TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Weird workplace situation

*The names in this post have been changed because I don't want C-Bacon or anybody else in the Mississauga/Toronto area to find out who's doing what*

So my entire store just went into hormonal overdrive. In the past month there have been 4 seperate sexual incidents in the past month involving four different employees. Three of them do not affect me and I cannot do anything about. One of them I am involved in, but not in a serious way.

I found out that a month ago, George slept with Mary. Now, George and Mary are both just cashiers and do not have any kind of authority over one another. Then, two weeks later, when George was half-passed out on his bed, Mary fucked him again. George doesn't remember much of what happened.

Then, last Saturday, George made out with Susan, who is brand-new to the store. On the same night, Mary took Mike home and they fooled around at her place. Here's where it gets a bit odd: Mike is a supervisor like me and is in a position of power over Mary.

So now here I am, totally aware that a company policy has been broken and that a shift leader has fooled around with somebody that is under him in the company. The problem? Mike is one of my best friends and I don't want to say anything. But also, at the same time, if my boss were to find out that I knew about this beforehand and didn't say anything, it may very well be my ass in a sling.

I'm also aware that my boss warned George before we hired the new people about fooling around with him, as it's a well-known fact in our store that George is a slave to his cock and can't control who he fucks. I'm pretty sure that my manager would not be too pleased if he found out that George violated their agreement by making out with Susan on her third shift.

So here's where I stand: If I tell my boss about George, he'll more then likely get in some pretty deep shit. If I tell my boss about Mike he'll either get demoted or fired. If I do nothing, maybe nothing happens. But if my boss finds out that I knew about all this and did nothing, I may be fucked.

As of right now I'm doing nothing and waiting it out. Our company has an Employee Help Line that is run by an outside company and is 100% confedential so if things get bad I may try it.

Oh, and I found out about all of this through my best friend/assistant manager so it's not just me who may get fucked over if the boss finds out.

Its not like you work for the CIA where lives may be on the line by them fucking around. Ignore it, pretend you know nothing about it, prepare your story in case shit goes down and carry on. You don't rat out a friend when you are at a job that will mean nothing when you become an adult.

Uh, I can see why you'd make the assumption that I'm a child because I still work at a video store, but I'm actually 20 and quite aware of the adult consequences of my actions. I've had the job for 4 years and it means quite a bit to me.

I've already got my story prepared, but the main problem is that lives WILL be on the line if my boss finds out, mainly because of two things.

1) My boss is a by-the-book corporate pussy who will do anything that his boss tells him to do.

2) His boss is an uptight moron who doesn't approve of employees being friends with each other. Hell, he basically has told me before that he'd rather that the "Management Team" (manager, assistant, two supervisors) hang out on our own and not do anything with the staff.

Normally I wouldn't give a shit about this because it's happened at places I've worked before, but I know how stupid these people (my boss and his boss) are and I know how they'll react if they find out.

First off my apologies for making your job and age sound unimportant. I didn't mean it in an offensive way. What I meant was that this may not be where you see yourself forever yet your friendship with your friend hopefully will be. Your boss sounds like an ass so throwing away a friendship over this moron doesn't sound right. You should definately tell these people to keep their private business private and that anything that happens at work in your presence may require you to report.

No worries bro, I wasn't pissed off but thanks for apologizing.

The only situation I think in which I'm "required" say something is with the Mary/Mike situation, but I'm also told that they didn't have sex, just messed around and stuff so I'm not sure if have to say anything.

For the most part I just think it's weird. I'm fully aware that I've talked my fair share of shit in the past about nailing my co-workers, but it's generally an unwritten rule that you don't nail your co-workers, especially ones that you are in a position of power over.

it's generally an unwritten rule that you don't nail your co-workers, especially ones that you are in a position of power over.

Very true, in major corporations and government jobs. Retail jobs, fast-food restaurants, etc, where for most workers it is their first job or close to it, are meant for having fun, hooking up, etc. You will still see stuff like this in high paying jobs, but they have things like family and careers on the line. You're young. Have fun and quit stressing over it.

Weren't you the one that had a previous thread about chick co-workers flirting with you while on the job?

Can it be proven you knew what was going on? If not, then I'd keep my mouth shut until one of these chicks get mad and decides to rat someone out and then just play dumb.

Or play the Bill Clinton defense -- you think your friend's behavior was horrible, but he's doing a good job (if in fact he is) when it comes to work...

*The names in this post have been changed because I don't want C-Bacon or anybody else in the Mississauga/Toronto area to find out who's doing what*

God dammit. Looks it's time to break out the old detective kit!

Personally, i'd carry on as usual and let the pieces fall where they may. It makes for good workplace drama. I wouldn't worry about the boss finding out unless you have substantial reason to believe he may, if so say nothing until questioned.

I'd keep my mouth shut. If you get busted for the fact that you knew and didn't say anything, just say that all you knew was "office rumors" and didn't want to stir the pot over something that may or may not be true.

Weren't you the one that had a previous thread about chick co-workers flirting with you while on the job?

Can it be proven you knew what was going on? If not, then I'd keep my mouth shut until one of these chicks get mad and decides to rat someone out and then just play dumb.

Or play the Bill Clinton defense -- you think your friend's behavior was horrible, but he's doing a good job (if in fact he is) when it comes to work...

See my "I know I've talked a lot of shit" line.

In my defence, my situation was a tad different because the girl was leaving the company and I wasn't yet in a position of power over her. My promotion happened after she left the store.

Guest stardust

Don't say anything just yet (or at all). Old Navy/GAP Inc has a policy that managers and supervisors aren't supposed to fraternize with sales associates, so I know how that goes. Granted, most managers aren't stupid enough to think that supervisors or other managers wouldn't be getting horizontal with sales associates. It happens.

Actually, knowing him, he would. But I can't say for sure.

UPDATE

Last night myself and my assistant were outside his apartment having an herbal cigarette when George calls and asks my assistants advice on whether or not he should go out with the new girl. I personally don't care but I know right now that it is doomed to fail if they do in fact decide to date.

I also found out that Mary does not know that both George and Mike have told the rest of us that they messed around with her, so right now she's probably thinking that she's hot shit because she's slept with a guy at work twice and messed around with another one and nobody knows. This is actually kinda significant, as Mary has trust issues with men in her life so when she finds out that the two guys have blabbed about it, things may get interesting........

Edited by Lord of The Curry

Don't say anything unless you have to. I been in that position myself. I was a supervisor at a "Grossmans Bargain Outlet" and I dated one of the cashiers for two months and had a drunken one night stand with another at a friends house after the first Lewis/Hollyfield fight and nothing ever came from it.

These things usually just play out. Stop watching those new employee "sexual harassment" video's and getting yourself paranoid.

Don't say anything unless you have to. I been in that position myself. I was a supervisor at a "Grossmans Bargain Outlet" and I dated one of the cashiers for two months and had a drunken one night stand with another at a friends house after the first Lewis/Hollyfield fight and nothing ever came from it.

These things usually just play out. Stop watching those new employee "sexual harassment" video's and getting yourself paranoid.

Wait.........there are VIDEOS for this type of shit?!

Well, most retail stores around here make you watch those "new employee" video's before you even get on the floor. Comes with the paper work. The sexual harassment tape usually covers this stuff because all it takes is the girl, or guy, to say they were sexually harassed on the job to get the law suits flying. Relationship or not. Which is why most stores look down on employee relations.

UPDATE

So Mary has a huge crush on Mike after their little romp the other week and Mike and wants to date him now, which he is totally against. Now Mike has to break it to her that there is no chance in hell of that happening.

Say it with me now.......K-A-R-M-A.

Send in an anonymous letter, clipping letters from magazine and newspaper headlines to form your words. Added points if your boss thinks it's a bomb threat or ransom note.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

His masterpiece was the forged false positive AIDS test results, this idea pales in comparison. I'm still failing to see the issue with this one.