TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MissMattitude

Most Underrated Bands.

Guest MissMattitude

After reading the post for 'Most overrated bands' I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought at the other end of the spectrum.

Personally, one band who I think is highly underrated (at least over here in the UK) is The Dandy Warhols. People don't even know who they are until you sing 'Bohemian Like you' to them.

Jeff Buckley is pretty underrated aswell in my opinion. And silverchair.

The Grass Roots. I love Temptation Eyes, great song. They had a sound very comparable to the Guess Who.

The Monkees are always written off as just a 'fake band.' But they have a lot of good songs and did write and play a lot of their own stuff from Headquarters on. Find the soundtrack to Head, listen to it and then try to write the Monkees off as being bubblegum crap.

I really like Badfinger and feel they have some good songs. Marshall Tucker Band are a good country rock band in the Allman Brothers vain.

I know there are some Blue Oyster Cult fans here on the boards, but I don't think they ever get the credit they deserve in the mainstream.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'd like to mention first of all how terrible Silverchair is, and how glad I am that everyone noticed their lack of talent, thus resulting in their nonexistence at the moment. Way to go, folks. No other band has quite captured the essence of snagging onto a hot trend, and trying to sneak by better than them. The most banal and asinine lyrics in the past decade that were attempted to be passed off as thoughtful...

Anyway, Acid Bath doesn't get nearly enough laurels piled upon them by the metal community, and more people need to hear King Crimson. Talk about talent and longevity..holy shit.

Guest MissMattitude
I'd like to mention first of all how terrible Silverchair is, and how glad I am that everyone noticed their lack of talent, thus resulting in their nonexistence at the moment. Way to go, folks. No other band has quite captured the essence of snagging onto a hot trend, and trying to sneak by better than them. The most banal and asinine lyrics in the past decade that were attempted to be passed off as thoughtful...

Anyway, Acid Bath doesn't get nearly enough laurels piled upon them by the metal community, and more people need to hear King Crimson. Talk about talent and longevity..holy shit.

Have you even listened to them. Their style has evolved so much over the four albums they have released.

You have to bear in mind that when 'Frogstomp' was released they were 14/15 years old. they were young and hungry for whatever they could get.

Their new album is absolutely amazing though, and they are awesome live.

Daniel is a great songwriter and singer aswell.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've heard that first album, and the followup, which was enough for me to decide I couldn't stand them. Unless they have completely and utterly changed their entire sound to something different, and replaced the band, and gotten a new producer, and...

Guest MissMattitude
I've heard that first album, and the followup, which was enough for me to decide I couldn't stand them. Unless they have completely and utterly changed their entire sound to something different, and replaced the band, and gotten a new producer, and...

If you were someone who had never heard them before the you wouldn't think that 'Frogstomp' and 'Diorama' were by the same person... trust me.

Its a lot more musical and colourful.

Jeff Buckley isn't underrated. I wouldn't call him overrated either, but anyone who knows about him seems like him quite a bit. I mean, it's hard not to be a fan: he put out one really great album while he was alive, and has had just a few similarly good things come out posthumously.

I think the Beastie Boys are underrated, by the majority of music listeners at least. Even though it was 17 years ago, the silly stuff on Licensed to Ill is what most people remember about them. Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head are infinitely clever both lyrically and musically, and their other albums ain't half bad either. A lot of people do recognize that they matured throughout their career, but I think they're always going to be remembered for "Fight For Your Right To Party."

I know there are some Blue Oyster Cult fans here on the boards, but I don't think they ever get the credit they deserve in the mainstream.

I got a fever. And the only prescription is more COWBELL.

Thin Lizzy is vastly underrated.

You can't mention BOC around here without someone making a cowbell referrence either. I think I'm going to make it a new drinking game.

I agree, Think Lizzy is underrated and overlooked.

I know Deacon is going to bitch slap me for saying this, but America is vastly under-rated.

*Restrains bitchslap*

Honestly, tell me why America is good. I've always found them to be third rate rip offs of Neil Young with poorly written songs and below average musicianship. Horse with No Name is very annoying and stupid. I can half stand Sister Golden Hair and Ventura highway, but the vocals still get him. So thin and whiny.

I actually GWAR is pretty underrated. Sure, they're mostly known for the fact that they're a comedic punk/metal band, and that their live show is amazing, but a lot of their songs are really, well...GREAT. Even the stuff off the later albums, when they went downhill, is still really fucking good.

Marilyn Manson takes a lot of shit for his image, and the fact that he appeals to a lot of idiots (or at least used to), but I still consider him a good songwriter and quite the showman.

Korn also suffers because of their fan base, but they're not that good anyway.

I like The Hives, but they're always getting lumped in and written off with those other three bands.

Twiztid is a great rap act totally overshadowed by the far inferior ICP.

I concur.

Also, Ryan Adams is tremendously underrated. As a songwriter, he is top-notch, and his vocals are extremely decent, refelecting the mood of the songs perfectly.

Guest ian.

blind melon. i downloaded a few tracks of theirs, thought they were good. bought their first album, was surprised how great they really were.

Guest two_tuff_toddy

I got a fever. And the only prescription is more COWBELL.

Thin Lizzy is vastly underrated.

That was a great fucking skit on SNL. One of my favorites ever probably.

Guest two_tuff_toddy
I'd say Megadeth is underrated. They're clumped in with Metallica and Slayer, but never get the recongnition it deserves.

Megadeth sucks major ass and need to die. I guess the members of the band are talented but there songs are just horrible. I'm sure I'm in the minority with that opinon though.

Old Metallica and Slayer are so much better than themits not even funny.