TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

New XBL Content

I know Midtown Madness 3 got stuff... check that out.

The two Splinter Cell maps that people got for pre-ordering Rainbow Six 3 are now available to the rest of us.

And in a surprise, there's YET more content for MechAssault... for $4.99 (3.60 pounds in the UK, $6-$7.50 in Canada). But it's got some new gametypes worth checking out.

Guest Kamui

ARGH. This is just yet another reason why Microsoft pisses me off- after the amount of time those of us who had MechAssault and X-Box Live at the start had to wait for the first free content upgrades, they actually have the nerve to charge for more? Give me a fucking break. I'm fine with content updates for newer games, but this is just BS. Great way to stab your fans in the back yet again, Microsoft.

-Duo

I could really care less about MA content anyway. (Considering there's no way to limit the mech weight-class in game, for one..and two, it pales to the PC Mechwarrior series.)

I've had far, far less problems with Microsoft than say..EA.

Guest Kamui

My general problem with M$ is simply that they don't care about me, as a system owner who doesn't like the three genres they peddle over and over again. They really haven't made enough of an effort to get some variety on their system- really, it's at the same type of level Nintendo's at, only with different genres, so I'm constantly surprised no one points this out when they're busy Gamecube-bashing. The only explanation I can come up with is that the genres the Cube lacks are the more popular American ones, while the X-Box has those genres and are instead lacking less popular ones (RPGs, fighting games, etc.)

But when X-Box Live came out, they generally promised us non-stop awesome content and all that kind of stuff for the year BEFORE they started charging. MA was supposed to be one of thosegames. "We'll have content out the day the game is out!" they would proclaim via IGN.

MONTHS later the content finally arrived, and by then the game was boring (it was already far less than I expected when it came out, but stay with me here). We got MUCH less free content then they initally advertised, and now they want me to pay them for new content? Fuck that, it should be free to make up for what they promised in the first place. It's bullshit like this whole ordeal that pisses me off when it comes to Microsoft, who again aren't exactly on my good side to begin with.

-Duo

ARGH. This is just yet another reason why Microsoft pisses me off- after the amount of time those of us who had MechAssault and X-Box Live at the start had to wait for the first free content upgrades, they actually have the nerve to charge for more? Give me a fucking break. I'm fine with content updates for newer games, but this is just BS. Great way to stab your fans in the back yet again, Microsoft.

-Duo

The game is old, be happy they're still making ANYTHING for it. They gave out free content when the game was new and still in it's life cycle. They could have just not made anything for the dwindling number of people still playing, you know?

My general problem with M$ is simply that they don't care about me, as a system owner who doesn't like the three genres they peddle over and over again. They really haven't made enough of an effort to get some variety on their system- really, it's at the same type of level Nintendo's at, only with different genres, so I'm constantly surprised no one points this out when they're busy Gamecube-bashing. The only explanation I can come up with is that the genres the Cube lacks are the more popular American ones, while the X-Box has those genres and are instead lacking less popular ones (RPGs, fighting games, etc.)

But when X-Box Live came out, they generally promised us non-stop awesome content and all that kind of stuff for the year BEFORE they started charging. MA was supposed to be one of thosegames. "We'll have content out the day the game is out!" they would proclaim via IGN.

MONTHS later the content finally arrived, and by then the game was boring (it was already far less than I expected when it came out, but stay with me here). We got MUCH less free content then they initally advertised, and now they want me to pay them for new content? Fuck that, it should be free to make up for what they promised in the first place. It's bullshit like this whole ordeal that pisses me off when it comes to Microsoft, who again aren't exactly on my good side to begin with.

-Duo

What the hell are you blabbing about. They promised us 12 free items. We got 17 free items.

You're just pissed because you don't have FIVE FREAKING DOLLARS.

Guest Kamui

JOTW- The fact that the game is old is something I would add TO my arguement, not AGAINST it. The people still playing do not include me, mind you, but they are the game's most dedicated fans who have stuck with it all this time. Making them pay for new content is akin to stabbing them in the back, especially with the amount of time they had to wait for ANY new content.

Thoth- Did you even READ my post? It's not a matter of whether or not I have "5 freaking dollars" (I do, believe you me)- I haven't played the game in many months, I wouldn't download this if it was free. The problem wasn't the AMOUNT of content they gave (although I am more than certain that EGM said 22, but hey, mistakes are made), either- it was the TIME they took to deliever any of it.

The fact is, after the amount of time MA die-hards had to wait for the first releases (hint: it was a LONG FUCKING TIME) there was no real point in making them charge for it nearly a year later. M$ just knew that the few die-hards who were left would pay, so they stabbed their own fanbase in the back and charged $5 a piece for what SHOULD be free after the decable MA fans had to go through when the game came out. No matter what you say, this is the truth.

-Duo

I don't care about Mechassault...

I just wanted to say that I don't think Xbox is at ALL in the same boat as GC in the lack of genres department.

KOTR and Morrowind are great RPGs.

They obviously have a ton of FPS (Halo), Action Games (GTA 3 and VC, BUFFY!!) and racing games (PGR2...buy it, it owns).

Plus...Crimson Skies is great (flying/shooting), and the only fighting game that they really lack is Virtua Fighter.

Now...compare that to Nintendo where the last game I bought was...Wind Waker.

Thoth- Did you even READ my post? It's not a matter of whether or not I have "5 freaking dollars" (I do, believe you me)- I haven't played the game in many months, I wouldn't download this if it was free. The problem wasn't the AMOUNT of content they gave (although I am more than certain that EGM said 22, but hey, mistakes are made), either- it was the TIME they took to deliever any of it.

The fact is, after the amount of time MA die-hards had to wait for the first releases (hint: it was a LONG FUCKING TIME) there was no real point in making them charge for it nearly a year later. M$ just knew that the few die-hards who were left would pay, so they stabbed their own fanbase in the back and charged $5 a piece for what SHOULD be free after the decable MA fans had to go through when the game came out. No matter what you say, this is the truth.

-Duo

Why SHOULD it be free?

I was in the same boat, delay after delay of the content. But the thing is, is that they released everything in packs, so that by the time the content came out, we were up to date with what the original plan should be. So basically, they were on time.

Secondly, no matter how mistreated you feel, M$ and Day 1 don't owe YOU jack. They never promised a thing. And a three month delay wasn't that big a deal. For god sakes, do something else while you wait for the content; you know it's coming.

Thirdly, it was delayed so much because it was buggy, and it had to be brought up to QA standards. Shit happens; 85% of software is delayed. (Source: WIRED)

Guest Kamui

I just wanted to say that I don't think Xbox is at ALL in the same boat as GC in the lack of genres department.

Tell that to the Japanese, who are into the genres that the X-Box doesn't represent well. AT ALL. And that's why the system sells 20 more consoles a week than the Wonderswan Color and 40 less than the PSONE.

Calling Morrowind a "great RPG" is being VERY nice- I'd rate it as average. And KOTR is a great AMERICAN-STYLE RPG, which isn't exactly what I'm into.

Playstation 2 has a ton of great RPGs. Gamecube has Wind Waker and a ton more top-notch ones coming out next year (Baiten Kaitos, FF: Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia). X-Box has True Fantasy Live Online and not much else (Fable? Still more American-style and I'll be sure to enjoy playing that while I'm flying around the sun, at the current rate it's going).

They obviously have a ton of FPS (Halo)

Of course. If you like FPSes, buy an X-Box.

Action Games (GTA 3 and VC, BUFFY!!)

GTA isn't a real classic kind of action game, and it's been out for the PS2 forever. Buffy's a fun beat-em-up. But the Cube has plenty here too, and it's got the sub-genre of action/adventure, survival horror, covered, which X-Box has none.

and racing games (PGR2...buy it, it owns).

Cube has the alternative angle of racing games covered very well- I've enjoyed F-Zero GX and now Mario Kart: Double Dash!! more than any traditional racing game this year. I've yet to try PGR2 but I'm not much of a traditional racing fan.

Plus...Crimson Skies is great (flying/shooting), and the only fighting game that they really lack is Virtua Fighter.

Crimson Skies is okay, but I think kinda overrated, and they're about even with the Cube when it comes to fighting games (both lacking behind PS2). Soul Calibur II and Capcom vs. SNK 2, the only good fighting games available for both systems, are ON BOTH SYSTEMS. So yeah.

Meanwhile, Cube has X-Box beat when it comes to party games (Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Party series, and now Mario Kart), adventure games (SUNSHINE WAS GOOD, DAMNIT~!!!), and weird, interesting stuff (Animal Crossing). Thus, I say they're even, and it depends on what genres you like.

The last X-Box game I bought was PSO Episode 1 & 2 this past year, I haven't played this system in many, many months.

Meanwhile, for Gamecube I've had a steady sream of games. Not as much as the PS2, mind you, but just an example- in August I bought F-Zero GX, in September I got Wrestlemania XIX and Mario Golf, and I got Mario Kart: Double Dash!! this month.

Sure, it's not the same amount of games I got for PS2, but about a game-a-month is better than once-every-five-months, like with X-Box. So it really depends on what genres you like (like I've been saying forever now).

-Duo

X-Box has True Fantasy Live Online and not much else (Fable? Still more American-style and I'll be sure to enjoy playing that while I'm flying around the sun, at the current rate it's going).

-Duo

You forget Sudeki, my friend. And if you don't know about Sudeki, I'll hit ya. It looks good.

Guest Kamui
X-Box has True Fantasy Live Online and not much else (Fable? Still more American-style and I'll be sure to enjoy playing that while I'm flying around the sun, at the current rate it's going).

-Duo

You forget Sudeki, my friend. And if you don't know about Sudeki, I'll hit ya. It looks good.

Okay, true, but still. Does anyone honestly think Sudeki and TFLO will be better than Baiten Katos? Becaues if they do, they deserve to be BEATEN, that's what they deserve!

-Duo

-Duo

Okay, true, but still. Does anyone honestly think Sudeki and TFLO will be better than Baiten Katos? Becaues if they do, they deserve to be BEATEN, that's what they deserve!

-Duo

Baiten Katos? :huh:

...man, now I need to be smacked. Explain.

JOTW- The fact that the game is old is something I would add TO my arguement, not AGAINST it. The people still playing do not include me, mind you, but they are the game's most dedicated fans who have stuck with it all this time. Making them pay for new content is akin to stabbing them in the back, especially with the amount of time they had to wait for ANY new content.

Most games don't get this kind of content from developers. I wish StarCraft was still getting the support WarCraft III is (new maps released regularly, for instance), but it's not so. I'd also rather pay $5 for the download than pay $40 for the "sequel" which looks and plays like the same game with a couple new game modes.

Nobody got it in the shorts from this. They gave more content for free than any XBL game I can think of.

Tell that to the Japanese, who are into the genres that the X-Box doesn't represent well. AT ALL. And that's why the system sells 20 more consoles a week than the Wonderswan Color and 40 less than the PSONE.

Oh god. Here we go again.

Just because the Japanese don't like the games doesn't mean the games are not good. These people buy dating sims like crazy, which should give you an idea that perhaps they aren't exactly the judge of what constitutes a good game either. The reason it doesn't have so much support over there is because they seem to be very picky about liking games that are, well, very Japanese and anime-influenced. Just because a game fits that profile, doesn't make it good (Xenosaga), and just because a game doesn't fit that profile, doesn't make it bad (KOTOR.)

And Capcom VS SNK 2 is best on Xbox because A: They fixed the glitches and balanced the characters a bit, and B: It's online.

And if you try to tell me Blanka still owns that game, I'll play Vice and own him.

Yes they are right. The Japanese aren't the end all be all of gaming. I love anime and Anime style RPG's but I also love GTA and KOTR. Those are good games and they aren't made by the Japanese. Just because it didn't come out of Japan doesn't mean it's sub-par or holds no comparison.

And fact is I think the X-Box is a great system. I play it more than my GC and PS2 put together. Just because a bunch of people in Japan don't like it doesn't make one bit of difference.

Guest Kamui
Oh god. Here we go again.

Yes, here we go again- I DIDN'T SAY THE JAPANESE WERE THE BE ALL, END ALL. God. For the ninteenth million time- my only point was that the X-Box doesn't have those genres covered, and those are the genres I like. READ my ENTIRE post before jumping all over one little portion with your preconceptions.

And I happened to love Xenosaga and I'm not at all interested in LOTOR, so again, it's all subjective. What you can't subjectivley say, however, is that X-Box does have any of these genres covered- simply put, they don't.

Thoth- I agree, I bought the X-Box version of that game. All I was saying was that a slightly better port does not make dominance over the other system- the Gamecube version can hold up just fine in Capcom vs. SNK 2, and they're practically the same when it comes to the other big fighter in Soul Calibur II (you can talk about slight graphical and audio differences all you want, but compare the very tiny X-Box to Gamecube drop-off to the HUGE drop-off in quality from those two versions to the PS2 one. Not to mention Link > Spawn, but that should go without saying).

Mighty man- Again, read my entire posts, not just one part of it. *sigh*

VS- Baiten Katios is the lastest RPG from the Xenosaga team (plus a bit of help from outside sources- read up yourself, it's worth it), exclusivley for Gamecube and due out next year. You really need to search online and read up on this game, because so far it's shaping up to be a revolutionary title.

-Duo

And I happened to love Xenosaga

Awesome. I'll remember to make a game where you sit and watch while I read out of Thus Spake Zarathustra for an hour. At least someone'll buy it. Alright, maybe not.

and I'm not at all interested in LOTOR, so again, it's all subjective

The thing is, I don't understand exactly what it is that isn't "there" for you.

So you like turn-based RPGs? You may not have noticed this, but KOTOR *IS* a turn-based RPG. The action looks like a battle going on in real time, but as you input commands (special attacks, item use, etc) they happen as turns. The attacking animations you see is simply the default attack command, which repeats itself unless you tell it to do something else.

People who don't like Star Wars like KOTOR (you don't really need to know more than the average person about Star Wars either because it takes place so early in the universe), even people who don't like RPGs like KOTOR. It's a great gameplay experience you won't give a fair chance.

And Capcom VS SNK 2 is best on Xbox because A: They fixed the glitches and balanced the characters a bit, and B: It's online.

Like how? I'm guessing that means no roll canceling but what else?

Guest Kamui

What I care most about when it comes to an RPG is the story, and simply put from what I've read on it KOTOR's story doesn't appeal to me. Nevermind the generic art style.

-Duo

Roll cancelling was the only glitch fixed, actually. I don't think there are any other glaring ones.

You have a point that the GCN abd Xbox versions of CvS 2 are only separated by online play.

And the Xbox and GCN versions of SC2 do indeed look very close. But I think Link is fucking broken. Same for Spawn, but I think he's less broken. I like playing Heihachi most of all... but that's on PS2. DAMN NAMCO.

RPG's: Playing FFX-2 right now. Dominating my mind. Looking desperately forward to Star Ocean 3. Both of those are PS2 games. Want to play Fable, want to learn more about Sudeki. Hoping True Live Fantasy Online doesn't have an additional monthly fee. Hating Phantasy Star Online with every bone in my body.

Pretty much every system has what they're good at. You pick the system that's right for your playing needs. If you like everything then you do what I did...buy all 3. :)

Guest MikeSC

So the Japanese have weird tastes and --- let's not forget this --- a possible bias AGAINST NON-JAPANESE SYSTEMS. It's not a stretch to assume this.

The Japanese buy friggin' TRAIN SIMULATORS, the single more boring genre of game I've ever tried in my life (I haven't tried date sims, thank God). The Japanese are as fond of unmitigated crap as Americans are.

Calling Morrowind a "great RPG" is being VERY nice- I'd rate it as average. And KOTR is a great AMERICAN-STYLE RPG, which isn't exactly what I'm into.

So be it. KOTOR is better than any game I've played on GC. Heck, I'm PRAYING for GC to actually develop good games as the ONLY one out there I think that looks good is F-Zero. I've never liked the Mario Kart games whatsoever.

Playstation 2 has a ton of great RPGs. Gamecube has Wind Waker and a ton more top-notch ones coming out next year (Baiten Kaitos, FF: Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia). X-Box has True Fantasy Live Online and not much else (Fable? Still more American-style and I'll be sure to enjoy playing that while I'm flying around the sun, at the current rate it's going).

Thing is, Morrowind and KOTOR are out and we KNOW that they are good. The GC has "potentially" good games --- but potential means squat.

They obviously have a ton of FPS (Halo)

Of course. If you like FPSes, buy an X-Box.

Action Games (GTA 3 and VC, BUFFY!!)

GTA isn't a real classic kind of action game, and it's been out for the PS2 forever. Buffy's a fun beat-em-up. But the Cube has plenty here too, and it's got the sub-genre of action/adventure, survival horror, covered, which X-Box has none.

Survival horror? The genre is dead and drawing flies at this point. And what action-adventure games does GC have that other consoles don't?

and racing games (PGR2...buy it, it owns).

Cube has the alternative angle of racing games covered very well- I've enjoyed F-Zero GX and now Mario Kart: Double Dash!! more than any traditional racing game this year. I've yet to try PGR2 but I'm not much of a traditional racing fan.

So be it. I, as a rule, don't like racing games --- but NFS: Underground is one sweet title.

Crimson Skies is okay, but I think kinda overrated, and they're about even with the Cube when it comes to fighting games (both lacking behind PS2). Soul Calibur II and Capcom vs. SNK 2, the only good fighting games available for both systems, are ON BOTH SYSTEMS. So yeah.

Does GC have good fighters? The controller is not terribly good for fighters.

Meanwhile, Cube has X-Box beat when it comes to party games (Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Party series, and now Mario Kart), adventure games (SUNSHINE WAS GOOD, DAMNIT~!!!), and weird, interesting stuff (Animal Crossing). Thus, I say they're even, and it depends on what genres you like.

X-Box has better party games? Honestly, Mario Party has been horrible since its onset. Absolutely unplayable. Fuzion Frenzy --- which sucks --- is a better title. GC has them with Smash Bros. Melee --- but since there are so few GC titles out there, XB is not in bad shape.

The last X-Box game I bought was PSO Episode 1 & 2 this past year, I haven't played this system in many, many months.

Then you missed out on some darned good titles.

-=Mike

Guest Kamui

So the Japanese have weird tastes and --- let's not forget this --- a possible bias AGAINST NON-JAPANESE SYSTEMS. It's not a stretch to assume this.

The Japanese buy friggin' TRAIN SIMULATORS, the single more boring genre of game I've ever tried in my life (I haven't tried date sims, thank God). The Japanese are as fond of unmitigated crap as Americans are.

What's that, self? Another moron missed the entire point of the Japanese example? Color me surprised!

So be it. KOTOR is better than any game I've played on GC. Heck, I'm PRAYING for GC to actually develop good games as the ONLY one out there I think that looks good is F-Zero. I've never liked the Mario Kart games whatsoever.

I haven't played KOTOR, so I can't comment, but holy fuck....comparing a PC-style RPG to a futuristic racing game and a KART RACING games is pretty stupid, and proves nothing.

Thing is, Morrowind and KOTOR are out and we KNOW that they are good. The GC has "potentially" good games --- but potential means squat.

No, see, this is something we call "opinion". I find Morrowind to be another boring piece of generic PC RPG tripe, and KOTOR doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Meanwhile, Baiten Kaitos is developed by the same people who made one of my favorite RPGs (Xenosaga). Does past experience mean squat too?

Survival horror? The genre is dead and drawing flies at this point. And what action-adventure games does GC have that other consoles don't?

If anything can revive it, Resident Evil 4 can. Meanwhile, Eternal Darkness was HORRIBLY underrated, one of my all-time favorite games. And gee, that was a Nintendo game. OMG THEY'RE SO KIDDY~!!!

And what action-adventure games do Nintendo have that other consoles don't? Gee, let's try LoZ: Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and the Sonic Adventure games (granted, Dreamcast has these, but still, no current generation) and that's just off the top of my head. Name any one action-adventure game on X-Box that can even come CLOSE to matching the quality of these games, and I'm sure you'll come up with a blank. Which is fine, because as my original point was, this is a genre the Cube excells in that the X-Box doesn't, just like you can list a million great FPSes that top anything the Cube has in the genre. See?

So be it. I, as a rule, don't like racing games --- but NFS: Underground is one sweet title.

NFS Underground is available on all three systems, and the PS2 version is suprerior to the X-Box and Gamecube versions because of the online play anyway.

Does GC have good fighters? The controller is not terribly good for fighters.

Neither is the X-Box's, in my opinion, but I use fighting sticks anyway so I don't care. And as I said earlier, the two systems are even when it comes to fighters- neither one touches the PS2 anyway, though.

X-Box has better party games? Honestly, Mario Party has been horrible since its onset. Absolutely unplayable.

Oh man, I've go to go round up everyone I've ever played Mario Party with since the first game came out for the N64 and let them all know that all the fun we had WASN'T REAL, because some guy on a message board said it was absolutley unplayable! Not just unplayable, mind you, but ABSOLUTLEY UNPLAYABLE!

Fuzion Frenzy --- which sucks

The first accurate thing you've said in this entire post!

--- is a better title.

Damn, guess you couldn't get a streak going on that accurate statement thing.

GC has them with Smash Bros. Melee --- but since there are so few GC titles out there, XB is not in bad shape.

Name one party game for the X-Box that doesn't suck. Hint: There aren't any. So, uh, that kinda means the Cube excells in that genre, smart guy. What that has to do with the amount of titles on either system is beyond me.

Then you missed out on some darned good titles.

No, because I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE GENRES THESE TITLES ARE BEING RELEASED FOR.

God. How many times do I have to repeat myself to people who can't seem to figure out what these posts are saying? I'M NOT SAYING THE X-BOX IS A HORRIBLE SYSTEM. The point I was trying to make is that both the X-Box and the Gamecube have genres they excell in and genres they absolutley suck in- the PS2 is the only truely well-rounded system. And then, I said that I personally prefer the Gamecube because the genres they excell in are the ones I like.

NOT because Japan doesn't like it (I used this example to back up my statement of the X-Box being weak in key genres- because these are the genres that appeal to Japanese gamers, and the system sells so horribly over there), NOT because the system is horrible, etc., etc.

-Duo

I'll be repeating myself until THE END OF TIME~!!! at this rate.

NFS Underground is available on all three systems, and the PS2 version is suprerior to the X-Box and Gamecube versions because of the online play anyway.

That would be EA's fault.

Guest Kamui
a PC-style RPG

I still don't think you really know what you're talking about.

PSO has far more in common with Diablo and other PC kin than KOTOR.

Not that kind of PC RPG, sure, but is this not the same developer who made a ton of PC RPGs? There's more than one type....again, I'm not knowledgable on the subject since I've never played PC games in my life, but I clearly remember reading that the game was developed by famous PC RPG developers and the game felt like a PC RPG- and that's what turned me off on the game and made me decide not to bother with it when I had many other games I already wanted to play. So blame it on that reviewer I guess. /shrug

If what you're saying is true, I probably will rent it myself the next time there's nothing new out that I want to play, just so I can say I tried it, but I can tell you already that the Star Wars licsense is already a huge turn-off. I've always found the entire universe to be very hokey and uncool.

-Duo