TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

TIME's ??? Of The Year

I have no problem with that at all.

Considering this year, this seems like the best option and a good call.

Very rarely do I say TIME made the right choice....but TIME made the right choice.

Guest Cerebus

I was a proud member of the US military up until recently. I rarely say this, but I'm very grateful to the people at Time Warner for this. God bless.

Guest Redhawk

All this shows me is TIME couldn't make a firm decision in time. Isn't this two years in a row that the "Person" of the year was more than one person? Last year it was the "whistle-blowers." People might look at it as something cool, but from working in the journalism/publication business, I can almost guarantee that they were sitting areound, not able to make a decision, and then at the last mnute were like, "Let's just go with the American Solider." USually, when you're supposed to go one way with a feature and you end up doing something like picking a group, that's how the process went. Which is dumb, because they could have picked George Bush, Saddam Hussein, Kobe Bryant...it's not supposed to be "Good Person of the Year," just who made the most news. I think they wanted to pick Saddam but were afraid of the public backlash.

Sickening ploy. Time never supported the war, the country, the President, or the troops. They're just covering their rears by wrapping themselves up in phony bandwagon patriotism.

Guest Cerebus

I'm for any support given to our troops, but anyone who thinks Time's Man of the Year matters since they didn't have the balls to make Osama Bin Laden man of the year in 2001 raise your hand...

Sickening ploy. Time never supported the war, the country, the President, or the troops.

And once again, the stupid assumption is made that all these things are one and the same. :rolleyes:

PS: This was the right move by them, IMO.

Edited by Jobber of the Week

Guest deadbeater

Whether the paths the leaders selected are right or wrong, the soldiers make it right for everyone. Even though I was against going to Iraq, the soldiers there performed for the most part fabulously.

So Cancer, never say the dissenters did not support the troops. We just don't support where they were ordered to go, as the government seemed to have lost track of Osama for the last nine months.

cerebus, If the US and the world didn't recover from 9/11, Osama was not only Man of the Year, but one of the Men for all Time, for being able to topple two superpowers. But the US did, and Giuliani came to symbolize the recovery effort.

Edited by deadbeater

Guest JMA
Sickening ploy. Time never supported the war, the country, the President, or the troops. They're just covering their rears by wrapping themselves up in phony bandwagon patriotism.

You may be right about the war and the President, but how did they not support the troops or the country? Did they do something I'm not aware of?

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't read Time.

So Cancer, never say the dissenters did not support the troops. We just don't support where they were ordered to go, as the government seemed to have lost track of Osama for the last nine months.

Am I the only one who finds it somewhat intellectually dishonest & duplicitious to say you support the troops, but then tell them - repeatedly - that what they're fighting for is based on nothing but lies?

Well, it's kinda like the son who goes and slaps someone in his Kindergarten class. He did something bad, but you still love him. Therefore, you must scold and spank him. I guess that's an apt comparison.

Am I the only one who finds it somewhat intellectually dishonest & duplicitious to say you support the troops, but then tell them - repeatedly - that what they're fighting for is based on nothing but lies?

When did I "tell them" anything? Unless you're lumping me in with people who hold signs where troops are returning to their families or something. I just think they deserve better, and voters should expect it.

I may sound stupid here, but what about the British that have died in Iraq, are their lives not worth being part of this Time thing of the year? Or only american lives are worth anything in Iraq?

Guest Redhawk

I "support the troops" in the sense that I hope they don't get killed. But I don't agree with the reason they're fighting. Isn't that all that "support the troops" means, anyway?

I may sound stupid here, but what about the British that have died in Iraq, are their lives not worth being part of this Time thing of the year? Or only american lives are worth anything in Iraq?

Well, the award is from a magazine with an American-only readership that is distributed only in the US, so....

the answer to your first question is apparently no.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Yeah, fuck the rest of the troops that were in Iraq.

I fucking hate American culture sometimes.

Well, the award is from a magazine with an American-only readership that is distributed only in the US, so....

the answer to your first question is apparently no.

You know, that is an EXCELLENT point, and I wish I had thought of it.

Especially since with all the can't-we-get-along-with-France/Germany/Russia talk going on, it would have been nice to recognize all of the nations that are backing the U.S. up.

But I guess that would mean TIME would have to admit that the U.S. isn't as isolationist as they, and other media, try to label us as...

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame
Sadly, the TSM Great Wall is still under construction...

You can't block me out - I am British - we are your friends! (or so my Prime Minister tells me!)