TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2003-04 NHL predictions

It amazes me that with just a little more money being spent (not more than $6-8 million) the Bruins could be a legitimate force coming out of the East. Pick up Burke for one year, he's better than Potvin. Sign Boynton & Berard to shore up the defense. Sign someone like Oates to be the #2 center, and have him join Thornton, Murray, Samsonov, Knuble and Ralston as legitimate scorers. Throw in people like Lapointe and Axelson to occasionally chip in some goals. Maybe have some of the kids from Providence play well.

But no, instead let's be cheap ass bastards and NOT spend the money.

- Joe Nieuwendyk signed with Toronto, wanting to become the first player ever to win Cups with four different teams (Flames, Stars, Devils so far). Um...then why did he sign with Toronto??

Well, Ken Klee's signed with Toronto, so now we know the answer to that. Klee is obviously the guy that puts Toronto over the top in their run for the Stanley in 2003-04.

OK, maybe not. I'm of the opinion that my Leafs aren't winning anything until we get rid of Dummy...er, Domi. Now, if we can just find a team to take him...

Still I think Toronto has an adequete defence. Kabarle is great, Klee and Marchment isn't bad pick ups to help improve, but they aren't going to do anything offencive wise. It improves the d slightly, but get rid of Berg, Belak and add Colliaccavo instead, it would be better.

It amazes me that with just a little more money being spent (not more than $6-8 million) the Bruins could be a legitimate force coming out of the East. Pick up Burke for one year, he's better than Potvin. Sign Boynton & Berard to shore up the defense. Sign someone like Oates to be the #2 center, and have him join Thornton, Murray, Samsonov, Knuble and Ralston as legitimate scorers. Throw in people like Lapointe and Axelson to occasionally chip in some goals. Maybe have some of the kids from Providence play well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55718

And Oates has yet to sign with anyone. He's a bit too slow for Boston, but he wouldn't be that unwelcome back in Beantown.

It amazes me that with just a little more money being spent (not more than $6-8 million) the Bruins could be a legitimate force coming out of the East.  Pick up Burke for one year, he's better than Potvin.  Sign Boynton & Berard to shore up the defense.  Sign someone like Oates to be the #2 center, and have him join Thornton, Murray, Samsonov, Knuble and Ralston as legitimate scorers.  Throw in people like Lapointe and Axelson to occasionally chip in some goals.  Maybe have some of the kids from Providence play well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55718

And Oates has yet to sign with anyone. He's a bit too slow for Boston, but he wouldn't be that unwelcome back in Beantown.

Hey, good for the Bruins. I love the fourth message on that story.

"This will be a stalwart and possible Norris Trophy for the Bruins for years to cum"

It was either some kind of joke, or the guy is terrible at spelling. I suspect the latter.

I don't think that Jacobs & Sinden have forgotten that Oates criticized the team's managment back when he was last a Bruin, even though everything that he said was 100% accurate. So, they'd probably not want him back even though he could help the team.

The Bruins got Travis Green from Columbus for a 6th rounder. Columbus acquired him in the waiver draft.

The Panthers lost Jani Hurme, their second string netminder to Carolina, who traded Hurme to Atlanta for a 4th rounder.

The Hurricanes signed Jamie Storr, the free agent who posted a 2.54 with a .905 in 39 games with Los Angeles last year. He got a one year base at 500K, with incentives.

The Hurricanes have two good creasemen now with Kevin Weekes and Storr.

The Kings are banking on Roman Cechmanek to be their new #1, and I believe that they will be OK.

Ottawa lost one of their signings in the offseason, Denis Hamel, who they wanted as an odd mix of crash n'bang mixed with good defensive qualities, to Washington.

Atlanta got Serge Aubin from Colorado in the waiver draft. Aubin hopes that a change in scenery will bring out his underrated ability to drive the puck home. He's struggled so far in his young career despite his potential, so he's apparently going to try and fill in for Dany Heatley.

Montreal got Steve Begin from Buffalo. He is a good defensive centerman.

Not surprisingly, Curtis Joseph went unclaimed, as he still has 2yrs/16mill left on his contract with Detroit. He'll probably be gone by December.

I have seen the future in the Ottawa goal, and it is undoubtedly Ray Emery.

What a performance against Detroit this week! Facing what amounted to the Detroit opening day roster, and opposing Dominik Hasek, Emery was outstanding in a 3-1 win. He could very well be the best goaltender on the roster -- and he'll be starting in Binghamton this year.

Ohbytheway...Senators are 7-0-0 in the preseason, including three wins against the Leafs by a combined score of 10-3. Can't wait for November 29...Leafs at Senators on Hockey Night in Canada.

Ohbytheway...Senators are 7-0-0 in the preseason, including three wins against the Leafs by a combined score of 10-3. Can't wait for November 29...Leafs at Senators on Hockey Night in Canada.

I'll be watching that, through the magic of NHL Center Ice

Yeah, but are they in the Page 2 'Best Uniform' tournament?

Nah, they'll be around a lot longer in a more prestigious tournament...for some big silver trophy. ;)

Ohbytheway...Senators are 7-0-0 in the preseason, including three wins against the Leafs by a combined score of 10-3.  Can't wait for November 29...Leafs at Senators on Hockey Night in Canada.

I'll be watching that, through the magic of NHL Center Ice

I'm still undecided on that...I'm not sure if I could watch enough games to make it worth the price.

The way I figure, even if I only watch a game every few nights on week nights, and most on the weekends, I'm still getting the games that I want to see. Not Nashville at Florida, but Ottawa v. Toronto for example. All the out of market big games on Saturday, plus the feature match on HNIC every week? I'm in.

Time Warner is going to allow me to pay in increments of 40 bucks, so it'll be easier that way.

The way I figure, even if I only watch a game every few nights on week nights, and most on the weekends, I'm still getting the games that I want to see. Not Nashville at Florida, but Ottawa v. Toronto for example.

The Nashville Predators don't tickle your fancy? Oh say it ain't so...

Don't underrate the entertainment value of a Florida Panthers game ... even now that they lost Worrell, they'll still be good for a fight or two a game. You can only watch so much clean hockey before feeling the urge for a good old fashioned donnybrook. If you watched a Nashville vs. Florida game last year, you could count on Cale Hulse vs. Peter Worrell fighting major. I had the package last year, and you end up watching more random games than you'd imagine.

And a question for the Leafs fans on the board ... how excited should I be about Travis Green coming to Boston. I know that he had a 70 point season a few years ago, but I don't think that he did much in TO. Was it a lack of playing time, or is he nothing more than a third or 4th line center?

He's nothing more than a 3rd line center.

And I watch mostly Panthers games, as I haven't had the digital package since I moved down here. It's OK, but you always know that there are bigger games that could be aired on ESPN, but they'd rather air a game between two colleges that I've never heard of. Like you said, there's talent there, and they can get into some good brawls (the one against Lemieux and the Penguins this past year was fucking awesome) but other than that, you can only watch so much of them without being a fan.

Green was the Leafs best faceoff man, pretty much. I have a bad feeling that he's going to have a big year now, especially since he ended up back in the Leafs' division.

Don Cherry liked him.

Green is the type of player who busts his ass every night, and blocks any shots, passes, and will fight for a battle for a loose puck. He is a type of player that comes down to the nitty gritty.

Nashville - Not Entertaining? You can change that point of view if Jordin Tootoo manages to stick around all season. I watched him with the OCN Blizzard (Manitoba Junior Hockey League) and the Brandon Wheatkings and he is without a doubt one of the most entertaining players to watch. I think that was evidenced by his performance at last year's WJC. Granted, he might be forced to change his game a bit, but thus far in the preseason he hasn't had to.