TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Baseball Talk

Wait a second... am I the only who missed the conversation about this?

(As a "rabid" Astros fan) What is everyone's problem with the Houston Astros? I will be the first one to admit that the Cubs have a great team. I will be the first to admit that Houston lacks starting pitching and consistency from half of their bullpen, but it seems like no one, NO ONE believes the 'Stros will or can pull it out in the Central.

Granted, they have the toughest schedule for the rest of the season, but they have been known to pull it out in September and hit the playoffs before they choke the first round of the playoffs. That's the key. The choke comes DURING the playoffs, not BEFORE.

I would love to see the Cubbies win the wildcard, but c'mon, the Cubs as a whole can be VERY inconsistent at times.

Damnit people, AGREE WITH ME!

Guest Smell the ratings!!!
I will be the first one to admit that the Cubs have a great team.

:lol:

Guest Ghettoman

Might seem dumb but I got a question...

In terms of play off brackets, who does the wild card play in the first round? How do they determine who plays who?

Guest Ghettoman

So in this case that means no Bosox/Yankees round 1 battle? Good, what better ALCS than that.

And does anyone else disagree with the idea that Loaiza should be CY Young over Hallady because his team is winning? What more can you do than win the games you play? I just don't get that....

So in this case that means no Bosox/Yankees round 1 battle? Good, what better ALCS than that.

And does anyone else disagree with the idea that Loaiza should be CY Young over Hallady because his team is winning? What more can you do than win the games you play? I just don't get that....

I would say pretty much everyone does at this point. Or at least everyone with a clue. Halladay's had a clearly better year. It's like Clemens winning those two Cys with the Blue Jays...no one seriously considered anyone else for the award, did they?

I think one thing you've got to look at is what teams they've pitched against. Halladay's had to face the Yankees and Red Sox 10 or 11 times all year, while Loaiza's faced Detroit 5 times, I think.

I would say pretty much everyone does at this point. Or at least everyone with a clue.

I wouldn't quite go that far.

Loaiza: 19-7 2.73 ERA 204.2 IP

Halladay: 20-6 3.30 ERA 243 IP

I would vote Halladay because of the aforementioned competition he faces and the extra 40 innings. But I don't think it would be that far fetched, if the Sox stay in the hunt or not, that Loaiza (who has a better WHIP and K/IP) gets it.

Last time I checked Loaiza had more quality starts and ranked higher than Halladay in Wins when his team scores less than 3 runs.

Let's look at those starts:

QUALITY STARTS FOR LOAIZA:

Detroit (6...SIX!!)

Minnesota (3)

Kansas City (2)

Baltimore (2)

Oakland (2)

Tampa Bay (2)

Toronto

Arizona

Los Angeles

Boston

Texas

Anaheim

NY Yankees

NON-QUALITY STARTS:

Seattle

San Diego

Chicago Cubs

Cleveland (start before last)

Minnesota (last start)

And for Halladay:

QUALITY STARTS:

Boston (3)

NY Yankees (3)

Baltimore (2)

Detroit (2)

Tampa Bay (2)

Kansas City (2)

Minnesota

Anaheim

Chicago WS

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Montreal

Seattle

Oakland

NON-QUALITY STARTS:

NY Yankees (2; 1 was 1/3 of an inning short)

Boston (3)

Texas (2)

Montreal

Chicago WS

Anaheim

Oakland

A LOT more quality starts against great offensive teams (six - nearly seven - against the Red Sox and Yankees alone) for Halladay. In fact, 13 of Halladay's 33 starts came against the other 3 teams in the top 4 in runs scored in the AL (NY, Boston and Texas - Toronto is the fourth), and 20 of 33 against teams in the top half in either league. Loaiza has just ten. Hell, with six starts against the freaking Tigers, plus starts against the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Angels and Indians, I'd be shocked if he DIDN'T have more quality starts.

As for wins when their teams score less than 3 runs...how many times does Toronto score less than three runs versus Chicago? Another misleading stat.

Time for the Nelson Muntz laugh.

I had a thought while at work. Thanks to the impending hurricane, there's a chance that Thursday's game might get rained out. Should that happen, the teams would have to make up the game the day after the season, assuming the game effects the playoffs.

Bah...the Canadian bias on Halladay! ;)

Okay time to show my bias...where is the Keith Foulke love? Not that I want him to win because then the A's definently won't be able to sign him. I can't imagine though he won't get some first place votes.

Bah...the Canadian bias on Halladay! ;)

Okay time to show my bias...where is the Keith Foulke love? Not that I want him to win because then the A's definently won't be able to sign him. I can't imagine though he won't get some first place votes.

Foulke has had a great year. However he has blown 5 saves, which isn't horrible. It's just a closer has to be dominate (Eck, Gagne if he win Cy Young).

Happy Night.

Loiaza's chances are slipping. If he was sick before the game than he shouldn't of started. Garland was fully rested, and it Loaiza might of needed an extra days rest.

AL MVP: Who is your choice?

It's too bad too.

Hits 182

2B 46

3B 1

HR 31

RBI 102

BB 49

K 71

SB 2

CS 3

OBP .366

SLG .551

AVG .311

Not bad for a 26 year old three year veteran.

Aubrey Huff is indeed a good hitter, but there are a few problems. First, there are players clearly better by the raw stats, and second, he suffers from playing at DH alot. (Or badly at thrid....I don't have the position data handy).

Right Field a lot lately, but he has DH'ed and done 1B.

If he doesn't win it this year (which he probably won't), he's a future MVP for sure.

They did last year. People forget that Alex finished 2nd in the voting.

He still didn't win though. The writers have shown in the last dozen years that winning is crucial for an MVP winner. That's the winner. That says nothing about 2nd, or 3rd or anywhere else in the voting.

Its funny because my uncle (who is a diehard Philly sports fan) thinks the Phillies will win all six against the Marlins, then lose the six against the Reds & Braves and somehow end up in a one game playoff against the Marlins.

Al your support of A-Rod this year is odd because Carlos Delgado is having the better year and Manny Ramirez (who IS on a winning team) leads the A.L. in ops. Fact is A-Rod numbers are slightly down this year so if he doesn't win it last year he certainly shouldn't win it this year. I'm starting to get a vibe though since no one has broken out like Tejada did last year that A-Rod might get a sympathy MVP this year.