TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest OctoberBlood
I hope that Brewers scenerio repeats itself here in Cincy. No more Linder.

Amen. :(

Still going to opening day though, are you?

Of course. I love opening day here in Cincy. Usually I even go to the parade. For as long as I can remember I have went to opening day, it is tradition. The reds even screwed that up last year, making tickets available over the internet the way they did locked out many of the local fans in favor of national vendors.

Why would Derrek Lee file for arbitration with the Cubs? Wasn't he just signed by them?

Here's how it works. A player is eligible for free agency after 6-7 seasons. Before that time, he is essentially owned by the team that holds the rights to him, even if he doesn't have a contract with that team. The Cubs have the rights to Lee, because of the trade.

Now here's where it might get tricky. For the first three years, a player either accepts what the team wants to give him, or holds out (this rarely happens). Much like the old days of the reserve clause. After three years, a player may have his salary determined by an arbitration panel if he and his team cannot agree on a contract.

Derrek Lee is not under contract, but not eligible for free agency. He's played over three years, so he is eligible for salary arbitration. Basically, all this move means is that a hearing will determine his contract for the upcoming season. He and the Cubs may still agree to a deal on their own before that time. Hope that was clear enough.

Guest cpac

Espn is reporting that the tigers have offered IRod 4 years 40 million. Why couldn't they have offered a big contract to tejada or vladmir.

I recall them offering a deal to Miguel Tejada, but he turned them down.

Assuming the Tigers sign I-Rod, they're on my short list of most improved candidates for 2004, along with the Orioles, Padres, Mets, and Angels.

What? You mean the M's haven't improved? Everyone knows that older is better than younger.

::Shakes fist in.... UNCONTROLLABLE RAGE~!::

Something tells me that if Pudge is actually signed by the Tigers, he'll be hurt a good deal of the season. I think it's been proven in the last 2 decades that things aren't supposed to work in the favor of the Tigers.

Guest Anglesault
Something tells me that if Pudge is actually signed by the Tigers, he'll be hurt a good deal of the season. I think it's been proven in the last 2 decades that things aren't supposed to work in the favor of the Tigers.

But, really, baseball needs some levity some times. Like any time my Yankees depressed me this year I just looked at the Tigers' record and couldn't help but laugh.

Something tells me that if Pudge is actually signed by the Tigers, he'll be hurt a good deal of the season.  I think it's been proven in the last 2 decades that things aren't supposed to work in the favor of the Tigers.

But, really, baseball needs some levity some times. Like any time my Yankees depressed me this year I just looked at the Tigers' record and couldn't help but laugh.

Hmm. The Yankees have lost two World Series in the past three seasons, while the Tigers haven't lost a World Series since 1940.

EDIT: I think the Tigers got the last laugh. Lets not forget they are the ones who traded Jeff Weaver to the Yankees.

Guest FrigidSoul
Espn is reporting that the tigers have offered IRod 4 years 40 million. Why couldn't they have offered a big contract to tejada or vladmir.

They did, nobody wants to play in Detroit if they have other options.

Guest Anglesault
Something tells me that if Pudge is actually signed by the Tigers, he'll be hurt a good deal of the season.  I think it's been proven in the last 2 decades that things aren't supposed to work in the favor of the Tigers.

Hmm. The Yankees have lost two World Series in the past three seasons, while the Tigers haven't lost a World Series since 1940.

:angry: :P

Poll on Yahoo Sports:

Is the Orioles' pitching staff good enough to compete in the AL East?

Thanks for voting! 15561 votes since Jan 15 2004

Yes 23% 3656 votes

No 76% 11905 votes

::smirks::

Guest OctoberBlood
Of course. I love opening day here in Cincy. Usually I even go to the parade. For as long as I can remember I have went to opening day, it is tradition. The reds even screwed that up last year, making tickets available over the internet the way they did locked out many of the local fans in favor of national vendors.

Very cool. Since I live a few hours away, I don't really get to experience the parade or anything. I'm certainly going to try and get opening day tickets. Last year, I wen't to one of the best games I've seen live. May 20th, Reds vs. Braves. Don't know if that rings a bell LaRue hit the game winning HR in the 8th to put the Reds up by 2. The Braves scored one on a solo shot by Furcal, but Willy cooled down and struck out Andruw Jones with men on 1st and 3rd. It was wicked. I was surrounded by Braves fans, but they were all cool and we had fun throughout the game.

BTW, Reds signed Mike Matthews and Reggie Taylor to MLC today.

I really like the Matthews deal. I hope he earns the job as the lefty in the pen out of Spring Training. He was good stuff, didn't expect to him to take a Minor league contract though.

I recall them offering a deal to Miguel Tejada, but he turned them down.

Assuming the Tigers sign I-Rod, they're on my short list of most improved candidates for 2004, along with the Orioles, Padres, Mets, and Angels.

The Tigers pretty much have to be the most improved team.

I got to see the Tigers a good amount last season against the Twins. A few young players showed promise. Bonderman looked to have excellent stuff, and Eric Munson showed signs of being worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

What? You mean the M's haven't improved? Everyone knows that older is better than younger.

::Shakes fist in.... UNCONTROLLABLE RAGE~!::

*shakes fist even harder*

no team's off season has sucked has much as Minnesota's.

It killed me seeing the Hawk at the Cubs Convention. Fucking A does it suck he's done on the Twins anymore.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think Pudge is a good fit for the Tigers. They have some good prospects right now and Pudge will be a great clubhouse leader, something the Tigers really need.

Espn is reporting that the tigers have offered IRod 4 years 40 million.  Why couldn't they have offered a big contract to tejada or vladmir.

I think Pudge is a good fit for the Tigers. They have some good prospects right now and Pudge will be a great clubhouse leader, something the Tigers really need.

That and talent.

Scott Boras and Pudge really lucked out on this one, because no one else is showing any long term interest. The Tigers may suck now, but they'll improve over the next few years. In the meantime, I-Rod finally has long-term job security.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig holds the largest share of the Brewers, believed to be between 26% and 30% of the team.

According to a source familiar with team valuations, the Brewers franchise is valued between $180 million and $200 million.

Keep in mind Bud Selig is involved with those numbers, so they're probably off just a tad. The real value of the Brewers franchise is probably just a handful of $100 bills, a six-pack of Old Milwaukee, and a crate of now-useless Richie Sexson bobbleheads.

Guest ToddRoyal

Apparently you haven't seen Giambi's stats from last season. The only bad move the Red Sox made last off-season (and it was an AWFUL one)

Guest FrigidSoul

I'd have to say our inability to go into the season with a closer was a dumb move too...but by the end of the season we had Kim, and Williamson...next year we have Williamson setting up for Foulke with Kim headed to the rotation(where he's for some reason a much more motivated pitcher) so I have no complaints.

Guest ToddRoyal

Eh. The closer problem worked out in the end. The only deals I didn't like last season were signing Giambi, and the trade for Jeff Suppan. Hopefully the offseason moves work out as well this year. And I pity the Dodgers if THAT is their best offseason move.

Guest FrigidSoul

I agree, the Suppan and Sauerbeck deal sucked and we could use Freddy Sanchez. Of course I can't say Sauerbeck is a horrible pitcher because he evidently hurt his shoulder and told nobody as he just had surgery on it which will make him unable to pitch in 04.

Apparently you haven't seen Giambi's stats from last season. The only bad move the Red Sox made last off-season (and it was an AWFUL one)

I've seen his stats from last season, but I've also seen his stats from the five previous seasons. Last year, with a .197 Batting average, he still posted a .342 OBP. The Dodgers signed him to a minor league deal, and there's real potential for a .400 OBP. With an offense like the Dodgers', they can use the help.

Guest ToddRoyal

Especially with the A-Rod/Nomar deals falling through, the Sox must wish they had Freddy Sanchez back. Hopefully they can resign Nomar, or make the A-Rod trade down the line, because we really don't have a SS/2B prospect on the horizon anymore.

Problem is Burger Boy Jr. can't field at all so he really needs to be on an A.L. team and playing in Dodger Stadium ain't gonna help his offense. He should have tried to hook back up with the Royals.

But anyways fuck 'em FOR NOT SLIDING YOU FAT PIECE OF SHIT!!! I hope his career continues to go down the toilet.

*ahem* Anyways back to the Tigers. If they lose 100 games they'll be most improved team in the league. Even though their in the Central I can't see them not losing at least 90 games but again, for them, that'd be a major improvement.

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Mariners have invited 16 non-roster players to their major league spring training camp.

They include left-hander Mike Myers, who was signed as a free agent on Friday. Myers, 34, spent the past two seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks and has appeared in 609 major league games, all in relief.

In addition to Myers, the Mariners have asked five other pitchers to spring training in Peoria, Ariz. -- Craig Anderson, Travis Blackley, Jose Nunez, George Sherrill and Randy Williams. All are left-handers.

The Mariners also invited catchers Pat Borders, Luis Oliveros and Rene Rivera; infielders Bucky Jacobsen, Adam Jones, Jose Lopez, Mickey Lopez and A.J. Zapp; and outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Hiram Bochachica.

ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols wants a long-term contract from the St. Louis Cardinals, and he doesn't plan to give them a bargain.

"What do you mean?" Pujols said Sunday at the team's annual winter fanfest. "This is business. There's no break here.

"You try to get what you deserve and that's what I want. I've taken care of my business in the field the last three years and hopefully I get treated respectfully, that's all I ask for."

Pujols, who won his first NL batting title and finished second in MVP balloting behind Barry Bonds last season, expects to file for arbitration Tuesday.

Both he and the Cardinals anticipate Pujols, 24, will win a record arbitration award.

The Cardinals reportedly offered Pujols a $55 million, five-year contract. Pujols refused to discuss the status of talks.

"It's a tough negotiation because it's obviously a player that has never been in this category before," general manager Walt Jocketty said. "There are very few comparables."

In 1997, Mark McGwire signed for less than market value with the Cardinals, soon after joining them in a trade from Oakland. But Pujols, who batted .359 last season with 43 home runs, 124 RBIs and 137 runs scored, doesn't plan to do the same.

After watching the team allow Eduardo Perez and Miguel Cairo to leave as free agents this offseason and seeing the Cardinals trade J.D. Drew and Eli Marrero, Pujols said it might be best not to get too attached.

"I'm pretty sure it's going to work out," Pujols said. "It's great to stay with one team and not get traded.

"I love the city, I love the fans, but also you need to understand this is business. Next year I could be somewhere else."

The Cardinals don't see that happening. Manager Tony La Russa said the team wanted to make Pujols a "Stan Musial, where he plays his whole career here."

Pujols said he won't let his contract status affect his play. He made $900,000 last year, the largest one-year deal for a third-year player, and is due for a huge raise no matter what happens.

"I've been getting ready working out, and I'm not even thinking about it," Pujols said. "It doesn't matter how much money I'm going to make, the money is not going to change the way I play the game."

La Russa has no worries about Pujols' commitment. The only question is where he'll play.

Pujols, who played left field last year, likely will move to first base after Tino Martinez was traded to the Devil Rays. But Pujols played four positions regularly in each of his first two seasons and he's willing to play wherever he's needed.

"It doesn't matter to me until we break camp and we start the season, and even then during the season if somebody goes down and I have to move to the outfield, I'll do it," Pujols said. "Because I'm a teammate guy."

Pujols was limited in his throws last year by a sprained elbow ligament. He said he's been throwing without problems for almost a month and a half.

"It feels fine," Pujols said. "It doesn't bother me at all."

The Mariners also invited catchers Pat Borders, Luis Oliveros and Rene Rivera; infielders Bucky Jacobsen, Adam Jones, Jose Lopez, Mickey Lopez and A.J. Zapp; and outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Hiram Bochachica.

COOLEST. NAMES. EVAR.