Carolina Panthers  $1.2 million under 

New Orleans Saints  $16.3 million under 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers  $5.22 million under 

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals  $15.8 million under

St. Louis Rams  $3.22 million under

San Francisco 49ers  $2.38 million under 

Seattle Seahawks  $6.94 million under 

Texans make a nice signing adding Robaire Smith for 6yrs/$26.3 mil with an $8 mil signing bonus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1750701

Looks like the Titans are going to be getting some solid compensatory picks with Kearse and Smith gone.

Actually if memory serves neither was put with the franchise or transition tags because the Titans couldn't afford the tags. So, the Titans won't get any compensatory picks for either one.

Ahhh, good first couple days for Texans fans. Resign Walker to a lower cap number, sign Wade (overpaid a little IMO, but still good pick up) and now Smith. Now we get a good young corner (Wingfield perhaps?) and the draft can go to filling in depth rather than looking for an instant starter.

They will still get compensatory picks from the league (the extra ones at the end of the round), but you are right in that they won't get picks from the teams that signed the players.

The Eagles got a 4th round pick for Trotter a couple of years ago, so Kearse might be worth a third round pick in compensation from the league.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

and the Ravens don't have to give him a bigass signing bonus.

of course, you know Ray Lewis will inevitably beat the shit out of him at practice.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

and if the Pats are really moving up in the first, I think they might look at a replacement for the S.S. Washington.

Heh, WIP is going to be fun to listen to on the way home tonight considering the Eagles could have had him if they had sweetened the pot just a little.

You know, as soon as I heard this I thought the exact same thing. The switchboards should be lighting up already with people ready to bitch.

At least it sounds like the Phils did good today.

I will hold off bitching until they finish the whole offseason. Signing Kearse certainly bought them some time from me. They still need to address WR and LB, ASAP. CB should be dealt with, but they could bring in a lower tier FA for that and I would be fine with it. I would like to see them pick up Ian Gold and take a WR early. I would love to see them trade up and grab Fitz, Roy W., or Mike W.

And I really don't want them sending a 1st rounder to Tennessee for McCareins.

I haven't heard much about Emmons. Is there any chance of bringing him back at LB? I thought that he did a really good job last year.

I'd be alright with giving up a 1st rounder for McCarins if they can't trade up for one of the big 3 WRs coming out in the draft. McCarrins will be better than who they could get with their pick.

I think they pissed off Emmons. With his injury and the apparently sizeable contract proposal the agent faxed over to them, they just decided to let the market dictate his value. I understand their position, I would do the same thing, but he was upset that they did not give him a counter proposal. So they may have burned their bridge with him. I would love to see him back though, but not at what he apparently thinks he is worth.

As for McCareins, I am just tired of Reid taking these lesser receivers from other teams (Thrash, the attempt at Darrius Thompson last year) and thinking he can turn them into stars. With the WR crop in this year's draft, you are guaranteed to get a high level WR prospect at the end of the first round and if the chips fall right (other teams in the first rouund not jumping on receivers) you could steal a very high level prospect. I would rather take a chance on one of them, as opposed to another team's retread.

I hadnt heard what the Ravens were giving up for Owens but if its only a 2nd round pick, then thats great, as I had heard they were going to have to offer Ed Hartwell.

He is due to make $17.7 million in base salary over the next three seasons, including $5.3 million next year — a relative bargain for one of the NFL's best receivers.

I would really hope with the Ravens cap room that they renegotiate that contract to keep him in Baltimore longer than 3 years.

And this is pretty cool since the Orioles got Tejada from Oakland and The Ravens got Owens from SF. Baltimore raids the Bay Area yet again!

Having Owens will defitely free up the offense a ton. Boller can throw the ball, the recievers were the ones that were often letting him down by dropping catches all the time (looking at you Travis Taylor). They probably won't keep Marcus Robinson (hes become a top Free Agent WR now) but Im kinda hoping they do since the Ravens dont really have a good #2 WR and now teams will double team Owens. But at least they wont be able to stick 8 men up to stop Jamal Lewis (or whoever its gonna be) all the time.

Horrible weekend to be a Titans fan. Kearse gone, Robaire Smith gone. Perhaps our two best linemen right there. McCareins might be gone. There goes that #1 ranked rush defense.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
TO is overrated.

Please care to elaborate? He may have a big mouth, but he's arguably the best receiver in the league - in and around Harrison and Moss.

Guest OctoberBlood
TO is overrated.

Please care to elaborate? He may have a big mouth, but he's arguably the best receiver in the league - in and around Harrison and Moss.

He drops the ball way too much, and it's not like he's in a league of his own, IMO. Chad Johnson, who is way underrated, is just as good, if not ebtter than TO. First off, Chad doesn't drop many balls, Chad averaged 17 and 15 yards per catch the last 2 seasons. TO has more yards because hes the 9ners main, and almost only option. I am not saying he is bad, or sucks - but he is highly overrated, IMO.

I'd say TO is a distant third to Moss & Harrison. Besides the obvious headcase issues, Owens hands just aren't that great.

But he's bigger and stronger than those guys. His hands may not be as great, but when his head is in the game, I'd say he's easily in the same league as Moss...and definately more than Harrison.

Harrison is the best WR in the league.

Bah to that.

Yeah, Harrison just goes out and makes plays and doesn't run his mouth. Hell, I don't even think that I have even heard the guy talk before and he has probably been the most consistient WR of the last 6 or so seasons

He tried to talk at the end of the 2002-2003 season. He was in the running for MVP, and he was getting interviewed about that on the field post-game. Of course, other players kept jumping in and saying how he should be MVP, and then eventually Peyton Manning sauntered over and half took over the interview. Even though the interview was about Marvin Harrison, he barely got a word in.

The only thing his teammates had to say, though, was how good he was. I guarantee you wouldn't have a similar interview with Owens, and probably not with Moss either.

Harrison and Moss are better than Owens. Physically, Moss is better than Owens. Mentally, Harrison is better than Owens. Hell, guys like Chad Johnson and Torry Holt are better than Owens IMO. He just didn't produce enough in 2003-2004 to garner the sort of acclaim that Moss and Harrison get.

Owens to me is the best WR in the league, IN THE OPEN FIELD, once he gets the ball, he has the strength, speed and moves to take it to the house on every catch. That makes him one of the best easily. Now I don't think he is one of the best at getting seperation. I watched two years ago live in person at 3Com park, TO get handled by Fred Smoot all game long, where his only production was on a reverse gone whacko, but it resulted in a TD because once again, the TO in the open field factor. However he was pretty much kept under wraps in the passing game, but Smoot, not Bailey keep in mind, but Smoot. Not to say Smoot is any slouch at CB, but Smoot is still a #2 CB for now....

Not to say Smoot is any slouch at CB, but Smoot is still a #2 CB for now....

He doesnt need to be a #1 now that they have Shawn Springs.

I guess trading Champ Bailey for Portis and signing Shawn Springs is good for the Redskins..

Wait...didn't Baltimore trade their first rounder last draft? So now they've traded their second...It's gonna be a boring draft day for Raven's fans.

Not that Owens isn't worth a second round pick.

Boller wasn't worth the first though.