TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSC

A Few Things

No, I buy it, I'd just never heard it.

I understand that speaking ability shouldn't reflect intelligence, but it's often perceived as such. It makes great ammunition for the left, at least in their own eyes. Not saying all liberals are like that, but many that I know do resort to it because it's easy and "fun." Bastards.

I understand that speaking ability shouldn't reflect intelligence, but it's often perceived as such. It makes great ammunition for the left, at least in their own eyes. Not saying all liberals are like that, but many that I know do resort to it because it's easy and "fun." Bastards.

It makes great ammunition for WHOEVER ISN'T IN POWER.

We just had a "Well, at least he knows the definition of the word 'is', hyuck hyuck" post here. Remember when that was the flavor of the month?

Guest MikeSC
The problem with Kerry is that he looks and sounds like he's dead.

The problem with Kerry is that I don't think he's emphasing his military experience enough. I mean, are you guys aware that he served in Vietnam?

:D

WHAT?

KERRY SERVED IN VIETNAM?

GET THE HECK OUTTA HERE!

-=Mike

...What next? Did McCain ALSO serve or something?

Potentially interesting news: Iraqi secret files reveal that several prominent personalities and US politicians accepted money from Saddam to support him.

Interesting.

I want to see how many French personalities / politicians are named, though.

The problem with Kerry is that he looks and sounds like he's dead.

I have to agree there. The man just looks like a cadaver.

Guest JMA
I have to agree there. The man just looks like a cadaver.

Strom Thurman (when he was alive) was the closest you can get to a real zombie. And let's not forget Reagan... :ph34r:

I'd say Kerry doesn't look like he's dead, per say. He just looks like his face was shot up with embalming fluid.

Howard Dean became the latest Dem to make an unnecessarily stupid statement, saying that he wants to be a candidate for "guys with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks."

As a poor-ass white guy a voice tells me I should be offended by that statement, but I'm not. He could have chosen better words, but the amount of flak shot at him for it wasn't appropriate.

Fuck the politically correct crap.

Guest MikeSC
Howard Dean became the latest Dem to make an unnecessarily stupid statement, saying that he wants to be a candidate for "guys with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks."

As a poor-ass white guy a voice tells me I should be offended by that statement, but I'm not. He could have chosen better words, but the amount of flak shot at him for it wasn't appropriate.

Fuck the politically correct crap.

Again, he was given SEVERAL chances to at least apologize for the poor choice of words --- but decided to just bear ahead regardless.

-=Mike

Again, he was given SEVERAL chances to at least apologize for the poor choice of words --- but decided to just bear ahead regardless.

-=Mike

I commend him for doing so. You shouldn't have to apologize to morons who can't get what he is saying which is he wants to appeal to rednecks and freak out when they hear the word "Confederate" and automatically think "OMG RACIST~!".

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

I commend him for doing so. You shouldn't have to apologize to morons who can't get what he is saying which is he wants to appeal to rednecks and freak out when they hear the word "Confederate" and automatically think "OMG RACIST~!".

Thing is, what he said WAS f'n idiotic.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Too bad Howie didn't say he wanted to be a candidate for those Southerners that eat watermelon and fried chicken.

Like LaDainian Tomlinson...

MORE from Howie:

Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean told a Tallahassee audience today that southerners have to quit basing their votes on "race, guns, God and gays"

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/democrat/71.../printstory.jsp

WAY TO WIN THE SOUTH, BABEE!

Tyler, just so you know, this is how to NOT run a campaign.

-=Mike

Loved this part...

"Dean said he hopes to reassemble a coalition of conservative

southern voters like President Franklin Roosevelt had in the "solid

South" 70 years ago. Although his opposition to the war in Iraq and his criticism of the Bush tax cuts do not score well in polls in the South, Dean said he hopes working families will support his call for improving education and health care."

I understand that speaking ability shouldn't reflect intelligence, but it's often perceived as such.  It makes great ammunition for the left, at least in their own eyes.  Not saying all liberals are like that, but many that I know do resort to it because it's easy and "fun."  Bastards.

It makes great ammunition for WHOEVER ISN'T IN POWER.

We just had a "Well, at least he knows the definition of the word 'is', hyuck hyuck" post here. Remember when that was the flavor of the month?

Yeah...and the Dems aren't in power. I'm not saying the right doesn't do it just as much, just that, right now, the left are the ones going after the President (naturally). Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying, I don't know. Not a big deal anyway, the point wasn't intended to spark a grand debate on intelligence vs. speaking skills, or on who flings more mud. They're all pretty dirty anyway.

Potentially interesting news: Iraqi secret files reveal that several prominent personalities and US politicians accepted money from Saddam to support him.

I have to wonder if these politicians were given money by Saddam back when he was an ally...

And in regards to Dean, I commend him for speaking his mind. To much PC bullshit in the world today.

Christ, even I'm beginning to think that Dean really may have some sort of mental instability problem.

Guest JMA

Off-topic: Vyce, I think there's something wrong with your avatar and sig. Too many RED X'S OF DOOM~!

-=Mike

I don't understand why he keeps choosing the most demeaning way possible to say something that's actually grounded in reality, although the newspaper only direct quotes him on the very end.

It's quite possible they added a negative context to those five words?

Yeah...and the Dems aren't in power. I'm not saying the right doesn't do it just as much, just that, right now, the left are the ones going after the President (naturally). Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying, I don't know. Not a big deal anyway, the point wasn't intended to spark a grand debate on intelligence vs. speaking skills, or on who flings more mud. They're all pretty dirty anyway.

If you know as well as I do that it's all cyclical, then what's the point of calling one group of people bastards for taking their turn. :bonk:

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

I don't understand why he keeps choosing the most demeaning way possible to say something that's actually grounded in reality, although the newspaper only direct quotes him on the very end.

It's quite possible they added a negative context to those five words?

I'm not sure how you could quote that in a non-offensive message.

I know what he is TRYING to say (basically, he's saying he wants the "white trash" to feel that the Democrats will listen to THEIR concerns --- I know the term is offensive, but poor whites in the South feel the DNC will NEVER listen to them) and he (Dean) feels that Southerners should base their votes more on policy than any other kind of appeal.

He just is HORRIBLE at saying it.

-=Mike

...Why not "We need to listen to ALL Americans, regardless of skin color, academic background, etc."?

Guest SideFXs
I have to agree there.  The man just looks like a cadaver.

Strom Thurman (when he was alive) was the closest you can get to a real zombie. And let's not forget Reagan... :ph34r:

I'd say Kerry doesn't look like he's dead, per say. He just looks like his face was shot up with embalming fluid.

WHO CARES?

Reagan was the 'Great Communicator'

Too bad you were to young to appreciate how he could capture peoples attention.

How positive you felt after you heard Reagan talk.

Did your liberal teachers ever show him give a complete speech and not just an out of context remark or action that make him look like a cadaver, stumbling for a thought?

Chill out, Rob. We're just talking about looks.

Of course Reagan looked the way he did -- how old was he when living in the Oval Office?

I was 8 when the '84 Election took place, and my Dad, God bless him, is a big-time union guy. Him and his pals were talking about how Mondale was going to win because their neighborhood had "a lot of Mondale fans."

One of their main arguments was that Mondale was going to raise taxes, but at least he was going to be honest about it.

Ten years later I'll never forget the look of fright/rage on his face when I showed him my voting card saying I was a Republican.

Good times...

Guest JMA
WHO CARES?

Did your liberal teachers ever show him give a complete speech and not just an out of context remark or action that make him look like a cadaver, stumbling for a thought?

You have no real real knowledge of my age. I'm 18, just so you know. And I'm well aware of Reagan's speaking ability. I also haven't had too many liberal teachers. But, overall, just what is your point?

You're making judgements about me based on a comment on physical appearance.

I'm not sure how you could quote that in a non-offensive message.

Neither of these are direct quotes, but simply examples:

Non-offensive: "For too long, Republicans have turned Southerners against our party by using these issues: Race, guns, God and gays."

Offensive: "Southerners need to stop voting simply on race, guns, God and gays"

Now, the newspapper clipping sounds a lot more like the latter, although we only know he said the "race, guns, God and gays" phrase.

Anyone remember any positive Reagan quotables? All I can think of is, "Mister Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

I'm sure everyone was thrilled to hear "the bombing begins in five minutes," too. I recognize that was supposed to be a joke, but the Commander in Chief joking about that is like the National Guard guy at the airport joking about a hijacking.

This isn't quite what your looking for, but what came to my mind was, "There you go again," and that bit about not making Mondale's youth and inexperience an issue in the ’84 campaign.

Not policy-oriented, but both zingers did their jobs...