TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

France: Hamas, Islamic Jihad not terror groups

Saw this on another board:

http://www.albawaba.com/news/index.php3?si...lang=e&dir=news

France to Israel: No evidence Hamas, Islamic Jihad are ''terror groups''

25-08-2003

France expressed objections to placing Hamas and Islamic Jihad on the European Union(EU)'s list of "terror organizations", according to an Israeli report on Monday.

Israel's Yediot Aharonot website reported that diplomatic advisor to French President Jacques Chirac, Maurice Gourdault-Montagne, told the Israeli ambassador in France, Nissim Zvilli, during a weekend meeting, that there is no evidence that these two organizations are "terror groups."

"If we find that Hamas and Islamic Jihad are indeed terror groups opposed to peace, we may have to change the EU's stand," Gordo conveyed. "However, we mustn't limit ourselves to one, clear cut, position."

The meeting between Zvilli and Gordo, said to be Chirac's right hand man, took place in the framework of Israeli lobbying efforts to include the two Palestinian groups in the EU "terror list".

Some two months ago, the EU added the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestinian to its list, enabling European countries to freeze these groups' assets, and impose other sanctions on them.

France, according to Gordo, is opposed to placing both Hamas and Islamic Jihad on the EU list, and believes Israel should deal with its "terror threats" through political, rather than military, channels.

In addition, with regards to Yasser Arafat's status, the French, according to the report, refused to accept the United States' and Israel's position. When Arafat was discussed in the meeting between Zvilli and the French official, the latter expressed the "legitimacy" of Arafat as opposed to the lack of it regarding the Palestinian Premier, Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen).

In the meantime, Israeli Foreign Ministry officials expressed anger and outrage at the French stance regarding the two palestinian groups. "Such an attitude is one of criminal negligence. It refuses to assume responsibility over the war against terror and thus legitimizes - terrorism." (Albawaba.com)

Oh, those wacky French.

"If we find that Hamas and Islamic Jihad are indeed terror groups opposed to peace" - LOL!

Well, be fair. The DGSE and the Surete are still waiting for confirmation that the Schutzstaffel was a terrorist organisation; their resources must be overstretched. They've also got that backlog of a few million stormtrooper boots to polish. And really, what's so bad about Hamas and Islamic Jihad? I mean, they're just killing Jews, right?

Guest JMA
France should just get back to counting its heatstroked thousands of elderly corpses.

It wasn't just the elderly. And I don't think it's right to make light of it. France clearly needs better people in its goverment.

Guest MikeSC
France should just get back to counting its heatstroked thousands of elderly corpses.

And it's statements like that which make me question why anyone takes you seriously.

The better question is why anybody takes FRANCE seriously.

-=Mike

..."Why, Herr Hitler, can we give you some wine while we surrender? How about escargot?"

Guest JMA

-=Mike

..."Why, Herr Hitler, can we give you some wine while we surrender? How about escargot?"

That was tasteless. France helped quite a lot during OUR revolutionary war and WWI.

-=Mike

That was tasteless. France helped quite a lot during OUR revolutionary war and WWI.

They helped us during the Revolution, then tried to extort money from us for their support later. They've done one thing for us.

We helped them out in World War I. If you want to thank someone, thank Belgium for sacrificing themselves to slow the Germans. The French hardly deserve praise there.

And hey, we've rebuilt their country twice in the last hundred years, JMA, yet they most of their citizenry doesn't see fit to give us any respect. Why should we?

Guest JMA
They helped us during the Revolution, then tried to extort money from us for their support later. They've done one thing for us.

We helped them out in World War I. If you want to thank someone, thank Belgium for sacrificing themselves to slow the Germans. The French hardly deserve praise there.

And hey, we've rebuilt their country twice in the last hundred years, JMA, yet they most of their citizenry doesn't see fit to give us any respect. Why should we?

What about all the trench warfare they did in WWI?

Guest JMA

And frankly, France wouldn't have stood a chance in hell if they did fight Germany. That would have added an even larger number of innocent deaths in WWII.

Guest JMA

Sorry to post three times in a row but... if the US wants to get rid of Hamas we should just do it. I'm sure Israel would support this and would help. We don't need to go to the UN. IMO, the only use the UN has is during global problems (like World Wars or plagues that affect many countries).

And it's statements like that which make me question why anyone takes you seriously.

-=Mike

I just don't think he likes my new sig, Mike.

Well, I never did say I had taste, did I.

I will spare you some of the delectable dead Frenchman jokes I just heard recently.

As for WWI, France did fight valiantly for MOST of the war. They deserve our compassion in that conflict, as it was their country which became the Western Front, and they lost around a million men in the war, and an untold number of others on the homefront due to the disease and malnutrition which affected the populace once the nation mobilised.

However, in 1917 the French army mutinied (rathe quietly), and although they were able to pull themselves together somewhat at the end of the war, after their "collapse" they were never the same again. Had it not been for the British, whose willingness to sacrifice thousands upon thousands of their own lives to finish the war, or us Americans, who literally turned the tide of the war with MILLIONS of troops added to the conflict, France would have fallen. But they were never the same after 1917, and it shows.

And frankly, France wouldn't have stood a chance in hell if they did fight Germany. That would have added an even larger number of innocent deaths in WWII.

You are kidding, right? If France had invaded Germany right as they hit Poland, Hitler had NO TROOPS THERE! They could have stopped the war right there, but the French High Command wouldn't do it.

And you are a moron to say "If France had fought they would have gotten slaughtered". They did fight. Their troops weren't bad, their commanders were just stupid as fuck to invest in antiquated strategies like the Maginot Line. They and the Brits probably could have done reasonably well against the Germans had it not been for their idiotic commanders not knowing how to use armor correctly.

What about all the trench warfare they did in WWI?

Remind me why in the hell we had to get involved? Europe screwed itself, and it was out of our own good will that we decided to commit troops there. France may have played a major part in that war, and it's commendable, but it wouldn't have effected us either way. We don't need to thank them for anything in that war, they should thank US.

Sorry to post three times in a row but... if the US wants to get rid of Hamas we should just do it. I'm sure Israel would support this and would help. We don't need to go to the UN. IMO, the only use the UN has is during global problems (like World Wars or plagues that affect many countries).

But wait! Didn't we absolutely need their permission to go into Iraq? Or Kosovo? I could have sworn that half this board was claiming this not long ago...

What the hell is with you and defending France, JMA? Are you a native or something? Honestly, what the hell do they really do that is so important?

Guest JMA
What the hell is with you and defending France, JMA? Are you a native or something? Honestly, what the hell do they really do that is so important?

No, I just don't see why they get so much hate. Especially for stuff that happened so long ago.

But wait! Didn't we absolutely need their permission to go into Iraq? Or Kosovo? I could have sworn that half this board was claiming this not long ago...

Not me. I wanted the US to go into Saudi Arabia first.

No, I just don't see why they get so much hate. Especially for stuff that happened so long ago.

JMA, they are generally arrogant asses to us all the time. Your only really valid example was from 200 years ago and after a few governmental switches, which was a while back as well. We've done nothing but help them out around here and they treat us like pricks. Why should we respect them?

EDIT: Ah yes, you are right. I could have sworn you were a UN boy, though. Well, sorry then.

Guest JMA
Ah yes, you are right. I could have sworn you were a UN boy, though. Well, sorry then.

Nope. I thought Saudi Arabia should be taken out first. Then Iraq. Personally, I think every theocracy in the Middle East should be torn down, forcibly if needed.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Wow, darned near approaches us bailing them out of WW II, propping up their entire economy in the 50's, etc.

France is the one claim Hamas is not a terrorist group.

I wonder if we should have said that Algerians who bombed places weren't terrorists.

-=Mike --- the Viet Cong weren't terrorists either, probably.

Guest JMA
JMA, they are generally arrogant asses to us all the time. Your only really valid example was from 200 years ago and after a few governmental switches, which was a while back as well. We've done nothing but help them out around here and they treat us like pricks. Why should we respect them?

Arrogant asses, eh? Then why would they give us the Statue of Liberty? Don't you think they could've done that as a THANKS for all our help? Does that count for nothing? They did give us the biggest symbol of America.

Guest JMA
I will spare you some of the delectable dead Frenchman jokes I just heard recently.

I fail to see how innocent people dying is funny. Maybe I just don't get the joke.

Arrogant asses, eh? Then why would they give us the Statue of Liberty? Don't you think they could've done that as a THANKS for all our help? Does that count for nothing? They did give us the biggest symbol of America.

How long ago? We've rebuilt their country twice, JMA, in the last hundred years. That doesn't account for anything either?

Guest JMA
How long ago? We've rebuilt their country twice, JMA, in the last hundred years. That doesn't account for anything either?

Of course it matters. But with France it seems everyone ignores the good stuff they do and focuses on the bad.

Guest Cerebus

yeah blah blah. I'm not sure I trust this site as one of "record" so if I see something by a more trustworthy site I'll pass judgement.

Guest MikeSC

Of course it matters. But with France it seems everyone ignores the good stuff they do and focuses on the bad.

France has done little since de Gaulle outside of trying to simply annoy the U.S.

Heck, being anti-U.S is one of the few things Frenchmen can agree on.

-=Mike

Guest JMA
France has done little since de Gaulle outside of trying to simply annoy the U.S.

-=Mike

Just because you think every French citizen hates America doesn't make it so. There are plenty of fine citizens from France. Hell, I'd hate to be judged on the stereotypes the rest of the world has about America and Americans.

Ironic, because that's what they do to US.

No suprise here. There is a huge muslim population in France and they hold a lot of influence over the government which leads to their generally anti-semetic views on things.

Guest JMA
Ironic, because that's what they do to US.

Two wrongs don't make a right supposedly. Although, I suppose that's untrue in the case of the pedophile priest who was murdered.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Just because you think every French citizen hates America doesn't make it so. There are plenty of fine citizens from France. Hell, I'd hate to be judged on the stereotypes the rest of the world has about America and Americans.

We are judged by it --- and you really need to tone down the uber-sympathy bit.

The French, by and large, do not like us. Their gov't does not like us --- nor have they in a long time.

-=Mike