TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Super Pissed Smark

Rock's not a movie star yet

Guest EternallyLazy
Actually, Spider-Man did $114, not 30-50. Spider-Man wipes his ass with what The Rock grosses! $10 million would've been a total fucking disaster.

I meant that some people recently have been lead to believe that a movie must make $30+ million on opening weekend to be a success, and that is complete bullshit. Lets give it another week shall we? I may be wrong. Rundown may turn out to be a complete disaster, but it's ridiculously ignorant to say "OH MY GOD RUNDOWN ONLY MADE 20 MILLION OVER THE WEEKEND! DISASTER! THE ROCK IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE!!!"

Guest EternallyLazy

oh and even though this has nothing to do with the topic... Spiderman sucked and the dvd isn't even worthy to be urinated on by me

Guest Super Pissed Smark
Once Upon a time in mexico is a hit because of Johnny Depp who happens to be an incredibly hot act right now with the amazing success of Pirates.

Agreed. OUATIM is all on Depp and he deserves it.

I think it's a little early to start claiming the Rundown and the Rock a failure. Infact, it's pretty fucking stupid. Even if the rundown is a failure, so what? Word is spreading that the Rock is turning out to be pretty damn good, and sooner or later the non wrestling fans will accept that.

I never used the word failure. All I said was disappointment. It's a disappointing opening for a guy who was supposed to be moving towards doing the numbers that Arnold and Sly were doing back in their heyday. Actually, we know he's not going to do T3 numbers here, but what was the gross for Spy Kids 3-D? Damn, Rock may not even be doing the numbers Arnold and Sly are doing today. :D

Guest Super Pissed Smark
I meant that some people recently have been lead to believe that a movie must make $30+ million on opening weekend to be a success, and that is complete bullshit

No it's not. Nobody's been lead to believe that, they've just looked at current box office trends and noticed that films are performing differently these days. Used to be that if you had a crazy $60 million dollar opening weekend you'd be on your way to $200+. Hulk didn't make any where near 200+. Very few films have legs any more. Pirates and Nemo were the only films of the summer to really hold at the box-office and Rundown is unlikely to duplicate that.

Rundown may turn out to be a complete disaster, but it's ridiculously ignorant to say

No it won't. With video and tv it will eventually make its' money back and turn a profit, but not as much as the $85 million budget obviously anticipated. It's not a disaster, it's just not a home run, or even a double. It's just bleh.

oh and even though this has nothing to do with the topic... Spiderman sucked and the dvd isn't even worthy to be urinated on by me

Don't do that in a Best Buy or they'll make you pay for it... er, I've been told.

Guys, I think that one should remember that this movie actually didn't get that much hype. THat's hard for us wrestling fans to believe, since it was hyped every show for us. But in general, if you watch a non-wrestling program, the movie was hardly hyped. It was just strongly hyped during WWE programming because the studio thought (and rightfully so) that we are the Rock's biggest fan base.

The Rundown," a comedy adventure in which Johnson plays a bounty hunter on the run in the Brazilian (news - web sites) jungle, sold about $18.5 million worth of tickets in its first three days since opening on Friday.

The $85 million film was released domestically by Universal Pictures, a unit of Vivendi Universal SA, which partnered on the project with Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites).'s Columbia Pictures, which will distribute it internationally.

The top 10 contained two other new releases, both from divisions of Walt Disney Co. .

Touchstone Pictures' "Under the Tuscan Sun," a romance skewed to the female audience starring Diane Lane (news), grossed an impressive $9.4 million, tying at No. 2 with last weekend's champion, Sony's supernatural thriller "Underworld." Disney executives said they were "absolutely thrilled" with the bow, especially given that the film opened in a modest number of theaters -- 1,226 vs. 3,152 for "The Rundown." The film will add a few hundred theaters next weekend.

On the other hand, Miramax Films' "Duplex," a dark comedy starring Ben Stiller (news) and Drew Barrymore (news), opened at No. 7 with a disappointing $4.6 million from 2,189 theaters. The actors play a New York couple at war with their elderly neighbor. Danny DeVito (news) directed the film, which cost in the $40 million range.

OVERALL TICKET SALES SLIDE

Rounding out the top five were two films released last weekend, both squeezed down two places by the new arrivals. New Line Cinema's family adventure "Secondhand Lions," starring Michael Caine (news) and Robert Duvall (news), dug up $8.3 million. Paramount Pictures' "The Fighting Temptations," a musical comedy starring Cuba Gooding (news) Jr. and Beyonce Knowles (news), tuned in with $6.5 million. Their respective totals rose to $23.5 million and $20.2 million. "Underworld" rose to $37 million, also after two weekends. New Line is a unit of AOL Time Warner Inc., while Paramount is a unit of Viacom Inc .

The overall box office ended a two-week winning streak as sales for the top 12 films totaled $79 million, according to tracking firm Exhibitor Relations. The tally was down 12 percent from last weekend and down 14 percent from the year-ago period when the Reese Witherspoon (news) comedy "Sweet Home Alabama" was tops with $36 million. New releases next weekend include the rock 'n' roll comedy "The School of Rock" and the Denzel Washington (news) thriller "Out of Time."

The $18.5 million debut for "The Rundown" was in line with industry expectations, although some pundits had forecast a possible bow in the $20 million range. It also pales against the surprisingly strong $36 million opening of Johnson's last movie, "The Scorpion King," in April 2002. That movie benefited both from being a spin-off from the hit "Mummy" franchise, and from opening in the early summer.

Universal distribution president Nikki Rocco said word of mouth on the well-reviewed movie was "fantastic," and she was also impressed by its broad demographic appeal, with 47 percent of the audience aged over 25. The film co-stars Christopher Walken (news), Seann William Scott (news) and Rosario Dawson (news).

Guest El Satanico

When you remove the two exceptions(Sweet Home Alabama and Rush Hour both made over 30 mill.), Rundown's 18.5 mill falls right in the middle of the top September openings.

It may be a disappointment to some people here, but I doubt the studio is that disappointed. We have no clue about the studio's expectations, but if they were expecting big numbers they would've released it in the Summer.

Releasing it in September shows that the studio was uncertian about Rock's drawing at this point and that they wanted to test it. The studio may not be blown away by the number, but it gives them a good sign that Rock can become a big action draw.

Guys, I think that one should remember that this movie actually didn't get that much hype. THat's hard for us wrestling fans to believe, since it was hyped every show for us. But in general, if you watch a non-wrestling program, the movie was hardly hyped.

This is so not true. I saw commercials for the Rundown all over the place. I especially saw commercials for this movie on MTV, BET and programming that drew the WWE's target audience of 18-34 year old males.

Guest thrall585
The Sweet Home Alabama argument is stupid because NO ONE expected that movie to do what it did.

I never argued anything about the movie. I just said that there have been other movies in September that made more than 20 million like Sweet Home Alabama.

Rundown should do OK next weekend since there is little competition hitting theaters (including Denzel!) and should do fantastic numbers in rentals.

It won't do fantastic numbers in rentals because some people don't want to see a movie with a wrestling star in it.

Guest thrall585
Thrall. Shut up. You don't know Hollywood, and have yet to build an argument that isn't based largely on conjecture and fails to be logically sound at nearly every step.

Every argument of mine has been logically sound and actually some of my arguments were based on facts, not all on conjectures. For instance I said the expectation for the movie is 25 million, and yes that is true, some insiders said it should make 20+ million while others went as high as saying 30 million (source is: http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/articl...p?news_id=4162). The insiders underrated him being a WWE wrestler, because that is what turns some people off from the Rock.

The only way you can call it a disappointment is that if the numbers come out lower than what the STUDIO expected them to be.

Not just the studio, but hollywood. And the numbers came out lower than what they expected.

Guest thrall585
Word is spreading that the Rock is turning out to be pretty damn good, and sooner or later the non wrestling fans will accept that.

That isn't a good assumption. A lot of people will never watch a movie with a wrestling star in it (no matter how good he is at acting or how good his movies are). Once Rock leaves WWE, some of them will watch him in the movies.

Guest thrall585
The studio may not be blown away by the number, but it gives them a good sign that Rock can become a big action draw.

A mediocare number for the type of movie it is for September does not give a sign that Rock can become a big action draw.

Really? Because whenever I watched TV other than wrestling, I hardly ever saw Rundown ads.

Well, maybe it's what you watch. I saw the commercials for the Rundown pretty much every time I turned the teley on.

The Rundown has been promoted for like a MONTH in advance - I see it everywhere. At least 10x's more than anything else out there right now. 20 mil is certainly disappointing and it doesn't look to be breaking 100 mil or even make back the money put into it (well, I'll bet that Worldwide and on Video it should, but not by a lot - I wonder if that 80+ mil accounted for advertising.)

It cost 110 mil total (production and market).

It will make that back after overseas and DVDs. The 18.5 mil opening week should put it in the 70-80 million dollar range. That is not bad for a new guy, in an action movie in September, with very little help in the cast.

As for discrediting the SHA example. Bullshit. At the time that was released Reese Witherspoon was one of the hottest stars in a chick flick. I don't care what has happened to her since.

Guest thrall585

It will make that back after overseas and DVDs. The 18.5 mil opening week should put it in the 70-80 million dollar range. That is not bad for a new guy, in an action movie in September, with very little help in the cast.

That means it won't make back its budget. Not good for someone labeled as the "next big action star in Hollywood".

Guest Dynamite Kido

Anyone actually see the movie? I thought it was pretty damn good......especially because I didn't expect it to be that great.

Guest thrall585

I just saw it and while it was decent entertainment, Rock acted very stiff and he was unexciting, it was like he was reading from a script after waking up 4 am in the morning. Also whenever Rock acts humble in real life he is unexciting too. He needs to put an end to his unexciting act so more people will watch his movies.

That means it won't make back its budget. Not good for someone labeled as the "next big action star in Hollywood".

"It will make that back after overseas and DVDs."

Guest thrall585

Actually the movie will likely make 55-60 million in the domestic box office. And that is a disappointment and will take Rock back a step. Don't know how much it will make in rentals and overseas but it will be a disappointing number too.

20 million is a nice opening weekend gross total. I saw the movie opening night, and it was packed in the theatre I was in. It was a very fun movie to boot and The Rock especially played his part well. There were some pretty outrageous parts in the movie, but nothing overboard, and I certainly enjoyed it more than Scorpion King.

Actually the movie will likely make 55-60 million in the domestic box office. And that is a disappointment and will take Rock back a step. Don't know how much it will make in rentals and overseas but it will be a disappointing number too.

Well, thanks for sharing with us what the movie will do in markets it has yet to be released in.

Yes, Rock will, and pretty much is a draw in hollywood. He has A: a well known name now and B: A movie with good word of mouth and reviews.

It is common place for films to make extremely high numbers back in DVD sales and rentals now...even for ones that didn't do too strong at the theaters(ie: Every Kevin Smith film). Oversea film runs are not predictable as some films that would be thought to do great do so so while some that basically bombed here have off the charts success. Rocks name and fame has a great chance to push his film even more overseas.

AND lets stop ignoring how bad the box office has been lately. Thrall, you obviously don't want the film to do well, but opening weekend means NOTHING in terms of what this film can do. Come back in 2-3 weeks and talk then.

Guest thrall585
Well, thanks for sharing with us what the movie will do in markets it has yet to be released in.

It has been released to the vast majority of the markets. The projection is based on all the markets.

Yes, Rock will, and pretty much is a draw in hollywood. He has A: a well known name now and B: A movie with good word of mouth and reviews.

Rock will make Hollywood money, but not the money they want. He needs to get better in his roles and leave WWE in order for this to happen.

It is common place for films to make extremely high numbers back in DVD sales and rentals now...even for ones that didn't do too strong at the theaters(ie: Every Kevin Smith film). Oversea film runs are not predictable as some films that would be thought to do great do so so while some that basically bombed here have off the charts success. Rocks name and fame has a great chance to push his film even more overseas.

If a film does disappointing in the theaters, it tends to do disappointing in the rentals. And the Rock is a bigger name in the US than he is overseas, so he would do better here.

Thrall, you obviously don't want the film to do well

Just because I say the film won't do as well as expected doesn't mean I don't want it to do well. Bad assumption there. I actually don't care how well the film does.

but opening weekend means NOTHING in terms of what this film can do. Come back in 2-3 weeks and talk then.

"The 18.5 mil opening week should put it in the 70-80 million dollar range" said pinjockey. You ignored that, how biased. The projection is 50-65 million with it most likely between 55-60 million. Projections can be made from what it did in the opening weekend (it is done all the time).

Edited by thrall585

It has been released to the vast majority of the markets. The projection is based on all the markets.

Really? It was already released overseas? What do you mean no?

Guest thrall585

>>It has been released to the vast majority of the markets. The projection is based on all the markets.

>Really? It was already released overseas? What do you mean no?

I'm talking about the vast majority of the domestic markets and the projection is based on all the domestic markets. What do I mean no to what?

Guest nikowwf

So far Rock's had THE SCORPION KING which underperformed opening weekend and did so-so, and RUNDOWN which also underperformed opening weekdown and will shock me if it comes anywhere near 70 million. I dont think its unreasonable to say that so far his movies performance is slighly dissapointing.

remember, people thought hulk was dissapointing and that did first week numbers of 60 million and overall near 150 million.

niko

Guest goar
If a film does disappointing in the theaters, it tends to do disappointing in the rentals. 

Actually that's not true. Movies that gross in the $40-70 million range tend to do really well in rentals because they're usually films people meant to see but just couldn't be bothered to go to the theater to check out. Look at the new release wall at your local Blockbuster/Hollywood. You will see many copies of movies like Identity, Phone Booth, Lizzie McGuire, Holes, The Recruit, Just Married, etc. Sometimes as many as there are of much larger hits. Now it may not do well in sales but that's a different story.

Thrall, you obviously don't want the film to do well

Just because I say the film won't do as well as expected doesn't mean I don't want it to do well. Bad assumption there. I actually don't care how well the film does.

You're certainly act like you care. A lot.

but opening weekend means NOTHING in terms of what this film can do. Come back in 2-3 weeks and talk then.

"The 18.5 mil opening week should put it in the 70-80 million dollar range" said pinjockey. You ignored that, how biased. The projection is 50-65 million with it most likely between 55-60 million. Projections can be made from what it did in the opening weekend (it is done all the time).

He's right and wrong here. An $18.5 weekend will project out to about $55 mil. over its first four weeks. Most movies have done something like 90% of their total box office after four weeks. However, there are obvious exceptions for mega-hits (Pirates, Nemo), movies that start slow and catch on later (Greek Wedding, Italian Job), and movies with limited openings (Bend it Like Beckham, Chicago). I don't think this movie fits any of those criteria.