TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Seriously is there any Rock respect?

Ok so I'm watching this show on MTV about the VMA's and who's appearing there. And it just kind of pissed me off. As a hardcore rocker(metal and punk being my fav's)and hardcore hater of pop, rap, and r&b I like to see any kind of Rock act get it's due respect.

So I turn on this show and what do I see? It was advertising like 80 rap, pop, and r&b acts meanwhile only speaking of 2 rock entities. Metallica and Good Charlotte. Yeah...whatever. Seriously whatever happened to the respect for Rock n Roll? Why is MTV so up on this goo goo homie g boy band bullshit? I mean yeah fine there's a pop video award. There's a rap video award. There's an R&B video award. And yes there's a Rock video award. Meanwhile rock seems to stay in it's neat little category while the other 3 dominate every other categorey. What the fuck!?

Does this piss anyone else off? I mean I know I'm not overreacting b/c that's all I ever see on MTV is this bullshit. All the time. I'm lucky to see any rock on MTV and if I do it's overplayed pop rock BS.

I'm floored that Cash recieved six nominations, but places him behind Missy Elliot and Justin Timberlake for total nominations if that tell you anything. It's said that Cash is going out of his way to make the show with his failing health, so he better win something.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Johnny Cash will be the most bad ass person at those awards, the guy better win.

Guest Choken One
I'm floored that Cash recieved six nominations, but places him behind Missy Elliot and Justin Timberlake for total nominations if that tell you anything. It's said that Cash is going out of his way to make the show with his failing health, so he better win something.

Well...JT and Missy had more genres to be nominated in anyways

Rock/metal/punk isn't nominated too much because MTV, like WWE, is run by older men whose fingers are no longer on the pulse, but jammed up their ass.

Would YOU like a chocolate-covered pretzel?

Guest Ray

Wait......JOHNNY CASH is nominated?!

Shit, I haven't been paying attention to these things at all.

MTV hasn't been rock friendly in years.

I don't see much new rock that deserves awards anyway. ;)

Johnny Cash getting nominated kicks all sorts of ass.

He had better win. It's the least MTV can do for us.

If you don't like what they play on MTV, why do you still watch?

Because all the "kids" these days look to MTV as there source of what's good and what's hip. And they view Rap and all of that shit as this great form of music and think Rock is just a bunch of old guys screaming into a microphone. And MTV does nothing to help this.

If it makes you feel better, Damaramu, I'm a 16 year old kid but I don't like most of the stuff that is played on MTV. I, myself, like hip-hop, but I don't like most of the hip-hop shown on MTV, espeically 50 Cent. I HATE 50 SUCK!!! I'm mostly into old-school hip-hop like Public Enemy.

Even though I don't actually like most of the artists on MTV, I still watch it out of morbid curiousity...that and I'm interested in the artists the kids in my school will think are "cool" and "thugs" and shit like that. Plus, I like Avril Lavigne. I rather have Public Enemy than 50 Suck thank you very much. And, it's rare, but sometimes I actually listen to a song shown on that channel that I actually like. It happens a few rare occasions though.

That being said, I am rooting big time for Johnny Cash to win Best Video at the VMAs. Not only because I love "Hurt" but because I want 50 SUCK to lose.

I would like to keep on listening to Public Enemy and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 than listening to 50 Cent and watching whatever reality crap is shown on MTV.

Edited by Michael Joel Benoit

Guest El Satanico

Well even if MTV gave more attention to rock, the "rock rules fuck everything else" guys would still bitch.

So it's either bitch about MTV not giving rock enough attention OR bitch about MTV giving shitty rock too much attention.

Pick your poison sir

MTV hasn't been interested in the types of bands that will satify the hardcore rock fans...ever. Headbanger's Ball was the closest MTV came to caring about those fans and it still played shit like Firehouse.

you want it categorized here it goes...

Metal:

Metallica

Korn

Linkin Park

System of a Down

Deftones

Punk:

Good Charolete

Sum 41

Simple Plan

New Found Glory

Blink 182...

Rock

Lump a mix of both and add White Stripes

Guest Sturgis
Metal:

Metallica

Korn

Linkin Park

System of a Down

Deftones

Change the name rock and you got it. NEVER CALL LINKIN PARK METAL EVER AGAIN OR I WILL KILL YOU

Don't blame us, blame MTV.

Besides, the hot genre's of music right now are Pop, RnB, Rap, and Pop-Rock.

Metal hasn't been hot on MTV in god knows how many years.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Never, that's when.

MTV is not rock friendly because rock music no longer exists on TV or the radio. I'll give exceptions to Tool, and maybe Radiohead if I'm feeling nice, but that's about it.

Rock/metal/punk isn't nominated too much because MTV, like WWE, is run by older men whose fingers are no longer on the pulse, but jammed up their ass.

Would YOU like a chocolate-covered pretzel?

You would think if MTV was run by older men they would play more rock/metal/punk since they probably grew up on it. I doubt they actually listen to rap and todays version of "R&B."

I think it all comes down to business. Most young kids want to look at all the pretty pop stars and the over the top antics and glam (bling bling) of the rappers.

Unless you have an over produced gimmick and/or image like pop punk and rap/rockers (Limp Bizkit) young kids don't want to look at a bunch of ugly rockers who care more about instrumentation then image.