TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

WWE shut out of schools

from Newsday.com

By Ellen Yan

Staff Writer

October 31, 2003

Schools Chancellor Joel Klein yesterday took down two wrestlers from World Wrestling Entertainment.

A visit from WWE superstars Trish Stratus and Maven Huffman was to be the cream of three top prizes in a citywide sweepstakes on which schools can get the most students to fill out forms for the federal free and reduced lunch program.

Those and other donated incentives were organized by the Department of Education's Office of School Food and Nutrition Services, which offered gifts to parents, principals, students and staff.

Education Department spokeswoman Margie Feinberg said food services officials will drop the two entertainers.

"The wrestlers are not going to a winning school," she said, adding that school officials decided the prizes were more appropriate than the "whole, big, entertainment extravaganza" of the wrestlers.

Some parents had questioned the appropriateness of having two wrestlers from WWE, known for its scripted matches, violent skits and sexually-tinged entertainment.

"If you really stop and think about it, it's really appalling," said a mother, who asked not to be identified, but is from a Jamaica elementary school. "Are these the role models, really, for elementary school?"

Huffman, a former teacher, is known as a "heel," according to his Web site. Stratus is "diva of the decade" and fitness model, her WWE biography said.

The department has been pushing its principals to make daily announcements on the sweepstakes, give out fliers and print them in school newspapers. The lunch forms are due Nov. 14.

The federal lunch program is intended to provide nutritious meals to children from low-income families, and every child signed up can bring more federal dollars. If a school has enough children in the program, it becomes Title 1 school, making it eligible for federal funds reserved for schools with high percentages of low-income families. Last year, 75 percent of the city's students enrolled were in the program.

The WWE prize would have gone to one of the three schools with the most new forms filed. Each of the three schools' principals will win a weekend at the Millenium Hotels and Resorts in Manhattan, a $590 value. The staff member who helps sign up the most students will receive a $350 day spa package, while a student picked at random will get a bike. Parents can obtain sports club passes, while students can get autographed baseball memorabilia, CDs and more.

This sound like more PTC crap to me, but I can see where they are comming from. Who needs all that disruption during school hours?

And since when is MAVEN a HEEL? Did I miss something?

Guest wildpegasus
This sound like more PTC crap to me, but I can see where they are comming from. Who needs all that disruption during school hours?

And since when is MAVEN a HEEL? Did I miss something?

I'm fine with this if it is indeed "PTC crap". I wouldn't want representation from a show that promotes abusing women because they don't like the taste of beer either. If the WWE wants to put on a racy product than they should deal with the consequences. Good for the school.

Guest JMA

Very sloppy. On another note, Maven should REALLY use his full name. Maven Huffman sounds so much better than just "Maven."

Guest XxSmashxXxHeadxX

What's so wrong with the WWE? i mean people say its fake all the time but then they say shit like this. oh well.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The recent Austin/Stacey stuff.

Katie Vick.

Vince wishing Taker's family would get raped on the original SD skits.

This is Vince's fault, of course. *shrug*

I don't see why they throw in "scripted matches" in there with the rest of those supposedly offending attributes.

This is Vince's fault, of course. *shrug*

I don't see why they throw in "scripted matches" in there with the rest of those supposedly offending attributes.

Guest Nanks

This kind of thing really shits me occasionally, when people decide that WWE is some kind of evil because it's scripted and has sexual innuendoes. I wonder if this school would disallow a visit from Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry because Friends is scripted and has sexual innuendoes...

Guest Nanks

Sadly, I just have to agree. Fuck, I'd never thought about that before. I picked up WWF in Year 5 on a family holiday in the US, but I never saw anything that prompted me to ask my parents why that was happening as would almost certainly happen today. Man, that's sad. Really doesn't bode well for a revival in the industry

Very sloppy. On another note, Maven should REALLY use his full name. Maven Huffman sounds so much better than just "Maven."

That's also Booker T's last name though.

If we can't have two guys named Lance on Raw, I doubt they'll allow two guys using Huffman.

"The wrestlers are not going to a winning school," she said, adding that school officials decided the prizes were more appropriate than the "whole, big, entertainment extravaganza" of the wrestlers.

Each of the three schools' principals will win a weekend at the Millenium Hotels and Resorts in Manhattan, a $590 value.

The staff member who helps sign up the most students will receive a $350 day spa package, while a student picked at random will get a bike.

Parents can obtain sports club passes, while students can get autographed baseball memorabilia, CDs and more.

:huh:

If we can't have two guys named Lance on Raw, I doubt they'll allow two guys using Huffman.

Booker's known to fans as Booker Huffman?

No, but it's not exactly unknown either, since they showed off all his robbery conviction shit in the buildup to WrestleMania. Why they chose to air that dirty laundry on TV, I don't have a fucking clue.

Guest JMA

Yeah, but he can't just be "Maven" for his entire career. Besides, Bokker wouldn't be using his last name. The whole Lance thing is weird to me. They have several Chrises.

Yeah, but he can't just be "Maven" for his entire career. Besides, Bokker wouldn't be using his last name. The whole Lance thing is weird to me. They have several Chrises.

Why can't he just be "Maven", you got "Raven", "Batista".....eh, thats about it

Because "Maven" sounds like a brand of suppository *. He needs a gimmick, thats the problem with tough enough, the fans know their real personality so they can't accept them in a gimmick role.

* For those who aren't sick minded enough to find out, a suppository is a pill that you stick up your ass, kind of like a Werthers Original - hard, round, and often used by old people.

I think I would let my kids watch wrestling if I had kids... just because than I might have someone to talk about wrestling with (in person).

I said I wouldn't let my kids watch WWE, I didn't say I wouldn't let them watch wrestling.

I feel bad for the kids who are fans of Trish and Maven. Whether you like them or not, to some people, SOME of the talent are indeed role models.

No, but it's not exactly unknown either, since they showed off all his robbery conviction shit in the buildup to WrestleMania. Why they chose to air that dirty laundry on TV, I don't have a fucking clue.

They used it to weave a nice cinderella story that they paid off fully.

Oh wait, no, HHH just pedigreed him back to the midcard and singlehandedly mocked an entire race. WOO!