TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I think Austin's name change was done in an interview. I remember Austin wrestling Vega at WM 12 as Stone Cold Steve Austin even though he was still the Million Dollar Champion with Dibiase.

Does anybody remember what started the Big Show / Eddie Guerrero feud in 2003?

When did Austin say he threw the match so Dibiase would lose? I remember watching WWF at the time, and I don't remember ever hearing that. I'm just curious, its always bugged me.

Anyone got footage of that promo they cut on RAW the night after Beware of Dog? I want to see the smirk

When did Austin say he threw the match so Dibiase would lose? I remember watching WWF at the time, and I don't remember ever hearing that. I'm just curious, its always bugged me.

It was at the Tuesday Beware of Dog show. He cut a promo right after losing his match to Savio Vega.

Yea when Savio won the strap match, he got the crowd to sing "Na na na na" to DiBiase as he left and Austin just stood there as if he was saying "oh well" and just acting like he didn't care.

And about Eddie/Show in 2003, I think Eddie was in the locker room fresh off a victory and he ran into the Big Show and he just challenged him to a US title match. The weeks following saw Big Show steal burritos from Eddie and getting diarea from them and also, Eddie drowning Show in feces.

I think Austin's name change was done in an interview. I remember Austin wrestling Vega at WM 12 as Stone Cold Steve Austin even though he was still the Million Dollar Champion with Dibiase.

Does anybody remember what started the Big Show / Eddie Guerrero feud in 2003?

24/7 had a vega/austin match from raw in march 96 on the shorties last month as "stone cold debut" basically this one week on RAW he came out announced under a different name, with no explanation given (though the announcers had always said Ringmaster was very cold-blooded and calculating IIRC)

Here is something that I have always wondered. As somebody who wasn't watching WCW at the time, why did Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey briefly reunite as the Skyscrapers for Starrcade 90, only to have it go nowhere? I mean, Sid was still a member of the Horsemen at that point, so what explanation was given for the situation?

Here is something that I have always wondered. As somebody who wasn't watching WCW at the time, why did Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey briefly reunite as the Skyscrapers for Starrcade 90, only to have it go nowhere? I mean, Sid was still a member of the Horsemen at that point, so what explanation was given for the situation?

I've wondered the same thing because if you watch that match... Sid and Spivey are over big time with the crowd in St. Louis (I used to have Starrcade '90 on tape, and would watch it regularly). If I recall, it was promoted as just a one night only reunion, and really, the match was nothing more than a very short squash of The Big Cat and The Motor City Madman. I was a mark for both of them so I was hoping the Skyscrapers would stay together as a team.

Sid was kind of in limbo at that point after the mini-feud with Sting and the other Horsemen dealing with Doom. WCW had some nice things set up with that PPV. They had the Horsemen/Doom feud that never got a proper blow-off, although Ross suggested a cage match in the commentary. They also had a very hot return of the Skyscrapers that could have easily turned into a feud with the Steiners as well. Unfortunately, the booking was just awful at this point, and in 1991 it hit rock bottom.

The Survivor Series '98 thread got me thinking of this.....

They just mentioned this on something during 24/7 this month, I wanna say Valentine's Day Massacre; Something about "Well, he's not wrestling with shadows, JR."

Story? I can kind of piece it together, but was here any arm-twisting into saying it? By whom, in particular, was Bret's documentary not well-received?

Wasn't the deal that Farooq was pinned in a tag match where the loser would get fired, and since Bradshaw wasn't pinned, Heyman said he still had a job?

Bradshaw sold out to Heyman and Faarooq wasn't down with it, as I recall. Of course he was shoot fired at the same time too.

Why was he shoot fired? Seems like he's on pretty good terms now with the E.

Wasn't the deal that Farooq was pinned in a tag match where the loser would get fired, and since Bradshaw wasn't pinned, Heyman said he still had a job?

I seem to remember this. I think it had something to do with Simmons laughing at Heyman over something that happened to him, so Heyman said if they didn't win the next match, which was for the tag titles I believe, they would be out of a job. Simmons lost and Heyman said Bradshaw got to stay, talking abour Bradshaw's financial success planting the seeds to lead to the birth of JBL.

The Survivor Series '98 thread got me thinking of this.....

They just mentioned this on something during 24/7 this month, I wanna say Valentine's Day Massacre; Something about "Well, he's not wrestling with shadows, JR."

Story? I can kind of piece it together, but was here any arm-twisting into saying it? By whom, in particular, was Bret's documentary not well-received?

It was Valentines Massacre, during the tag title match- Owen Hart/Jef Jarrett vs Dlo/Mark Henry. Owen was in the ring and king said "That's cuz he's not wrestling with shadows"

and he didn't say it to JR cuz It was Cole calling the ppv with hime (this being the time where JR got Bells Pallsy again)

I'm sure the WWF was not pleased with the Bret documentary ( I can imagine Vince's reaction to how he was portrayed). SO maybe they fed King the line.

OK, kind of a weird question:

Around '93 or so, Jim Duggan was still pretty popular in the WWF. I remember him even getting a shot at Shawn Michaels' IC title on RAW. Was there ever any serious thought to putting a title on Duggan, or was this just sort of a place holder program?

The latter. At the time, there was usually (emphasis on usually, sometimes there wasn't) one big (subjective) match on RAW, so I figure that they used that program for two weeks to provide the "big match" feel. Shawn beat Duggan by DQ in a Lumberjack Match, and the next week lost the title to Marty Jannetty, so we never heard about Shawn/Duggan again. Plus, Duggan was jobbing all around the circuit to Yokozuna, so I'm sure he wasn't getting a title. Duggan didn't appear a whole lot more, and after the Countdown to SummerSlam that they did where he lost to Yoko, he was gone.

Who were the members of the Nation in the spring of 97? The rappers were PG-13, D-Lo was a suit, but I don't remember him being referred to by name until the Raw that's currently on 24/7, when Crush and Savio were fired. Were the three or four suits anyone of note?

No I don't think so. I remember they had a female member too. USWA had a Nation of Domination with Reggie B Fine, Tony Falk and I think Tracy Smothers.

Anyone know why WWF only seemed to use PG-13 in one or two televised matches? I thought they would have been a decent addition to their relatively thin tag division. Pretty sure their last appearance had them getting completely destroyed by the LOD.

Anyone know why WWF only seemed to use PG-13 in one or two televised matches? I thought they would have been a decent addition to their relatively thin tag division. Pretty sure their last appearance had them getting completely destroyed by the LOD.

My guess would be that they were undersized and sort of "indy" for what the WWF was doing at the time. That's just conjecture, though.

Why was Ahmed Johnson fired back in 1998? I remember 2 Ahmed stories in Foley's book on how he wouldn't let Chyna hit him or put Kurgan over. Were those the reasons?

They wanted to fire him months before that. Him refusing to job to Kurgan was a legal excuse to fire him.