TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silence

Something I heard on my local news yesterday...

The news yesterday talked about KaZaA being one of the file sharing programs that people would get sued over now if they downloaded anymore music after the possible law gets put into effect. Does anyone know if it was just referring to the Sharman Networks KaZaA (which I no longer have), or is it also KaZaA Lite? I was just wondering so I hopefully won't get sued.

It would refer to any filesharing software that you are downloading copyrighted material from IF you are downloading copyrighted material.

Me and you could swap sound files of each other farting all we want and wouldn't get in trouble but if we swap St. Anger by Metallica then you can be sued.

But if both of you own the Metallica album and yours has a scratch on it and you want track 2 again, you can download it as it is a legal backup to something you already own. I say download shit you own just to fuck with the RIAA.

Kazaa lite will get you in trouble TODAY. You think we are only shutting down Kazaa users?

Well, last night, after I'd finished downloading a song, I immediately deleted it, so will I still be in trouble or not with the RIAA with KaZaA Lite?

theyre going after super-nodes

people who allow alot of files to be downloaded from them

so if youre downloading but not sharing, youre probably fine

So I have to stop all uploaders on KaZaA Lite now from downloading any of my files or I'll be in trouble?

Guest stardust
theyre going after super-nodes

people who allow alot of files to be downloaded from them

so if youre downloading but not sharing, youre probably fine

So I have to stop all uploaders on KaZaA Lite now from downloading any of my files or I'll be in trouble?

Possibly. Just move all of your music files and stuff out of your shared folder to another folder, which people cannot access in order to upload. All you'll be doing is downloading and no one will be uploading from you.

Guest TheGame2705

Well the problem is, if everyone stops sharing, Kazaa dies and that's what they want. You'd think some people would be smarter about this sort of stuff.

Yes. Not to sound like a lawyer here, but the issue isn't with file-sharing programs themselves, although it is a big part of it, it is with copyrighted material being shared across those systems.

So yes, if you have downloaded or shared any copyrighted songs (anything that isn't public domain) across any filesharing system, you have the potential to be sued for it, because you have broken the law as it is written now.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is right, I'm just saying what the law says...

K-Lite runs on the Sherman Net so, yes you would get in trouble for using it. I think all P2Ps that use the Sherman Net will get you in trouble as it would include Imesh, Grokester, Kazaa.

Guest The Old Me

I'm not sure that they're targeting all networks yet. I know you're getting sued for the material, but I think they are only browsing Kazaa users from what I've heard.

Ok. so what do you do if, like me, you are downloading songs from a particular band that you like, but the CD is out of print? Because that's what I'm doing for a friend of mine- downlaoding Evanescence's old Cd's to burn, since you can only find "Origin" on Ebay for around $200. But I also plan to buy some stuff off of their website, so I don't feel like I'm stealing.

So, if the RIAA sues me, and I point out these facts, who do you think would win in court?