TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justsoyouknow

A Clockwork Orange

My friend and I rented A Clockwork Orange on Saturday, because we have to write a 10-page Literary Analysis on the book for our English class, and the movie is considered a source (we need 7 sources total). Anyway, I'd never seen it before, and I must say, I was blown away. It was, all-around, an awesome movie, and I haven't stopped raving about it since then. Any fans here?

The only part of the movie that lost me was...

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

At the end, after he leaps from the window, and he's lying in the hospital bed. He stares off, smirking, and says, "Oh, they cured me, alright," and then the credits roll. That lost me altogether.
Edited by justsoyouknow

Remember the establishment always knows what is right for you.

Well Alex went back to his "normal" self as he could cuss, think like a horny bastard, think about doing violent acts to people without getting sick.

Big fan, but enjoyed the book better. I'm unsure if it's due to the "ultraviolence" or what, but the movie never seems to get the critical love that it deserves.

I do have to admit that after seeing it a bunch of times, I have a hard time watching it from beginning to end non-stop, but I've seen it a dozen times or so, so it's not that hard to imagine it being tough to sit all the way through still.

By far, my favorite scene of the movie is when...

They come across Billy Boy's gang in the theatre and proceed to have a gang fight. Just the image of the four of them standing there, spread out against the back wall, slowly walking forward, and then the way that Alex talks shit to Billy Boy just had a strange effect on me. Plus, if you watch closely, Alex nails Billy Boy in the face with a SWANK bicycle kick.

As far as modern comparisons go, anyone catch any of those?

A fine film and I really enjoy the use of music in it, from the score to Alex's whistling. In fact the only better use of music I can think of is... Looney Tunes.

A fine film and I really enjoy the use of music in it, from the score to Alex's whistling. In fact the only better use of music I can think of is... Looney Tunes.

The scene where Alex sings, "Singing in the Rain" was also quite the spectacle.

My friend and I rented A Clockwork Orange on Saturday, because we have to write a 10-page Literary Analysis on the book for our English class, and the movie is considered a source (we need 7 sources total). Anyway, I'd never seen it before, and I must say, I was blown away. It was, all-around, an awesome movie, and I haven't stopped raving about it since then. Any fans here?

The only part of the movie that lost me was...

At the end, after he leaps from the window, and he's lying in the hospital bed. He stares off, smirking, and says, "Oh, they cured me, alright," and then the credits roll. That lost me altogether.

Book Spoiler

Maybe that's because that isn't the real ending. In the original book Alex, after being cured, spends the next couple years with his new gang wreaking havoc until Alex begins to grow tired of it. He leaves his gang to go for a walk and ends up walking into George, one of the former members of his old gang. George has moved on with his life, has settled down with a wife, and is, well, normal, and Alex realizes that this is what he wants too as the book ends. This was changed for the US book and the movie because the US publisher said that the ending was wussy and that Americans could handle the fact that people don't change. What a fucking loon.

Yeah, I finally saw it from beginning to end last winter, and it was pretty badass..a good movie to watch with friends. It was funny when a friend came back into the room, and was all "what's going on?" while Billy Boy's gang is trying to do the old in and out with a random blond.

Me: "Oh, not much at all. Stuff you see on Three's Company."

I need to read the book, though.

Guest JMA

Love the movie. People may remember when I had an Alex avatar and sig (under the name GenerationNever).

I especially liked that it didn't have a PC ending. In the end, Alex wins. It also illustrates hypocracy on both sides of the political spectrum. I.E., the fascist goverment and the old man who believes "the end justifies the means." A brilliant film all around.

I remember when you had that as your avatar.

Quite interesting this came up, as I just bought it on Saturday as I have chosen it to be one of my studied texts for Speculative Fiction in my schooling. Excellent movie, at any rate, and Kubrick's best (but this title sometimes goes to 2001).

Guest JumpinJackFlash

I thought the film was great. I like the music and the mood in the film. Beethoven's 5th Symphony rocks and its in the best scene of the film. You know the one I'm talking about. I can't tell you what it is since I can't find the darn spoiler tags.

If that bastard broke into my house he'd be shot on sight.

He'd probably then get a lawyer and say I violated his civil rights or something.

Matt, just replace the {} with [] and you're good to go...

{spoiler}spoiler text here{/spoiler}

Upon second viewing, the film is still excellent. I caught a few little bits that I missed the first time around, and felt that I understood the plot much better.

I've actually come across people that think that this film is awful. How is that possible?

Some people just don't like movies with good writing or drama or they are just too young to understand its greatness.

It was one of my favorite movies when I was NINE...

...Was I just a really smart kid, then?

Guest Evolution

I rented the movie myself yesterday, and I hope that it is good as I've heard that it is. I think I will enjoy it when I watch it tonight.

Read the book, but never saw the movie. One of the most difficult books I've ever read, but probably in my top 5.

I don't think I'd want to see the movie, just because the book evokes such graphic imagery that I wouldn't want to spoil it all by having that imagery interpreted for me on the screen.

Having read the book and seen the movie, I can tell you that Kubrick does a VERY good job bringing the literature to life. However, he takes some "creative liberties", cutting out entire parts of the book and changing others to suit his film better. The film's a little bit on the long side, however, running at around 136 minutes.