TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dmann2000

What would you consider to be..

Guest Dmann2000

Usually when the best RAW's are discussed, 4/21/97 and 1/4/99 come up a lot.

But what about the WWF/E's old flagship show, Saturday Night's Main Event?

For a first candidate I'd nominate 10/87- The Meeting of the Megapowers.

Guest Choken One

The best SNME was in 1992...This was the card

WWF I-C Champ Roddy Piper pinned The Mountie (3:24).

Hulk Hogan & Sid Justice beat Ric Flair & The Undertaker (11:09) via DQ.

Sgt Slaughter & Jim Duggan beat The Beverly Brothers (2:37) when Duggan pinned Blake.

Randy Savage pinned Jake Roberts (5:25).

The savage/Roberts though short was INSANE and the Main event tag match was Historic...

Guest Dmann2000

Well what about 3/88?

Hogan vs Race (table breaking)

Savage vs DiBiase (w/out having wrestled 5 matches combined)

Valentine vs Beefcake

Guest Dmann2000

I've got a dozen of them myself

10/86

10/87

11/87

1/88

3/88

10/88

5/89

7/89

10/89

11/89

and the 2 Main Event's

2/88

2/89

Guest Dmann2000
It's FOX.

Al Bundy himself introduced the last episode on 11/14/92.

OMG if anyone can upload that intro I'd love to see it-

Cawthorn, is the intro anything special?

It's him sitting on his couch with the dog, hand stuffed down his pants, getting ready to enjoy the show. I think he makes mention of Bulldog and the Ultimate Maniacs.

Guest Dmann2000

Oh, then I have 9/86, not 10/86, cause it has those 2 matches plus Steamboat vs Roberts.

I also have Savage vs Roberts from 11/86, heel vs heel IC title match.

I would have to nominate that last SNME just because I was such a huge HBK mark back then, and the title changes on TV didn't happen too much, plus my other favorite wrestler at the time (Bret Hart) had that epic "first title defense" against Papa Shango.

Top 3:

1. 10/86 - Dream Team/Bulldogs 2/3 Falls, Hogan/Orndorff, Piper helping Hogan, Roberts/Steamboat blow off

2. 11/89 - Rockers/Busters 2/3 Falls(last match ever for the Busters as a team), Warrior/Andre(huge back then), Hogan jobbign to Genius, Perfect destorying the WWF belt

3. 3/88 - Hogan/Race, Savage/DiBiase

The best SNME was in 1992...This was the card

WWF I-C Champ Roddy Piper pinned The Mountie (3:24).

Hulk Hogan & Sid Justice beat Ric Flair & The Undertaker (11:09) via DQ.

Sgt Slaughter & Jim Duggan beat The Beverly Brothers (2:37) when Duggan pinned Blake.

Randy Savage pinned Jake Roberts (5:25).

The savage/Roberts though short was INSANE and the Main event tag match was Historic... ).

For some reason, I was a wee lad at the time, I only got to see the two above matches. And since, it was the only SNME show I ever saw in my life, it gets my vote for best edition. Plus, it was remarkable to see Sid do his heel turn by just ditching Hogan to get beat down by Flair and Undertaker.

The only one I ever got to see was the last one on FOX. I was just getting into wrestling then, so I didn't quite understand everything that was happening but I was surprised that Michaels won the title from the Bulldog. I also remember at the end of the show when Bobby Heenan announced that the Ultimate Maniacs wouldn't be teaming together at the Survivor Series, that was pretty surprising too.

The last one was the first I saw as it aired; I got into the WWF earlier that year.

Bulldog / Michaels pissed me off royally as I was a big Davey Boy fan - he and Bret were my two faves.

Guest Boo_Bradley

I like May 89's with Savage/Niedhart Hogan/Bossman Demolition/Busters Duggan/Rude and Snuka/Zuhkov

The SNME that sticks out most in my mind is when Jake the Snake put his python on Andre the Giant, I also think that Hart Foundation lost to Demolition in a 2/3 falls match.

11/89 was classic.

Hogan - Genius

Rockers - Arn/Tully (2/3 falls)

Andre - Warrior

Dusty - Bossman (Sapphire debuts)

I was in MARK heaven...

Was that where Hennig steals the title and smashes the hell out of it?

Guest Plushy Al Logan

I only saw three of them, the one after WM 6, and the two in 1992. For some reason I enjoyed the one after WM 6 the most.

I saw most of them and made a point of staying up late to watch them. I don't remember and of the matches, but for some reason I remember one shown from Texas. Vince and Jesse are on horseback and dressed like cowboys; also I think the main event was Hogan vs Hennig.

Vince: "With that outfit you have on you look like Gail Evans."

Ventura: "I look just like John Wayne: Perfection! Like Mr. Perfect"

I still mark for that segment and would love to get it.

While I don't think overall it was the best SNME October 87 had Savage vs. Bret Hart in a really good follow up to the Mega-Powers angle/Honkey Tonk Man angle from the Sept before. The match was great, with some great selling by Savage, who took an awesome bump to the guts from the megaphone after jumping off the top to the outside. Plus, it was the first time I think Bret got featured prominantly in a one on one match. I took notice of Bret right about that time, as Savage, Vince, and Jesse all worked wonders in getting Bret over a a serious singles threat to the more established Macho Man.

I saw most of them and made a point of staying up late to watch them. I don't remember and of the matches, but for some reason I remember one shown from Texas. Vince and Jesse are on horseback and dressed like cowboys; also I think the main event was Hogan vs Hennig.

Vince: "With that outfit you have on you look like Gail Evans."

Ventura: "I look just like John Wayne: Perfection! Like Mr. Perfect"

I still mark for that segment and would love to get it.

That would be the edition that followed Wrestlemania VI. That can actually be found around the file-sharing sites, as I had it on my computer for the longest time.

I only got to see the two editions on FOX, but was able to see some of the earlier ones thanks to videos later on. I can't really pick a best one, since I'm only really clear on the two ones I saw when they first aired, but I always thought it was cool how a big tag match would be featured on almost every edition of SNME. It'd always be some match for the titles or some 2/3 falls match and they always ended up being great.

I remember watching the SNME where Sid turned on Hogan and being quite surprised. The other thing I remember about that day was being at Toys 'R' Us earlier in the day and buying the Natural Disaters Hasbro figures and the cashier talking about SNME.