TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

The Titillating World of Cosplay

1) By saying "regardless" in that tone, he's inferring that looking like me is a negative trait.

2) I'm far more attractive than this girl.

I love the word infer, but this is completely improprer usage of it. Inferring means drawing a conclusion from the evidence available, it is not a synonym for imply.

Guest Leelee

1) By saying "regardless" in that tone, he's inferring that looking like me is a negative trait.

2) I'm far more attractive than this girl.

I love the word infer, but this is completely improprer usage of it. Inferring means drawing a conclusion from the evidence available, it is not a synonym for imply.

in·fer Audio pronunciation of "infer" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-fûr)

v. in·ferred, in·fer·ring, in·fers

v. tr.

1. To conclude from evidence or premises.

2. To reason from circumstance; surmise: We can infer that his motive in publishing the diary was less than honorable.

3. To lead to as a consequence or conclusion: “Socrates argued that a statue inferred the existence of a sculptor” (Academy).

4. To hint; imply.

Guest Leelee
I thought her screen name was Leelee and "her" real name was Michael (S.C.) so I find this banter about Leena confusing. Post more pictures, please.

Oh, teehee.

If I am Michael, then why don't you make sure HTQ knows of this, since he banned me.

Leelee is a largely worthless poster, and never has anything remotely worthy of discussion to say. That said, she isn't as much of a blatant, mouth-shitting asshat as Mike.

She's more like Besus.

I don't doubt Leena's definition of the word infer, but I can make words look pretty and official, too. Source?

EDIT: Actually...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infer

1 : to derive as a conclusion from facts or premises <we see smoke and infer fire -- L. A. White> -- compare IMPLY

So it seems that the words are not exactly synonyms, but comparable. More to the point, it would seem that the person committing the action would be "implying," while one observing the action would be "inferring."

Incidentally, I'm grammar Hitler, and even I find this argument anal.

A while way back a friend showed me a pic of a girl cosplayed as Pikachu...in a skin-tight outfight, yellow makeup on her face, the whole nine yards. Not a bad figure, either.

The woman who does Ling Ling's voice should cosplay like that. It would be so wrong and creepy it'd be awesome.

I'm having a hard time deciding which I giggled at more, the guy cosplaying Matthew Lesko or the eeriely accurate Paul Bearer.

I have a signed copy of Matthew Lesko's book, BTW. It was given to me as a gift, and I was very bitter that I didn't personally get a chance to meet him.

Holy shit, that article was funny. DO YOU WANT MONEY TO BUILD A SAILBOAT AND GO TO GUAM?!

So that site had people critizicing various cosplay outfits with a line that began "if I had my katana..." somewhere between the middle and the end.

Isn't the universe supposed to implode upon itself at this point?