TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MissMattitude

Most Underrated Bands.

Guest Choken One

No because they get love from those who know what the fuck they are talking about...

Guest two_tuff_toddy
blind melon. i downloaded a few tracks of theirs, thought they were good. bought their first album, was surprised how great they really were.

I totally agree with you there. Plus you can't forget about the BEE GIRL. That totally puts them over the top.

Guest two_tuff_toddy

I would have to say the following 2 bands

The Yardbirds

Throbbing Gristle

I've heard that first album, and the followup, which was enough for me to decide I couldn't stand them. Unless they have completely and utterly changed their entire sound to something different, and replaced the band, and gotten a new producer, and...

Their style of music has come pretty damn close to changing completely. Download 'Across the Night' and compare it to their earlier work. The lyrics have improved a lot as well, and thank god for that. 'Anthem for the year 2000' gets my vote for worst lyrics ever.

The Mr. T Experience never get the credit they deserve, which instead goes to vastly inferior band such as Green Day, Rancid, NOFX, and the like.

Bands like Mr T Experience, The Queers, Avail and Screeching Weasal never really grew past having a loyal but modest following on Lookout Records despite having good tunes and personality.

Screaming Trees were a good band that never broke huge in the Grunge era and singer Mark Lanegan's solo albums deserve a wider audience for the quality of his voice & his songs.

The Boo Radleys were often stupidly dismissed as a one hit wonder for the 'Wake Up Boo' single when they were one of the better guitar pop groups of the 90's, marrying 60's pop with the influence of later shoegazer/noise sound and producing a couple of really great albums.

With the likes of Weezer (I like them) breaking big it was a shame a band like The Fastbacks never found similar success. Consistantly good songs and great harmonies. The Posies are another case for undervalued pop-rock but at least Frosting On The Beater was acknowledged as a good album by some.

Throwing Muses were one of the key late 80's/early 90's American indie bands but never get the same acclaim as other acts from that era who get namechecked constantly. From recent years The Heavy Blinkers, Noahjohn and The Kingsbury Manx deserve a higher profile.

blind melon. i downloaded a few tracks of theirs, thought they were good. bought their first album, was surprised how great they really were.

I totally agree with you there. Plus you can't forget about the BEE GIRL. That totally puts them over the top.

i want to go back in time and have sex with that bee girl.

I'll concur with Thin Lizzy, within their field they are constantly overlooked, and 'Live And Dangerous' is probably one of the best live albums ever.

Sparks never get the recognition they deserve. The early stuff is pure songwriting genius, and for further example of how unique they really are, check out last years 'Lil' Beethoven'. Find me anything else that manages to be a pop record and sound like that.

Foetus is terribly underrated.

The Throbbing Gristle mentions reminded me, cause they have a somewhat similar style (Foetus is better imo), yet Foetus gets much less recognition.

Guest BAR

I think Kyuss are under-rated unless you indulge in the art of 'blazing up'. I wouldn't say Deep Purple are underrated as they get ranked up with the other big three bands of the 70's here in England.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Foetus is terribly underrated.

~!

Foetus is the fucking shit. J.G. Thirlwell is a god among lyricists, with a great creepy delivery. The way he uses different influences to effect the industrial core he has to his stuff is mind-blowing. Nail, Gash, and Null..three whip-ass albums.

Guest MissMattitude
Sparks never get the recognition they deserve. The early stuff is pure songwriting genius, and for further example of how unique they really are, check out last years 'Lil' Beethoven'. Find me anything else that manages to be a pop record and sound like that.

Ahhh, I do love the Sparks.

You heard Lil' Beethoven? I never hear Sparks get any love on this board, Kinetic mentioned 'Propaganda' (Which I listen to almost every day) but then fucked off.

Guest MissMattitude

You heard Lil' Beethoven? I never hear Sparks get any love on this board, Kinetic mentioned 'Propaganda' (Which I listen to almost every day) but then fucked off.

No I haven't and I am really struggling to actually download anything by them.

Guest Jar_of_Dirt

Jane's Addiction

Nine Inch Nails

Alexisonfire (well sorta...they're finally gettin noticed)

NIN? Underrated? Where the hell are you from, and why haven't anybody heard of them? NIN, if anything, is overrated. So many teenagers and younger adults (20's and early 30's) think NIN are so cool for being all weird and stuff, when in reality, they fucking suck. Kinda sad when Filter's first album is better than EVERYTHING NIN ever recorded, and Filter has become a bitch band...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Horsepussy, Reznor put together some decent stuff. Pretty Hate Machine and Broken both have quite a few catchy numbers on 'em. Ringfinger and Wish being a couple good examples. Earlier nin hearkens back a little bit to Foetus, too.

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

I've yet to find another Pissing Razors fan, but they have some of the greatest metal riffs I've ever heard. Unfortunately, their best is probably behind them. They're on their third lead singer now.

So many bands have tried to copy Fear Factory's sound and haven't even come close.

I also think Bad Religion gets swept under the rug. That is one intelligent band.

The Sparks actually have a little cult following in my town, which is how I was exposed to them. Bear in mind that this cult following is limited to a few apartments scattered throughout town, but those involved are rabid advocates of the band. And so considering that I'm pretty well-read on the subject of popular music and had never heard of them before moving here, I'd say they're pretty underrated.

I'll throw a vote in for The Kinks, who are easily one of my favorite bands and, as far as British invasion stuff goes, were easily the equals of the Beatles and Rolling Stones and SO much better than The Who. Their early singles are brilliant and Ray Davies developed into one of the great songwriters of all time around Face to Face. And while they're acknowledged from time to time (particularly in relation to Blur, who they obviously had a major influence on), they're really not as revered as they should be.

Guest MissMattitude
I'll throw a vote in for The Kinks, who are easily one of my favorite bands and, as far as British invasion stuff goes, were easily the equals of the Beatles and Rolling Stones and SO much better than The Who. Their early singles are brilliant and Ray Davies developed into one of the great songwriters of all time around Face to Face. And while they're acknowledged from time to time (particularly in relation to Blur, who they obviously had a major influence on), they're really not as revered as they should be.

Oh, I'm totally in love with The Kinks.

They were better than pretty much every other Sixties band.

Guest Jar_of_Dirt

The Kinks are definitly better than most of the british bands, and are equal to the Beatles, and Stones...

but to say they were better than the Who is outlandish.