TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jimmy no nose

Michael Vick fractures fibula

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0816/1597552.html

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick fractured his right fibula and was taken off the field on a cart Saturday night during an exhibition game against Baltimore, ESPN has learned.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports that according to his sources, Vick is likely to be out at least six weeks with his fractured fibula.

Vick was chased out of the pocket on a third-down play late in the first quarter and was tackled by Adalius Thomas. Vick fell awkwardly on his right leg, and grabbed it even before he fell all the way to the ground.

Thomas, after briefly celebrating the tackle, came back over to check on Vick, and several of Vick's teammates also kneeled over him. When it was apparent that he was hurt, a hush came over the crowd at the Georgia Dome.

After he was looked at by the medical staff for about five minutes, Vick got up with some help and limped a couple of steps to the cart. He was wheeled to the locker room amid a standing ovation.

X-rays were taken, but the results weren't immediately known.

Vick got off to a rough start against the Ravens, getting sacked on the first play and throwing an interception on the next one. He finished 0-for-4, and rushed for 8 yards.

He made the Pro Bowl last season in his first full season as a starter and set three NFL records for rushing by a quarterback.

Guest Choken One

Looking at Madden...I don't think The cover of madden would be blamed...

Anyone else think they preseason should be cut to 2, 1, or 0 games?

Football's just so easy to get injured in. I hate that a key player in the season will miss time over an injury he got in a worthless game.

They oughta just put Madden back on the cover and spare any injuries...

"espn.com reports Monday Night Football host John Madden has suffered a major heart attack"

Hey...

::gets a petition for Madden to be on the cover of Madden 2004::

Anyone else think they preseason should be cut to 2, 1, or 0 games?

Football's just so easy to get injured in. I hate that a key player in the season will miss time over an injury he got in a worthless game.

Preseason should be two games at the most as players get plenty of work from training camp. Number one problem with preseason is it only REALLY ends up meaning something when a star player gets hurt.

Fox executives are crying tonight because the Falcons/Cowboys game in week 1 was going to be their featured game.

It might have been on PTI, but they had some football guy on talking about how useless the preseason was saying that 99% of the guys show up to training camp in the shape they need to be in and couple play a game that day.

Guest Choken One

and he has a understanding of wrestling as he always makes references to it

I mark when you goes "You Jabroni! You don't know anything! Listen to what I'm telling you"

The man could be Head Line Mania

Well you can count the Falcons out now. You knew it was coming though. We, in Philly, have dodged a bullet until last year. But a running QB will get hurt at some point.

And I don't buy the whole arguement about less preseason games. It is necessary to see what the lower rung guys are going to do against other teams. If a team believes in less preseason games then play your good guys less if at all and just throw the reserves out there. I do think that the teams that play 5 (I think teams in special preseason games do) games is too much. 4 is good, 3 would be fine. But one of those games usually gets devoted quite a bit to starters so you need a couple more games to see reserves.

Guest Vitamin X

YES~! TAKE THAT!!

The hated Falcons take the worst possible hit they could have, and Packer fans everywhere rejoice as our offense finally got back on track agaisnt the Browns on the same day.

And I came here the second I heard the news to post that the Madden Curse strikes again, only to be beat out by many others. Oh well. WHEEEEE!!!!

Yeah I almost posted about the Madden curse when I saw the headline. At least Vick hasn't fell victim to the Chunky Soup curse...that one tends to retire people (Terrell Davis). Now if Vick gets on Madden AND becomes the Chunky Soup spokesperson...I don't want to be around when that happens.

They should have about three preseason games. Just enough to get the rookies some playing time, new players to get accustomed to the team and to learn any new offensive/defensive systems. Other than that, preseason is just a nice way to lose key players for the season.

Errr that's probably because Blake isn't really a scrambling quarterback....I mean not every black qb is a scrambler. :D Warren Moon wasn't.

Guest Vitamin X

I forgot to also mention just because Vick is out doesn't mean the Falcons are done. Doug Johnson won a key road game against the Giants last year when Vick went out, but already we can see that Vick's style of playing isn't quite suitable for the NFL since it's apparently injury prone. Not to mention he's not a big guy like Daunte Culpepper is.

But regardless, the Falcons had improved in many more areas than just quarterback last season. As a matter of fact, it wasn't even Vick's scrambling that broke the Lambeau magic in the playoffs, it was the combination of a horrible Pack Run defense and a steady dose of Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett to expose that.

I mean on that team, you still have Peerless Price, Dunn/Duckett, a rising star TE in Crumpler, and a decent QB in Johnson. Vick arguably was the difference-maker between a championship team and a playoff team, but the Ravens won with Trent Dilfer and the Bucs won with Brad Johnson, didn't they? And both those teams have considerably less talent on offense (though much more on defense) than the Falcons have.

Well, at least they're not the Cardinals, Lions or Bears. I feel bad for those guys, as it looks like the Bengals might start turning things around this year, at least in my opinion.

Guest Vitamin X
Errr that's probably because Blake isn't really a scrambling quarterback....I mean not every black qb is a scrambler. :D Warren Moon wasn't.

And for that, he's one of the all-time greats.

But interestingly enough, most scrambling QBs are black from Cunningham to Vick...

Guest El Satanico

The guaranteed to start QB, RB and WR should play no more than 2 series per preseason game. The only exception would be a QB and WR who are still new to each other.

Preseason really only helps the backups and rookies.

Errr that's probably because Blake isn't really a scrambling quarterback....I mean not every black qb is a scrambler.  :D Warren Moon wasn't.

And for that, he's one of the all-time greats.

But interestingly enough, most scrambling QBs are black from Cunningham to Vick...

There is a funny... yet kindof racist joke in there somewhere..... but with how many oversensitive teenagers this board has........

Everyone is talking about the Madden curse now, but when I started the thread on it a few months ago, it got totally no sold.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...31774&hl=madden

Click on that bad boy to see who predicted Vick's injury first. That's right, ME BABY! Not like I'm happy about it or anything, because he's one of my favorite players.

I am psychic.