TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karnage

The OAO Showdown: Legends of Wrestling Thread!

After six hours of play. I stand by my B- grade of the game. AKA about 8/10 on a numbe scale.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
After six hours of play. I stand by my B- grade of the game. AKA about 8/10 on a numbe scale.

How does a B- = 8 out of 10? B- isn't that great of a mark but 8/10 is.

Because I was tired as hell when I wrote the post lol. Maybe I should up my letter grade to B+ since thats more on par with 8/10.

I broke down and bought the game today, but only because my brother paid half of it for me just because he wanted to try it out, so it ended up costing me only $21 or so. I'll post my thoughts on it throughout the day or something like that.

Wow, Bobby Heenan just told Jake "The Snake" Roberts, that was great. Have any of you heard him say that Jake is such a sad story, and that he needs to get cleaned up and get his act together?

Overall, I like this game right now, but it will wear very thin, very quickly. I'll play it to death for a while, then tire of it, and trade it in for something else in the next few weeks or whatever. All in all it's an ok game, but with WAY too many glitches, bugs, and just bad aspects. I'll post more soon.

Yeah, the commentary is a lot better than I'd thought it'd be. Not as much repitition as most wrestling games. Considering I have it for X-Box, it's the best wrestling game for the system.

How the fuck do you make a game THIS 'buggy' and not notice it? Are the retards over at Acclaim blind or something? No amount of logical thought can justify why the hell they didn't leave the game in production for a few more months to, you know, make it playable.

Horseshit.

2 out of 10.

UYI

The more I play it, the more faults and bugs that I find in it, thus THE MORE IT'S MAKING ME FUCKING HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are times where you are on one side of the ring, your opponent on the other side, and you press a button but it just doesn't do anything at all, with the reason being that your opponent has entered in a command for a move, which goes into effect without you even being CLOSE to them, which can lead to some very cheap ass wins...simply because there is nothing you can do about it when that bullshit happens.

Oddly I haven't had any problems with it yet. I finally got a handle on the game control and I'm enjoying it. I took Hennig through the Showdown Challenge, went through the 70's fairly quickly. I'm able to bust out the Hennig snapmare pretty regularly.

So far no bad problems for me, just sore thumbs.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
I'm enjoying despite the bugs.

You wouldn't say otherwise anyway, you've been pimping this game for months.

I rented the game yesterday and well, it's just bad. Theres really no point in doing grapples or moves when all you hafto do is constantly punch to fill up your Momentum metre and drain your opponent's health. Finishers are pretty easy to do and some wrestlers even have Secondary finishers. For example, Macho Man has the Flying Elbow Drop as one finisher, the tombstone piledriver as another.

The Showdown challenge is just 5 matches in each era (With a pretty cool video clip in each) and then finally Hulk Hogan (Who also has his own video clip). There are storylines such as challenges and an opponent hitting on your girlfriend which is presented in a magazine style format throughout. It's cool but nothing too exciting. After you beat the Hulkster, all you are rewarded with is a variation of a loading time picture with your wrestler and "Showdown Champion" on it.

The Classic matches are a handful of matches that you play starting in the middle or key moment of that match. You keep finishing each classic match until you unlock more Classic matches which ends in the big Classic match with Hulk Hogan VS Andre The Giant. What I found really funny was they have Ultimate Warrior VS Hulk Hogan as one of the classic matches, but it looks like they based it on their horrible Halloween Havoc rematch as you hafto control Hulk for the win. Or, it could be just rewriting of history.

The game does have its bugs that almost everyone is complaining about. Wrestlers would just melt through ropes or tables, weapons would look like they are sinking in the mats, and wrestlers would teleport for no reason in some cases. The commentary is cool with its little anecdotes and such, but they would get excited over the least of things and some of the calls would be a little late, but I'd expect that from any game with commentary.

If you absolutely must play this game, then rent it with a caution. I give this game a 2/5.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

Rented it yesterday, just to see for myself, & i have to say i'm not impressed. I love the roster, but thats about it. Seems like everyone is the same guy, just with a different look, height or weight. It seems slow as hell, the ref in particular, & the bugs while they didn't bug me too much initially are driving me fucking crazy now. Standing through the ropes, suddenly being flung outstide the ring when i hit a running move-nothing about this game is fluid. Hell, nothing is solid either.

Why is CAL worth the memory space? I don't know, i'm asking. It seems so lifeless & bland.

I'll go 5/10, only because i love the roster, mark for Cappetta, enjoy the arenas, & that it enabled me to hit on the Blockbuster girl. But overall, it's just fucking Warzone in a new rapper, it seems like.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

ugh it's the same game as LOW2, serously, there seems to be no new moves, no new anything, the showdown challenge is a joke, the controls seems less fluid than LOW2 and there is more slowdown.

IMO, LOW2 was loads better than this game and LOW2 wasn't all that great either.

Can someone help me about the supposed five hidden wrestlers that you un-lock when you beat Showdown Challenge mode on hard? I've heard: Brock, Austin, Hall, Nash, and Goldberg.

Any help?

There are no hidden wrestlers.If any of the 5 names you mentioned were included then Acclaim would have been promoting it on their site.

just a random rant/question does anybodyelse believe that the game play,and graphics both suffered due to the roster being so big? I mean there are so many glitches the CAW sucks the storymode sucks......this game is for die hard fans only and even they will more than likely not enjoy it THQ has really spoiled us with the Smackdown franchise

I have already traded Showdown back in at Blockbuster, and picked up Spider-Man 2 instead. That game is about a million times better than Showdown, ugh.

I just hope that I can now block Showdown out of my memory.

The game sucks, it just sucks. It was good for week, but it is starting to get boring. Worse yet my CAWS I got: Flair, Benoit, Michaels were deleted. I started work on Foley, and my game fucks up. Worse yet, I blew through Showdown mode in one day as The Warrior of all people, and it was on Midcard difficulty. I feel sorry for all the people who signed onto this shit fest. I may play it one last time, but I am selling it to Hollywood Video Game Crazy store, the place where I bought it from. I am probably gonna trade it for Spiderman 2. Hell, I may just bring another game with me to sell it: maybe my copy of Max Payne. I could use 20 extra dollars.

Guest Scotsman

I love this game, just because it was so bad it inspired me to write a review on it. It's that bad.

I'm glad in the UK it was released later, I was able to check reviews and decide not to buy it instead of rushing out to get it on release day.

I played it at Wal Mart on the X Box (OMG SELLOUT!).

Andy Kaufman vs Jerry Lawler..

KAUFMAN WINS!

About the only positives I got out of it were the roster, which was pretty awesome, and hearing Tony Schiavone, Larry Zbyszko & Bobby "The Brain" Heenan (Felt like I was watching WCW again even though for the most part it was repetitive).

The graphics were OK but having just gotten WM 19 today (for $4.99 at CC) I'd say that its graphics were much better looking. I know theres a style difference between the two but still. Also, I really hated the controls but it was more of an infamiliarity with the X Box controller than anything.

I only played it for about 6 or 7 minutes, but from what I Saw Id say it was probably a wee bit better than LOW2 (which I have for Gamecube). LOW:S isn't coming out for the Gamecube so I dont have to worry about it (I probably would have passed).

Guest John Dub

I got this when it first came out. It reminds me of the older Acclaim games, but more or less all the negative points. I don't know though, I enjoy the game. It's not that good and I can't play it for long periods of time, but the roster and the fact you can still pull off relatively decent matches from time to time.

Today I did WWF vs. NWA, DiBiase, Hogan, Warrior and Savage against Race, Orton, Rhodes and Funk in an elimination match and it was really good. It lasted a while, lots of back and forth action, and a come from behind victory.

All in all, I'd say wait until it's about 20 bucks.

I noticed they gave Warrior way to many moves for this game, he actually does a f'n moonsault. This is a good rental, and I normally do not say that about wrestling games.

All they need now is to add Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, and then, we'll have all 4 (or 5, if you count Pillman) members of the Hart Foundation.