• 1995- Mabel
    • 1996- Steve Austin
    • 1997- Hunter Hearst Helmsley
    • 1998- Ken Shamrock
    • 1999- Billy Gunn
    • 2000- Kurt Angle
    • 2001- Edge
    • 2002- Brock Lesnar

Which of the 10 was your favourite person to win the King of the Ring? It can be based on how much you liked the performer, how much they amounted to after the victory, or based on the quality of their matches leading up to the finals, it's up to you.

Just don't vote for Mabel.

Note- I only included the winners from PPV KOTR's, obviously.

I voted Austin, only because unlike Owen (my second pick), Austin made the most of his win and reached main event status. Owen made the "King of Harts" gimmick really entertaining, but he never fully reached the main event.

I almost voted for Mabel, just to be a smart-ass. Then I thought better and voted for Austin because his KOTR victory jumpstarted a revolution of wrestling.

Guest ToddRoyal

Austin was close, but I voted Owen, because it was just the perfect compliment to his character at the time. It gave Owen a trophy of sorts, to celebrate at a time when Bret was winning the World Title, and he couldn't capture a belt.

So when he won, he played it up like he just won the greatest prize in the world. He changed his nickname to the "King of Harts" and mentioned it any time he could. The best part of it all was, in addition to making the Owen character that much more obnoxious, it made the KOTR seem really important, after Bret didn't do much with it the year before besides starting the Lawler feud.

Bret, because without him the tournament would have had no credibility in future years. He MADE the tournament by trotting out 1 good, 1 very good, and 1 excellent match in the same night to have the only 3 good matches of the night.

If not, who knows if this would have even caught on like it did.

Jason

IMO, the best KOTR winner should go hand-in-hand with the best KOTR tournament. After all, which means more - to go through three grueling matches in one night, where the next match is more punishing than the last, or to basically be handed the tournament after getting easy victories over random lower mid-card talent.

So the answer is Bret Hart. He made the KOTR in 93 and each year after that the tournament lost just a little more prestigue. Runner up is Owen.

Mabel - wrestled twice, got an interference pin over Taker and was handed a win over the exhausted newcomer Savio Vega

Austin - wrestled twice and walked all over an injured Jake Roberts in the final

Triple H - wrestled twice, the latter of which was actually entertaining even though you could see the outcome coming weeks before the PPV took place

Shamrock - wrestled twice, the latter of which made for a very solid and entertaining blowoff-esque match with then-IC champ the Rock

Gunn - wrestled three times, beating Shamrock, Kane, and X-Pac ... and still couldn't get himself over without the Road Dogg

Angle - though the tournament was poorly booked and the talent featured could have been considerably better, Angle winning immediately boosted him into the world title picture

Edge - does anyone clearly remember this? Bueller? Though it got people to pay attention to Edge as a singles wrestler, it didn't do jack for his career (aside from the fact Christian got to carry around the trophy for a few months)

Brock - I agree with the winner but I generally loathe the 4-man tourneys ... the finals against RVD could have made for a great series of rematches but we just got that one on PPV, never saw it myself

Guest Dynamite Kido

Here is my Ranking from best to worst.

1. Bret Hart

2. Steve Austin

3. Owen Hart

4. Kurt Angle

5. Brock Lesner

6. Triple H

7. Edge

8. Ken Shamrock

9. Billy Gunn

10. Mabel

Guest BAR

1993 - Bret Hart. The only King of the Ring that I actually enjoyed. Although, 1996 was quite memorable.

Well when the only people that saw it were in the arena - I don't think it counts for much. You can add Muraco, Race, Santana, and Savage to that list.

And Bret Hart, I'm pretty sure he won in '92, meaning he was a 2 time winner in 1993.

I always believe a true KOTR tournament should have the final 8 on the PPV. I never enjoyed them as much when they cut down to the semi-finals.

Yeah, my vote goes to Bret.

Its funny though at the time of when the KOTR happened:

1995 - I was going for HBK to win with Undertaker as my 2nd pick.

1999 - I was going for Kane in the DX tournament. :P

2000 - I was going for Benoit with Jericho as my 2nd pick.

2002 - I seriously believed RVD was gonna win it.

Here is my Ranking from best to worst.

1. Bret Hart

2. Steve Austin

3. Owen Hart

4. Kurt Angle

5. Brock Lesner

6. Triple H

7. Edge

8. Ken Shamrock

9. Billy Gunn

10. Mabel

Well, by that measure at least Edge didn't "Billy Gunn" the title.

I picked Owen mainly because he did the most with the title. Bret won it, but it was really just a bud to begin the several year feud with Jerry Lawler. Austin's success spawned off the victory, but he never really let it show that it was started with winning King. Mabel brought it up, but I don't feel the need to explain it. Owen was the KING of Hearts, he had a great tournament, deserved the victory, it boosted his career in the right direction, despite not going entirely, and most of all, for years he made sure the royalty was recognized.

Guest undisputedjericho

"I'm the king, which in your culture is like an emporer or head ninja."

Kurt Angle rules all.

Guest The Midnight Rocking Warrior

If Dibiase doesn't count then................ Austin, just for his acceptance speech

Guest Ray

Steve Austin, easily.

"As the King of the Ring, I'm serving notice to every WWF superstar. I don't care what they are, they're all on the list, and that's STONE COLD'S list and I'm fixing to start running through all of them..."

Guest Homeless Guy Spare Some Change

stone cold all the way, it was obviously the start of something big but also it spawned the creation of Austin 3:16 legend

Guest Mosaicv2

best-

Bret Hart- because it started his great feud with Jerry Lawler

Owen Hart- gave birth of the "King of Harts" gimmick

Steve Austin- the true Stone Cold is born

Ken Shamrock- im sorry... i mark out for Shamrock

Kurt Angle- just a great moment

Brock Lesnar- just to build his career more

worst-

Mabel- didnt get him anyway except a shitty Summerslam match with Kevin Nash (Diesel) :throwup:

Triple H- bein a reign of terror i despise

Billy Gunn- borin King of the Ring ever besides 2002

Edge- didnt do anythin for his career NOTHIN!! :(

Guest Mosaicv2
How did Mabel get 3 votes, but Shamrock got none?

relax man... these are the same people who says Randy "Below Average" Orton needs a push