TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eclipse

CPU Usage at 100%....computer SLOWDOWN!

If I do reformat....there goes over 400 songs I downloaded, over 50-100 Snes games I have....etc, etc....

I can't even find the disks to restore the system to default. I may even have to FDISK the damn thing. That's if I can. Will reformatting take away the virus?

Well yeah it will. If you have a CD Burner then burn your stuff.

If you are using one of the free AV's you can try ponying up the money for say Norton AV and see if that will do a better job but other than that you are pretty much stuck.

Heck, I used to reformat at least once a year, and I almost never have a PC problem -- that was just to clean all the shit Windows had accumulated. With XP, I haven't had to reformat, though I did get a new PC last year, so I had to install it on that one.

Guest Scotsman

Contact me off the boards, and we'll deal with it that way. It'll be a lot quicker.

Guest Scotsman
Umm... Lexmark is your printer yo.

Yes, but the programs running related to Lexmark were not needed, and just hogging up system resources.

Contact me off the boards, and we'll deal with it that way. It'll be a lot quicker.

You were talking to me? I don't if you were telling that to DrTom or something...

I have some other virus now that...NO DOUBT I WILL NEED TO REFORMAT. If I run ANY kind of AV software, the payload is......YOUR HDD IS COMPLETELY DELETED. I lost 2 of the 3 disks I need to factory restore (the 1st disk is an emergency diskette). Someone told me if I contact Compaq or email them or something, they could give me replacement disks. Is that true?

Guest Scotsman
Unless he wants to print.  If he doesn't then fine.

Ummmm...what are you talking about? LEXPPS is only used when using large networks, and has NOTHING to do with printer functionality. All it does is slow down your connection.

LEXBCES is another network related program, that is not needed. ANYTHING to do with Lexmark MarkVision software is pretty much useless, and just hogs up the system resources.

Guest Scotsman
Contact me off the boards, and we'll deal with it that way.  It'll be a lot quicker.

You were talking to me? I don't if you were telling that to DrTom or something...

I have some other virus now that...NO DOUBT I WILL NEED TO REFORMAT. If I run ANY kind of AV software, the payload is......YOUR HDD IS COMPLETELY DELETED. I lost 2 of the 3 disks I need to factory restore (the 1st disk is an emergency diskette). Someone told me if I contact Compaq or email them or something, they could give me replacement disks. Is that true?

Yeah, was talking to you :D If you can contact me off the boards(e-mail is [email protected] - let me know if you use any IM programs) we can do this all 1 on 1, and be able to get everything resolved much quicker.

Well, of course, I forget about CD burning software. I heard it is bundled with CD burners when you buy it. Is that true?

Yes.  You can also "acquire" it thru places like Kazaa.

Seeing that this is how the virus he got is spread, I wouldn't really reccomend that. Also, WindowsXP has it's own built-in CD burner. It's crude, but it works for backing up data to CDs.

DO NOT BACK UP APPLICATIONS. Many viruses spread themselves to every .exe and other file they can touch. If you back up programs, you may very well back up the virus itself and welcome it onto your new computer. NOT GOOD.

And remember after you reformat, if you don't use a firewall of any kind, do use one (even the built-in WinXP one which /should/ be turned on by default) at least until you can download the Windows Update patches. There's a ton of viruses that spread over port 135 that I was talking about earlier.

You don't need a CD burner at all. In fact, I believe we listed some good methods not too long ago.

Yes.  You can also "acquire" it thru places like Kazaa.

Seeing that this is how the virus he got is spread, I wouldn't really reccomend that. Also, WindowsXP has it's own built-in CD burner. It's crude, but it works for backing up data to CDs.

DO NOT BACK UP APPLICATIONS. Many viruses spread themselves to every .exe and other file they can touch. If you back up programs, you may very well back up the virus itself and welcome it onto your new computer. NOT GOOD.

And remember after you reformat, if you don't use a firewall of any kind, do use one (even the built-in WinXP one which /should/ be turned on by default) at least until you can download the Windows Update patches. There's a ton of viruses that spread over port 135 that I was talking about earlier.

Well you wouldn't even have time to turn on the XP firewall if you are using broadband so I would recommend unplugging the computer from the internet in that case until you turn it on.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {029CA12C-89C1-46a7-A3C7-82F2F98635CB} - C:\Program Files\Kontiki\bin\bh304181.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxTray] C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hot Key Kbd 9910 Daemon] SK9910DM.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GWMDMMSG] GWMDMMSG.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Preload Check] C:\OEMDRVRS\KEYB\Preload.exe /DEVID: /CLASS:Keyboard /RunValue:"Keyboard Preload Check"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MoneyStartUp10.0] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Activation.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Red Swoosh EDN Client] C:\Program Files\RSNet\RSEDNClient.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html

O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)

O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)

O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)

O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...ash/swflash.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{9AA6F520-67DF-4D7D-AF94-699FCC17E299}: NameServer = 208.142.248.25 162.33.160.100

That shit is on mine after I ran Hijack THIS. SOmeone please help, what should I get rid of?

Well you wouldn't even have time to turn on the XP firewall if you are using broadband so I would recommend unplugging the computer from the internet in that case until you turn it on.

There's a catch 22 situation. You need to go online to Windows Update to get the patches, but while you're downloading them the virus can hit you (you'll know it did when you get a message informing you that RPC requires the computer to reset.)

Firewalling off port 135 is the most secure method.

ODD. The rundll isnt affecting anything at all. How-ever it says something abotu the System Idle Process is taking 99% CPU, but then at the very bottem of the window it says the usual 4-7% is being used. I am confused as all the other shit must have gone away(maybe) after I used Norton Antivirus(Didnt cath anything) Spybot,Ad-Aware, and Trojan horse last night. Any idea what the hell is going on with my comp(if anything at all)

How-ever it says something abotu the System Idle Process is taking 99% CPU

This is normal behavior. System Idle Process is kind of like a gauge of cycles that are being wasted. If you load a program that tasks your computer (Photoshop, for example), you'll see the number go DOWN as the program loads up and Photoshop sucks up CPU cycles. Then when all is done it goes back in the 90s again.

A question about the CD burner I wanna get...

The interface is ATAPI/E-IDE. That should work on my PC right? The CDROM already in the system has ATAPI. But wait, isn't the CDROM already taking the second slot on the IDE cable? Does that mean I would have to buy another IDE cable??

STOP THE PRESSES! Tokyo.....don't delete your HDD...

I finally got rid of the damn virus! How? Go to MrRant's Things you need for you PC thread. If you don't have updated AV software, go to the AV software called EZ Armor Suite. It comes with AV software and Firewall. Also, manually DL the latest AV updates for it. The version is 6.1.Once you DL all of that, install the software in Safe Mode, since this virus will try to either terminate or corrupt the installation under normal operation. Install the latest AV update. You will then be able to use the AV software. Start the scan, and as it goes through your PC, it will delete the registry keys associated with that virus, or ANY other viruses you may have. It will either delete or fixed infected files. If the files aren't deleted, just go to the directory it points to, and manually delete them. Once all of that is done, reboot normallly, and voila! The virus is gone!

I won't be needing to reformat. I will just let XP do all that when installing.