TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5_moves_of_doom

An Opinion Or Two...

Right, so I'm making a spiffy little compilation double-album for myself basically mapping out the progression of British music (Invasion, stadium-rock, punk, new wave, heavy metal, Radiohead)... and it pretty much includes one song from every major British band ever, with a few exceptions (2 from the Clash, 3 from Zeppelin, 2 from the Beatles, and 2 from Bowie, though one's his "Under Pressure" duet with Queen)... anyhow, in looking up all of these British bands, there were a few that I must admit I really have no clue about, and so I'm not sure which song to include of theirs, really. It doesn't really have to be their #1 hit (I'm purposefully avoiding the Knack's "My Sharona" for example)... but I'm looking for songs that sort of just epitomize the sound of the band, or the type of music they produced. Anyhow, I don't have songs for the following bands, and so if anyone listens to these bands (I know there're a lot of Iron Maiden fans around here)... any suggestions on which song to include would be welcome.

...and eh, just to add a discussion factor to the post, anything British music-related is welcome, too.

Madness

The Jam

The Kinks

The Animals

The Yardbirds

The British Beat

Iron Maiden

XTC

Wire

Again, thanks to anyone who contributes anything worthwhile.

The Stones, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple are considered British, right?

And if you want to ruin your CD, you can show how some of those bands inspired 80's pop metal like Whitesnake and Def Leppard.

Pink Floyd and the Who are certainly British. I nominate "Have A Cigar" or "Wots...uh the Deal?" for Floyd, and for the Who, oh just take your picks.

Afterthought: Wow, doesn't this just make you realize how much American rock music absolutely pales in comparison to what the British have given us?

For the Yardbirds I'd probably go with "Heart Full of Soul" or "Stroll On".

The Kinks are a bit trickier. For early Kinks I'd recommend "Till the End of the Day", for late sixties and on: "David Watts", "Waterloo Sunset", "Afternoon Tea", "The Village Green Preservation Society", "Starstruck" or "Victoria".

Suggestions for the Who: "Magic Bus", "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "I Can't Explain" (I could go on forever).

The Kinks: "Victoria." With the possible exception of "A Day in the Life," I prefer this song to anything the Beatles did.

XTC: "Respectable Street" or "Senses Working Overtime."

Wire: "Ex Lion Tamer," though just about anything on thier first three albums will do.

There are numerous bands I'd include over what you've mentioned, but I'm not making the mix here.

Guest El Satanico

What about Blur...The Brits even do bubblegumish pop/rock better than us Yanks.

Blur - "Beetlebum"; "Charmless Man" or "The Universal". Perhaps even Song2, but that's more of an americanized song for them.

Madness - It Must Be Love. I reckon that is their best song, but Our House as mentioned above is quite good.

The Animals have lots that you can pick. House Of The Rising Sun is incredibly important for music history, though I don't like it all that much.

The rest I either don't care or people have given you many suggestions already. And allow me to reccommend Cliff Richard and John Lennon's solo career, if you don't have them already.

There are numerous bands I'd include over what you've mentioned, but I'm not making the mix here.

Those weren't all of the bands, just the ones I didn't already have songs for.

The bands included are:

Madness

The Jam

The Clash

The Kinks

Joy Division

Sex Pistols

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Jesus and Mary Chain

Elvis Costello

David Bowie

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Radiohead

Rolling Stones

Animals

Yardbirds

Cream

Pink Floyd

Black Sabbath

Deep Purple

Queen

Duran Duran

British Beat

The Pretenders

The Smiths

The Cure

Iron Maiden

Wire

Buzzcocks

Big Audio Dynamite

Black Dog

Lo Fidelity All-Stars

The Darkness

The Beatles

XTC

The Faces

Creation

Though not in that order. Due to my 40 song limit (and the Clash getting 2 songs, Zeppelin 3, and the Beatles 2)... I did indeed have to cut out a few bands (Thin Lizzie and the Damned, amongst others)... but eh, I'd say I cover most of the British spectrum.

EDIT: Eh, I could just raise it to 45 tracks on 3 disks, or 50... I'm not sure, I think my friend's got this CD burner that burns DVD-sized CD's or something that could fit 25 songs onto each CD.

Edited by 5_moves_of_doom

What Pretenders song?

Keep The Faces.

For the Pretenders, I was torn between going with "Brass In Pocket," "Back on the Chain Gang," or a good non-hit. Right now, I think it's "Back on the Chain Gang," but that could be a little bit too obvious... hrmph, any Pretenders song that's less recognized but still blows the listener away that you've got in mind?

Some Brit groups you don't have with a song choice for each.

Gerry and the Pacemakers: Ferry Across the Mersey

Genesis: abacab from the earlier days, Land of Confusion for later on.

Spencer Davis Group: I'm a Man and Gimme Some Lovin'

Supertramp: Bloody Well Right

Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing

Police: Don't Stand so Close to Me

Mott the Hoople: All the Young Dudes

Bad Company: Silver, Blue and Gold and Feel Like Making Love

Tom Jones: It's Not Unusual

Billy Idol: White Wedding and Dancing with Myself

Herman's Hermits: There's a Kind of Hush

I personally would go with I'll Stand By You or Hymn To Her. But now you say a non-hit, and that makes it all the more difficult. I think their hits were their better songs.

Some Brit groups you don't have with a song choice for each.

Gerry and the Pacemakers: Ferry Across the Mersey

Genesis: abacab from the earlier days, Land of Confusion for later on.

Spencer Davis Group: I'm a Man and Gimme Some Lovin'

Supertramp: Bloody Well Right

Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing

Police: Don't Stand so Close to Me

Mott the Hoople: All the Young Dudes

Bad Company: Silver, Blue and Gold and Feel Like Making Love

Tom Jones: It's Not Unusual

Billy Idol: White Wedding and Dancing with Myself

Herman's Hermits: There's a Kind of Hush

Kind of overloading now... only so much room on 2 disks, and I'm getting WAY more feedback than I thought I would. Just shows how great Brit music was. Anyhow Frost... if you were to pick just 2 of those, seeing as that's about as much room as I have, which would they be? Idol and the Police would probably be the most obvious choices, but eh, I usually stay away from all that is Sting.

I personally would go with I'll Stand By You or Hymn To Her. But now you say a non-hit, and that makes it all the more difficult. I think their hits were their better songs.

Out of those two, which would you say captured the band's overall sound the best? I always liked "Hymn to Her" just a little bit more... but they're both great, as well as just about everything else the Pretenders ever did.

EDIT: Alright, now I need a second Pink Floyd track on the album to compliment "Comfortably Numb," showing how their sound changed. I probably want something off of their first album then... I was thinking "Astronomy Domine" or "The Scarecrow"... anyone got any suggestions?

Another Edit, So I Don't Have To Keep Making New Posts: Only four more queries, and then I'll be done.

1. "Astronomy Domine" or "The Scarecrow" to represent the Syd Barret line-up of Pink Floyd, circa Piper at the Gates of Dawn?

2. Which English Beat song to use?

3. Which Animals song to use?

4. Gang of Four? Incandenza, you convinced me to use them, so I'm talking to you here.

And finally... 5. For Radiohead, “Exit Music (For a Film)”or “Fake Plastic Trees”? I know the latter is their early hit and whatnot, but Computer OK is their best album methinks... eh, I'm kind of torn.

Anyhow, once I get these five answered, I think I'll be set. Thanks again to anybody who helped out.

Edited by 5_moves_of_doom

Going by what captured their general sound, I guess I would choose Hymn To Her.

As for Animals song, I'd pick House Of The Rising Sun, I think in terms of influentiality it would be #1.

The bands included are:

Lo Fidelity All-Stars

Because you put them on your list you are one of my favorite posters now.

LFAS rocks...it's a shame their vocalist quit after the first album. The second was decent, but their DJ set album On The Floor of the Big Beat Boutique is great. Lots of cool old school rap on it.

I just noticed Elton John and Cliff Richard were both missing from your list. Why is that, as they are both held in pretty high regard as British acts?

And, more importantly, where are the Pet Shop Boys?

I just noticed Elton John and Cliff Richard were both missing from your list. Why is that, as they are both held in pretty high regard as British acts?

And, more importantly, where are the Pet Shop Boys?

Gah, fucking room... who would've known that with 50 songs, I'd STILL have to leave about 10 really deserving bands off of the list?

Anyhow, I do sort of want to make room for Elton John...

...*sigh* Lesse, I can take out Gang of Four, the Police, or the English Beat. Choose, people. I'm not a huge Police fan, and I've heard nothing from the English Beat (but I heard they were terrible influential and whatnot), so it's not really a decision that I'm educated enough to make.

....Hrm, maybe I should just ante up the track list one last time, to like "54 Reasons To Love British Rock" or something... I dunno. Geh, this is really hurting my head. :huh:

Of what I put up, I would go with Gerry and the Pacemakers since you don't have a lot of early invasion stuff and Supertramp who I find to be really underrated and creative. You could make four cd's of British rock very easy.

Guest El Satanico

Don't take stuff out, just expand your compilation. Expand until you cover all that should be covered.

I'd say you can do it in 4 discs. So...Just do it

Of what I put up, I would go with Gerry and the Pacemakers since you don't have a lot of early invasion stuff and Supertramp who I find to be really underrated and creative. You could make four cd's of British rock very easy.

Gerry and the Pacemakers sound good. I don't like Supertramp, period, so there.