TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Beezel

Ground Zero Comments

Guest Beezel

I take full responsibility for that complete crap you see there. Or lack of it. I should have actually come up with ideas for this storyline. I should have made myself be more involved and most of all, even with my hectic schedule I should have found a way to write something, anything. This is my fault. I apologize to King, Grand Slam, Edwin, and to Atlas for not realizing the finish to his idea.

I'll understand if I'm not booked.

Having gotten the unpleasant parts of this out of the way, let's get to the comments. I will do a full post on that seeing as more in depth reading is required.

The people who no-showed....it pisses me off. But the past is in the past. I'd like everyone to show that they care about this fed, and to do it starting RIGHT NOW. I'm going to read the entire PPV, and comment deeply on every single thing. I want other people to join me in doing this. If you don't have the time to read/comment the entire thing, then choose a match, and give some good comments on that. People need to start showing that they care about what other people write, rather than just congratulating them on a win after skipping to the end of the match. This place is too much work unless there's mutual support. Also, as the end of the PPV showed us, Genesis IV is coming up. This PPV has always kicked ass, and this isn't gonna be the year that it goes down the tubes. Everyone needs to start promoing, setting up stuff for the PPV, and commenting on other people's promos. Last summer, promos would have 15-20 replies. Many promos are lucky to get 5 now. So let's show CC that we actually have a work ethic, and that we want to see this fed succeed, and try supporting each other. So I'm hoping you'll all read the entire PPV, or at least some of it, in-depth, and appreciate what the hours of hard work turned out.

Guest ErekT2k

Just wanted to give some props to Mr. Strangler for an awesome streetfight match that had creative spots here and there and also for the highlight that still sticks in my head:

avoiding the car this time

:P

A hundred percent credit goes to Ejiro for carrying me through a kick-ass match; I begged him to do a co-write, and then flaked out on him. The only thing I can say in my defense is that I was with him; that's WC, Jr. I haven't seen him in six months, and I've had him here with me for the last week. I thought that I would have more time to write, but after having to be separated from him for half a year, I couldn't bring myself to tear away from him to sit in front of a computer.

Anyway, given the circumstances, I don't feel qualified to comment on the no-showers, so let me just congratulate newbie, Craven, Mr. PPV, Quiz Show, Frosty and the Network.

My fault. I didn't start on the match early enough, didn't have the motivation to keep writing, and didn't make it back home on time to finish. I guess the secret's out and the bombshell ruined, but whatever, it didn't have enough going for it to not flop. Fuck it, I'll regroup and try to work around it as best I can.

The show seems good from what I have read so far. There is way too much to read tonight, but I plan to finish in the morning and comment a plenty.

I'm not sure why your so upset about it, King. Aside from the no shows, the matches I have read so far are really good. :D

Kudos to Grap and Mike on their win. Now let's have a rematch when i'm not dead from heatstroke AND NOT ON THE HOTTEST... DAY... EVER!

(The match of course DID kick seven shades of ass. I just know me and Dace can do better than OUR match)

Well, it’s going to be a slow day at work, so Strangler, I will certainly take you up on the “talk about the whole show” proposition. Though I’ll wait till a few other of the active guys have weighed in with their thoughts to give my full rundown.

But: there is one match where I’ve read all the possible outcomes, and I just want to say: congratulations, Michael Craven. If any of you want to see a great approach to writing a four-way elimination match, please read Craven’s big win on the PPV. His first fall is absolutely superb: he manages to keep all four men involved without getting too chaotic, and the first sequence where all four of them interact simultaneously after being initially paired off is really something special. His second fall gets away with broken pinfalls through the simple virtue of explanation and character motivations, and his final fall should solidify him as a strong contender for some time to come. All three guys turned in very good efforts (despite what “I have no ego” Sacred and “I have even less ego” Judge might tell you), but Craven just took the ball and ran with it. I know King’s pissed about no-shows, but I guess I got lucky with the match I was marking. I definitely want to commend these guys for giving me a very delightful 2 hours or so of good old-fashioned wrasslin’. Twas a pleasure, gentlemen.

Well, let's not be too hard on the people that no show. We haven't had a problem with no shows in a while now, so I don't think we should ream them totally. I guess it's just frustrating because of the timing of these no shows and the reasons for them. It just so happens that this was the first PPV that we actually advertised on other boards and other websites, trying to get more people to check us out. It just so happens that this will probably be the first time that people other than those reading my words now will actually be reading your matches. So, the timing could not be worse for these no shows. Also, I think what's upsetting CC is that this was a PPV and the majority of the no show reasonings were essentially, "I didn't feel like writing," or "I didn't have any motivation," and stuff like that. Not that there's anything wrong with those reasons, per say, but I think CC has to wonder: If you can't get up for PPV, then what can you get up for? I mean, I've been in that situation where you just don't feel up for writing or whatever, and that's cool...I just think that CC feels like you would force yourself for a PPV. A regular show...whatever, that's cool...but they figured a PPV, where we on CC worked very hard to advertise and get the word out there, you woulf force yourself to write. I'm not mad...I'm just trying to give possible reasons for King's (and maybe other CC members) anger and frustration.

Now...on to the PPV comments:

I can't dwell on the no shows because what was there was excellent. Window Pane match....superb. I'm going to go back and read in depth...that and the Main event and the cage match.

Johnny Dangerous is back! And he's a heel! That'll be a hell of a fued...Dangerous vs. Wildchild! WOOO!

And why has no one yet mentioned this HUGE news: MARK STEVENS HAS BEEN FIRED!! WTF??? King, you jackass! I'm sorry, buy if this is going where I think it's going....BY GAWD! This is gonna be a huge angle, and a very much anticipated Genesis match!

That's all I have so far. I"m gonna have to wait until tomorrow to post the results of this PPV on the other boads, mainly because I wanna see if we can't get a few of those no shows cleaned up.

Da "sweet PPV..." H

(despite what “I have no ego” Sacred and “I have even less ego” Judge might tell you)

As if man, i have no self-confidence at all.

You realise now that I have to face Judge in a match to determine the most egoless person the SWF is. The winner will hold their hands up and claim the match was so good because of their opponent, and the loses will kiss the feet of the winner, prasing them as allah.

Ok, now I'm just rambling.

Guest Goodear
Kudos to Grap and Mike on their win. Now let's have a rematch when i'm not dead from heatstroke AND NOT ON THE HOTTEST... DAY... EVER!

(The match of course DID kick seven shades of ass. I just know me and Dace can do better than OUR match)

Psssh, didn't you get the memo? There are no rematches for the tag belts. Otherwise Judge and Me would have teamed up in the last month.

PREPARE FOR RETURN~! Chunkachunka!

Psssh, didn't you get the memo? There are no rematches for the tag belts. Otherwise Judge and Me would have teamed up in the last month.

PREPARE FOR RETURN~! Chunkachunka!

Serves you right for being good enough for singles pushes...

First off, whoever wrote the little promo at the beginning (whether it be King, someone else on CC, or Tod) was very nice. I liked it, and it was a nice way of just running down the card.

JOHN DURAN vs. DANTE CRANE vs. XCALIBUR

On to the triple threat. I know Duran worked his ass off to actually have a match to hand in, and I’m impressed by that. It may have taken his 24 hours of tedious work to get that much done, but he did it, and it’s a good sign that he’s willing to do what it takes to show when he doesn’t have his best stuff going, rather than just no-showing and waiting to fight another day. It’s a good attitude for sure. The action at the beginning is textbook stuff, but it’s certainly a tried and true way to start a triple threat. Crane and Xcalibur seem to be faces, so it seems like it would have made more sense to have those two team up, rather than Duran and Xcalibur, but it sets up Duran’s heel persona when he’s the one who actively breaks the team to attack Xcalibur, which is nice as well. The match goes right by the book, doing the “Two men in, one man out” style of triple threat writing, which is the easiest, if not the most creative, way to do it. It looks like Duran could use some work on learning how to write Riley and Stevens, but I’m sure that the commentary in my first WF match with Curry and NTD was butchered as well, so it’s not the end of the world. Just a note: I hate, hate, HATE the gay jokes with Riley. They’ve all been done over the years of him being a JL and WF announcer. The triple suplex spot is a nice change, where all three men are in the ring at once, and it’s one of the better spots in the match, IMO. The match does seem to do a good job of establishing Duran’s character, which is an important thing to do in a debut match, but not enough attention seems to have been paid to Crane and Xcalibur’s characters. They’re new as well, and it would have been nice to see some good stuff done with their characters, rather than just being generic faces. Crane’s offense here is nice, since a good deal of the match so far had been brawling, so it was nice to see Crane get some of his acrobatic offense in, in addition to all his kicks. Xcalibur’s Revenge is a nice move, since I’m a total mark for anything shooting-star related (especially G’s shooting star backrake). Duran pulling Xcalibur out of the way was also very nice. Good mind game stuff. The finish was nicely written as well, as I also mark out for finisher reversal sequences (as anyone who’s read damn near every match I’ve written can attest to). Plus, the “almost gets there in time but doesn’t quite” thing is gold as well. Overall, it did show that Duran wasn’t into it when he was writing this one, but despite that, it’s a pretty solid triple threat. I’m looking forward to reading more of his WF work, since I didn’t follow him in the JL. Hopefully all these three will be solid pickups for the WF, and they’ll help to replace some of the people who aren’t around right now.

WILLIAM HEARFORD vs. MICHAEL CRAVEN vs. ANDREW BLACKWELL vs. NATHAN KIBAGAMI

My first comment: I really, really dislike Craven’s entrance. That’s just me, though. Seems over-gimmicked. The beginning of the match is nice, since Ash is managing to keep track of four men at once, which isn’t easy to do. Craven working the neck is nice psych work early on, as it carries over from last time. I like the way that Judge takes control with the German and DDT. Solid ring work. I feel like Kibagami stayed down a little too long before breaking up the Surprise Witness, and that he and Craven should have changed jobs. Although breaking up pins doesn’t make a ton of sense in an Elimination match, the reasoning that Kibs wants to break Judge’s pin is OK. It’s nice that you put over why Craven wanted to eliminate Judge so badly with the commentary, which makes it much more forceful. The Craven Clutch is a pretty lousy name for a submission, IMO, but the writing was good. I really don’t like that Craven broke up the pin Blackwell had on Kibs. It’d leave Craven one-on-one with Blackwell, and he’d have the big advantage. The explanation is OK, but still fairly illogical. Also, the Craven Section is another fairly obvious ripoff, like the entrance I mentioned earlier. I’d like to see Craven develop his own ideas, rather than using the flavor of the month so often. The fake Demonstar, followed by Kibs taking control, is nice. I’d like to see a little more of Kibs no-selling, rather than just playing face in peril. (BTW, how many nicknames does Craven have?) The finish is nice as well. Good work overall.

DANNY WILLIAMS VS. TNT

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t understand the puro style, so this could influence my opinions on this match. Things start off slow, as the two men seem caught in a stalemate. The battle of wills/strength is very nice, and makes sense in the situation. TNT’s strength vs. Danny’s superior knowledge makes for a good running storyline. I actually marked out when TNT managed to escape from the surfboard stretch. It was a very well-written submission sequence, which is something that I have no ability to write, and I thought that it got the mentality of both characters very nicely. TNT then starts to go to things outside his moveset, which is a nice touch, since he needs to throw new stuff at Danny to fool him. And what’s the deal with the whole SLEEPAAAAAAAAAAAAAH and TOPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH and all that? Seems very out of character for Mark. Then, one of the rare instances in SWF history where people trade knees rather than punches or chops. It’s different, that’s for sure. The near-finishers have been nice as well. I didn’t expect the kickout of the Mushroom Cloud, and it kinda left the finish up in the air. Once Danny had kicked out, however, it wasn’t all that surprising to see TNT kick out. Fair play and all. The finish seemed rather odd to me, as it really wasn’t built up, and kinda came out of nowhere. Not my style, really, especially since there had already been a ton of lariats and elbows. And the last commentary line was funny. Good stuff.

That’s all for now. I’ll do the Ejiro/WC match, the tag team match, Tom vs. Frost, and a certain street fight tomorrow.

Guest Suicide King
And why has no one yet mentioned this HUGE news: MARK STEVENS HAS BEEN FIRED!! WTF??? King, you jackass! I'm sorry, buy if this is going where I think it's going....BY GAWD! This is gonna be a huge angle, and a very much anticipated Genesis match!

It's because no one cares, Thugg. As usual, the only people excited by an angle are those involved in it. Sigh.

It's because no one cares, Thugg. As usual, the only people excited by an angle are those involved in it. Sigh.

I actually didn't mention it because I thought everyone else would. Oh well. I think it's awesome, personally, but I think you knew that already. King stepping in as announcer for the main event was a great touch, and I especially liked how Strangler played him and Riley off each other.

Strangler started commenting, so I will too. I agree with him that it would be awesome to just have some discussion of the matches here. Everyone benefits!

The opener! A triple threat with two relative unknowns is a tough stip to debut with, and Duran did a fine job. Special bonus for the infamous “MISAWA KILLA!!”, aka the mighty elbow to the back. One common rookie mistake: a little too much homo-Riley. It’s classic, but no need to go overboard. Nice false finish on Dante’s moonsault – I almost bought it. You did well with characters who really haven’t been fleshed out yet. The match was a bit vanilla overall, but showed a good grasp of the storytelling n’ wrasslin’ mechanics. I haven’t followed the JL much lately, so I’ll be excited to see you go in a singles match against a more established character, and hope you’ll get that opportunity on the next show.

I’ve already weighed in on Craven’s match, but I wanted to address something TBS said:

I really don’t like that Craven broke up the pin Blackwell had on Kibs. It’d leave Craven one-on-one with Blackwell, and he’d have the big advantage. The explanation is OK, but still fairly illogical.

See, I thought that was incredibly great. If he had eliminated Kibs then, I would have been really disappointed. Craven's whole match story was the tale between him and Kibs--I had more problems with the pins being broken up the first fall then this one. I thought it was absolutely essential--it would have been lame had he not explained it, but he did it crisply and concisely in the commentary. All I asked for.

I’d like to see Craven develop his own ideas, rather than using the flavor of the month so often.

I would agree with you here...2 months ago. I'll be the first to rag on Craven when he screws around, but also one of the first to give him credit: he's taken this stuff and, for one of the first times in his career, kept it all constant and not just changed it immediately. And just like paring off Amy Craven, he's reduced how much the heel section is present, and he cut out the belt girls...it's gradual, but good.

Onto Danny vs. TNT! TNT gets the win, but it looks like the writing style was mostly Danny’s. I very much liked the pace—the first few minutes go buy without a major strike or impact move, but are still very exciting. Particularly great is the surfboard and TNT’s subsequent escape. Very simple, but logical, dramatic, and not marred by any of the generic low blow or elbow to the ribs transitions that usually get slotted in here. It tells a great student/teacher tale, and the subtleties of Danny’s reaction to his pupil’s turnaround foreshadow TNT getting the victory very well. The dueling powerbomb attempts throughout help flesh out the student/teacher tale well, and Danny’s resourcefulness to just keep coming with the elbows ratchets up the intensity of the brawl. They start throwing bombs towards the end as it heats up—I really thought the Mushroom Cloud was going to end it, and then thought Danny’s powerbomb had it done. More good work with the duality there—these two are matched up move for move, and the powerbombs plus lariat/elbow comparison throughout match really paints them as two guys cut from the same cloth. The double-strike finish is somewhat inconclusive without being cheap, and I would really like to see this go to a big blow-off at Genesis. These two probably don’t even need a stip—maybe 2/3 falls would suit them well, but they could probably just go straight-up again and have it be huge. If Danny wins there, he will have finally become a world title contender. If TNT wins, he’ll be back on top of the world and stronger than ever, having proven that this win over his mentor was the real deal. Very good match. Unlike TBS, I love the play of elbows vs. lariats just because they were so pivotal to the match. Every one seemed to be important in a way.

WC/Ejiro!What a great idea for a stip! WC/Ejiro put a lot on the line and was a great way to keep this feud going. Add in the awesome blue cage, and you have one hell of a setup. Have I mentioned that Ejiro makes a great US champ? Great opening with the belt shot, and then holy hell, what a powerbomb variation from WC! That’s how the match plays out: great cunning, spectacular spots. I love the recurring image of Wildchild scrambling up the cage; it’s not something you usually see in a cage match. Special points for the “orgasm of pain” after the blown frog splash. That all this brawling is so convincing when it’s two cruiserweights doing the pummeling is very impressive—the description of the moves and the way they use the cage to reinforce their impacts really puts a lot of weight behind the action. As for the Super Wild Ride II: SICK. That was a great reversal. I don’t think I liked the ref opening the door, though. What’s the point of having a functional door in a cage match, much less one that the ref opens himself? It defeats the purpose of the cage if people can get in and out that easily, especially if you’re going to have them go over the top for the finish anyway. And why does Ejiro start going up the cage if he’s been going for the door all along? This was the one aspect of the match that really lost me and it’s too bad that it came so close to the ending. After that unfortunate confusion, we do get a disgusting finish with the hotshot off the top of the cage, and an Ejiro win that sets up a really cool relationship. Should be good both for drama and comedy, I’m betting. To top it off, we get the return of a much more grizzled Johnny D—I love the “this is the kind of spy you’re not supposed to talk about” line. His heelish reasoning is a little over-the-top, but it’s cool to have him back to add yet another element to the WC/Ejiro saga.

That's all I have now. More people join in! Discuss matches! Debate with me and TBS! There's no reason this thread shouldn't be active all the way up to the posting of the next show. It's a frickin' PPV, people--read it! Everything's good!

DANNY WILLIAMS VS. TNT

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t understand the puro style, so this could influence my opinions on this match. Things start off slow, as the two men seem caught in a stalemate. The battle of wills/strength is very nice, and makes sense in the situation. TNT’s strength vs. Danny’s superior knowledge makes for a good running storyline. I actually marked out when TNT managed to escape from the surfboard stretch. It was a very well-written submission sequence, which is something that I have no ability to write, and I thought that it got the mentality of both characters very nicely. TNT then starts to go to things outside his moveset, which is a nice touch, since he needs to throw new stuff at Danny to fool him. And what’s the deal with the whole SLEEPAAAAAAAAAAAAAH and TOPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH and all that? Seems very out of character for Mark. Then, one of the rare instances in SWF history where people trade knees rather than punches or chops. It’s different, that’s for sure. The near-finishers have been nice as well. I didn’t expect the kickout of the Mushroom Cloud, and it kinda left the finish up in the air. Once Danny had kicked out, however, it wasn’t all that surprising to see TNT kick out. Fair play and all. The finish seemed rather odd to me, as it really wasn’t built up, and kinda came out of nowhere. Not my style, really, especially since there had already been a ton of lariats and elbows. And the last commentary line was funny. Good stuff.

Yaaaaaaah! Somebody comments on one my matches for the first time in a very long time(probably the last PPV)! Not to be a hypocrite since I haven't commented yet. Trust me, I really tried to write a review for the PPV, but all the lower card matches seem to be triple threat and I'm not a big of fans of those, so my review would be unfairly biased, and I also don't feel right criticizing matches that are higher on the card for whatever reason.

Now commens on Strangler comments:

There is nothing to not understand about puro, it's just wrestling in another country(though, alot of it is alot more advanced than American wrestling).

The style of the match itself starts off in a very old school style(70s stuff with obvious tribute spots to Funk/Jumbo), with a few hints of junior flash thrown in(Williams channeling Owen Hart's spirit during the reversals). The end of the match is very much early 90s All Japan.

Everybody seems to be using the Mark Stevens mark out move commentary now days, and I always loved it when announcers go bat shit over big moves, so I use it.

The finish of the match actually started around the knee trading so the ending wasn't really out of nowhere. It was built up because Williams was in total control earlier in the match, when with one Burning Lariat TNT turned the tide. It was a bit of foreshadowing of the move being the momentum shifter. And of course in our tag match, the elbows killed TNT dead.

The Lariat/Elbow ending was fitting, both men had done landed all their bombs, and they were to messed up to throw some more, all they had left was their strikes. The Double K.O. before the pin was to cap off the matches running storyline of TNT's will power and determination carrying him over the smarter and actually better wrestler in Danny Williams. It's a slight variation on the Hokuto/Kandori (greatest match of all time) double punch ending.

Once again, Thanks for the comments, it really keeps me going.

To criticize myself, I really wanted to do more with the commentary, but I ended up putting so much pressure on myself that I got writer's block. As a result, I barely finished the match, at one point quitting before changing my mind.

Edited by Coffin Surfer

Guest Evolution

Congrats to all the winners, especially Double Jeopardy, on a job well done. I would comment on the entire show, but being a bumpee, it wouldn't be very informative, now would it?

Secondly, I'd like to apologize for turning in what I thought was a somewhat lackluster match. Commentary was as bad as I had expected it to be. Dante, X, if I didn't get your characters quite right, I apologize, and I agree with pretty much all of the comments that Edwin and TBS have offered about the match. I vow to do the best I can to make my Storm offering a better one.

Edwin has just explained my own match better than I could. I'm glad you caught the Surfboard spot foreshadowing the overall winner of the match.

The final run of Burning Lariat/Half Nelson Suplex/Dynamic Bomb and Rolling Elbow/German Suplex/Powerbomb was indeed meant to show their similariites and to get off that they were matching each other move for move. I really should have brought that up better in the commentary.

And what the hell, I'm gonna attempt to review Frost/Flesher tommorrow. I need some time to do it justice though.

I think I see what you were going for, Danny, and it does make sense now that you explained it. You just need to work on using the commentary to explain what you're doing. You can set up all this brilliant stuff, but unless you make reference to it in the commentary, a good deal of it goes to waste. If you just write Stevens as explaining what's going on, like you did in this thread, your commentary will improve tenfold. I'd love to see the improved commentary, just so I can appreciate a lot more of the stuff you do.

I'll second TBS here. I was going to comment on your match earlier, Danno, but computer time nixed that idea. I did, however, notice a lot of subtle things that flowed really nicely in the context of the match, but I couldn't really be sure where you were going with it. In some respects, allowing the reader to draw his own conclusions about that is great - however, there were some occasions (although I can't remember them off the top of my head) where I would've loved for you to just shove in my face where you were going with it.

Just my two cents.

Janus pulled a Silent.

Expect a match in your box ASAP, King.

To pull a Silent, I would have to have written nothing.

I didn't.

Now, getting banned from the computer for several days, on the other hand...

:|

EJIRO FASAKI vs. WILDCHILD

I liked Ejiro’s ramblings and cowardly actions at the beginning. Ejiro really knows how to write his character, and I’ve enjoyed the stuff of his that I’ve read. Still, I have a soft spot in my heart for spot monkeys like Wildchild, and he’s one of my favorites in the fed right now. These two both RULE at writing their characters. The backdrop into Code Red powerbomb totally ruled. Wildchild is going nuts with the speed in this match, and Ejiro is owning in his mannerisms. Ejiro really has shown a ton of promise to me. I like the selling of the ribs, which isn’t something we see enough of in the fed. It’s always the leg, shoulder, or neck. I just wanna see someone target the nose or something someday. I marked for the variation on Eddie’s sunset flip powerbomb off the ladder. Brilliant stuff. And I’d like to see Fasaki and WC team up at some point. They’d be a great duo. (Y) @ the Wild Ride off the top. Badass and a half right there. I’m also willing to guess that a hotshot hasn’t been used to end too many matches, but it was a cool idea here. Overall, the match was good, but there could have been SO much more done with it.

A little disconnect between Ejiro and Johnny here, since WC was out of the picture with his child over the week (which is as good an excuse there is). “I’m Too Sexy For My Shirt” would be the worst entrance theme ever, if it wasn’t for Double Jeopardy’s theme, which sucks more cock than Thugg (and that’s a LOT of cock. Hey, I’m just testing to see if he’s reading). A nice solid heel turn, going with the “I didn’t do it, it was you, the fans, who did it” method that can turn just about anyone heel. And damn straight they’re wearing TBS t-shirts. I rule, bitches. WC shows some passion on THE STICK~!, and does a good job. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I'll put up the comments on the last two matches tomorrow after work. And SOMEONE go comment on my match. Someone.

My pleasure, my good man.

I come into this with high expectations--after last year's match with Erek Taylor, Strangler's character seems tailor-made for street fights. The question is, does Thoth hold up as well?

The answer is, unfortunately, a slight no. But I still liked it very, very much. The match doesn't really get going when they're still at the ring, but as soon as they start wandering all over the place, things really pick up. Strangler and the car is brilliant on all accounts. I love him driving Thoth's body out to the ring as a fast way to get him there. It's very cool. This match is not really my style--the big all over the place brawl was never something I was very good at, nor really too interested in--but I really dug this match. It was flat-out fun--not a technical masterpiece by any stretch, but very clever use of the environment and some great superhero face vs. weaselly sadistic heel interplay. The brawl in King's room makes a particularly effective use of props n' setpieces, and it's too rare that we see people go through windows. Kudos there. I also usually don't like run-ins, but TNT's was great--how could a tag partner not do that for his pal? I don't know why TBS wasted his time with the table, though. That kinda killed some of the momentum--if he was going to do that, the announcers should have played up him actually wanting to hurt, humiliate, and destroy Thoth, when it seemed like he really just wanted to get a pinfall and took that circuitous route. The ending slows down to a crawl, which is unfortunate--the Scum Gale counter and Massacre through a table is a brutal finish, but it sorta plods its way there. But with what came before, there's really no way around it...both men should be absolutely exhausted and murdered after going off ramps, going through tables, and bleeding all over the place. In the future, I might suggest some more energetic prose--we can feel the burnt-up struggle, but can also get more drama and intensity if you amp up the atmosphere end of it. All in all, a very solid, inventive brawl, but one that loses a bit of its crispness in the final act. The match suffers a bit because Thoth's character seems poorly engineered for the wild street fight, but Strangler the writer pulled it together very well thanks to the tenacity and bad-ass herodom of Strangler the character. A fine first title defense for the Superstation.

I do agree that the finish was a little slow. I wrote pretty much all the wrestling action, up to the running powerbomb, in one six hour stretch, and I had a good flow going that night. I finished the next night after a long shift at work, and I didn't have my A game that night. The ending wasn't perfect, but I also knew Thoth was no-showing at that point, so my motivation was dying as well. Overall, I thought it was solid, and if I had a couple hours to clean it up, it would have been a better match overall.

My match is now edited into the show thread. It was completed on Monday night and it's now Wednesday night for me (I threw on 5000 words to get it to 9000 instead of doing requried homwork), but it wasn't edited in for whatever reason. So yeah.

Edit - And I should add, Janus wrote the first 2000 words on it. I managed to get 3000 words onto it, but I couldn't do anymore due to school commitments (3 assignments~!) and I waited all day for him to come online. But he did not, and didn't for the couple days, this was due to his parents banning him from the computer. What can I say? Shit can and does happen.

Edited by Crowe

Guest Goodear
It's because no one cares, Thugg.  As usual, the only people excited by an angle are those involved in it.  Sigh.

Maybe its just me, but I'm just really turned off by angles from the office anymore. It doesn't help that I was never around during King's and Steven's heydays so I have very little of the feeling for the characters that some of you might. So, I don't know... it feels too much like JR coming out of the booth to fight Vince to me since I've only ever been exposed to GS as a announcer.

Thanks to TBS and Edwin for the comments for the cage match, and I'll hopefully be able to repay that with a bit of commentary myself today. Anyway, just to answer some of the critique that Edwin had for me.

I don’t think I liked the ref opening the door, though. What’s the point of having a functional door in a cage match, much less one that the ref opens himself? It defeats the purpose of the cage if people can get in and out that easily, especially if you’re going to have them go over the top for the finish anyway. And why does Ejiro start going up the cage if he’s been going for the door all along? This was the one aspect of the match that really lost me and it’s too bad that it came so close to the ending.

I'm actually with you on that as I generally don't really like escape cage matches. But since King set up the stipulations the way he did and the match went in that direction, I think it really worked as far as setting up the differences between the two characters. Ejiro would rather go through the door since its generally easier and Wildchild would prefer to go over the top since he loves heights. And those aren't even really conbscious choices for the characters to be honest, its just what they would do. But by the end of the match, both guys are so screwed up and despirate that they'll go against their natural inclinations in order to get out of the cage. So while it would be easier for Ejiro to go throught he door, the cage is closer and right there for the climbing and he goes for that instead.

You'll also notice that both Wildchild and Ejiro passed up chances to leave the cage earlier in the match (Ejiro after the cage ram and Wildchild when he went for the frog splash) but chose to stay in to dish out more punishment. By the end, neither guy cares about that anymore and just want to stop getting dropped on their heads :)

But yeah, I could have done more with the match, and I'll admit that. I was mildly dissapointed with the way the match flowed, but I think the full on sprint style sort of thing sort of evolved naturally while I was writing it. The only sequence I thought needed more to it was the post Wild Ride II sequence with the body scissors and foreams as I thought it came off a little too soon to put Ejiro back on offense so quickly after such a monster bump.

I see... so it isn't that people didn't read it, they just don't care. I'm not sure if that is better or worse. ::sigh:: I thought I meant more to the Fed than that.

Honestly, I was hoping for a bit more reaction than that. I wasn't expecting long-winded "NOOOO!!!!" type posts, but more than one or two people mentioning it would have been nice. Between the opening package (which was mine, by the way) and the "Grand Slam gets fired promo" I wrote for three and a half hours. I know this doesn't seem like a lot to those of you who wrote PPV matches, but if you consider I retired because I didn't have time to write... well, let me just say there were better ways to spend my Sunday than this.

This may sound bitter, and I guess it is. There was a time when nearly everyone would take the 30 seconds to comment on matches and promos, at least to let the writer know they read it. I guess I miss that level of involvement in the Fed.

I was going to take the high ground and not say these things, but Ejiro's comment hurt. I might be out of line, but so be it. I think I have earned to right to say what I really think once in a while.