TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The Most Underrated Match of 2003

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
NOBODY remembers this match it seems...Rock vs. Hurricane, No DQ on Raw back in March of this year. I watched it the other day and it actually was really enjoyable and I still got into it near the end (after the chokeslam).

No classic, but people don't even mention it anymore.

Edit: And to those who are saying Steiner/HHH was underrated...HA HA HA. Please. We are talking about good matches that doesn't get as much love as they should...not matches that should get more love because they are total disasters.

I loved those Rock/Hurricane segments and the match was pretty good. I wish I knew where I kept the tapes with theem on.

"The Scorpion Kings got a tiny ding-a-ling!" (Rock looks shocked as hell)

I thought the Rock/Hurricane match wasn't very good. Bored me with a long rest hold and an edning which did nothing for Hurricane.

Speaking of Hurricane,

Hurricane had a fun 5 minute match with Flair where Flair wrestled in street clothes.

Plus HHH/Hurricane was better than Rock/Hurricane and featured this years funniest moment: Flair taking a little kid's Hurricane mask and stomping it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I thought the Rock/Hurricane match wasn't very good. Bored me with a long rest hold and an edning which did nothing for Hurricane.

Speaking of Hurricane,

Hurricane had a fun 5 minute match with Flair where Flair wrestled in street clothes.

Plus HHH/Hurricane was better than Rock/Hurricane and featured this years funniest moment: Flair taking a little kid's Hurricane mask and stomping it.

Not as funny as Flair knee dropping....NOTHING in 2002. ::Bounces off ropes, knee drops the mat:::

Nevermind, it was funnier.

Guest JumpinJackFlash
And to get back on topic, that Filthy Animals/TWGTT match shown on the day of the blackout was AWESOME.

Too bad quite a number of people missed it. Due to, y'know, no power and all.

Well, I missed the Iron Man match due to that bitch, Isabel. And the local affiliate didn't re-air it that Saturday. :bonk:

Not as funny as Flair knee dropping....NOTHING in 2002. ::Bounces off ropes, knee drops the mat:::

Nevermind, it was funnier.

I used to always love paranoid Flair in WCW.

*"Whoooooooooooooooo!" Elbow drops mat three times

"Whoooooooooooooo!" rips off shit and bounces off the ropes and struts

"Whoooooooo!" elbow drops the mat again*

Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Rhyno vs. Tajiri from SummerSlam '03, definitely an entertaining 4-Way match. Everyone hit their marks and the crowd responded more to the match than almost anything else on the show.

I rewatched that match this afternoon and it was so much better than I remembered it. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the match despite already having seen it and knowing that Guerrero was going over. I say that alone makes it a classic match.

I have a hard time loving that summerslam 4 way when the Eddie/Benoit/Edge/Angle one from Smackdown before Armageddon '02 blows it away (sure it was in 2002, but I'm discussing the principle).

Benoit/Rhyno tag matches from when they were both faces and Rhyno was hot of his big return were far better than that. When Rhyno turned heel, his matches went down along with his push, and, IMO, that one was no exception. noot bad by any means, but not very good considering its short length and bland feel. We'd seen all that, just separate.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

I don't know if any of you guys have ever noticed it, but when I rewatch what I know was/is a great match, it seems shorter and not as great, although it is highly enjoyable to watch.

I noticed this when I watched Shawn Michaels VS Chris Jericho at WrestleMania XIX yesterday. Terrific match, has to be a 'Match of the Year' contender.

Guest unleashedfury

Brock Lesnar/Big Show Streatcher match @Judgment Day was better and MUCH more fun than any Brock/Angle match.But yet it doesn't get the treatment it deserves because it doesn't envolve any of the smarks darlings.

I don't see how it was any good. The first half made me want to stick a screwdriver into my temple it was so boring. Sure, there was an exciting ending, but that alone doesn't make the match good.

The most underrated match in my opinion was Rey and Matt from Smackdown. A brilliant match that didn't follow the usual spotty style.

Guest Memphis
2. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker -No Mercy

I still think this is a *** 3/4 match. It got a lot of love the night of the PPV and the next day everyone was shitting on it. Whatever.

I agree with you, ZsasZ.

Everybody was marking out like crazy for Lucha-Taker the night of the show, and I was *really* caught up in the drama of the match.

Fuck what Meltz or Keith says, that shit owned.

UYI

Keith didn't review the show.

Actually, he did a mini-review, with star ratings, on his Blog site.

Which, I am sure, is certainly what Mr. Illusion was referring to.

M

I just had to add a couple of matches that were forgotten. As I was watching Raw last night they showed clips of the Chicago Street Fight between Victoria and Trish and I remember liking that when I first saw it. Lots of womens matches were underrated this year like Trish/Lita vs Gail/Molly on Raw and the three way from Wrestlemania. I'll also say every tag match that Spanky and Paul London have had on Velocity and also their was a good Chavo/Tajiri match on Velocity from January I think. When Spanky had his brief Velocity gimmick where he would wear a mask and have the same name as the sport team in the city they were in, he and Funaki had a fun match. One more is a pretty good American Dragon/Jamie Noble match from Velocity.

Triple H vs Scott Steiner, Royal Rumble. Way better than we claim.

Their No Way Out rematch blew it out of the water. At least, Steiner didn't do 12 suplexes again.

2. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker -No Mercy

I still think this is a *** 3/4 match. It got a lot of love the night of the PPV and the next day everyone was shitting on it. Whatever.

I thought it was a good match overall, just covered with a shitty stipulation.

Here's a forgotten one: Ultimo Dragon Vs. Kanyon, The Sunday Night Heat just before Vengeance. Just good stuff watching it as both men took turns gaining control of the match. Its a true shame they didn't put it on the DVD. I loved it. :headbang:

To add two more matches, in which barely any of us (even myself) were expecting anything good:

Austin/Rock III-- The best match at WM 19 because it was booked very well.

Angle/Cena (NM)-- The horrible buildup aside, both guys really put on a nice match, with no blown spots, a fluid pace, a HOT crowd, and an understandable finish.

Lesnar vs Show from Judgment Day was better than the reception it got, especially considering who was in it.

I enjoyed Big Show vs Undertaker from No Way Out a lot more than seemingly anyone else here for some reason. The funny thing is, rewatching it...I still enjoyed it, but I'm not too sure why. :D

There was the three on one with Angle vs Show and TWGGT pre Vengeance(?), which is one of the few times Angle has been booked to look like a star.

Guerreros/TWGGT from Backlash doesn't get as much love as it deserves.

Orton/Michaels wasn't bad.

Cena vs Angle from No Mercy was a very enjoyable match

And Cena/Lesnar from Backlash is nowhere near as bad as most people say.

Another one is the Rico/Jackie vs Jericho/Trish match on a Raw from a month ago. Jackie did blow some spots, but the Rico/Jericho parts were great.

Guest Besus

King, I liked Taker/Show from No Way Out.I said so in the Rank 2003 PPV's Thread I think,The match was good.

Brock/Cena from Backlash was hmm let me see I forgot.Im about to watch it again now to see if sucked like so many say it did.

Brock/Cena from Backlash was hmm let me see I forgot.Im about to watch it again now to see if sucked like so many say it did.

That match was decent, but the main thing I hated about it was that Cena did a nearly 3 minute long chinlock that bored the hell out of me.

I was drunk off my ass when I watched the Steiner-HHH Rumble match the first time and thought it was absolutely horrible. The next day, I watched it again. That time, I had sobered up, but the match still blew.

And as for my pick for an underrated match, I didn't think the Hogan-McMahon match at WM was THAT horrible. Certainly wasn't a good WRESTLING match, but as a sports entertainment segment, it was 10x more entertaining than I thought it would be.

The Benoit/A-Train series of matches were overlooked by many. Benoit bumped like a freak and made Trains offense look deadly, Train took the rolling germans like a man and they worked the big man/little man match very well (ie. Benoit ducking to avoid Trains punches and rolling to avoid the bicycle kick). Benoit using the top rope for leverage to push Train back into the crossface was great.

Guest Monday Night Jericho

I would also say the Benoit/Train series were underrated, their match at No Mercy was imo by far the best match of the night that had good psychology from their previous bouts which led to a smart finish. Very stiff for a WWE match, too.

Another is Lesnar/A-Train before Backlash. Much better than Cena/Brock at the PPV.

I really didn't like the Cena/Taker match though. The offence from Cena was really damn boring and the rib work led no-where.

Guest Besus

Taker's return match against A-Train is underrated.

Anyone here like the Beniot/Edge vs Team Angle series?

Big Show/TWGTT vs Lesnar is underrated.