TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smark-Raving Mad

ESPN says PNC Park is the best

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

Just beat out Pac Bell.

I thought they might take off points for the Pirates being a minor league team, but I was wrong. I haven't been to many major league stadiums, but this one is by far the best one I've been to.

Anyone agree?

Guest Choken One

The Toilet Bowl known as Riverfront was better...

Too bad no one gets to "enjoy" pnc...

Camden Yards #3, should be #1 but what the hell, Im biased.

Camden Yards set the standard for all of the retro parks (Jacobs Field, Ballpark at Arlington, Coors Field, Turner Field, PAC Bell, Detroits Stadium, PNC Park, etc.)

the Fun Stuff to do should have been given a half a point more since you can easily visit the Babe Ruth Museum/Birthplace before or after the game.

And to hell with him for not liking "Thank God Im a Country Boy" during the 7th inning stretch. Its tradition in Baltimore, although I think John Denver cursed the O's when he died.

I kind of disliked how he gave 'extra points' to the Metrodome for stuff like Super Bowls, concerts, Final Four games, etc., since it's supposed to be objectively telling you which ballpark is a better place to watch a game.

The Big O got shafted, as per usual, too. I'm not saying it should have been higher up in the ratings, just that it should have received a few more points (if you're going to ignore the baseball-coloured roof in Minnesota, you can't dock points for the roof in Montreal, which at least isn't the same colour as a ball).

I think the problem was Jim Caple had too many warm fuzzies about the Metrodome that he couldn't rate it objectively. Wow, so they had a Super Bowl there. What does that have to do with baseball? They had the freakin' Olympics in Montreal, not to mention 4 or 5 Grey Cup games (some of which drew the biggest crowds in CFL history) and he ignored that.

Too bad the Pirates are a joke of a team and the stadium is named after one of the most evil institutions known to man.

Otherwise I'm sure it's a great place to take the family -- after you mortgage the house in order to pay for everything. I'll never go there based on principle. After taxpayers told city "leaders" that they didn't want to build new stadiums they did anyway under the promise that it will revive the region.

Now the city's broke...

I agree with his statement on the SkyDome saying that, it was the rich kid on the block, and everyone wanted to have it, until they got newer and better things.

SkyDome was probably the original for the newer stadiums

Well, they want all the bells and whistles that SkyDome has, but they also want the charm of the 'old-time' ballparks, which SkyDome most definitely does not possess.

Personally, I like Olympic Stadium more than SkyDome, it has more character.

I'm glad he was nice to Pro Player Stadium. A very underrated ballpark.

And he was dead-on about Fenway too. I sat in the rightfield grandstand when I went a few times, and couldn't see a goddamn thing until the 6th inning.

The Metrodome is as just much of a shithole as Stade Olympique

Ain't that the truth.

SkyDome is a decent place to watch the game when the roof is open. Seeing the CN Tower rising beside SkyDome is a great view.

Of course, when it's closed then it sucks about as much as the other domed baseball stadiums. It's amazing how all that concrete sucks the life right out of you.

Just read the PNC review. A few thoughts:

"The Pirates re-signed Andy Van Slyke instead of Barry Bonds."

There was no way Bonds was ever going to stay a Pirate, and the people here loved Van Slyke, who was a good player until he got hurt in St. Louis.

"The Pirates have this indefensible policy where they slap a $2.75 charge on every ticket purchased over the phone or the Internet. That's not a TicketMaster charge, that's the Pirates' charge if you buy the ticket through them (there is no charge if you buy the ticket at the stadium). So that $14 bleacher ticket is really $16.75."

I guess they call it the Ticket-Purchase-Privilege-Fee, to go along with the county's Occupational-Privilege-Tax.

"Bathrooms: Clean, plentiful and the lines were so short it was as if they were showing "Gigli" inside."

That's because nobody goes to the games.

"Scoreboard: The main scoreboard is just fine but the out-of-town scoreboard is what really makes this spectacular. In addition to showing you the score, inning and pitchers for each game, it also shows you how many outs and how many runners are on base and where they are. This is the next best thing to having Harold Reynolds, Peter Gammons and Bobby V updating you from the wall."

Well, you gotta have distractions from the actual play that's going on the field in front of you.

Ahh, PNC Park, the best stadium tax money can buy...

I love PNC Park. I haven't been to a lot of stadiums, but it's by far the best I've been too. A friend of mine is a huge Reds fan and kept saying that Great America was going to blow PNC out of the water. Once he went, he couldn't honestly say it did. It torqued him off.

As a side note, I've been to the implosions of Riverfront and Three Rivers and I hope to go to the one for the Vet. I should have t-shirts made.

As a side note, I've been to the implosions of Riverfront and Three Rivers and I hope to go to the one for the Vet. I should have t-shirts made.

"I saw 3 stadiums imploded and all I got was this fricking T-shirt"

"I saw 3 stadiums imploded and all I got was this fricking T-shirt"

"I've went to three implosions and all I got was a cough from the dust"

Actually, I think I heard that they can't blow up the Vet since there are subways connected to it. They'll have to demolish it the old fashioned way.

Yep, they gotta go with the old wrecking ball.

I'd really like to go to Pac Bell at least once. It really looks like a nice place to watch a game.

I'm kind of surprised Fenway was rated high. The new ownership has really made the place look respectable again, I guess.

I wish I still lived up in Massachusetts so that I could try to get a seat on top of the Monster.

I've only been on the field once, when my all-star team played a game on the field, but I played third base. Of all the games that I didn't end up in left field! :(

Regarding Fenway, what do you think about those seats atop the Green Monster? It looks different, but doesn't bother me...

One of the best ideas the new ownership has implemented. It actually improves the look of the park IMO and they sell right out, no matter who is playing. It seems they are making the best of a crappy situation (having pretty much no chance in hell of getting a brand new park anythime soon)

And for those who bitch about the Monster being plastered with ads: look at pictures of it from the 50s. It's not unusual.

Guest Crazy Dan

My voter goes to Pac Bell. Mainly because it is very sweet park and also because I am a huge Giants fan.

I saw a segment on FAUX NEWS LOL 2003 where they said that those extra seats will make $1-2 million a season and already have a long waiting list.

I'm just waiting for the first lush to fall trying to catch a ball...

If you're willing to spend $50.00+ on a baseball ticket, you can get tickets for most games (e.g. good luck getting tickets to a Yankees game). You just need to get them through a ticket broker. So, the waiting list isn't an issue.

And it'd be awfully difficult to fall over the wall. The wall is like chest high, so you'd literally need to jump, and jump pretty high, to get enough elevation to fall over the fence. That's not too say that some drunk won't find a way to climb over, but it wouldn't be an accidental fall.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...ST&f=18&t=40724

Take note of this paragraph:

"Monday's lawsuit mentions one legal action brought by a Wisconsin adult who became paralyzed after diving onto the slide while intoxicated. The plaintiff in that case was awarded $12.3 million in damages, according to Monday's lawsuit."

Oh, there will be a My-husband-fell-from-the-Green-Monster lawsuit.

<<<Turns on Yoda voice>>>

There will be...