TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

I can't wait untill Pixar leaves Disney...

When Pixar first joined with Disney years ago, they were not a company large enough to be able to carry themselves at all. They were not proven, and they weren't big as they are now at all. At this point though, Pixar is more than well enough off to be able to break apart from Disney in order to become independent. If not totally solo, than at least join with another company. Here is a question from "10 Questions For Michael Eisner" in the latest TIME magazine...

1) TIME --- Finding Nemo was a Summer smash; Sinbad, a major flop. Is traditional cel animation dead?

Michael Eisner --- What's dead is bad storytelling. Technology doesn't make the movie; the story makes the movie. We've obviously done very well with computer animation and Pixar.

2) TIME --- What are the odds you'll strike a new deal with Pixar?

Michael Eisner --- I can't predict exactly what kind of financial or creative relationship the companies will have together. I've learned from the legal profession that whenever somebody asks you for odds, you say "Fifty-fifty". So why don't we just leave it at that?

3) TIME --- Can Disney afford to loose Pixar?

Michael Eisner --- It's like asking if Disney can afford to loose any creative opportunity, and the answer is, it depends on the cost. We like being together with other gifted artists, but we are not contingent on any individual entity for growth and success.

...that's all of the questions that have to do with Pixar. I really hope that Pixar leaves them after their next two movies (I believe that's all they have to do with Disney anymore, one more Toy Story I believe and the new one due out next year about superheros). It'll be very interesting to see what Disney does without their REAL current cash cow.

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

I wish Pixar and ILM would die horrible deaths with all the members breaking up and hating each other forming different studios so that the rest of us animators out there don't have to put up with the monopoly they have over animation, special effects field. Fucking bastards.

Oh yeah...they should leave Disney.

Why did TIME spell the word 'lose' wrong? That doesn't make sense.

If Eisner is smart- He'll pony up the dough and keep Pixar. Without them- Disney animation is pretty much fucked

Well if Pixar leaves then that gives Disney more time to make more girl power movies like Princess Diaries, Freaky Friday and Lizzy McGuire.

The two movies left on Pixar's Disney contract are The Incredibles in Nov. 2004 and Cars in Nov. 2005. Toy Story 3 isn't being considered atthis point. As part of their deal, Disney owns the characters. So if they want to make Toy Story 3, they have to resign with Disney.

Guest El Satanico

So Pixar leaving means Disney will do a bunch of shitty Direct To Video Toy Story sequels.

Perhaps even a cell animated Toy Story 3 released in theaters as an lame attempt to revive their animation.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
The two movies left on Pixar's Disney contract are The Incredibles

I'm looking foward to The Incredibles, if only because it's using the theme from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

If they weren't shacked up with Disney, would Pizar make kid's movies? I mean how well would computer animated serious work do at the box office in the wake of Final Fantasy?

I think Pixar has a niche in the market and they would be CRAZY to give up making children's films. The reasoning is simple enough, they make characters that kids will want to see (and also buy the merch) but they give a story that adults can appreciate and love.

They truly have a winning formula and they would be crazy to break it for more than one movie.

Guest El Satanico

If they leave Disney, I'm sure Pixar will experiment outside the realm of children's movies.

They will still do children's movies which are their bread and butter.

So Pixar leaving means Disney will do a bunch of shitty Direct To Video Toy Story sequels.

Perhaps even a cell animated Toy Story 3 released in theaters as an lame attempt to revive their animation.

Lame? Emperor's New Groove was not lame. That last move Lilo and Stich wasn't that bad.

Disney will never die and the people who think it will are obviously not well informed of the business side of Disney.

Guest El Satanico

I know Disney won't die...but the animation division will be on life support if Pixar leaves.