TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Philosophy Help

Well, if anyone doesn't mind, can someone help me answer the following question:

How would Pythagoras have the extended concept of harmonia to the practice of medicine?

I have looked and can't find much, although the fact that his concept of harmonia seems to have nothing to do with modern medicine may be why. Does anyone out there either already know what can be said about this, or at least know a good site to find some information?

Any help is appreciated, and I'm sure there's bound to be a philosophy major somewhere 'round these parts.

fortunately, i'm a philosophy major.

unfortunately, i have no idea what that question is talking about. not familiar with the concept of harmonia, never studied pythagoras, and don't even know anybody who's studied him.

Yet another example of why philosophy is a load of old bollocks.

yet another example of the ignorant lashing out at what they don't understand.

That would normally help a little, as it talks a lot about harmonia, but nothing about medicine. It's all good though, as thanks to a little bit of effort, I got it. Just in case there are people that are actually interested, this is what I got:

How would Pythagoras have extended the concept of harmonia to the practice of medicine?

Pythagoras’ definition of harmonia entails the discovery of number/ratio/proportion as the fundamental basis of music intervals. Also known as tuning, it is a matter of imposing set mathematical proportions (a limit, bound, structure) upon chaos: the undifferentiated, unlimited and boundless. On a diatonic scale, these ratios could be expressed as 2:1, 3:2, or 4:3. Such result is a figure, or pattern.

The concept of harmonia can be extended to the practice of medicine due to how one can recover from illness. Healing has to do with bringing opposites into balance, also known as the resolution of tension (harmonia) If the body were an instrument, than having good health would mean "being in tune”. Henceforth, tonics are used to restore balance and to help the body become "well tempered". A disease is due to the predominance of one constitutional element over its opposite. Simply put, Pythagoras felt that the practice of good health is temperance, a sense of balance, otherwise known as harmonia.

For better understanding, one could also look at conflict as an example of a lack of harmonia. Disagreements, such as marital disputes, should be capable of formulation into a system of oppositions, numerical ratios which can be brought into balance.

Disagreements, such as marital disputes, should be capable of formulation into a system of oppositions, numerical ratios which can be brought into balance.

Hence the reason why all women should be subservient to their husbands. ;)

Guest Agent of Oblivion
fortunately, i'm a philosophy major.

You planning on teaching, or...teaching?

Not a damn thing.

It's all hypothetical. And the thing is what if you spend 30 years working on free will and you find we're not actually free? Your life is a waste. You might as well jump off a bridge.

Well, I'm using my philosophy major as a springboard into law school. The methods of thinking help students of philosophy to organize their thoughts and express them more clearly, as well as prepare arguments they make and evaluate arguments presented to them.

Philosophy isn't sitting around discussing free will and fate. Sure, that IS discussed to a degree, but the focus is on finding a better way to ask the question as a way to get closer to the answer. No, it's not as useful as they tell you, but as preparation for another degree or as a minor for any given degree, it can't be beat.

Sorry for the miswording; basically, how is Pythagoras' concept of harmonia related to the practice of medicine.

Should I just throw in the towel?

How about that both the ratio of the concept of harmonia and the practice of medicine are science and mathimatically bases, but both were used to find and maintain beauty and celebrate Athenian culture? The ratio of the concept of harmonia was used to create beautiful music, which celebrated the arts and culture of Athena. The practice of medicine was used to help cure the body. In other words, to keep the perfection and beauty of the human body, which was another big part of the culture.

Sorry for the miswording; basically, how is Pythagoras' concept of harmonia related to the practice of medicine.

How about that both the ratio of the concept of harmonia and the practice of medicine are science and mathimatically bases, but both were used to find and maintain beauty and celebrate Athenian culture? The ratio of the concept of harmonia was used to create beautiful music, which celebrated the arts and culture of Athena. The practice of medicine was used to help cure the body. In other words, to keep the perfection and beauty of the human body, which was another big part of the culture.

While that's a fine answer, it ain't what *Pythagoras* said. I already answered the question really, and now the only debate left is based on how useful Philosophy is.

I'll say this much; there's a LOT of lateral thinking, and also logic. Like Ace said, it's very good at helping one debate and argue.

you forget that i'm also a film studies major, which gives me the addition option of...teaching.

Okay maybe i was a bit rude before, but seriously what can you do with with philosophy?

it's good for:

abstract thinking

problem-solving

arguing and justification, as ace said

making you think about what you believe and why you believe it (which follows directly from justification)

There's a degree course in Oxford University thats combined maths and philosophy. Now that looks fun.

they're more closely related than you might think, in dealing with proofs and such: symbolic logic in particular. wittgenstein, one of the most imposrtant philosophers of the past couple hundred years, also wrote quite a bit on math.

While that's a fine answer, it ain't what *Pythagoras* said. I already answered the question really, and now the only debate left is based on how useful Philosophy is.

I'll say this much; there's a LOT of lateral thinking, and also logic. Like Ace said, it's very good at helping one debate and argue.

Ah, sorry about that. I guess I should read the thread thoroughly before posting.

And philosophy is useful because you learn to see a deeper meaning and think at a higher level. I know even a couple monthes in AP Art History has helped me greatly in my way of thinking.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

you forget that i'm also a film studies major, which gives me the addition option of...teaching.

Bet your folks were thrilled to hear you decide on that.

I was technically Pre-med, although that curriculum was almost completely identical with the Chem program at my school, so that's basically what I was studying. Currently, though, I'm majoring in factory work, so I can pay for school the ol' fashioned way. Just be happy you're whiling away the hours tinkering with a major that will make you no money, as you could be running a stamping press next to a singing fat woman who LOVES Shania Twain...for a little bit of money.

Bet your folks were thrilled to hear you decide on that.

well, they know i'm smarter than they are, and so they're proud.

Follow-up to my previous question: The body uses many different ratios as a means of determining it's health and well-being. Examples being temperate, body fat, whatever. My question is, did the people who came up with such numbers do so after learning of Pythagoras' findings, or was it pure coincidence?