TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

The OAO Super Bowl Thread

You also have New England out to become the early "TEAM OF 00'S" in the NFL if they can win the Super Bowl. Not only that, but Tom Brady is looking to remain UNDEFEATED in the playoffs against a team that just wins.

This is the 2001 Super Bowl repeated, only this time NE is the team some reporters want to call a dynasty while Carolina is the group of unknowns led by a QB that no one truly believes in. New England is now the offense using the five wide receivers.

If in 2000, someone told you that the New England Patriots and the Carolina Panthers would be the two top defenses and teams in the NFL by 2003, I'm sure most of us would have laughed.

Is it a better story than last year? Hell no, but the story is there.

You have two of the great defensive minds in football ready to go head to head. You have the Patriots, a team that handed the Panthers their 15th straight loss in 2001 and now the Panthers stand between the Patriots going for their 15th straight win and the Super Bowl.

But will it do well? If you are a true hardcore football fan who loves old school smack them in the mouth defenses then you have two going at it. This is my DREAM Super Bowl. Defense against Defense.

Smash mouth football.

Not with these defenses.

Another '02/'04 colollary: In '02, the Super Bowl was in New Orleans, hometown of Rams RB Marshall Faulk.

This year, it's in Houston, hometown of Patriots RB Antowain Smith.

Freaky.

Guest El Satanico

But in today's NFL you can never tell. It's not abnormal for Games expected to be shootouts to turn into defensive battles and for games expected to be defensive battles to turn into shootouts.

Is anyone else trying to avoid at least 90% of superbowl coverage? The two weeks prior to a superbowl is the worst part of the actual football season.

I'll reiterate here what I said in one of the other football threads ... the comparison between this year's Panthers and the SB winning Patriots are valid (unknown QB comes off the bench, underrated castoff RB, huge hitting defense, etc.)

But there is no way that you can compare this year's Pats to the Rams of that year. That team had a fancy nickname and a coach too stubborn to do anything besides the "Greatest Show on Turf". If he'd have gone to Faulk early and often, the Rams would have won. But no, he kept throwing and his WRs were too chickenshit to take a hit. Belichick won't be like that, nor will the Pats. Look for them to keep as many guys in the box to shutdown Foster and Davis, and force Delhomme to beat them. And I don't see Delhomme having the skills to win a SB on his own.

I'll reiterate here what I said in one of the other football threads ... the comparison between this year's Panthers and the SB winning Patriots are valid (unknown QB comes off the bench, underrated castoff RB, huge hitting defense, etc.)

But there is no way that you can compare this year's Pats to the Rams of that year. That team had a fancy nickname and a coach too stubborn to do anything besides the "Greatest Show on Turf". If he'd have gone to Faulk early and often, the Rams would have won. But no, he kept throwing and his WRs were too chickenshit to take a hit. Belichick won't be like that, nor will the Pats. Look for them to keep as many guys in the box to shutdown Foster and Davis, and force Delhomme to beat them. And I don't see Delhomme having the skills to win a SB on his own.

The best part is, even if the Pats stuff the line and play perdominantly Run-Defense, they still have Poole and Law shutting down Carolina's top 2 recievers. So basically in order for the Kittens to do anything on Offense they have to do it with Delhomme throwing to his 3-4-5 recievers...Heh.

Warren Sapp is making me laugh my ass off by saying the Pats have no chance on PTI on ESPN now. And winning does not matter in the NFL sez the almighty Sapp, so Brady should not be considered for MVP.

Guest Choken One

I agreed about the props he gave the Panthers D line but he just sounds bitter as hell.

Well, Sapp should know about losing a lot this year. Hell, he lost TWICE to the Panthers.

And he said something like "everytime I've faced their O-line, they were awful." The Pats and Bucs played, what, ONCE in the last 5 years, and that was when Carroll was coach and the O-line did suck.

Warren Sapp was a bigger dick than Keyshawn but the difference was they couldn't IR that piece of crap cause he would have called racism.

I love the Panthers defense and I think they have a very strong running attack but New England has no chance because the almighty Sapp, who hasn't faced the Pats since Bledsoe was QB, claims the OL is horrible.

Warren Sapp is the most overrated DL in the National Football League and while I still can't pick either the Pats or Panthers because the defenses are so damn strong on both sides, I don't respect the opinion of this moron.

But there is no way that you can compare this year's Pats to the Rams of that year.  That team had a fancy nickname and a coach too stubborn to do anything besides the "Greatest Show on Turf".  If he'd have gone to Faulk early and often, the Rams would have won.  But no, he kept throwing and his WRs were too chickenshit to take a hit.  Belichick won't be like that, nor will the Pats.  Look for them to keep as many guys in the box to shutdown Foster and Davis, and force Delhomme to beat them.  And I don't see Delhomme having the skills to win a SB on his own.

The best part is, even if the Pats stuff the line and play perdominantly Run-Defense, they still have Poole and Law shutting down Carolina's top 2 recievers. So basically in order for the Kittens to do anything on Offense they have to do it with Delhomme throwing to his 3-4-5 recievers...Heh.

Well the Panthers number 3 reciever is Ricky Proehl, who has always been a very solid reciever in his career.

As anybody can see, I'm pulling for my hometown team, but I think this is going to be a really close game. Final score 27-24 Panthers. I look for the Panthers secondary to come up with some big plays, and I see Delhomme totally fazing out the blitz.

Guest Choken One

I'm still convinced with so much Hype about the amazing Defenses, The game becomes a shootout...

Guest FrigidSoul

Ricky Proehl, who got his ass killed in SB XXXVI by Belichik's defense.

I'm sorry but I think the Patriots are going to dominate this game. You can all think what you want but the Patriots have an all around better team and coaching staff.

Guest Choken One

I'm very curious what scandal CBS tries to create...

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Panthers WR Smith was the cause of Ty Law's Marriage breaking up because Mrs. Law couldn't resist Smith's Pawrific attack.

What everybody seems to be forgetting when they talk about how great a game this is going to be is that when there are two weeks between the conference championships and the Super Bowl, the game almost always sucks ass.

The Patriots win a blowout because I went into the playoffs saying "As long as the Patriots don't win, then I'm happy." Heaven forbid I ever root for a winner under any circumstances.

I don't see how anyone can say that this will be a blowout for either team, and I'm a complete Pats mark. Other than the Bills game to end the season, when was the last time that the Patriots blew out ANYONE?!? They don't win games that way, even games that they basically dominate (Colts last weekend) end up being a close game. I truly see the Pats winning by 10 or so, but not the blowout that a lot of Pats fans (both on this board and in 'real life').

And Crandamaniac, I'll agree with you that Proehl isn't a horrible receiver, but he's not the type of receiver that will have a "10 catches for 190 yards" game that will be necessary if New England is able to shut down the run. If Davis and Foster can't get moving, Delhomme will have to throw more in this one game than he did in all three previous playoff games. Plus, history has proven that Proehl shies away from big hits (see Super Bowl XXXVI for an example), and this year's Pats secondary hits harder than that year's team did.

Page 2 has their 100 Greatest Superbowl Moments article up. Here's the top 10:

10. XVIII: Raiders RB Marcus Allen avoids a wall of Redskins defenders and goes 74 yds for a TD to end the third quarter and put the game away.

9. XXXIV: With the score tied at 16 with 2 minutes left in regulation, Rams QB Kurt Warner connects with a floater to Issac Bruce, who takes it the rest of the way (73 yards) and gives the Rams the lead.

8. XXXII: With the score tied at 17 and needing a first down deep in Packer territory, Broncos QB John Elway is forced to take it himself, charging for the marker. He's hit by LeRoy Butler and helicopters in the air before taking another hit, but getting the first down anyway.

7. XVII: 4th and 1 on the Dolphins 43 with 10 minutes left. Redskins RB John Riggins gets the ball on a play called "70 chip" and takes it all the way for the winning TD.

6. X: In the second, Steelers WR Lynn Swann, covered like a blanket, leaps high in the air over the defender and makes a spectacular grab.

5. III: After upsetting the Colts, Jets QB Joe Namath runs towards the locker room, index finger extended in the air.

4. XXV: Only need to say two words for Bills fans to start cursing - Wide Right. For the uninitiated, with the Giants leading by one and the Bills down to their last play, Kicker Scott Norwood lines up for a game winning 47 yard field goal.....but shanks it to the right.

3. XXXVI: 17-17, seven seconds left. Adam Vinatieri strolls onto the field for a 48 yard game winner. Snap.....kick........money.

2. XXXIV: As Titans fans would say - One Yard Short. Rams are up 23-16 late, but Steve McNair drives the Titans right down the field all the way to the Rams 10 with :06 left. McNair hits Kevin Dyson on a slant at the 3, but gets hit at the 2 by Mike Jones. Dyson tries to extend the ball, but he goes down at the one.

1. XXIII: The 49ers trail the Bengals 16-13 with 3:10 left. QB Joe Montana takes the team on his back at their own 8 and drives down to the Bengals 10 with :39 left. On the next play Roger Craig, the primary receiver, is double covered, but that allows WR John Taylor to break free in the end zone and Montana finds him for the game winning TD.

Guest FrigidSoul

I think the FG win in XXXVI was better than XXXIV's finish. Maybe my love for the Pats has me biased but if the Pats hadn't made that drive (which I refer to as The Drive, even over Elway's) then I think the Rams win that game in OT because the momentum was deffinately turning.

1. XXIII: The 49ers trail the Bengals 16-13 with 3:10 left. QB Joe Montana takes the team on his back at their own 8 and drives down to the Bengals 10 with :39 left. On the next play Roger Craig, the primary receiver, is double covered, but that allows WR John Taylor to break free in the end zone and Montana finds him for the game winning TD.

Good choice.

Heaven forbid I ever root for a winner under any circumstances.

That's what happens when you live in Cleveland

It doesn't even have to be a Cleveland game. If I ever root for the Yankees to win a World Series, that'll be the year they get swept and lose every game 45-0.

This year's Dexter Jackson or Larry Brown will be probably Rodney Harrison, been making big plays for the Pats throughout the whole season.

No. I'm not taling about the star player. I meant the player who comes out of know where and has a big game. Should of explained the question better.

I'm going to go with David Givens. He's still pretty unknown, but the Panthers are poor against the pass (Manning Jr.'s performance nonwithstanding), and Givens has become one of Brady's favorite receivers this year. I think he led the team in TD catches this season.