TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaertos

Breaking Kayfabe 11-14-2003

Well, here we are again, just a few days away from my first PPV as Commissioner of the SWF. So far, it has been a blast, letting me show off a few different sides of myself and play around in other people’s storylines. I am pleased with how the two “punishment” matches came out as I think everyone involved came out looking strong. Ashes 2 Ashes has been a challenge here in the booking office as the roster, while looking better thanks to the returns lately, is still in a bad way. It was a tough decision to wrap most of the titles up in the big Survivor Match, but I think in the long run it is the right decision as we push into the New Year.

There is a lot of talk running around the office and the Internet about our next PPV, the as-yet-unnamed Christmas Show before we take our yearly break to heal up. Traditionally, this has been a show for fun featuring bizarre gimmick matches and holiday goofiness, but as the IGN/SWF has evolved, so has the PPV. Last year’s more serious, traditional PPV went over well, generated great buyrates and got us ready for the remarkable 2003 we have had. So, to be honest, we are still deciding what kind of a show the 12-15 Pay-Per-View will be. Keep your eyes and ears open, because one way or another, I’m sure it will rock.

The 2004 schedule has been prepared now for sometime and is ready to be released. It closely resembles the very successful shift to a 3 shows a week schedule we used this year, with a PPV every 6 weeks or so. The exceptions being CF, From the Fire and the Year-End Xmas show. We are looking forward to this coming year and, after the incredible receptions in Hawaii, Tokyo and Sydney we are looking to do a few more overseas dates. The travel is hard on everyone, particularly since we produce our television while across the Pacific, but the response was worth it.

I got a chance to have lunch with Frost while we were in Japan. He is doing well there and enjoying the chance to see a new place and work with some new workers, but I couldn’t get over the feeling that he was itching to get back in the ring with our SWF Superstars. For myself, I can say that I miss having Frost on the road with us and I know the boys would love to see him back.

We finally got the “Grand Slam Office Set” ready to go, only a couple of weeks behind schedule. It should make its premiere on the Storm after A2A. I am looking forward to it.

It’s good to have Annie back in the fold. The Internet never picked up on this, but the original plan for my proxy in the “Commissioner’s Match” was supposed to be Ms. Eclectic, a former Carnie. But, personal issues called and the Divine Miss A had to take a few weeks off the road. But I think you will all agree with me that Dace Night filled in more than admirably and really used that as a stepping stone to get the crowds behind him, getting them that little extra heat he needed to become one of the top faces in the company. I was happy to have him in the match and I think he proved that he belongs in the same breath as some of our best guys.

The knee, in case you are wondering, has been healing slowly. My doctor says that I can quit using the cane as soon as this Sunday at Ashes 2 Ashes. The brace will stay until I have surgery but my mobility will improve over the next few weeks thanks to a good regimen of stretching and strengthening, the continued nagging of the SWF Medical Staff, great workout partners in Strangler and Va’aiga and pure, dumb luck. Heck, I might be able to get back in a ring and start working out by January.

And now, the eagerly awaited return of…

Road Stories!!

A couple of weeks ago, I was having some swelling in my knee after a show. The Docs said it was just too much time on my feet and too much moving around. It would be fine, they said, after a good night’s sleep and a hot shower in the morning. The downside though, is that this was after a Lockdown and I was ready to go home for the weekend. The airport was a good hour and a half away and there was no way I was going to sit in a car comfortably in a driver’s seat for that long. So while I am trying to figure out a way to get back to the airport with my rental, I found out that J&R had rode to the show with a local indy guy they knew from a while back. He had powdered out on them to get to a last minute gig on the other side of town leaving them stranded at the arena.

Needless to say, about an hour after the show, Justice and Rule hit the highway in my rented Chevy with me stretched out in the back seat. We all had plenty of time to make our flights, so we decided to grab a bite to eat. After passing a couple of places that were open but the kitchens were closed, we finally found a Dennys’. We sit down and order dinner. The waitress slips off into the kitchen, oblivious as to our “celebrity” status. Which, for once, we were happy about. There are two other tables in the place, both of them full of, well, the kind of people you expect to see in a Denny’s at 2 in the morning. We get our food and all seems to be going well. Until the busboy recognizes us and tells his buddies at table 4. They all got up and came over.

Turns out all of them were fans but didn’t recognize us. It was cool. We sat and talked about old matches and they bought our dinner for us. One of the guys was talking about the Steamboat / Flair match at WrestleWar and Ejiro is in heaven talking submissions with the guy. I love meeting fans who love the business as much as we do.

After dinner, we hopped back in the car and headed to the airport. We rushed through the terminal and made it to our connecting flight… only to find out it was delayed by fog. There were like three other people waiting on the flight so it was quiet and lonely. We picked up the conversation about old submissions we were having back at Denny’s and well…

Well, it was only a matter of time before we were comparing obscure holds. And as most of you reading this already know, a lot of that stuff is hard to explain. Needless to say, we put on a pretty good show of holds and counters for the other passengers and flight crew. I have no idea how many things we busted out because, well, as soon as we had an audience, we tried to outdo each other. Man, between Ejiro, Judge and myself, we know far too many submissions.

Two hours later and, stiff and sore, we got on the plane. The attendant brought us all some water and we laughed about it until I fell asleep. Ever since then, whenever we pass each other in the backstage halls, one of us calls out a hold and the other calls out a counter. Nice to know I can still keep up…

‘Till next time, keep swinging for the fences.

- “Grand Slam” Mark Stevens