TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest Frank_Nabbit
Me and my 2 neighbor loved the Harts - when we did our quasi backyard wrestling i was always Jim N., and the other 2 were Bret and owen- we'd reinact great matches and what not...

You were NEIDHART? How dare you call yourself a smart mark! :P

Now Now poor Boo's been banned so he can't explain his actions...

You may want to consider the mark part of the equation

1) Was putting the WWF title on Bret at the house show in 1992 just a spur of the moment decision?

2) Why was DDP never given a world title push in 1997 or most of 1998? He was super over as a babyface for a while there. Is it just the usual Hogan politics crap?

3) Does anyone remember the WWF Summerslam Flashback from 1997? I watched a tape of that the other day, and they actually recapped the Taker vs. Taker angle on that! Just thought I'd mention that. :)

4) What was the deal with Curtis Hughes' short WWF stint in 1993?

5) What did Yokozuna do from Survivor Series 94 to his return at Wrestlemania? Did he just need some time off? And did Hogan ever try to bring him to WCW? It seems like he would, since Yoko got the best of Hogan in the WWF, and Hogan wouldn't want to leave it at that! :)

6) What was the deal behind Warrior's WCW return in 1998? It seems weird he would agree to come back to job to Hogan and then leave.

How did Flair win the match against Steamboat for the vacant WCW Title on WCW Saturday Night?

IIRC, Steamboat either missed a simple crossbody - or something to that effect - and was stunned enough for Flair to cradle him and get the pin.

I don't remember it being a very memorable match and the outcome was pretty obvious.

1) Was putting the WWF title on Bret at the house show in 1992 just a spur of the moment decision?

2) Why was DDP never given a world title push in 1997 or most of 1998? He was super over as a babyface for a while there. Is it just the usual Hogan politics crap?

3) Does anyone remember the WWF Summerslam Flashback from 1997? I watched a tape of that the other day, and they actually recapped the Taker vs. Taker angle on that! Just thought I'd mention that. :)

5) What did Yokozuna do from Survivor Series 94 to his return at Wrestlemania? Did he just need some time off? And did Hogan ever try to bring him to WCW? It seems like he would, since Yoko got the best of Hogan in the WWF, and Hogan wouldn't want to leave it at that! :)

6) What was the deal behind Warrior's WCW return in 1998? It seems weird he would agree to come back to job to Hogan and then leave.

1. It wasn't a house show - as so many believe - it was a TV taping. Bret found out earlier that day.

2. They were building for the world title push that came in 98.

3. Taker was world champion at the time ... so it kinda makes sense.

4. Probably had an attitude problem.

5. Took time off. I remember on some WWF syndie in 94, Jim Cornette was asked why Yoko wasn't on the Summer Slam card and he tried to downplay that it might have been because of Taker's return.

6. I'm sure Warrior didn't just come back to job to Hogan and let that be it but he and WCW clashed and he was gone. He probably wasn't even under contract - just being paid per appearance.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

1> Mr. Perfect and others were in line to win it as well, Vince made the title switch on the fly so that the other upper carders wouldn't play politics.

2> He drew well enough with his fueds with the NWO/Savage/Raven/Beniot... only the Savage fued was a reasonable World Title Fued.

4> He frequented S+M bars, not quite family friendly stuff for the ultra cartoonish WWF

5> He was supposed to lose weight, He didn't

6> He wasn't popping ratings or attendence, plus he's a wack job.

1> Mr. Perfect and others were in line to win it as well, Vince made the title switch on the fly so that the other upper carders wouldn't play politics.

Flair was injured, Savage just held the belt, and Warrior was in contract negotiations (which obviously didn't work out). Bret was the next best thing.

How was the Ultimate Challenge made to begin with? Was it like Warrior: Hey, Hogan! I'm The Warrior, lets fight?"

Guest drdrainoscott

The first or the second?

The first time, Warrior and Hogan began their rivalry at the Royal Rumble where they had a confrontation when they were the only two left in the ring. I think they did a double clothesline spot where they both were laid out to show that they were equal forces. Later in the match, Hogan "unintentionally" eliminated Warrior. In real life, though, Hogan wanted time off and the match was to "pass the torch" to Warrior.

The second time, Hogan was giving an interview in the ring and kept talking about things being "ultimate". It was so blatant and contrived by the way he kept putting emphasis on the word "ultimate". Then, out of nowhere, out comes Warrior. Warrior then began to torment Hogan for weeks by creating the One Warrior Nation (get it? O.W.N.). He even stole the Disicple from Hogan. I think Warrior was gone right after their match at Halloween Havoc.

The first or the second?

The first time, Warrior and Hogan began their rivalry at the Royal Rumble where they had a confrontation when they were the only two left in the ring. I think they did a double clothesline spot where they both were laid out to show that they were equal forces. Later in the match, Hogan "unintentionally" eliminated Warrior. In real life, though, Hogan wanted time off and the match was to "pass the torch" to Warrior.

The second time, Hogan was giving an interview in the ring and kept talking about things being "ultimate". It was so blatant and contrived by the way he kept putting emphasis on the word "ultimate". Then, out of nowhere, out comes Warrior. Warrior then began to torment Hogan for weeks by creating the One Warrior Nation (get it? O.W.N.). He even stole the Disicple from Hogan. I think Warrior was gone right after their match at Halloween Havoc.

How did Warrior draw as champion? I mean, he always got big pops...but was the WWF doing good business with Hogan out of there and Hellwig as the main man?

^ I'm pretty sure Warrior's drawing ability as the champ bombed as the title was later returned to Hogan (through Sgt. Slaughter though).

Guest drdrainoscott

Yeah, it was around this time when I believe they were doing two house shows a night and the Hogan shows always out drew the Warrior shows.

^ I'm pretty sure Warrior's drawing ability as the champ bombed as the title was later return to Hoganed (through Sgt. Slaughter).

The WWF was doing so bad, there was actually thought of putting the belt on Rude at Summer Slam as a transitional champ for Hogan.

Here's one I had...about Royal Rumble 91...

What was the NON storyline reason for Savage not being in the Royal Rumble match? I already know the in-character reason...running from Ultimate Warrior after screwing him out of the championship.

Guest wayzing

What was the NON storyline reason for Savage not being in the Royal Rumble match? I already know the in-character reason...running from Ultimate Warrior after screwing him out of the championship.

I'm not sure there is a juicy behind-the-scenes-reason for it. I've always assumed that it was for the sole purpose of selling Savage avoiding Ultimate Warrior.

Then again, Savage didn't wrestle at the previous PPV Survivor Series either :huh:

Then again, Savage didn't wrestle at the previous PPV Survivor Series either :huh:

Savage was on vacation at the time of Survivor Series 90. He was just coming back at this point to start his feud with the Ultimate Warrior. He did that run-in in the Dibiase-Warrior match on SNME.

Rumor was at the time: They had Savage come in to do SS 90 in case Demolition member Ax no-showed as he was on the way out of the company at the time (that Survivor Series match (Perfect & Demolition vs. Ultimate Warrior, LOD, and Kerry Von Erich*) was his last I believe). Ax showed; Savage did the promo.

The Warrior-Savage feud was AWESOME, btw...not to get to off the subject!

*known as the Warriors. Ultimate, Road Warriors, and "Modern Day Warrior" Kerry Von Erich. Pretty neat, huh?

Did the Knights from Survivor Series 1993 ever wrestle any other matches as the Knights, or was that just a one show thing?

I remember reading some results about some tag team matches involving Knights at house shows, but they would have all been house shows or dark matches. Nothing on TV that I can recall.

Betty Houle...I can't see the words "Warrior" and "Awesome" used together in a positive light too often, for some reason.

Except for this one time I dreamt after watching an ECW show about Warrior and Mike Awesome having a match...

Betty Houle...I can't see the words "Warrior" and "Awesome" used together in a positive light too often, for some reason.

Except for this one time I dreamt after watching an ECW show about Warrior and Mike Awesome having a match...

Seriously, that was a great feud! The angle to set it up was good, the Royal Rumble stuff was all great, the cage match that had was damn good, and the Wrestlemania match was damn good with an awesome epilogue.

Savage and Rude were the only guys to get good matches out of the Warrior.

The best idea I can come up with would be that they were protecting Savage for the Retirement Match with Warrior.

If Savage was in the Rumble, someone would have to eliminate him as he obviously wasn't winning it. This way no one would have that claim.

Did the Knights from Survivor Series 1993 ever wrestle any other matches as the Knights, or was that just a one show thing?

They worked house shows through that January but were never again used on TV. I'm not even sure if it was the same people playing the Knights. Probably Barry Horowitz and Jeff Gaylord but I doubt Valentine worked any other bouts with the mask. That was probably just a one shot for him.

How did Hogan turn face again in WCW after the nWo angle and who did he fued with? And why was he wearing nWo colors during the infamous Bash at the Beach 2000 "shoot"?

Guest Frank_Nabbit
The first or the second?

Don't forget they also came to blows during a tag match on SNME and both saved each other from Earthquake and then got pissed at the other guy for making the save.

*Remembers Quakes Gold/Brown trunks*

Ugh.

Guest Frank_Nabbit
How did Hogan turn face again in WCW after the nWo angle and who did he fued with? And why was he wearing nWo colors during the infamous Bash at the Beach 2000 "shoot"?

He dumped the NWO Hollywood look after his knee surgery, when he came back he fueded with NWO Wolfpac leader Nash, and brought out the red and yellow, which lasted til October, when he left again.

When he came back in early 2000 he was R+Y Hogan but he had Hollywood Hogan's aggression (according to the Superbrawl 00 annoncers) Then when Russo and comany took over, he was Fuck U NEW Blood Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea, thus back in black.

He did the double switch with Flair at Uncensored 99 and was cheated out of the title due to referee Nick Patrick.

After that he took a few months off, came back, beat Savage for the belt, lost it to Sting, did the Havoc 99 angle ... came back after Russo left in Jan 00 ... feuded with Luger ... then had Kidman sent after him upon returning in April 2000.

Was 1991 or 1993 the first year they did the "winner of the Rumble gets the mania title shot" thing. I'm guessing 93 with Yokozuna, but I could easily be wrong.

How did the Nation of Domination originally form? And how long did Farooq go around wearing that helmet thing?

Was 1991 or 1993 the first year they did the "winner of the Rumble gets the mania title shot" thing. I'm guessing 93 with Yokozuna, but I could easily be wrong.

How did the Nation of Domination originally form? And how long did Farooq go around wearing that helmet thing?

93 was the first.

Farooq wore the helmet from July to October. After he and Sunny split in September he soon joined with Clarence Mason. I don't believe it was until his entrance at the Survivor Series that the fans actually saw the "Nation", though it was probably spoken of before that point. That was PG-13's debut as part of the faction.