TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

One & Only MLB playoff discussion thread

It's obvious that Smoltz is hurt and the Braves are in serious trouble if they advance because it's clear that he's playing injured right now. Getting eliminated tomorrow may end up being beneficial to Smoltz in the longrun, although I'm sure that's not what he wants at this point. He's certainly not as effective as he's been when he's actually healthy, and one has to wonder what would have happened had the one and two hitters gotten on for the Cubs in the ninth. As it turned out, I thought they really played hard until the last out instead of just rolling over and moving onto game five, mentally. A pretty good game, and the Braves got some breaks which ended up making the difference. Farns doesn't get hurt and I say Chipper doesn't hit that second homer.

Anyone else think that if the Cubs or Sox get into the World Series that some of their fans will "Celtic Pride" one of the other team's star player?

The NL games were great today. The ending of the Giants/Marlins was fantasic! It's amazing how the Giants nearly tied the game the way the Marlins took the lead -- running into the catcher.

I'm especially excited that the 3 teams I'm rooting for, the Braves, Cubs (grew up watching the Braves & Cubs on TBS & WGN) & Marlins (underdog factor and Pudge is a former TX Ranger) are still in it. As the playoffs started I thought the Giants would beat the fish -- boy was I wrong.

Smoltz being hurt would be a huge blow; I'm sure the bullpen could survive game 5 against the Cubs, but after that I'm not sure.

Outside of the starters the Braves bullpen is shaky. If the Braves do advance -- or even tomorrow -- I could see a starter (Maddux or whoever is able to pitch) being used as the closer. Maddux could do it for game 5; it wouldn't be the first time he did that in the playoffs either.

The NLCS should be interesting. If the Braves win, its 50/50. It seems like they have trouble with FL anytime they play. If the Cubs win, I also feel that's a toss-up.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The umpires hosed the A's on that call...absolutely terrible.

I heard them say WWF but not about what..

Were they comparing the amount of fuck ups in this game to the fuck ups in the WWF?

I'll just say neither team deserves to win tonight. The A's have had a ridiculous amount of mental errors and the Red Sox got lucky on the interference call and their childish behavior is a sign of a desperate team.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Boston isn't even close to being in the A's league, the only thing holding them doing is some bad luck. Pitching wins baseball games, and no one does that better than the A's. Just wait till the Red Sox go to their bullpen, the A's will pull this one out.

I tuned in just in time to see those two controversial plays, and I must say while the first was pretty justified (he was just trying to block the plate it seemed), the second one was clearly interference and should've gone in the A's favor. Oh well, I see the A's pulling this one out. To me, the A's and Marlins look like the best teams thus far.

I cannot even tell you how much a Braves-Marlins, Yankees-A's LCS pairing would turn me off these playoffs. The A's are the only team I'd be even half-interested in seeing win; the rest I absolutely can't stand...and they all would have eliminated a team I would've loved to see win the entire thing.

Jeff Loria is an absolute asshole, and I will be rooting against the Marlins harder than I rooted against Art Modell and the Ravens 3 years ago (not that that did any good...).