TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

WWE Survivor Series 2003 Diatribe

Cuban got such a huge pop because Cuban is a demi-god in Dallas. He is an owner, but he's seen as just another fan, which makes him supercool. Plus, if you knew just how bad the Mavericks were before Cuban rescued them, you'd understand.

Yep... in Dallas Cuban = Demi-God

And Mark Henry pinning Booker T... well... there is reason for this Mark Henry push. He still has 3 years left on that deal he signed in 96. The WWE is just basically saying "oh hell, we might as well use him and see if he can hang with the big guys". That's the reason for this push in my opinion. Great Diatribe Dames.

I still think it says EVOLUTION IS A PISSED MARINE~! as someone said a while back. I don't know who said it, but credit to them.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR

Great diatribe Dames and i agree with you about Orton and Henry, these 2 shitbags haven't done anything to deserve that WWE push.

Guest M. Harry Smilac

great write up

I think the reason Holly got any sort of reaction on Smackdown was because he came in to the ring and gave morgan and jones some stiff chair shots.

Just about anybody could get over for one night doing that.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR
great write up

I think the reason Holly got any sort of reaction on Smackdown was because he came in to the ring and gave morgan and jones some stiff chair shots.

Just about anybody could get over for one night doing that.

I just think WWE used their always helpful canned pops.

I actually didn't even know the ppv was this week, showing how much I keep up with wrestling these days, but Goldberg retaining and Lesnar tapping to Benoit will do for me. I think I can get a tape from somewhere.

I think your rating of the Raw tag is nuts. Sure, it was dramatically sound once it was one on three, but there was still very little wrestling that could actually be called "good" in that match. Hell, there wasn't any. Shawn did a killer bladejob, and worked the crowd really well, but it was overbooked to hell at the finish.

Thank you for the feedback so far, guys. Keep it coming.

Mark Cuban comes across like a Joe Schmoe type to me. How on earth did a guy like that become owner of an NBA team?

Holly's pop wasn't canned last week on Smackdown. The entire arena was on their feet chanting Holly's name. I know people who were at the show and told me so. Plus, you could see the crowd reacting on Smackdown. That's a big tell as to whether or not the heat is canned.

As for the Raw tag, yes, star ratings are subjective. Most of you know that I'm a harsh grader, but absolutely no one was dogging it in that match and everything was booked well minus Booker T's elimination. As I stated in the Diatribe, the story was excellent, but could have been told slightly better. That was clearly the best match the Raw roster has had in months though.

Dames

Mark Cuban comes across like a Joe Schmoe type to me. How on earth did a guy like that become owner of an NBA team?

Mark Cuban Biography

Mark Cuban

Owner

When Mark Cuban purchased the Dallas Mavericks on January 14, 2000, the face of the organization began to change immediately. Once again Mavericks games had a party atmosphere as Reunion Arena rocked with the return of the "Reunion Rowdies." Mavericks games became more than just ordinary NBA games - they were a total entertainment experience.

Cuban was not only successful at instilling a sense of pride and passion into Mavericks fans by presenting himself as the ultimate role model by cheering from the same seats he had in years past, but he also became the first owner in team sports to encourage fan interaction through e-mail on his personal computer. It was through this personal touch that fans throughout the Metroplex, and around the world, began to notice Cuban's energetic personality and take notice of the Mavericks. He has personally responded to thousands of emails, and several suggestions from fans have led to innovative changes such as a new three-sided shot clock, which allows line of site to the 24-second clock from anywhere in the arena.

Cuban's whatever-it-takes attitude and commitment to winning has everyone's attention. From his first introduction to the team to the end of his first season as owner, the players responded with a 31-19 record, including a 9-1 mark in April 2000. In addition to hiring special coaches for offense, defense and shooting, Cuban has promised to do everything in his power to improve the team. This goal was achieved as the club finished the 2000-01 season with a 53-29 record en route to their first playoff appearance in 11 years where they became just the sixth team in NBA history to be down 0-2 and come back to win a five-game series vs. Utah in Round 1.

Before the start of the 2001-02 season, American Airlines Center, the Mavs new home, opened and Cuban co-founded HDNet, an all high-definition television network on DIRECTV channel 199 which launched in September 2001. As with his other ventures, Cuban is revolutionizing the television industry with HDNet. He is planning to expand HDNet to include three more networks showing high-def sports, movies and entertainment by the end of 2002.

During the Mavs 2001-02 campaign, the team continued their winning ways by finishing the season with a franchise-best record of 57-25 and an NBA-best road record of 27-14, advancing to the postseason for the second-consecutive year.

Prior to his purchase of the Mavericks, Cuban co-founded Broadcast.com, the leading provider of multimedia and streaming on the Internet, in 1995, selling it to Yahoo! in July of 1999. Before Broadcast.com, Cuban co-founded MicroSolutions, a leading National Systems Integrator, in 1983, and later sold it to CompuServe.

Today, in addition to his ownership of the Mavericks, Cuban is an active investor in leading and cutting-edge technologies and continues to be a sought-after speaker.

The justification for giving the match **** seems to be, "It didn't suck as much as usual", which is pretty sad. Hell, that goes for all of the great, glowing reviews of this PPV. 3 years ago we would have shit all over this whole show for the lack of good wrestling and three HORRIBLE matches (HHH-Berg, Kane-Shane, Taker-Vince). I guess this is what happens when expectations are low.

Michrome, "It didn't suck as much as usual" was not one of my reasons. Normally, I would just say that.

I just felt 90% of the stuff used really clicked and the story was done very, very well which is something they haven't done in a long, long time. The fact that it hasn't been done in a long time isn't the reason for the high rating, it's simply an observation.

Dames

Guest Coffey

After last night, I came to the conclusion that I am still a huge Shawn Michaels "mark." Damn, I forgot about age, retirements, injuries, etc. and was just watching in awe. The bladejob was perfect. The ending with Austin helping HBK up and then HBK saying "I'm sorry" for losing after a 3 on 1 with a run-in was great.

I'm glad he came back.

I didn't get a chance to see the PPV, but after reading your diatribe, I'd like to. I think that you were slightly more negative than I would have been, since this is the first time in a LONG time that I've seen the WWE set up storyline after storyline after storyline in one night with legitimate long-term direction. I'm really pumped about that, and hopefully they'll keep the ball rolling.

I pretty much agree with all of the ratings. I was loving the RAW 5-on-5, too. I was going nuts by the time Jericho was eliminated.

I don't know if you guys are joking or not, but I'm pretty sure Evolution's theme goes like this... "Evolution is a mystery... all the change that no one sees..."

Mark Cuban is notable for excellent treatment and high class facilities for his team as well.

As for the review, great job of presenting a nicely balanced review. Credit was given where it was due, which is missing from too many reviews these days.

I still think it says EVOLUTION IS A PISSED MARINE~! as someone said a while back.  I don't know who said it, but credit to them.

Me!

Noble blocks the mist with his forearms and DARES Tajiri to come after him! Tajiri goes for a roundhouse, but Noble blocks it and hits his Tiger Bomb! ONE…TWO…NO!

Loved seeing that. However, that's the only match I saw un-scrambled.

Given the amount of time these two were given, I was pleased with the match up. All it really does is add fuel to the fire, as the issue between these two hasn’t been solved at all. I didn’t mind Tajiri retaining the way he did at all, since they’ll probably meet on Smackdown with some sort of stip to keep his henchmen away. Keep building to that match, fellas…*3/4

Yeah, unfortunately I suspect they'll worry about letting the heels look good for any length of time, and give us a tag match with Noble and an APA member to squash the little guys.

Ideally, though, Rey and/or another cruiser will team with Noble for this, though. It's a shame that they can't use any of the Jamie-san/Yang history for this, though.

While I’m still dissatisfied with the fact that this match was the opener and was pretty short, it did accomplish a few important things. First and foremost, it established John Cena as not only a babyface, but as a high ranking player as his push continues. There’s no doubt in my mind that there will be issues between himself and the Big Show over the F-U and most likely, a U.S. title feud, which is what Cena needs right about now. Secondly, Brock tapped out to Chris Benoit, seemingly starting a program between the two for the WWE Title which has got smart marks wetting themselves over it as we speak. There have been rumors about this program for many, many months now, so it’s nice to see it finally come to fruition.

I was expecting Show/Cena ever since last SD, and at least we'd see Show defending the thing.

Benoit making Brock tap would mean a lot more if Brock hadn't been jobbing left and right though. Was there any good reason for that handicap tag match job(s) he and Show did?

Still, we've got two interesting matches lined up for Rumble, and plenty of time to build. However, why do I get the suspicion that they'll just be doing a placeholder WWE title feud here for Brock/Benoit since SD isn't getting Armageddon, and Brock's actual Rumble challenger will end up being some one else?

Tonight, Lita will finally face Molly for the Women’s Championship, her first title match in a very, very long time…

Yeah--whatever happened to that "30 day" rule? The Women's title has often been like that, but it's gotten worse, with the Cruiser title and the US title with Show. I guess maybe there are title defenses on house shows, but house show stuff usually doesn't count.

Besides, for those clamoring for a Lita title win, next month is a Raw PPV. She’ll win it then. **

Well, all good things...

So, they build up this HUGE blood feud between the two (where Shane McMahon shouldn’t have lasted one match, let alone a couple of PPV’s) and the final match is complete and utter bomb. If this isn’t he worst feud of the year, then I don’t know what is. I’ll give the feud -***** and this match a -**, since everything that they did to each other in this match is balanced out by its stupidity, bad spots and bad brawling.

But, but, Kane won! He looked like a badass making that comeback, no selling, and still winning by some piddly little offense! It's dramatic and fantastic and JUST ENJOY IT DAMNIT! :P

All of a sudden, Brock stops talking as he looks at someone off screen. The camera pulls back to reveal….Goldberg!

Goldberg introduces himself with a smug look on his face asks him if he’s going to wish him luck in his title match tonight before walking away. Lesnar does not look happy as the fans chant Goldberg…

It would likely be a huge money-making feud--but how would they build it up?

I can’t believe we just wasted 10 minutes JUST to put over Randy Orton. This guy is getting way too big of a push and I can’t understand for the life of me what he’s done to deserve it.

He has POTENTIAL!~ He's the future of this business! He's a blue chipper and a second-generation superstar!

My Opinion: With the recent drama between Eddie and Chavo, I figured that it was a given that they wouldn’t win tonight. I almost expected Chavo’s eventual turn to come tonight, but they just continue to add fuel to the fire. This time, however, it seems as if Eddie has a legit beef with Chavo and not the othe way around. That may change things, only time will tell. The Bashams really don’t deserve the tag straps at all. Their in ring work isn’t good enough to warrant a title run, nor are their characters over in the slightest. If they didn’t have Shaniqua, they’d get no heat at all.

I don't dislike the Bashams--but there's not really anything to drive this feud. The baiting/switching of this match didn't help in my opinion either.

It looks like they aren't going to even do much with Eddy, let alone follow the U.S. Title loss with "something bigger."

What I enjoyed the most out of it was the storytelling. In the end, it was Stone Cold Steve Austin’s last hope, Shawn Michaels, a man that he had a very storied and rocky history with, facing off against his two biggest rivals this year: Chris Jericho and Randy Orton. Michaels bloodletting definitely added to the emotion as he was trying to overcome insurmountable odds to help Austin at any cost…and after the match, Austin didn’t give the man a Stunner for the loss, he shook his hand.

If I didn't loathe and despise Austin, I would have liked it too.

The rest of the matches I honestly don't give two shits about. However, with this and No Mercy--I simply do not believe these PPVs are brought to those by the same writers who do the weekly shows.

Granted, the card was still shitty, and there was quite a few "blech" moments, but it seems that after a month of stupid match making, lousy/horrible/non-existant build up, some good, competent bookers came in (for the second month in a row), and tried their best to squeeze this turd and make lemonade from it.

Unfortunately, the weekly shows are generally bad to unwatchable. Really, though--completely different teams for TV and PPV, or do they simply plan ONLY for the PPV and dick around all month until it's PPV time?

Guest Askewniverse
OK i read last night that Cena F Ued Show, but I dont know if they were serious or not.

was It true ?!

Cena really hit the F-U on Show. Here's a picture (taken from the Survivor Series site):

04.jpg

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The RAW Elimination match was **** better than Trips/Goldberg? Man, blind hatred, it really can be limiting.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Lesnar/Goldberg will draw a huge, huge, buyrate.

Oh and HBK was flawless in every way last night. Who lit a fire under that man's ass?

I hate HHH and I'm not fond of Goldberg, but I really don't see why you're so crazy about the match, Banky. It was neat to see HHH not only job cleanly again, but his stable go down in order against a guy that should've been built as an unstopable monster, but honestly, the match was just too plodding.

The two guys don't mesh well at all, and while it was interesting to see HHH work on the leg the whole match, it was boring, straight up. I'm not really one of those guys who's gonna crap on a match if there isn't a heavy amount of psychology used, because honestly, it rarely affects the finish.

Maybe I would think that it's blind hatred, but after rooting for Michaels during the RAW tag match after hating just about anything he's done since 1998, I know that's not the case when I'm looking at the main event. If the match had been that good, I would've thought so, and I really didn't. HHH just doesn't seem to be able to move well at all anymore and it really affects the match.

Dames, don't know if you will take this as a compliment or not, but after reading your Diabtribe...I am going to give Raw a chance tonight. For the first time in over a year.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Maybe I would think that it's blind hatred, but after rooting for Michaels during the RAW tag match after hating just about anything he's done since 1998

See, I don't get that. He's had two **** matches since returning (on a show where one **** per year from a non-cripple is rare) and he came back for the sole reason that he LOVES the business. I've enjoyed almost all his work since coming back.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame
I just think WWE used their always helpful canned pops.

From watching SmackDown!, I would definiately say they were into Hardcore Holly. based on that reaction and how they protected Hardcore Holly last night, I think they will have Hardcore Holly vs. Brock as their 'big' SmackDown! man event (you know, the 'slightly better than normal SmackDown! because we do not have a PPV this month' show).

Dames, don't know if you will take this as a compliment or not, but after reading your Diabtribe...I am going to give Raw a chance tonight. For the first time in over a year.

Don't blame me if the show sucks. Just because that one match was great, it doesn't exactly mean that Raw will be a good show.

All last night's show means is that there will be a new direction.

Dames