Austin character?

The WWE.com website posted a feature on SD's World Heavyweight title. The title history only shows from when Triple H was given to it by Bischoff but the photo gallery has photos of champions with the Big Gold Belt from the NWA, WCW and WWF invasion eras. Would you say that its all the same lineage or no?

Yes, after so much confusion over the years since its resurrection, the WWE finally admitted its the same lineage when their History of Champions magazine was released earlier this year. Hell, its even somewhere on the title portion on the website that the WCW Championship = WWE World Heavyweight Title.

The WWE.com website posted a feature on SD's World Heavyweight title. The title history only shows from when Triple H was given to it by Bischoff but the photo gallery has photos of champions with the Big Gold Belt from the NWA, WCW and WWF invasion eras. Would you say that its all the same lineage or no?

This is always a fun debate...

I don't think there is any accepted consensus opinion on the lineage of the various world titles, but this is how I see it:

The NWA title is the one currently held by Adam Pearce, and has no modern connection with any of the world titles in WWE. The board of the NWA, such as it is, sanction the NWA champion and they recognize Adam Pearce as NWA world champion.

The WWF title is the WWE title, and the 'World heavyweight' title is simply the gold belt that Eric gave to Hunter and has nothing to do with the NWA title, the WCW title or the WWF title. The WWF and WCW titles were merged into the Unified title. When Brock Lesnar took it to Smackdown, it was subsequently renamed the WWE title, and so for me the WWE Title is still the merged WWF and WCW titles, simply with a new name. The 'World heavyweight' title on Raw is simply a title belt that came out of a suitcase and was given a fancy name. Because it looks like the old Big Gold Belt, some people take it to mean it's a continuance of the NWA or WCW title, but I don't see it that way. Whatever the NWA title was is strictly a part of the NWA and not WWE, and the WCW title is still part of the Unified title which is now called the WWE title.

For me, the WWE title's lineage goes back to Chris Jericho, because it's still the renamed Unified title. The lineage of the 'World heavyweight' title goes back to when Eric pulled it out of the briefcase.

The 'World heavyweight' title on Raw is simply a title belt that came out of a suitcase and was given a fancy name. Because it looks like the old Big Gold Belt, some people take it to mean it's a continuance of the NWA or WCW title, but I don't see it that way.

Minor note here. Since Cena and Batista switched shows, the World Heavyweight title is now on Smackdown I believe.

The 'World heavyweight' title on Raw is simply a title belt that came out of a suitcase and was given a fancy name. Because it looks like the old Big Gold Belt, some people take it to mean it's a continuance of the NWA or WCW title, but I don't see it that way.

Minor note here. Since Cena and Batista switched shows, the World Heavyweight title is now on Smackdown I believe.

I'm too used to all the important things being on Raw.

This is always a fun debate...

I don't think there is any accepted consensus opinion on the lineage of the various world titles, but this is how I see it:

The NWA title is the one currently held by Adam Pearce, and has no modern connection with any of the world titles in WWE. The board of the NWA, such as it is, sanction the NWA champion and they recognize Adam Pearce as NWA world champion.

The WWF title is the WWE title, and the 'World heavyweight' title is simply the gold belt that Eric gave to Hunter and has nothing to do with the NWA title, the WCW title or the WWF title. The WWF and WCW titles were merged into the Unified title. When Brock Lesnar took it to Smackdown, it was subsequently renamed the WWE title, and so for me the WWE Title is still the merged WWF and WCW titles, simply with a new name. The 'World heavyweight' title on Raw is simply a title belt that came out of a suitcase and was given a fancy name. Because it looks like the old Big Gold Belt, some people take it to mean it's a continuance of the NWA or WCW title, but I don't see it that way. Whatever the NWA title was is strictly a part of the NWA and not WWE, and the WCW title is still part of the Unified title which is now called the WWE title.

For me, the WWE title's lineage goes back to Chris Jericho, because it's still the renamed Unified title. The lineage of the 'World heavyweight' title goes back to when Eric pulled it out of the briefcase.

I agree with all of this. Simply making a Raw belt and using the Big Goldy as the visual representation does not entitle the holder to the lineage of the title. The WCW title, created in 1991, was unified with WWF title by Chris Jericho and has since passed to Cena. The World title is a new belt, created in 2002 by Bischoff. There is no connection to the old NWA title.

Does anyone know who Eddie was suppose to defend the World Heavyweight Title against if the storyline went ahead and he didn't die?

After defeating Batista was Rey his next opponent?

or

The latter. It just made Austin appear more of a "I don't care about anything except the big belt" bad ass. Austin was already a main eventer so it was a complete sign of his attitude towards life in general.

or

The latter. It just made Austin appear more of a "I don't care about anything except the big belt" bad ass. Austin was already a main eventer so it was a complete sign of his attitude towards life in general.

Plus "The Rock" ended up getting it so the belt definitely didn't suffer.

I have to disagree. If the WWE can unify the US and IC belts then un-unify the titles and put the US lineage back into a belt with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT design, then they can do the same with the WCW world lineage with a belt that looks almost exactly the same.

The only reason why we got this mess to begin with is WWE didn't want to initially acknowledge the terrible titleholders the Big Gold went to during Russo's wonderful 1999 - 2000 world title management skills.

I'm glad WWE finally sucked it up after all these editorials in their magazines and through the website. Hell, they even acknowledged it when they brought the damn belt back to begin with the video package showing old NWA / WCW footage in the tribute / build-up videos.

Going back to the Buddy Landell stuff, I always wondered why him and Ric Flair had the EXACT same look, same robe, same hair, etc... Landell was even managed by J.J. Dillon. I was going to email Meltzer about this, but then I came across here and found the conversation about it. Was Flair a ripoff of Landell or vice versa? And why would you want to ripoff one of your own, which basically became a carbon copy? Landell even used the Figure Four, so this made me really confused as to why they would basically have clones.

Any update on what Chris Nowinski is doing these days? I know he wrote a book about concussions and he made a brief cameo on Raw last year but what has he been doing to pass time these days? He was always my favorite Tough Enough guy. Decent heel and good on the mic.

Honest question to you all:

Was the Ultimate Warrior still over in 1996? Was the panick move worth it for the WWF for those few months? Should he have gotten a WWF world title run and Michaels' run abruptly ended? Would HBK vs. Warrior face vs. face match work?

Honest question to you all:

Was the Ultimate Warrior still over in 1996? Was the panick move worth it for the WWF for those few months? Should he have gotten a WWF world title run and Michaels' run abruptly ended? Would HBK vs. Warrior face vs. face match work?

I think it was a panic move as the WWF was in big trouble around this time. No way would HBK/Warrior had worked. Neither would agree to do the job.

I was just watching David Arquette in WCW and I'm wondering, after he turned heel, how long was he in WCW for?