TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

I Must Apologize: No 12/4 Diatribe

Everyone,

Ever since I took on the task of reviewing TNA over a year ago, I've come to really enjoy it. Even when the product is bad, just knowing that my words are affecting other people and is being read by thousands is enough to keep me going.

As many of you know, living in The Bronx, my cable system is Cablevision, which I hate with a passion since they have a tendency to screw over the customers. For example, over 3 million Bronx residents weren't able to watch their New York Yankees in 2002 because Cablevision couldn't work out a deal with the YES Network, causing tons of people to switch to satellite cable.

Last October, four months since TNA started, Cablevision was one of the last PPV companies in the U.S. to start broadcasting TNA. Prior to that, I was traveling every Wednesday to my friend Jose's house in Harlem to order and tape the show, to come home and review it. However, Jose took up a job offer out of the state and that no longer became an option, so thankfully, Cablevision picked it up a few weeks later and I began to review the shows weekly without having to go through a lot of hassle to watch them.

Then, sometime during the summer, with Cablevision introducing their new digital cable boxes a few months back, they decided to try and "persuade" those with analog boxes to switch to digital cable by taking away some of their options, such as PPV ordering capabilities. Basically, what that means is illegal cable box or not, if you don't have the digital cable boxes, you can't order any PPV's. Now, since I'm not in charge of making decisions in this household, it's not my call to say "well, lets get digital cable then". Basically, I brought up the suggestion and I was turned down because of the added expense, amongst other reasons. This lead me to work out a deal with TSM Forum member and 411 Writer Bob Barron.

Bob goes to school in Toronto as many of you know, but lives in NYC during the summer time. Our arrangement was simple. He would tape the shows for me on Wednesday night, we'd meet up sometime on Thursday and I'd review the tape that night. Although I didn't pay him $10 every time we met up, I would pay him in lump sums so I wasn't screwing him out of anything. I knew this arrangement would have to come to an end when Bob went back to school in September, so I was dreading the end of the summertime as I'd really gotten into a groove and I'm now posting in TNA Diatribes on a few sites, such as Online Onslaught, Wrestling Headlines (Lords of Pain) and various wrestling message boards. Luckily, I was able to find another source.

It turns out that my best friend had JUST gotten digital cable the week that Barron went back to school, so all seemed to be going well. Not only would I be able to watch TNA that Wednesday night, but that meant that my review would be going up earlier, which equals more reads. However, a new arrangement would have to be made with my best friends father, since I'd be ordering PPV and putting an extra 40 bucks on his cable bill. We struck an agreement that I'd pay for any TNA PPV's I ordered whenever the bill came.

Things haven't exactly gone smoothly with his father and I, but for the most part, everything has worked out to a point. Then, a couple of weeks ago, his cable bill came in at a whopping 500 dollars.

Now...I KNOW that I sure as hell didn't do it and judging from the times everything was ordered, it was clear that it was an error on Cablevision's fault. Calls were placed and Cablevision denied any problems and blamed it on the family, of course, being the fucking jerks that they are. Anyway, it was made perfectly clear to them that we were NOT the ones responsible as the PPV was actually ordering ITSELF somehow...which happened while they were on the line with customer service.

Now, if you were Cablevision, what would you do? Fix it all, right?

So, I head over today to tape TNA, thinking that everything has been fixed with the cable. Boy, was I wrong. Cablevision blocked all of the channels that can cause charges (PPV's, In Demand Channels, etc) until this matter can be resolved and my best friends father is STILL being charged the 500 bucks. Obviously, until this matter is resolved, I don't think I'll be able to tape TNA there and right now, I don't have any other options.

I can't wait until I'm able to move out to my own place so I don't have to depend on anyone else for this.

I'm really sorry. I genuinely enjoy reviewing shows, so not being dependable on writing them for you all legitimately bothers me. I've traveled through harsh weather and was planning on trekking through the snow when it starts to come down just to make sure that I'm able to see the show for you guys. This is something that I truly enjoy. I hope this doesn't cost me my spot on the other sites, but I can understand it if it does.

I'll still be writing PPV Diatribes for WWE and Raw Diatribes and actually, this is one of the reasons why I've began to review Raw. Not only did we here at TSM need a new Raw recapper, but I figured that incase something like this would happen with TNA, I'd have something to fall back onto.

I hope you'll all continue to read Dames' Diatribes...I just hope that I'm able to review TNA again sometime soon.

Dames

I'll still be writing PPV Diatribes for WWE and Raw Diatribes and actually, this is one of the reasons why I've began to review Raw. Not only did we here at TSM need a new Raw recapper, but I figured that incase something like this would happen with TNA, I'd have something to fall back onto.

I hope you'll all continue to read Dames' Diatribes...I just hope that I'm able to review TNA again sometime soon

Thankfully, your Diatribes continue with RAW and PPV.

Honestly, don't sweat it, Dames. The fact that you covered TNA even through its darkest times, for the SOLE reason that readers would be turned on to the product through your recaps, shows how little you really "owe" to us.

Keep up the good work - no matter what you're covering.

Thank you Bravesfan.

As a matter of fact, I neglected to mention that ever since Cablevision took away the PPV Ordering Capabilities, ironically enough, the only thing that we CAN get are the WWE PPV's. They must be a big source of income for Cablevision so they've allowed those with analog boxes to "keep" it by having it share a channel with the Health Channel.

Basically, on PPV nights, The Health Channel turns into the PPV channel for 6 hours, including the 3 hours for the replay. This is the only reason I'm even able to get the WWE PPV's. There have been a couple of times in the past where the PPV didn't even come in on time.

Survivor Series as well as No Mercy came in an hour late for some reason, so I freaked out thinking that I wouldn't be able to review anything. Not only that, but it forced me to tape the replay, delaying my review even further as I try to get it done the same night.

Dames

Guest Dynamite Kido

Well, Dames thanks for your trouble. I'll be happy if you can continue doing them at all. Thanks for doing it anyways. They are entertaining as always.

As a former user of Cablevision (since I moved deeper into the island), I can back up Dames in saying, that Cablevision sucks ass. Screw up orders, bills too much for shows never ordered, etc. And damn it, I had an illegal box, but since they switched to digital, I couldn't watch Playboy or Spice. Damn Cablevision.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Does this mean I have to back to reading the Observer now?

Dames that Fucking sucks. As someone who lives on a different continent, and having similiar issues with Sky over their digital cable service, I can understand what youre going through (no Armageddon or Royal Rumble for me)

In addition, my many issues with TNA considered, I have stated that even though I cant watch the shows, I religously read the diatribe to understand what was going on, and I appreciate your level of detail in what you write.

Maybe you should consider a career in Journalism

Delaware has their own cablevision, only we call them Mediacom. They decided to block and remove all pay channels and if you want to upgrade to digital cable, you have to pay 50 bucks more a month to get the same package you had on basic. I'll be soo glad when someone finds a way to illegal rip off digital cable cause these people are dicks.

Anyway, sorry to hear you can't review TNA for awhile Dames. I myself am unable to watch TNA now because Dish Network doesn't cover it and my cable company is in the same bed with Satan that Cablevision is.

You were the connection I had with TNA until they get other things organized. Hoping it all gets settled soon cause we need the DAMES Diatribe of TNA.

Guest CommaderK9

Dames:

It truly sucks that you are unable to review TNA due to pure bureaucratic nonsense! I really enjoy your reviews, as I am unable to get TNA myself. Reading your play by play really makes it feel like I am there watching the program myself. Your reviews are balanced and oftimes hilarious! My sincere thanks for all of your hard work reviewing these shows. It was your Diatribes that brought me to this site! Here's hoping that cablevision get's their heads out of their asses and you can start reviewing again.

:D

Thank you everyone.

I have a feeling that the other sites that I write my TNA Diatribes will end up dropping me, so TSM may be the only place you can read my material very soon.

Hopefully, my readers will carry over and come here, which was the intention anyway.

Dames

We recently got the shaft here in RI, as Cox Cable is doing the "digital or nothing" trick with us. I haven't seen TNA since the week before the Duggan/Steiner fiasco, and it sucks. I mentioned getting digital to the people in my house, and being holiday season and all, it's the last on their list of priorities, so I've got a ways until I can order TNA again. Sucks.

It was the Diatribes that was keeping me up to speed, and it sucks to hear that you're having trouble too. You deserve a pat on the back, Dames, for constantly trying to get people into the product, and carved a nice niche for yourself as a reviewer. Here's hoping your cable situation is worked out soon enough.

That sucks Dames. Is Direct TV an option?

Sadly, in my current living situation, it simply isn't.

First off, as my real life friends like EQ can attest to, I live in a VERY strange building where the entrance is the 3rd floor. The reason for this is because my building was built in the middle of a cliff. The 2nd and 1st floors are actually underground...I live on the 2nd floor, so I get VERY little radio reception, shitty cell phone reception and it's practically a require meant to get some sort of hard line cable in order to view TV.

No satellites work down here.

Dames

Guest JacK

Yeah, damn that sucks. Your diatribes rock, I tell ya; and it certainly makes up in some degree for only being able to see TNA once a month. The Play-by-Play's rule, by the way; and the only time I skip 'em is when I've seen the show.

**Sigh** Dames, silly, we don't have time to write all this each week!

On a serious note, I only ordered 2 or 3 TNA shows(I enjoyed them, and although im not really into wrestling anymore, I still read your Diatribes, the same Diatribes that brought me back to wrestling for a period,when I bought the 2/3 TNAs) Also, your plan of getting people from other sites to come here works, thats how I was shipped out. Anyway, thanks for the great Diatribes, and believe me, you can make a show thats sucks ass, sound like it ruled ass, and you make it all entertaining.

So, thanks and I hope you can get TNA(Or whatever else you wan, for that matter) as soon as you can.

Good Luck Dames,

-SFJEB-

Why couldn't you guys send me feedback every week, dammit! I get like 5 emails an article tops.

Dames

:huh: Huh? You want me to write you a single e-mail of maybe this magnitude, each and EVERY week?

"Hey Dames,

Thanks once again for providing for me, my only way to know about NWA:TNA. Greatly appreciate the effort.

~ <insert my real name here>"

I mean, sorry Dames, but I'd figure that after awhile, you'd become annoyed with getting an e-mail each and every week saying the same exact thing. Hence why I haven't.

I realize that might be why I don't receive much feedback, but I was thinking more along the lines of picking something in my Diatribe that you'd like to comment on or question.

That's another reason why I've started to ask questions towards my readers in the first few paragraphs now, to try and get some sort of response and develop a rapport with my readers. They stay loyal that way.

Dames

Dames... you embody coolness in your diatribes. I could see you in TNA being a PBP announcer, going:

"OMG STYLES WITH THE CLASH! Can we say... overrated?" jk, but yeah you should look into PBP announcing for wrestling.

Thank you Ground Zero. It's actually something that I would like to do, but I really have no idea how to break into the business in that or any aspect.

Dames

Guest JacK

I dunno, it was weird, when I first started reading your things I was like 'What a tool, why is he even watching it when he clearly hates TNA?' This was like just before the Russo thing; but after a bit I was like . . . wow, he's good, every other TNA thing seems . . . lame by comparison.

Hopefully you get it fixed up, because like you mentioned in one of them once a while ago (and it stuck in my head) I'm an addict waiting for my TNA diatribe fix . . .